Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

#20 Love Oil

A potent, enticing love formula, favored among Louisiana courtesans.

This one is a strong lavender rose. I get maybe a hint of almond, and a very vague 'herbal' feeling.

I can see how this would be considered seductive, since it is feminine, womanly, sexy without being in your face.

It also kinda reminded me a bit to the TAL Mantle of Venus.

ETA: To add description and clarifty MoV's designation. Edited by zankoku_zen

The scent to me is kind of a sweet almond scent when it's wet. After it starts to develop on my skin I get a bit of a soapy scent under the almond. It smells like a lily type floral. There is also a hint of spice. It isn't unpleasant as a fragrance. I don't know how to judge it's effectiveness, otherwise since my husband is pretty affectionate no matter what perfume I'm wearing. I'll have to try it out when I'm in a group and see what happens.

First thoughts: How is this going to attract anyone? It's not, as it seems to me, sexy or alluring.

I am a guy, so let's keep that in mind because this one is obviously a feminine scent.

So it starts out as an ammonia-based lemon cleanser, kind of heady. Cools down to a boquet of fresh flowers: I picked out carnation and white rose, possibly ylang ylang. Turns out the latter is the lilies and chrysanthemum, which I get on retrospect.

So here's what I see: Louisiana courtesans lived in a time when our sh!t stank, in the sense of livin' in an extreme southern bayou shipping town in a time of many horses and few showers. As a courtesan, you don't need to seduce anyone - you need to provide both yourself and your customers a refreshing fresh scent while they do their business. Good point.

However, it turns out that this scent is just that - refreshing, fresh, natural and beautiful. Were I a woman I would wear this often.

Instead I gave it to my daughter, which on reflection is a little weird considering the whole courtesan-connection. Hm... oh well!

x Othello

I can determine the different notes this time, hence the edit..

Roses, almond and something else in the background.. Quite exquisite!

:P

Edited by saracakes

No...I don't know what this is, but I am not in love at all. It smells like some kind of cheap floor cleanser.

ADDED April 6:

Very sad...and gagging right now, as well...

Was reading the thread on recommendations for smells, and found a wafflecone buttery cake thread; this oil was mentioned as turning extremely cakey upon drydown, but I'm only picking up roses...

and I hate roses...

Imp: Something mossy but floral. I really can't place it.

Wet: Becoming sharp and spicy but still with that mossy green note.

Dry: Once it dries down it I start to get the almond and rose other reviewers mention. Honestly I can't say if I like this or not. I'm going to have to keep it for now to experiment with.

In bottle: sharp with medicinal herbs underneath sugared almond and some flower. Wet: the medicinal quality is stronger, with the almond cakes on top. There is something pleasant and attention getting on top, incense maybe. It is sweet and spicy and slightly rank. Dry: incense over medicinal herbs, almost cloying in it’s sweetness.

In the imp: grassy, herbal with some florals underneath

wet on: still green and herbal...

drydown: wow. herbal smell is almost gone, it is just lingering in the background of some very nice, sweet florals. The florals are not overly floral because of the green in the background. I rather like this!

overall: the drydown surprised me, because it was a lot sweeter than I expected. I think I'm going to use the imp at least, my mother thought it smelled nice on me too :)

First impression: pungent, herbal/slightly soapy rose + mild patchouli. Reminds me a great deal of Rakshasa, but without such an intense soap factor, and it has other notes to make it more interesting...

I'm also getting almond, a hint of spice (maybe that spicy note is strong carnation instead of cinnamon, which was my first thought), and maybe some lily (?) and something green. It started off a bit funky, but it's getting prettier. Really complex; I like blends like this, where it's hard to really tell what's going on.

It has amazing throw. Wow. I have not been able to say this about many blends, but this is strong.

It smells best if I just sniff at the throw and not too close to my wrist. It is medicinal and soapy overall for me, however, so it's going to be used only for its intended purpose, never as "just perfume". :)

Edited by obsidienne

In the bottle it's a very sharp herbal scent. Wet, that starts to deepen into something a little more layered, and I get some rose right off the bat.

You know what it smells like? Roses and citronella candles. Like you light to get rid of mosquitos.

In the imp: ahaha I totally agree with the review above mine :lol: Really, I get roses mainly, and bitter almond and herbs.

Wet: Peppery and green, roses in the background.

