Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rose, rose geranium, myrrh, ylang ylang, French gardenia, tuberose, red sandalwood, and palmarosa.

this is one of those rose scents that turns horribly wrong with my skin chemistry, which is about 25% of the time. it's like a sour, decaying rose. unless it's the rose geranium. i can sort of smell the tuberose but that's about all else i can make out. i need to wash this off right away, the rose is just sickly smelling on my skin :/ Edited by Shollin
fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

This is a very pretty blend! The gardenia and tuberose are sweet, soft complements to the fresh rose notes.

A simple, endearing, fresh floral perfume.

4.3 out of 5

I'm another who loves rose, so I'm disappointed that Marguerite is not for me. I do get very prominent rose here, but it's quickly overpowered by the rose geranium - which for some reason always makes my nose itch. I like both it and ylang-ylang in small quantities, or in room scents, but they're a little too prominent here.

I like florals, but the geranium makes this one a bit too strong for me. I'd rather get my rose fix from Catherine (though from the reviews I seem to be about the only one who likes that one!). I have yet to try some of the other floral Grindhouse ladies - hopefully one of them will be a big bottle purchase for me.

In the vial: Rose and related herb-rose fragrances. Don't get any resin or ylang ylang, although the gardenia is peeking out.

Wet: Still rose, but less herbal. This one smells rather like the ubiquitous red climbing roses in the Southern town where I grew up. Everybody had them, even though they kind of smelled astringent.

Twenty minutes: Strong rose ensemble (several rosy notes) and gardenia, but the myrrh keeps it from tumbling over into sweetness.

Two hours: Now that it's aged and blended, I really like this one. It's sweeter than some rose blends I've tried, and not as biting as the ones with more of a myrrh presence. And fortunately, the red sandalwood hasn't soured on me yet, the way it so often does.

Three hours: Mmmm, this is nice. There's that rose-jam element like in "Two, Five, & Seven," the one I associate with damask roses, but there are other sweet florals too. I'll have to consider getting a bottle of this.

Four hours: This one really blossoms the warmer my skin gets. On a warm summer night I think it would be intoxicating!

I loathe rose. Rose, on my skin, has just enough time to snicker evilly before it turns to powder and death. I'm normally a spice-and-resin type.

Somehow, and I have no idea how, Marguerite is different. It's wet and lightly floral-sweet in that yellow rose way. Prior to this oil I haven't had much experience with florals, so I'm not sure how much of the scent might be rose geranium or gardenia. No clue. It smells like pure rose but obviously there's a lot more going on in there. Myrrh is kind of a magical note on me, and while I can't pick it out in Marguerite, I suspect it's part of what is making her not only wearable but sumptuous.

Mostly what I get is a vivid sense impression of a sprawling rose garden with a messy, voluptuous abundance of curled blooms. They're very wet, as though from an overnight rain. The morning is just beginning to lighten from a chilly night, and whole crowds of red and pink and yellow blossoms are opening to breathe out at the same time.

Ahhhhhh, they say.

Ahhhhhh, I say.

Fresh, classical, and innocently sensual. Wafting from a lacy decolletage or behind a delicate shell-like ear, this scent is going to make a gentleman's head #$%@# spin.

Lobster Rating

better than: tilth

Ooh, I like this so much more than I thought I would. The rose definitely takes prominence in this blend, and instead of giving it a soapy feel as I feared, the other florals simply offer a sort of sweetness in the background. The myrrh and sandalwood keep the scent grounded without taking over - of course, on my skin, it is nearly impossible for ANYTHING to take over rose in a blend.

I like this a lot, but I don't think it would be worth buying a bottle over the rose blends I already own and love (Hope and Katrina van Tassel).

Marguerite

In the imp: a very sharp wet floral. This does not bode well for me.

Wet on skin: cherries? Why on earth do I smell cherry in here? It smells of bitter cherry cough syrup and sharp soapy flowers.

Dry on skin: a weird mix of pleasant notes (the geranium here is lovely, as is the rose) and very unpleasant sharp acrid flowers and cherry Strepsils, and oddly, something almost like dragon’s blood or vetiver. This is not working for me at all. The notes seem to be at odds with each other. I think it’s either the palmarosa or ylang-ylang, or maybe the gardenia…actually I think this is the gardenia at work, sometimes it works, but when that note goes wrong, it goes very wrong indeed. It’s a shame because I really, really love the geranium here.

After a while: the sharpness does go and the scent then turns to a fruity, but slightly overripe, floral scent. the geranium is a lot stronger and the rose reminds me of Two Five and Seven, but the gardenia has a hint of fermented banana to it which I’m not keen on. But I really like the scent after about 3 hours. By then it smells like sugared roses with undertones of geranium and a hint of myrrh, as well as white gardenia. It reminds me of 2 5 and 7 meets Victoria. It’s very pretty. There’s a violet-iris like feel to the powdery paleness that covers the rich rosy scent in here. At times it smells almost like there’s a hint of honey or musk to it as well.

Verdict: at first I didn’t like this at all-it was a screaming floral with harsh chemical/medicinal tones to it. no roses, but lots of acrid white floral notes and a strange cherry note. it was really messy on my skin, clashing and soapy, despite hints of geranium. However, at drydown, it changes character completely, and becomes very pretty indeed-a fruity, white-musky rose with geranium and gardenia with a bit of iris and honey. I really liked that drydown, but I don’t think it’s worth me waiting through an hour or two of floral doom to get to that stage, so I swapped/sold off my decant.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Madame Tracy, Gwyneth, Two Five and Seven, Victoria, Hope, Monna Vanna

In the Imp

Rose, Rose and more rose. Crap. Rose is a death note on me. It usually drowns out everything else and has a funky old lady smell on me. Gross.

