Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Kill-Devil

"Rum punch is not improperly called Kill-Devil; for thousands lose their lives by its means. When newcomers use it to the least excess, they expose themselves to imminent peril, for it heats the blood and brings on fevers, which in a very few hours send them to their graves."

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

I couldn't find any reviews yet of Kill-Devil, so here goes.

In the imp: It's super-foody. Kill-Devil smells like thick, sluggish, honeyed molasses in a wooden cask. However, it's not exactly "sweet." It almost reminds me of this cough medicine I once had--I think it had a honey-eucalyptus flavoring but there with added sugars for taste. It made me sort of nauseated, to tell the truth.

Wet on skin: I can smell the oak in the background, but the smell is still very thick. I am picturing a glutinous golden syrup moving ever so sloooowly and covering everything in its path.

Dry: It's strange--with every whiff, my nostrils feel an almost minty chill--is it just my mind tying the cough medicine in with the scent so that I think I'm smelling the eucalyptus too? Hmm...now it reminds me of honey-eucalyptus cough drops. Bah.

Final thoughts: I'm definitely going to have to test this one again. It's definitely different--I just can't tell whether I like it or not! Points to Beth for an accurate portrayal of the notes!

Thick and sweet honey close to the skin, with a delightfully edible throw. Once dry, a bit of the oak comes out, grounding the sweetness and (I believe) increasing the longevity.

It is a lighter honey than the one in O, and I suspect more wearable for those who find O to be too much. This is beautiful, and very sensual. I felt edible! My husband loves it. I'll be getting a bottle with my next order.

First off, I don't like caramel (as I re-discovered today), so don't take too much stock in the negativity that ensues below.

I tried this the same day that I tried Incubus, which is also heavy on the sweet thick caramel note. This may have confused my nose for the day.

But, whatever the reason, I got hit by the wall of caramel and never got anything else out of Kill-Devil. I kept trying to get a hint of honey, and a few times I think I may have, but the caramel-rum note was so strong and sticky and sweet I just couldn't enjoy it.

I can see why other people might like this, but it's too much caramel for me. I will pass this along!

In the bottle, it was almost exactly like Sugar Skull. However, on applying, it's got a personality all its own. It's a white, syrupy sugar at first, then the honey (similar to the honey in Honey Moon) and wood come in to give it an amazing roundness and richness. I absolutely adore this, and I'm glad that (for the first time in 2.5 years of BPAL-ing) I bought a GC 5ml unsniffed!

You definitely have to like the sugar note, but those who like it will like this a LOT.

Oh, YUM. Thick, sweet molasses! Not unlike Sugar Skull but this is a thicker, heavier sweetness than the spun sugar of SS. There's a hint of woodiness in there too. This is delicious and I may need a bottle immediately.

straight sniff from the bottle is thick blackstrap molasses and brown sugar....omG :P

once applied the molasses is forefront and has quite a tang to it...amazing!

this has a strong throw and lasts forever on me...after a while a touch of honey...

almost creamy...foody...

i truly love this and should beth do more with molasses i would most def be

purchasing....

knock your sox off rad blend!!

kill-devil is SO EFFING DELICIOUS. sweet, sticky and dark. it's kind of like bonfire night only not burnt and smokey. the honey is gorgeous, so smooth and sweet. the mollasses is dark and gooey and the wood rounds it all out. lasts a long time, too. i am in love!

Kill-Devil-

In Bottle: Oh, yum. Dark and sugary alcoholic syrup.

Wet: Wild--there's a sweet floral in this. A grape-y, carnation-y floral.

Dry: A little musty, but a little burnt-sugar sweetness too. I do wish it had been a more pleasing scent for me; maybe I'll try this one in scent lockets.

Overall: Maybe scent lockets.

This is a sweet Smut to me. I'm getting a touch of black strap molasses, but the notes are blending together in a way that makes this smell like an almost limey rum and simple syrup combination.

As it dries, Kill-devil fades to become a very sexy "second skin" scent. But not clean, fresh-scrubbed skin, skin that has been out drinking rum and dancing all night and has fallen into a contented sleep under the stars after some strenuous exercise with a wonderfully sweaty pirate.

