Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Batgirl

Recs for Longest Lasting Oils

I asked what scents lasted the longest on the LJ community a few months back, and judging by the massive range in responses, it's a highly individual thing, depending on your chemistry.

For what it's worth, on me, the ones with greatest staying power have been Morocco, Depraved, Snow White and Antique Lace. On me, musks and resins stay, while things like florals and teas evaporate pretty quickly, but your mileage may vary.

Eve lasted a long time on me, even though it is a lighter floral. I think the honey made it stick around.

I couldn't get rid of Horn of Plenty either. Even though I very much wanted to! :P

So far on me Snake Oil, O, New Orleans and Queen Mab are the longest lasting on me. As in... more than 12-13 hours later, they still smell positively yummy. :P

I have a very hard time discerning which scents last the longest on me since my husband is away and can't sniff me :D Also, I sweat so much during the day because of camp that I fear my oils are being 'washed' off my skin :P Nonetheless, I know Ice Queen lasts for quite some time on me, as does Bastet, and to a lesser extent, the Unicorn. Of course, these are all limited to a time span of hours as opposed to days, like some other posters have experienced...

Scents that have lasted the longest on me:

Saturnalia (by far and away the longest)

Spellbound

Snake Oil

Titania

Maiden

Shortest:

Kumiho

Baobhan Sith

Val Sans Retour

So far on me Snake Oil, O, New Orleans and Queen Mab are the longest lasting on me. As in... more than 12-13 hours later, they still smell positively yummy.  :P

It must be a body chemistry thing because O simply vanishes on me after only an hour - with slathering.

It must be a body chemistry thing because O simply vanishes on me after only an hour - with slathering.

Same here. I think it's the BPAL amber as just about every BPAL scent with it vanishes on me in under an hour.

Does anyone have rec's for some long lasting blends with good sillage? I got some thoughtful recommendations from Olympia regarding blends that have good sillage for her, but of the ones I've tried, I haven't had the best of luck. Incantation had sillage but didn't last, Jack and Wanda had sillage but they didn't agree with me for other reasons.

So far, Snake Oil is the only blend I've found to satisfy me on both requirements. Any other ideas? I'm willing to try anything that doesn't contain lemon or jasmine (for some reason, the BPAL versions of these notes just won't work on me).

Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by beeboppin

Haunted, Whip, and Maiden work nicely on me in terms of sillage and lasting time. March Hare is one that varies a lot depending on my skin chemistry that day, and sometimes has *lots*.

Note that I've got weird skin that hangs onto scent for dear life. These are all 8 hour scents on me, but on most people they're more "normal".

Kalli

Snake Oil also has awesome sillage and sticking power for me as well. I also find that Dorian, Dana O Shee, Scherazade, Hymn to Persephine, and Black Opal do as well. I'm sure there are others. A lot is detemined by which notes your skin eats up and which sit on your skin for generous wafting. For me, iris gives massive sillage, so much so that I can hardly wear it.

When I was first learning about BPAL, I went through the "longest-lasting scents" thread and basically counted up the recs. This is the list I made at the time of the most frequently-recced scents, in order:

Snake Oil

Dragon's Milk, O

Gluttony, Scherezade

Dorian, Snow White

Bastet, Blood Kiss, Chimera, Dragon's Heart, Hollywood Babylon, Jack, Love Me, Lust, Sugar Skull, Zombi

(There were a number of others that were mentioned only once or twice.)

The individual notes that most people found to be longest-lasting were vanilla and dragon's blood.

I'm not sure how those scents compare as regards sillage, however.

There hasn't been a topic that covers blends with both longevity AND throw, but you can check out this thread for a discussion of those with the strongest sillage, and this one for the longest-lasting BPAL oils. Chances are that there's a good bit of overlap.

I'm not inclined to merge the two with this thread, though, since I find those qualities can be separate and distinct... otherwise, wouldn't there just be one term that meant "it lasts forever and you can smell it for miles?" :P But if anyone has a differing opinion on that, please do let me know - I'm all for keeping the place tidy.

it lasts forever and you can smell it for miles?"

Ah yes, you speak of my dream blends! :P Thank you for allowing my thread to remain for now, I hope more ladies/gentlemen will share which BPAL's they found obnoxiously loud and tenacious. Those should be just perfect for me...

Perhaps I have (luckily) already found my ultimate BPAL in Snake Oil...I just hope for one or two more 'ultimates' to mix it up a little.

I'm still weaning off the various Chanels, Diors and Guerlains. While BPAL blends certainly smell more real and interesting to me than the department store fragrances, they seem far more subtle. Or perhaps just less intrusive and aggressive. I've begun to fear that I have forever killed my scent receptors with too many of the alcohol-laden, 'nerve gas' perfumes.

Thanks for the great ideas, and for graciously sharing your thoughts, ladies! I will try every suggestion made here, and enjoy doing so! :D

Edited by beeboppin

Vixen! If you like Snake Oil, you'll probably like Vixen -- it's long lasting and has great sillage. Same goes for Urd and Scherezade.

Perversion and Blood Kiss both have great lasting power and silliage. Dorian does as well. As far as spicey-sweet, Sin, Dracul and Ravenous are all kick-assed and strong/long-lasting.

IceQueenIceQueenIceQueen!!!! I have a glass rod cap and use it to "comb" scent through my hair. I recently grabbed Ice Queen, mistaking it for Queen of Diamonds, started combing and then, sniff-sniff... "Waaaaiiiiit a MINUTE! This isn't Queen of Diamonds! Oh well." Then proceeded to finish the comb-through.

TWO SHAMPOOS later, I was still catching whiffs of Ice Queen in my hair! Amazing.

I've been very surprised this summer at the two scents that are hanging in there for the long haul. You'd think that Snow Angel and Eden would be light, floataway blends, but with both, I am smelling them on myself the morning after I apply them until I shower. No complaints about that, it's just that I've always expected my summery scents to fade quickly (yes, Sudha Segara, I am looking at YOU).

Of the ones I've tried thus far, the two that have lasted the longest on me (i.e. over 8 hours) are Red Lantern and MB: Underbed. The latter, in fact, seems to last forever when anything is scented with it - I dipped one half of a Q-Tip in my bottle to use for scenting my car more than a week ago and it still smells as strong as the first day!

Intrigue and Scarecrow lasted a really long time for me. I am STILL sniffing Scarecrow on myself from last night. Those two are the strongest for me, the rest.. not so much.

Monsterbait Underbed is an all-day scent on me. Underpants lasts, but it's much more subtle later on. Closet unfortunately vanishes after about 2 hours. So if you enjoy smelling like coffee cake (or whatever it turns to on you) go with Underbed!

a few of my favorite 'marathon' scents...

Snow White - I can put it on in the morning and still get occasional wafts late in the evening and still smell it on my skin when I wake up the next morning.

Urd

Jezebel

Snake Charmer

Carnivale

Smut

edit to add: Oh yeah, Morgause stays for the long haul too!

Edited by moonarcana

These are the ones that really cling for me. It's part of the reason many of them are in my top 10 :P

Voodoo

Lenore

Snake Charmer

Zombi

Litha

O

Premature Burial

Cathedral/Pit and the Pendulum

Scherezade

Malediction

Black Annis

Arcana