On My Skin

All I’m getting is rose. I’m not sure why I even bothered with this blend.

After a Bit

An uninspiring floral rose blend that true to form smells putrid on me.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 1.5 Throw - 2.5 Longevity – 3

Overall (not an average) – 2

Final thoughts

Blah, I detest rose.

Heady jasmine and rose. After awhile, a creaminess comes out, but not enough to save me from the sour rose and powdery jasmine. Oh well.

This was one of the most off-putting scents in the bottle but when I put it on my skin it is BEAUTIFUL! I get mostly the rose geranium but it loves my skin. It's a very sharp floral scent but o-so elegant.

:wub2:

This decant has been sitting in my "to test" box for about 18 months. I kinda forgot it was in there. It's not one I would have set aside to age because generally I don't try to age florals. I guess it just got lost for a while.

Anyway, this smells like ROSE. Basically, just rose. A wee bit of myrrh, but not much. It doesn't smell like a cute pink rose or an innocent white rose, it's smells red and a bit thorny. Slightly greenish. Not dewy or soft.

In the imp: red heady rose and green herbals. Dry on my skin: the rose is a big bully who won't let any of the other notes come out to play. I was a little worried that I'd just amp the rose, and that's exactly what happened. Meh.

Marguerite

Rose is dominant, with some bitter myrrh, but the myrrh doesn't take over like it sometimes does. Also sandalwood in the background, and something a bit citrusy? Maybe that's the ylang ylang. It's like a thick buxom rose, not sweet or innocent. It's a little overly heavy... Not sure whether I'll really wear it or not.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I got Marguerite because it has three of my favorite notes in it - rose, tuberose, and gardenia.

I am happy to say that the myrrh in this blend behaves itself on my skin. This scent joins Bastet in being one of the two myrrh blends I can wear that doesn't go all horrifying, burning-pepper VOLDEMYRRH on me. This stays a very sweet and gentle herbal floral with just a tiny bit of sandalwood. It's very garden-y, there is really no other way to put it - it is like going outdoors and smelling roses and crushed rose geranium. It's not as tropical as I expected with the tuberose and gardenia, but it is a beautiful floral that I am going to add to my warm-weather collection.

This was another frimp and I would have NEVER tried this on my own if it wasn't gifted to me. Gardenia? NOOO effing way! Gardenia is one of my top 5 most disliked notes. And yet, Marguerite is quite lovely :lol: Initially I smell mostly a sharp geranium note. The (normally) astringent quality of the geranium is softened by the rose. And as this fades, I fall in love with this scent for the exact reason MeiLin hates it...it smells like rose incense. Such a pleasant surprise :)

Oh yeah and did I mention ROSE?! I knew I liked some rose blends but as it turns out I REALLY enjoy rose.

Edited by Monster

Many thanks to the generous forumite who frimped me this vial! :wub2:

In the vial: The sharpness of a very realistic geranium.

On me, wet: I am surprised that this is not a sweet scent, considering all the flowers that are in it. It's even sharper on my skin - almost like peppermint or eucalyptus - sinus-clearing, in other words. That is the main note, but I can also pick out all the the flowers. I really like this, although I think I'd like it even better without so much sharpness - it's really piercing. I have to admit, though, that it makes this interesting and very unusual for a floral blend.

On me, just dried: Pretty much the same, but a little sweeter, and the sharpness is not quite as piercing.

After 10 minutes: The sharpness is still there but it has settled down significantly, which allows the sweetness and the florals to manifest more strongly. The rose/ylang ylang/gardenia/tuberose/palmarose is an inspired combination. They compliment each other so beautifully. Of the florals, the ylang ylang is most prominent but only by a slight margin. They are well balanced. I really like how the other florals tone down the soapiness that ylang ylang usually has.

After 30 minutes: The sharpness is almost gone now. The floral notes are still the same but softer - the fragrance is reminding me of floral honey.

After 45 minutes: The myrrh begins to make an appearance, and it too blends beautifully with the flower notes.

After 1 hour: Now I can pick up a faint undertone of sandalwood. It stands alone, rather than blending in with the florals like the myrrh does; but it is a nice addition to them, underscoring and balancing their sweetness. Also about this time, the scent fades very suddenly but doesn't vanish completely.

After 3 hours: The remaining scent is sandalwood and powdery rose.

After 6 hours: I can still smell it a little on my wrist. It's still slightly powdery, but now the scent has returned to the earlier floral note of ylang ylang as the star but with the other flowers present as well.

(Later ETA):

After 9 hours: The fragrance is still lasting! And now the rose has come out equal to the ylang ylang, maybe even a little stronger. I love this!

Verdict: Don't be put off by the way it smells in the bottle, because after the first few minutes it smells totally different on the skin. I wouldn't really call this specifically a rose-based blend (although rose can certainly be detected in it) because the ylang ylang is the stronger note. This is a unique floral perfume because of the extreme sharpness of the first 20 minutes or so. After that (once the sharpness has settled down) it becomes really gorgeous and lasts much longer on my skin than most of my BPAL oils.

My rating: 5 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Strong, sharp, heady rose. At first I smell nothing else, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. It mellows a little after a while. but remains dominantly rose, with little of the other floral or wood notes coming through. Very elegant, though!

Very, very rosey at first. Syrupy, heady, and perfumey. I think the ylang ylang has a lot do with this. I don't get a white floral vibe from this. Just super heady floral. The geranium note becomes obvious in the dry down, and the fragrance is starting to remind me a little of Deep in Earth, albeit without the earth note and with the florals amped way up.   Over all, this is too much for me, though the florals smell very authentic.   

Edited by VetchVesper