Do I even need to state that I'll be ordering a bottle of this in my next order? I feel like I need a cigarette after just sniffing my arm.

In the vial when I first sniffed this, I recoiled and thought, "Ugh. Way too sweet." It's like syrup and sugar and honey and more sugar. There's also a high, sharp something in the background. On my skin, this is much, much better. It's also a hard scent to describe.

I'm pretty sure that I smell lime in this for the first half hour or so, and the overall scent reminds me of some sort of tropical bar with dim, intimate lighting. I get a zesty, sweet lime-esque note mixed in with dark sugars, syrups, and booze. There's also a sense of polished, dark wood. This isn't overly sweet at all on my skin, especially after giving it a few minutes to dry (though it has a definite SUGAR hit to it). Something about this makes me want to go dancing. In a dark club. On a beach. It makes me sad to be in Canada on the edge of winter.

This is dark sugars, a bit boozy, a bit tropical in feel, and with enough other notes cutting the sweetness to make it delicious and very wearable for me.

All in all, this is a fantastic sort of party scent to me. It just smells fun. Kill-Devil is the sort of scent that I could wear and feel like someone else (like an energetic, exotic party girl). My boy, however, hates this blend, lol. He gave it a 2 out of 10 and couldn't describe what he found off putting about it. I might get a bottle of this and wear it on nights out when we're not together though.

WOW! I'm with the pure molasses crowd!! This puppy packs a sugar-whallop :P

In the bottle: Meh... Nostril singe... yowch.

Wet on skin: Hmmmm... kinda Sugar Skull meets Midway... nom nom nom!

Drydown: Yup... molasses! Caramelized sugar... yumminess all around! Don't think I'll need a buttload of this stuff... an imp should keep me fixed for a while. For sure a comfort scent! Schnuggle-fuel.

4/5

This is wonderful!

From wet to dry, it doesn't change. It's sugary sweet molasses and honey with wood underneath. Surprisingly, it's not heavy or cloying on me, but rather quite clean smelling. The throw isn't huge, but boy do I love catching random whiffs of it as I move.

DH likes it, but I suspect that's because when we were visiting the Outer Banks NC, we stayed in Kill-Devil Hills. My son loves it, but he's an evil enabler to begin with.

So glad I bought a bottle straight off!

This is the oddest review that I will probably ever write.

Kill-Devil turns into a sophisticated, somewhat spicy version of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth on my skin.

I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. :P It is funny. I was once a ho' for Electric Youth. Must have been the snazzy packaging or something like that.

Kill-Devil is sweet and has an odd fruitiness to it. I guess that's how the sugar cane and honey meld. Initially, it is a syrupy sweet dark caramel. Delicious. I hated Sugar Skull, but love this. If you like foody scents, give it a try.

Edited by lysithea

Wow, I got a woody :P In the bottle, it is foody and molasses-y, but on me, the sugar blends in great partnership with a wood aroma, like leaning up against fine wood paneling and inhaling the atmosphere. Sensuous. It's great! I'm happy I have a bottle.

Update: I changed my mind somewhat. It's good, not great. I really like the realism that these wood notes convey, but I can't see smelling like this all over. Pass!

Edited by dirtytrip

a foody blend of molasses and honey. what a perfect combination these sweet syrups make. there’s a burnt sugar note in this that's sharp and almost tart -- in fact, i mistook it for lemon at first. but it fades over time and blends in with everything else. the oak adds a lovely woody base. decadent and addictive.

Wet: Lime, tomato, and sugar. buh?

Drying: Now it's boozy. But still with the tomatoey-limey-bowl o' sugar.

Drier: And there's the oak.

Dry: Rum, molasses, and freshly mown grass.

Even More Dry: Birch beer. Gah.

This...argh. I want to like this - it's a very unique, peppy, capricious kind of scent, and the individual notes are appealing (though the honey doesn't show up on me) - but it just doesn't work for me as a whole. It morphs like crazy, which is fascinating, but anything that ends up at root beer or birch beer is a big no.

I ordered this one more out of curiosity than anything... And it' s definitely interesting. The sugary note that you find in Smut, Devil's Night, etc., with a sort of musty wooden undercurrent.

