Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

Very sweet, caramelly with a touch of wood, the vibe is pancake syrup-like. Kind of reminds me of fresh Al Azif without the incense (which takes awhile to appear on me) This is much to sweet and foody for me. Off to swaps.

The first time I tried it I swapped it away and now I really think I was drunk that day. It`s an alcoholic burst that precedes the burnt sugar and the honey, and then it stays and stays, delicate, sugary and delicious. It`s a less aggressive Sugar Skull or the skeleton of Gluttony if I can say it. Truly conforting and yummy :wub2:

I have been looking to swap for an imp of this for almost a year. A year, people!! :blink: Now that I have it (two swaps at once, wouldn't you know) I was very nervous it would be awful and not live up to my crazily high expectations.

But.

It's amazing :wub2: <cue dramatic award acceptance-type music>

This is perfect. Better than what I could have ever hoped for! Better than Juke Joint, better than Jersey-Devil (though that tomato note is mighty fine), better than the booze in Mad Sweeney! This is the perfect blend of dark, caramelized sugar with a hint of barrel wood and a few drops of alchohol. It's sweet with a capital S and makes me want to gnaw off my own arm - and I'm not a big fan of foody scents in general. After awhile it turns smoky and slightly incense-y...as if it NEEDED to get better at this point :eek: Wow. Just fricking wow.

I have been wanting to try this for the longest time and I grabbed an aged bottle from the sales posts.

Wet, this is very sweet and boozy. After it calms down and dries, that lovely oak note emerges and the booze note picks up a bit of a green herbal tinge. I'm not sure what is doing that, but it's a fresh note that keeps it from smelling exactly like Mad Sweeney, Oak King and Perilous Parlor. Since I love all three of those, I am thrilled about Kill-Devil and the oak note is just beautiful in this.

I had hoped for oodles of molasses, but my wishes are not quite to be. Kill-Devil is boozy, swanky, let-the-good-times-roll syrup. With a kind of "barrel-aged" feel to it from the oak wood. And it's not perky, cloying sweet, it's kind of slow, goopy, suggestively sweet. It's like a really sleazy but good-looking man oozing over to you at the bar and trying to flirt.

Not sure how I feel about it. Wearable and actually quite interesting, but not quite my thing.

Imp: I open the imp with trepidation. I hate scents that turn molasses-like on me, why would I want one that has actual molasses as a note? Yet, I do it. I open the imp, I sniff the imp. Remarkably mild and light. I can tell it's a sweet scent but it's not repulsive. There's something nice and light and crisp here--probably the sugar cane.

Wet: Ugh. Sugar overload. Reminds me of Sugar Skull--one that I DO NOT WANT! The molasses is there now. It's drowning out the oak note which I was rather fond of.

Dry: The oak re-emerges. This is kind of nice. I will never like it enough to even finish this imp but I'm glad it's not the massive fail I anticipated. The sugar cane keeps it a bit lighter and the honey warms up nicely. The molasses behaves itself. This is toothache-inducingly sweet but interesting at the same time. Might join the imp pile of things I smell because they're weird, not necessarily nice on my skin.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I went into this thinking the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Never will be a favourite but doesn't want to make me scrub myself with steel wool either.

I'm going to be up-front and say straight out i didn't think I was going to like this!

In the imp: Molasses. That's definitely what I'm getting a whiff of. Oh boy.

Wet: sweet and sticky with a hint of something deeper. I made the mistake of spilling it on my fingertips. There's almost the smell of fruit in the background.

Drydown: This actuall deepens as it dries and the foody notes give way to a lovely woodsy blend, as though molasses was coating a log crackling on the fire. That may be a bad analogy because the blend definitely remains "sticky" but...there's an almost fruity tinge in the background.

Conclusion: This is a lot nicer than I anticipated, but it still not for me. Foodie lovers might be a little disappointed, this is a lot less sweet than the notes (and the initial imp-whiff!) would suggest! This is overall a well-rounded blend with a nice woodsy feel. Not bad.

In the bottle: It reminds me of Cockaigne in the bottle. Warm, sweet, and buttery. I'm not really getting any booziness from it. It reminds me of butter cookies.

Wet: As soon as it hits my skin, the oak wood comes out. It's not bad, necessarily, but odd. It reminds me of forests and has an almost piny sharpness to it. It's still sweet, but the buttery sweetness is definitely tempered some.

Dry: Whoa there, Kill Devil. After 2+ months in the BPAL community, I've finally found a note that I 'amp,' as it were. And that's oak wood. It completely overwhelms everything else in the blend on me. It's a little sweet, but nothing compared to what it was in the bottle. The oak is really heavy. I can smell it wafting off my wrists in a way I usually can't with BPAL. I'm not really sure if I like it or not.

Fortunately for me, oak wood doesn't appear to be a note that's in that many blends.

When I first smelled this from the imp I thought it smelled disgusting and immediately closed it, but luckily some got on my fingers when I was opening it because a few minutes later it morphed into something sweet and woody and delicious. So the next day I decided to wear it and was just wonderful. It went back and forth between smelling like a sweet wood and just strong sugar and it lasted all day with just one application. Definitely one of my new favorite scents.

Holy cow this is freaking amazing! :eek:

Ok so, its not foody at all. It's a beautiful honeyed wood scent with the juiciness of sugarcane pouring through. I would've thought that something with honey and molasses would = fail on me, but hoooooboy was I wrong! There's almost a citrus vibe rolling around making it sparkle. I'm in love and will be requiring a full bottle of this!! :wub2: This has moved into my top 10 GC's!

