Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Batgirl

Recs for Longest Lasting Oils

Scarecrow and Swank are both scents that never end on me.

Aizen-Myoo has been the only one that fades out very quickly for me, and even then it mostly dies down to what my husband refers to as "that grape scent they all have" and what I think of as "that BPAl floral". I'm starting to wonder if the Desdemona leak affected all my imps.

Snake Oil, Anne Bonny, Snake Charmer, and Blood last all day on me. I am a slatherer, though, so I'm sure that helps. I really love the spicy/incense/patchouli notes. I usually reserve Blood for my bedtime Bpal, and can always still smell it in the morning. My cat, who sleeps on my head, massages my temples with his tiny kitty-paws and sucks on my hair all night, loves it when I wear Blood, too. :P

Here are a few that are long-lasting on me:

Vixen

Snake Oil

Urd

Antique Lace

The Coiled Serpent

Scherezade

Morella

French Love

Perversion

One that is surprisingly *not* long lasting:

Dragon's Musk

I find heavily-spiced scents to be the most long-lasting on me--scents like Three Witches, the Harvest Moons, etc. Also try resins (Cathedral, Jacob's Ladder).

Anything with dragon's blood has good length on me. Vetiver never freaking goes away even through washings - but it's nasty on me.

Red Phoenix is also a tenacious one on me: it lasted through about twelve hours, then a shower and multiple hand/wrist washings. I finally had to resort to some dishwashing liquid to get it off. . .not that I didn't like it, but I didn't want it to clash with what I was planning to apply next.

Some that last forever on me are Voodoo, Antique Lace, Alice, and Morocco- also some of my favorites :P

ETA: I wore Snake Charmer last night and wow, that baby didn't quit!

(keep in mind I do wear these in a scent locket so that extends the normal on-your-skin wear)

Edited by Midnight Aeval

I'm lucky if anything lasts more than 5 hours on my skin, but I've found a few that do. Hellion and Hades last about 7-8 hours, and after applying Dragon's Heart this morning at 5am I am still getting wafts from my cleavage. It's now nearly 6pm.

Ok, so I'm very very new to BPAL. In my first order, I had an imp of Baobhan Sith and one of Cheshire Cat, both of which thrilled me in the bottle and wet on my skin... and then vanished.

I loved the grapefruit scent, but it seems to be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there something I can used to approximate this scent that maybe won't vanish so quickly?

I love Cheshire Cat myself, but I have to apply it pretty heavily. For whatever reason, the grapefruit sticks around much longer in blends like Manhattan and Shattered. You might give Aizen-Myoo a try, too. :P

Most citruses are considered top notes, and really do not have much staying power.

Top notes: The scents that are perceived immediately on application of a perfume. Top notes consist of small, light molecules that evaporate quickly: they form a person's initial impression of a perfume and thus are very important in the selling of a perfume. The scents of this note class are usually described as "fresh," "assertive" or "sharp." The compounds that contribute to top notes are strong in scent, very volatile, and evaporate quickly. Citrus and ginger scents are common top notes. Also called the head notes.

Other than perhaps using a scent locket or reapplying, there's not too much you can do about it, just due to the nature of the oil itself.

I highly recommend getting a scent locket from the Trading Post. It's my lifeline for scents that fade quickly or blends that smell fantastic in the imp or the bottle but shift with chemistry.

When I wore grapefruit scents before I had a locket, I would apply more oil which helps and I kept the imp with me to refresh during the day.

I'm going to second the suggestion that you look into another option besides skin application -- citrus notes generally just fade quickly but with something that isn't skin, they might hold out longer. I have a fair amount of luck with even applying it to my hair. Of course, re-application is always another option and in some cases, really the only one that can keep the oil strong all day long.

I'll also suggestion Shattered -- it could be just me but I've noticed that for me, the grapefruit in that sticks around longer than in some other blends.

Try Moxie. For me, it wasn't the greatest grapefruit scent but for others it apparently is mega-grapefruit and has some staying power to it.

Sorry for bumping this old thread if there's a more recent one...but, wouldn't it be cool if there were a poll option on the review threads so when you review, you could say how long the oil lasted on you? It seems to be a really subjective thing, but it would be so interesting to get some averages.

Wow, Clare... that would be a dream come true for me. But then, I am notorious for relentlessly analyzing data that other people never give a second thought to. Mmm, data analysis...

For me, the longest lasting scent that I frequently still smell after a full night's sleep is Shub. It consistently hangs around on my skin for hoourrs and hours, and I couldn't be happier about that! :P I have had similar results with Red Lantern, too.

Maybe I put to much on, but I could smell The Caterpillar 3 days after application, and 300 some miles away from where I first applied it, while I was taking a shower. Thank god I bought the 5ml!

^is n00b

Edited by misoXmikado

I've found that tonka stays and stays and stays and STAYS on me, and also seems to reinforce other notes. The combination of tonka and champaca in Vasakasajja and now in Kubla Khan doesn't have much throw, but it clings to the skin like crazy and I can still smell it when I shower at night after appling in the morning or if I've put it on before bed in the morning when I get up :P

For a citrusy scent that stays, Spider sticks like crazy, one of the few that's clearly discernable after an hour or so on me. I'll have to try the hair thing with Schroedinger's Cat, I love it to death but it's got no stamina on the skin so I don't know if I can justify a bottle purchase without some way to extend it.

Hellcat is the oil that I've had work well in terms of staying power. I also happen to LOVE the scent, so it's all good. haven't really tried may others, and of those, they usually only last a few hours at best (Hellcat will last overnight, in my experience at least).

In 7 months of trying different scents the ones that last longest on me are: Hollywood Babylon, O, Embalming Fluid Lampades, Blood Rose and Snake Oil.

Smut -- it tends to last through two days, and two showers.

Crypt Queen has been producing similar results.