Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

Mead Moon

Golden mead, fermented with fruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

Ahhhh... finally a scent I LOVE LOVE LOVE... :P

Mead Moon is a sweet, tart, spiced but not spicy fermented honey scent. It's got an herby-floral twist to keep it from getting too overwhelming on the booze and sweetness fronts, and stays remarkably true to form--from when I put it on my wrist to its dry-down. It does smell a little scarily sweet-boozy in the bottle, but as soon as it's on my skin it turns into something lovely.

A delightful scent that will rotate through my favorites...

In the imp: Very faint, I'm not getting much of anything, except maybe something creamy.

On me: It turns into creamy lemon. There's a tiny bit of spice in the background as well, along with a bit of sweetness from the honey. I think the fermented-ness is making me feel a bit queasy. As it dries, it gets a bit medicinal on me, sort of like Snake Oil does. I almost feel lucky that this isn't instant love on me, because it's so loved and hard to find now. :P

*kicks self in ass multiple times*

Why god... did I pass this up???? I was scared at the word "mead" cause booze and I are like oil and water...

But I got a decant from my Lovely witch.. and I can't believe how big of a fool I was to pass this by!!! Dumbdumbdumb!!!

But Holy mother of god this is fantastic!!! It's not like a foody honey at all *YAY!* It's a sweet herbal honey with a tish tash of citrus just barely peeking it's head through. And I mean barely. The clove is very mellow.. as is the nutmeg. I think I was scared that this would be a foody/alcohol blend.. which is just pure evil on me. But my god... This is fantastic. It's pure joy and I will require more. :P

I passed on this the first time because booze and honey generally don't work on me. I broke down later and got an imp in a swap. It smells like honey lemon cough drops with a little floral in the imp (must be the sweetbriar). When I applied it went almost immediately to baby powder, but very strong! :P I had to scrub it off. :D Apparently sweetbriar is a kind of rose and when you add it and honey to my chemistry it turns into something icky. Well, I will make someone else very happy.

In the bottle: Sweet! Honey first, followed by citrus. Then an herby scent as it hits the air. Wow, this smells great to me.

Wet: The citrus smell ramps and turns into identifiable lemon. There's something else that goes hand in hand with it, something it partners well with. The herbs and cinnamon mix well, and it smells like a bouquet. The honey is underneath tying everything together, but it's not nearly as sweet and powerful as it was at first. This smells joyous to me, like the scent itself is sentient and rejoicing.

Twenty minutes: The herbs have tempered the honey and citrus. Although it smells spicy, I can't identify any of the listed spices. It smells almost musky now.

One hour: Honey and herbs, with a disturbing powdery note somewhere in the middle. But the closer I get to my wrist, the better it smells.

Two and a half hours: The herbs are still running the show. The honey has lost its sweetness and died back into floral, which intensifies the powdery note. The muskiness is still underneath everything else, though.

Several hours later: This one definitely smelled like mead with herbs, but I was disappointed that the spices were so low-key.

I traded this for a bottle of original "Schwarzer Mond" and never looked back. My trading partner was just as thrilled to get this, so it's all good.

Honey in the imp. Not surprising--it's Mead Moon, after all.

Wet on the skin, the honey blooms but there's also an almost anise note in there, that makes it sort of like a honey-flavored cough drop. I don't know if that's an effect of all the extra spice/herb stuff going on, but I'm reminded of Ricola. The longer it's on, the stronger it gets, but only if I get close to my skin. Not much throw at this point.

It doesn't really change as it dries. I get a *hint* of something floral, but nothing overpowering which, if sweet-briar is actually a rose, is really impressive with my chemistry. However, the cough syrup aspect of this means it's not appealing. Off to swaps.

IN THE IMP: Very heady. Boozy, dark, syrupy honey. Almost floral.

WET: I was worried about the honey note in this, because BPAL honey tends to turn powdery on me-- oh, there it is, the powder. It's not overwhelming, though. The blend is still heady, dark, and syrupy sweet.

DRY: Oh, this is so nommy. A lot less overwhelming than before. Like a thick, dark, rich golden honey, with a hint of booze and a hint of floral. I get a tiny trace of powder from the honey, but it's something I'm completely willing to overlook.

In imp: honey with fruit and spices. This reminds me strongly of a hedgerow - a real English hedgerow full of honeysuckle, brambles and nettles. I was so scared of the mead, but this is beeyooootiful!

Wet on skin: honey - spiced honey glowing with fresh greenery and spices. Sooooo goooooooood! I only put a tiny bit on (since I only have a tiny drop) but the throw is excellent, saving me the trouble of glueing my arm to my face!

