Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

#20 Love Oil

A potent, enticing love formula, favored among Louisiana courtesans.

imp: a very floral almond scent. reminds me of almond poppyseed poundcakes with sugared violets.

wet: wow! spicy, sugary almonds. this really smells like some delightful, almondy baked good.

dry: the almondy scent has vanished and there's something almost woodsy with the spiciness. quite nice.

(edited to add scent description) Edited by hkhm

Lots of almond and something herbal like mint and maybe some kind of floral. I find it difficult to pick out notes in the voodoo blends unless they really stand out like the almond. This is pretty spicy and I'm interested to see how my significant other reacts to it! This one isn't for the faint of heart as it's pretty strong and packs quite a punch!

#20 Love Oil smells like.. almond, cherry and.. maybe lavender. The first sniff from the imp is very sweet (the cherry and almond). The second sniff is more.. astringent, which is what I am guessing to be lavender. On my skin it becomes powdery and rosey. The almond and cherry have virtually dissapeared (maybe my skin was hungry.. ) All I have left is this dusty rosey lavender scent. This smells mature and I think I am simply to silly to wear this that often. It would do well on a CEO type of woman.. very strong and intimidating. It smells a little spicy, just enough to keep it interesting and prevent it from becoming a pure, overpowering floral.

sniffed from the imp: AlmondLavenderRoses

on skin: marzipan (not unlike SnowCake) with a hint of citrus and beeswax....and furniture polish

verdict: don't think i'll ever reach for this as a fragrance, and the boy has no sense of smell so i doubt i'd ever try it again for any....additional benefits the oil might have.

In the imp: Roses, nothing more. I only WISH I got cherry, almond, cinnamon or any of the other scents that people talk about.

Wet: More rose- fast turning soapy.

Dry: Rose soap. Reminds me of Victorian times. Definitely not for me.

Lots of rose in here and slight almond, along with the usual herbs and spices that all the Voodoo Blends seem to carry. I'll use up my imps and report on efficacy later. :P

Imp: Butter popcorn Jelly Bellies. I'd assume that's almond or similar.

Wet: Butter popcorn Jelly Bellies undercut by grassy florals. It smells like someone was mulching his rose bushes and stopped to have some candy.

Dry: It smells like an aromatherapy blend. Not a specific one, but this smells more like something I'd use to stop a headache or ease my sinuses than a perfume. My skin has spoken and it says no.

Throw: Not a lot. Had this on the crook of my arm. It's a little over five hours later and I can smell it if I get super, super close, but I'm not fussy about it. Definitely a multiple touch up scent.

Overall: It didn't make me feel very sexy and even if it's made out of pure sex pheremones, it's still not going to work if I don't feel like it will.

In the bottle all I got were strong florals and something bitter and unplesant. I got some on my fingers while openning the imp and had an allergic reaction, so this is definitely going in the swap pile.

This is a really nice spicy floral. Not your average light kind of floral - heavier, more reminiscent of the thick fragrance of night-blooming flowers and greenery that slinks through the window on really hot, humid summer nights in the Deep South. Though I like it quite a lot as a fragrance, there are other BPAL fragrances that I like a little more.... so why do I own a bottle? Well, here's the thing... I cannot believe that amount of attention that this pushing-forty gal gets from men when she's wearing it (including her beloved :P ). It doesn't matter if I'm wearing crappy sweatpants and look like I just crawled from under a rock while in the supermarket or if I'm power-suited up trying to look like a mean-ass attorney... guys are drawn to this oil like flies to honey. In fact, for me it works far better than TAL Dixie Love Perfume...

For this reason, I'm careful when and where I wear this one. It's great for date-night or a night out with the girls, but I don't exactly want to be bringing on THAT kind of attention in say, the office... :D

PS - If it starts to go powdery, a little layering with something that has nice patchouli makes it utterly WOW! :D

Edited by 13magpies

Bottle: Ooh, rose. Ew.

Wet: Like spicy rose and leather with musk? I'm not too sure, I just know I dont' like it!

Drydown: Same as before, only with a bit of salt water possibly. Like roses in a marsh with a guy who's wearing a leather jacket? :P

2.0 outta 5

Expectations: I always assume that anything with a description of its purpose rather than its scent is going to be disgusting.

In vial: Nutty, citrus, and herbal. So far I was right about the disgusting.

On skin, wet: Some kind of household cleanser gone rancid.

On skin, dry: Not quite as rancid, but still pretty bad. Pine and some kind of nuts.

After time: After 15 minutes, it turned into really nasty herbal soap...and this was an improvement. Edit: 5 minutes after posting this, the scent suddenly turned to almost pure rose. There's still a hint of something icky, but it's not nearly as bad. However, the earlier stages were so offensive to my nose that I would never be willing to go through that again.

Conclusion: Get this crap away from me, fast!