I actually found I liked the faint whiffs of it I'd get through the day when I wore it, but I did not like how it smelled if I actually got close to my wrist. I don't mind that sugar note when it's mixed with other things I like better, but woody notes are kind of hit and miss on me and this one is more of a miss.

So, on the whole... Interesting, but not for me.

Grade: C+

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: This was one of the new GC scents that I was curious about, but hadn't gotten around to ordering a new imp pack yet.

In the Bottle: Honey and molasses, smacking me in the nose.

Wet: The honey and molasses are in a cage match for dominance, then a sweet, almost floral note rises.

Drydown: Yeah, there's definitely an odd note that is at times floral and at times citrusy-lime, all very sweet and sun-warmed. I can't get any woodsy element at all. And my husband is complaining from across the room that it's too strong.

Verdict: Guess not.

Wow this is some good stuff! I don't normally go for the heavy heavy sweet blends like Grog and Hellcat, but I really love this one. It's definitely a bit lighter than the other that were mentioned. All the notes are present from the beginning and blend well together to form the sort of natural, dark sweetness. For reference, I find the sweetness to be very, very similar to the sweet notes in Bonfire Night (however there is NO smokiness in Kill-Devil) It kind of reminds me of a dark, glistening maple sugar, with the hint of oak being in there. It doesn't morph much and has a decent amount of throw. I'm really glad I gambled on ordering an unsniffed bottle of this one, it's definitely a winner in my book! :P

Kill-Devil – This is horrific to me. I don’t like the gooey, sweet notes like caramel, and I had a feeling that molasses was going to fall in that category, too, and it sure does. I’m also not usually a big fan of BPAL honey notes. This scent is ultra-sweet in a heavy and dark molasses-type way, sweetened by loads of honey and sugar. There’s a bit of a sharp, woody note, but mostly, it’s just heavy molasses and honey. It’s quite unpleasant on me and to me. Pass!

sniffed from the imp: dark, thick molasses & raw sugar

on skin: oh this is soo yummy! oak and molasses -- blending into what i had wanted Misk U to be, before i got to try it.

the honey keeps trying to come out and do something bad and medicinal here, but so far - perhaps through sheer force of will alone - this just keeps getting richer - not sweeter, just richer and more savory.

In the imp, it's molasses - not just molasses, but MOLASSES. I actually said "Whoa" out loud when I sniffed the imp.

On my skin, it calms WAY down; the honey and the oak come out. This is actually REALLY nice.

When it dries, it's a little more molasses-y, and spicy cinnamon-y. It's nice, but I miss the wet phase.

Holy sweetness. This is one sugary imp, y'all. In the imp, it was all caramel, but on my skin it turned... sharper? Brighter? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just develops a whole bunch of other layers that really sing through. I love the wood undertone beneath the caramel/molasses; it turns the whole blend a bit more sophisticated.

Just caught a whiff of this on my wool scarf and it's lovely- warm and sweet and exotic- so I'm thinking this might be good in a scent locket. I don't generally buy bottles of GC scents but the imp is a keeper for sure.

In the imp, this is a serious butterscotch-caramel-molasses smell. I don't get much booze at all.

Wet on my skin, this is straight-up caramel sugar. It's like Sugar Skull, with more white sugar and less burnt brown sugar smell. This is seriously, seriously sugary. Not for the faint of heart!

Okay, so, full disclosure: I love smelling like sugar. And I sort of adore this. It's rot-your-teeth sugary, with a honey note that plays well on my skin (for once!). This is not for people who don't want to smell like sugar. This is not a typical foody blend, in that it doesn't have anything bakery-like or fruity at all, it just smells like sugar.

This is yummy. I am keeping the imp!

Oh yum! A rich, foody, thick smelling scent. Like sweet molasses, with a honeyed base, and an oak, earthy background. A very interesting scent indeed! It is what I would imagine a giant honey hive in the middle of a big, ancient oak forest would smell like. This is a very cool scent!

On the dry down the super sweetness tones down, and it's left smelling like a woodsy honey blend.

Not a lot of throw, but very sweet and yummy.