Dry: Hmmmm smells really familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe another blend it smells similar to? I dunno. It's greenery and roses with a peppery kick. Not unpleasant, but not something I'd wear as perfume. I will however, attempt to test it's... other benefits -_-

Wet: Musk and cinnamon. A little manly, a little strong.

First on: Kind of offputting on my skin. I'm not sure about this one.

Dry: Really, really strong. Going to scrub this one now.

In the imp: Holy crap, I was not expecting an oil so light in color to be so very strong. I'm not great at picking out individual notes, but there's something in there that clears up my sinuses, like eucalyptus. It smells so very *green*.

On, wet: I'm still getting something menthol or minty out of this, plus something maybe a little musky.

On, dry: Okay, it's still menthol, but over a base of a really down-and-dirty musk. It really does smell like a cathouse.

In the imp: Something buttery and light.

On my skin: ...strangest combination of notes yet. It shifted from pure butter to almond and... wet dog and roses. Maybe this one isn't for me.

Imp: Medicinal herbage

Wet: Kinda musty. Like wet cardboard.

Drydown: Strongly astringent. Not my thing, unfortunately. But looking elsewhere, I get the impression that the conjure bag oils are not really meant for perfumes? Maybe this smells better then used for its original purpose.

This was VERY bitter on me. I swapped it away. All I could smell was bitter herbs and bitter almond with a little floral action. Not for me.

This is clove like whoa! Smells like Anbesol over a foundation of marzipan, carnations, and baking spices...it's almost like there's some Hod in the distant background, which makes me want to love this, but the clove is the top note and it is really overbearing on me!

Wow, the reviews are all over on this one! In the bottle, as many stated, it smelled very herbal to me. Immediately upon application it morphed into rosy cloves (mmmmm, love me some cloves). Such an odd combo, but I loved it.

It didn't last very long - I had to reapply after 2 hours. Not sure if I would order a bottle, but I like the imp.

In the imp: I dunno about this one. It smell off. I know it's a voodoo blend and is meant more for ritual than wearing to smell nice. But this smells especially off to me.

Wet: Yeah, it's just off. Nothing is blending, and I'm getting severall notes that just don't fit together, attacking my nose. Wild mushrooms, and mold and cleaner, and I can't even put my finger on most of it.

Dry: Much better. It's dries to a green, light, clean, herby scent...on the surface. I can still smell a horrible mix of things underneath. Don't know...

Overall: Definitely not something I would wear on the day to day, but I'll try it again for it's actual purpose as a voodoo blend.

In bottle: Doesn’t smell all that pleasant. Kind of harshly soapy-herbal, I guess?

On me: Much better! Still herbal, but it’s lost the harshness and become oddly enticing. Vetiver? Anise? I can’t really recognize notes very well, but there’s something kind of woody/herbal/musky about this smell. Maybe a hint of soapiness, but not egregiously so. Not especially “feminine,” not what I would label “seductive” or “pretty” or “fancy”. But interesting, somewhat enticing. Also somewhat reminiscent of Thrills gum, in an odd way. I don’t hate it.

Sadly, this doesn’t seem to be doing much for my headache.

Seems to have levelled out to licorice/soapy Thrills gum smell. It’s not awful, but I don’t really see myself wanting to smell this way often.

Into the swap/sell pile it goes.

In the bottle - Weird; I get geraniums on a bed of almonds

Wet on me - Again, initially geraniums, but with a base of sweet almonds

Dry on me - The geranium stays the main note, although it softens anf takes on a slightly musky aspect

Overall - Geraniums are one of those flowers that I like the smell of, but don't necessarily want to smell like

This was a lagniappe from the lab, and after reading the reviews, I was fully expecting to hate it. To my very great surprise, I didn't - I quite liked it!

It was very, very green on me. Mossy, clean, and a little floral and spicy. It stayed mostly true the whole time I was wearing it - it didn't change much through the drydown.

Mostly, what I liked about this was that it was like nothing I've ever smelled. I don't know if it works - I haven't tested it on any menfolk - but it definitely put me in the mood :twisted:

It had good throw, but didn't last very long - after about six hours, it was almost totally gone.

This is lavender with almond. On my skin this smells strongly of sickly sweet citronella candles. This smells medicinal, balmy, herbal and unpleasant. Inhaling this deeply, I get a cooling effect in my nostrils...could there be menthol in this??

There are few few BPAL oils I have to wash off or violently disagree with my skin chemistry but, unfortunatly this is one of them :(

I will pass it on to someone else.