Edited by Alsatia

I received a frimp of #20 Love Oil awhile back and decided to save it for a time when I feel saucy--well, my boyfriend had to go out of town for the weekend and his flight gets in in about an hour. I have *really* missed him the last two days and am planning to be in Major Seduction Mode ( :P ), so it seems like a good time to try this lil' imp out. Hm, wet, it smells herbal and refreshing for a second, then becomes a bit woody. Not really sweet at all on me. On second dab, suddenly there's almond and a hint of spice! That was a weird morph right there. The drydown is still more green and herby than anything else though. A tad sharp, although not terribly so. I think, honestly, that I'll dump something sexier on over it (Snake Charmer, I'm lookin' at you), but I'll keep the imp for ritual use. It's pleasant even if not overtly secksay, and of course it needn't smell any particular way to WORK. :D

A frimp.

In the imp, *sniff* herbal? SOMETHING SHARP! *breath* *sniff* Roses? *sniff* Lavender..? *sniff* almonds and cherry?

The notes are tanking turns? the heck? On my fingers from holding the imp I am getting lavender and cloves.

Wet, on me, back of hand, roses, lavender, and sharp herbs. Wrist, cherry and almond, and shorp herbs. On the elbow, Roses, lavender, and cloves.

I'm getting cloves all over, now, with roses and lavender behind. Except that the wrists are amping the cloves and herbs even more.

Considering my guy's reactions to perfumes in general so far(he thinks 99% smell unpleasantly and intensely of soap), I doubt it will have the intended effect.

In the bottle: Strong, sharp, sweet. Bitter almond and bright red cherries. Fruity-medicinal.

Wet: Bitter almond and maraschino cherries. I actually really like the almond note in this - it's very natural and nutty, with a touch of sweetness and a pleasant bitter herbalness. There may be some other herbs too, maybe florals, lurking.

Dry: Whoa - this has totally morphed in a matter of minutes. Almost no cherry remains, and it's become almost straight ROSE. Still, a noticeable current of bitter almond remains, as well as a sharp, spicy-herbal note, sage? And a spice, too, that's very bold - clove, definitely.

Summary: Potent rose, strong clove, with milder, slightly sweet and nutty yet also pleasantly bitter almond and faint hints of herbal sage and cherries. Powerful throw & lasting power. Possibly unisex.

Not for me; clove = nemesis, and it's too sharp a blend overall. Still, incredible how it morphed. Totally unexpected and radical!

In the imp it smelled a little like herbal roses.

On my skin it was eww eww eww cloying rose yuck get off me now!

As it dried I actually started to like it. I am not a rose person, but it became so subtle that I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. It smelled a little like those decorative rose soaps without smelling soapy. This one isn't for my chemistry, but I might try it in a scent locket.

in the imp: cherry candy

wet on skin: the cherry becomes more like cherry 'bark' and there's also a licorice root note in there making it a little richer and spicier.

dry down: it changed a LOT. now it smells like a rich floral. all fruit is gone.

in all: this turned a bit soapy on me. and by a bit i mean a lot. oh well, off to swap!

This is incredibly odd, but I'm in love with it.

In the imp/wet: I would have sworn it's some sort of exotic citrus. It's not orange or lemon or grapefruit, but...still citrusy.

On drydown: Becomes far more clear. Rose for sure, probably some sharp lavender, and something slightly herbal/medicinal- maybe clove, or something more exotic like cajuput? I have no idea. Regardless, the blend somehow is beautiful and incredibly sexy, and I'm definitely getting a big bottle.

Lavender rose spice...a very astringent, herbal mixture. I'm not getting any cherry or almond at all (no surprise since it disappears on my skin), but I may be getting leather.

I'll have to try it sometime for the effect. I don't think the smell is all that sexy, but it does seem quite energizing.

I get a spicy, clovy carnation scent. Quite nice, but after a few minutes, I started to get overwhelmingly tired, just when I was going out for a run this morning. Flying Fox Temple Balm does this to me too, so I wonder if there is a common ingredient that makes me want to sleep. Mind you, it was a very languous, tired feeling. I probably won't be wearing this unless I want to sleep, though.

In The Bottle

Very herbal

On Application

As above

Dry Down

Resinous herby scent that warms up and rounds out a little as it dries down. I quite like it but don't think it is particularly wearable just as a scent. Could be nice doing some herbal work.

Rating (0-5)

Wow, that jumps up to be noticed with a bit of spice! There is something sweet underneath, a touch rosy? The flower fades in and out but the spice stays constant.

In the imp this is a strong, sweet, herbal scent.

On my skin this is sort of a weird sourish-sweet herbal scent. It has a little spiciness to it as well. If I am judging this on scent alone, it is not something I would wear as perfume. But since I consider the Conjure Oils to have a more unique purpose, I am going to reserve judgement on this until my boyfriend gets back to see his reaction to the blend.

Yeah, bf came home and no magical sparks. Just a rather below average herbalish scent. Will have to pass this imp along!