Dry on skin: rich, spicy honey, no longer with the freshness of a real hedgerow, but dark brown and delicious.

Later: BPAL honey always becomes cloying on me, and this is no exception. It's still delicious, but not as nice as it was wet! I think it's the best honey scent I've tried, though - a dark, rich honey!

When I first applied Mead Moon, I thought it smelled so much like Honey Moon that I had to do a comparison. They are similar, yet different. To me, Mead Moon has a lighter quality to it whereas Honey Moon is fuller, heavier with a floral bouquet. With Mead Moon, I smell honey and herbs. I was afraid that Mead Moon was going to be spicy since it contains several spices and I tend to amp (clove and cinnamon), but it is not spicy at all on me. I only wish that Mead Moon had more staying power. It tends to disappear in about an hour on my skin. Overall, I really like Mead Moon and those who love Honey Moon will probably like Mead Moon as well.

In the imp, it's very sweet and, well, honey-y, beeswax with just a hint of rosemary.

Once on, I can just smell some clove and something else vaguely floral, all the while with that sweet honey smell.

but then... SOAP. SODIUM STEARATE ALL OVER MY ARM.

But it's nice. I feel clean :P

Mmm, honey! It's soft, slightly sweet, a little bit creamy, barely spicy, and has just an smidge of booze. This is the foodiest summer in a bottle I've ever sniffed, and I'm quite enamoured of it.

Throw is not-so-much but the wear length is long. This is one of the ones that's still barely there on my arm the next morning. :P

meadmoon.jpg

Imp: A lightly spiced honey with a wee bit of lemon. Its sweet and smooth and smells drinkable. Mmmm!

Wet: Sweet honey mead, yes, but also something more…effervescent…for lack of a better word. And also a little minty, though I’m guessing that I’m just misreading the herbs (rosemary is a likely culprit). Whatever I’m smelling, its FANTASTIC. I :luv: bpal's honey notes.

Drying: Rosemary spiced mead (still smells minty) with a bit of lemon. There is also something that just smells of “LUSH” store—particularly a bunch of their honey scents (HIWTK, Honey Lip Balm, Mange Too, etc). I LOVE the lush honey stuff, and this would go so well with all of them!. Fantastic throw, too. After a few hours, this is just a warm sweet wafting honey scent with barely detectable spice and herbs. It’s a little powdery, very sweet, golden, and just absolutely beautiful.

Overall: When I first got this and tried it on, the scent was so light and had little throw and didn’t last long…now with some aging on it, its become a more gutsy mead, and i can still smell its faint sweetness 12 hours later, even after washing my wrists by accident. I see what all the fuss is about with this one—its really lovely. I want more!

I want to like this more than I actually do. It sounds great, and yet something in it isn't quite coming together for me.

Honey is definitely the top note; the spices are very subtle, more of a faint suggestion of spiciness than anything else. And then there's a sort of bitter herbal undertone, which I guess would be the gruit. The forum version of the lab description has substituted "fruit", but gruit is what it originally said -- it's a mixture of herbs formerly used in brewing for adding bitterness to beer, before hops began to be so widely used.

I think it's that bitterness that's throwing it off for me -- that and there just seems to be a bit of a flatness to the scent. It doesn't really have the depth or richness than most of my favourite BPAL scents do.

I don't hate it -- I just don't like it as much as I'd expected to. Considering how many scents I already have that I like much more, I'll probably be passing this one on.

Grade: B-

Edited by Miss Lynx

Mead Moon 2008

In the Bottle:

Boozey Honey

On my Skin, Wet:

Boozey Honey - AMPED

On my Skin, Dry:

Boozey Honey - with a touch of something else that I can't place...it seems dusty, yet isn't...seems floral but isn't...seems musky but isn't...etc.

Verdict:

pretty much stays the same throughout - I think I would be happier with it if I could figure out what the heck is going on with it on that final drydown where it becomes a kaliedoscope of impressions.

4 of 10 Ranking!

Edited by Akurarei

In the bottle and wet, this is THE MOST PERFECT OIL. I get a lovely lemony scent, with a bit of spice and a touch of honey. I really do love ginger and spicy scents, but I don't really smell them very much, maybe a tinge. This lasts about 20 minutes, then fades to a single note honey, it actually reminds me a bit of Dana O'Shea, which I like, but if I wanted to wear her I would rather than use something that is htf. I might hang on to MM a bit and see if it changes, but really I doubt that the lemon will get stronger with age, although maybe the spices will. I'm cursing my skin chemistry. :P

I wanted to like this way more then I do, but something about it smells just off to me, like it's just starting to ferment rather then already have been. It also went powdery on me a little bit.