I'm not a big fan of sugar notes, be they called sugar cane, molasses, caramel, or just plain ole sugar. So this was almost surely going to be a miss on me. But I *do* like honey and oak, so let's see what happens...

In the imp, it smells super sweet and boozy, like buttery rum. Yummy!

Wet on skin: yoinks! That's sugar all right. I'm getting the comparisons to Sugar Skull for sure. There's that sharp, almost sour sugar thing going on. Arrghh, geroff me! But I persevere. I'm a trooper like that. *brave face*

drying down: Not liking this. The sugar note is just so overpowering and icky, and I can smell what seems like a sweet floral under that that I'm also not enjoying. The lovely oak is strugging under the weight of all that sugar. It peeks out occasionally, but not enough for me to enjoy it.

extended drydown: oh hey, what's this? The sugar has settled into a very mild burnt sweetness, and the oak and honey are really warming up and starting to sing. This ain't so bad. It's warm and a lil alcoholic with just a touch of honeyed sweetness. In fact, this is actually quite good. But underneath it all I can still smell that sourish sugar. :\

Overall: Ends up being actually pretty good, but I don't know if it's worth sitting through that unpleasant drydown. I think I'll be looking for other honey/oak pairings, but without that ooky sugar to spoil the party.

It's some kind of nasty airy scent right when I put it on, but it quickly calms down to a woodsy sugar smell. It has really good throw, but the molasses note is kind of....off putting. I'll have to try it again.

In the imp, this is very sweet, almost boozy, with the oak lying far enough underneath that it might not be a problem. On my skin, it's very sweet, with the honey, molasses, and sugar cane dominating, and the oak wood seemingly nowhere to be found. We'll see what it does. Ends up being entirely too sweet, and the oak note curdles things on me. Ehh, going to pass.

Edited by Venneh

In imp: Sugared dark rum with a touch of all spice.

Wet: body warmth makes it smell sweet and slightly musky. The spiciness subsides slightly. reminds me of hot buttered rum or a liquor cookie/cake glaze.

Drydown: Maintains all elements. Morphing part of this phase: the oak wood starts to come out and smells aged, not fresh. I like it! This is actually quite refined!

Like others have said this has good throw. Would be nice for a hot date or raucous night on the town. Good for both sexes (when used modestly). I think particularly musky men should really use with caution.. it's potent and I could see it potentially knocking their object of affection out or being a total overpowering turn-off.

Edited by SophieCedar

I really wanted to like this, but the molasses in this scent is so overpowering on my skin, it's making me nauseaus :(

I can smell the oak and the honey, but only vaguely in the background. I smell like I've been drinking too much alcohol :-D

Edited by Sinmara

This starts out as thick goopy yummy molasses - it reminded me of when you mix melted butter with brown sugar before the cookies. Then - the rum punch came tootling right along, and it now smells like one of those Caribbean drinks where you can't taste any of the alcohol but just two or three is enough to put you on your ass with stars twirling around your head and a goofy smile on your face!

Very much a woody-caramel in the imp and wet on the skin.

As it dries, it gets more of a sweet wood scent. I think the sugar cane, instead of just pure sugar is what helps that along. The molasses is dark and sweet, just like in Lawn Gnome.

This is more sweet than I usually like - but it's not a disagreeable scent. The more it dries the less sticky sweet it is and the more it mellows out. Not something I'd reach for without being in the mood, and honestly, Lawn Gnome is close enough that I'd probably just grab that first.

K, this one is reeeeally weird on me. I don't get the molasses, or the honey, or any of the other notes. To me, this smells exactly like the earl grey tea with bergamot I had this morning. In the bottle, I really get the creamy honey vanilla, but on my skin this turns into something completely different. The imp is definitely a keeper, as I do like it, and I can't wait to retest once it ages a bit to see if it smells like it should LOL

ETA_- ok so an hour and a half later, the bergamot, citrus note has faded, and now it smells like a cup of tea with cream and sugar...so.....weird...but I LOVE it!!

In the bottle it smells almost syrupy and a bit musky. As soon as it hits my skin, though, its like a sweet fruit which has been dipped in honey. The fruity scent fades rather fast as it starts to dry and it the oak and sugar notes become most prominent.

Edit to add: Hours later I smell like waffles in syrup with a little bit of vanilla.

Edited by AgentOrange

Molasses and booze: first smells like rum, then dark ale. Incredibly strong stuff. My partner says it smells weird. Now I'm smelling something between lawn clippings and celery, underneath the boozy molasses. It might be ok layered with lots of vanilla. Or with Antikythera Mechanism. 2 1/2 stars out of 5. Ok, but not for me.

very warm and sugary, sweet outdoor molasses honey. I do not get anything green from this, nor do I get boozy. There might be an almost root beer / cream soda undervibe to it now that I've wore it for a few hours, but I think that's just molasses and honey on my skin.

frimp from a fellow forumite

On wet, this is like a slightly lighter form of Gluttony. It's minus the chocolate, and is somewhat less overpoweringly sweet. Might be the oak, tempering the molasses notes a bit.

Drydown: Yes, the wood note is calming this down a tad. I can very rarely wear gluttony, as it's just too overpoweringly rich and sweet, but this is more my speed.

I'll have to see how it wears throughout the day, but this one might be a keeper. And if Kill-Devil stays Gluttony but more wearable, my imp of Gluttony might make a trip to the swaps box.

This is my FAVORITE scent so far. It's very sweet smelling. When wet it smells strongly of oak but also like brown sugar and sticky honey. When it dries it starts to smell like burning autumn leaves. It's positively DELICIOUS.