Ahh well, I'll swap it for something I really like.

straight out of the imp, i smell that wonderful sweet honey note that i love so much in O, Hetairae, Kill-Devil, etc. it's actually very similar to O, except lighter and more summery. there is a slight sourness associated with fermentation, and a delicate floral/herbal note that i'm guessing is the sweet briar. the ginger is present, but it's light -- more like powdered ginger than raw ginger. i can't smell any of the spices at all, which is suprising since cinnamon and clove usually amp on my skin. the lemon, another huge amper, has also gone missing, which is fine with me! this blend doesn't have a ton of throw, but sometimes you just want something light and sweet and pretty. this is it. a MUST for honey lovers.

Edited by tinyvulture

I didn't want to love this because it's so hard to find. I was looking at the notes thinking "Maybe Lemon or Rosemary will totally ruin this for me, and then I can just forget about it." Nope. Mead Moon is AWESOME! Wet, it's all sweet honey goodness, and as it starts to dry the herbs and spices and ginger come out and just make it beautiful. I love Mead Moon. It's sweet and spicy and creamy and wonderfully warm.

Mead Moon

In the imp: mmm, the same delicious honey from Honey Moon, but mixed with O’s honey.

Wet on skin: now the honey becomes lighter and sharper, and the lemon comes out!

Dry on skin: sharp wild honey mixed with fizzy tangy lemon! This is very much like O now, only lighter and more summery, not as sweet. the mead is a sharper honey than I expected, the promise of Honey Moon-style honey has faded, but I like this. It has a wildflower-y, pollen-touched scent to it. and it’s definitely not boozy. The lemon note smells just like lemon drops, right down to the hint of sherbet. I don’t smell spices yet but I smell hints of herbs. The scent wafts too.

After a while: the tangy honey does eventually tone down and the scent I’m left with is that honey I love so much-the Honey Moon/Hony Mone honey. Sweet, rich, rounded and translucent, golden and a little bit floral. in fact, this smells almost identical to Honey Moon now, only less floral, but there’s definitely a flowery note here. Oddly, I smell no cinnamon or cloves here. Just sweet glowing honey.

The drydown is more of that wonderful honey, and it gets sweeter and sweeter until this becomes a less floral, more herbal version of my beloved Honey Moon.

Verdict: this is a gorgeous honey scent! It’s not perfect-at times the honey is a tad too sharp-but the drydown is well worth it. It starts off with a sharp honey made even more tangy by lemon, and herbs too. No spices as far as I can smell, but overall it smells of rosemary and lemon infused wildflower honey. Almost like O, but more outdoorsy. But then it gradually turns to that beautiful Honey Moon/Hony Mone honey blend that I love so much-that rich, sweet, full bodied and glistening golden sexy honey with a touch of herbs. Really stunning. I never get anything boozy like I did with Hellcat. I can only imagine this honey note improving with age. I still prefer Honey Moon, but I’m certainly keeping a bottle of this scent as well.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I have a bottle!

If you like this, try: O, Hony Mone, Honey Moon, Litha, Fairy Wine

Oh god, this is like honey powdery doom on me. It just doesn't work out. The honey is thick and sweet and cloying, and I have no idea what turned into baby powder on me, but it's really honey powder.

If that's your thing, more for you then. :P

Mmm...in the imp this is honey and grains...like a super dark, rich, version of Dana O Shee. Love the nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and ginger root I get in this. Mmmm...

On my skin, the grains come out a lot more, and the ginger root, which is good, because I loves me some ginger root. This is not as boozy as I would have expected. More rich and earthy and grainy, with the added sweetness of honey, and hints of all of those lovely spices. I even get the lemon! What a wonderful and complex blend!

Now, the downside is, that this is fading super fast and I quickly lose the complexity of the blend. It also gets rather powdery as it hits full drydown. Super powdery. So what I end up with is a rather plain sweet honey powder. Damn. I can see this blend being amazing on some people, if it maintains it's original fresh wet splendor, my skin just powderized it.

Honey! Chewy, grainy, almost floral honey. With booze. Booze that tastes smooth going down, but packs a killer punch. This is harvest festival celebrations in a bottle. I feel like I should go dance with wheat stems in my hair.

Imp: Golden but spicy and herbal at the same time. The ginger really stands out as do the rosemary and lemon.

Wet: Now there is the honey I was expecting. Sweet honey with just a powdering of spices; nutmeg clove, cinnamon and ginger.

Dry: As it dries the rosemary and lemon re-appear on the edges. The honey is so far blended into the other notes that it comes across as a sort of sweetness in the drydown.

Overall: Gorgeous but not at all what I expected. There is something a bit foodie about it. It reminds me of baking cookies.