Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
malanna

Lughnasadh

The first of the year's Harvest Festivals. Lughnasadh represents a rest from toil and a time of reflection. Fertility magick is practised, as is agricultural magick used to ensure a bountiful Autumn harvest. The holy day is named after the Celtic deity Lugh, God of Skill in All Things, Patron of the Arts and Sciences. ...

Got an imp of this from allamanda. :D

First sniff:

Almost almondy smelling but with a vaguely fruity undertone. Very odd, but I'm thinking maybe it's cherry I'm smelling instead of almond...I tend to confuse them sometimes and this doesn't appear to be making me sick, so it's probably cherry. Normally I avoid almond scents like the plague because they make me horribly sick, but on the off chance that this doesn't stay almondy (or on the off chance that it is cherry I'm smelling), I'll give it a shot. :D

Wet on skin:

Almond with a hint of cherry. I'm confused because I can smell both and I don't know if it's just cherry I'm smelling and I'm confusing it for both almond and cherry or if there really is almond in here. Right now, I'm erring on the side of caution and not breathing too deep. I don't want another replay of the Baron Samedi incident. There's also a somewhat grassy-smelling undertone to this, like dried hay. Very unusual.

Dry down:

No more almonds! It smells like some sort of grain to me now but creamy at the same time. It's not quite foody, more like fresh-chaffed wheat. I really don't know quite how to accurately describe it, but it's beautiful. :D

The bottom line:

I don't know what's in this, but once it gets past the almond/cherry stage, it's gorgeous. I'm glad I gave it a shot in spite of the initial almond scent. :P

I'm SO glad I have this one! Worth every hard earned penny!

Gorgeously sweet, like cooking, almonds and vanilla predominate the scent as it's wet.

As I wear it I can smell all sorts of other bakeing goodness appear- berries, cinnamon, cherries... Oh what a happy scent! Every time it switches to another note (berries to cherries to almond to vanilla to just cooking desserts in general) it's a new wonder!

This is one of those bottles I would seriously DIE if I lost!

:P

Another I'd LOVE to drink. Why can't anything taste as good as BPAL smells!?

Lughnasadh is rich dark fruits with a bit of red wine simmering beneath. There is definitely cherry with a hint of plum and cranberry.

This scent is delicious and it lasts almost all day without needing a reapplication.

Yum!

Perfection-plain and simple.

Lugnasadh stayed true from the bottle to my skin over the course of several hours. It is a warm, cozy scent, with hints of good things all around.

It smells like mulled cider, berry tea in the bag, and oddly enough, sweet feed.

If I could mix my horse’s sweet feed with the berries and mulled cider and get this smell, I’d be a sticky mess trailed by ponies.

I will be using my bottle oh-so-carefully...hoarding it (from myself) for special occasions only.

I think I'll join the lughnasadh love fest :P

I've had a couple of imps of this for awhile, got them in a swap, and I can't say how much I hope this comes back so I have a chance to buy a bottle of it. Definite scent of cherries, but not the metalic cherries in a goblet scent of the Ace of Cups, rather the scent, perhaps, of cherry cider. I wouldn't be surprised if there is also apples in it.

the spicy note others mention is there too, but light, so I wonder if its cloves, not cinnamon? I say this because my skin just amplifies cinnamon (which is fine I love it) and this doesn't, but has a softer spice on me...which for me has happened with what I think of as clove scents (like French Creole).

I love this! I already used most of an imp because for awhile it was my favorite bedtime scent (before I moved onto Dia de los muertos and hearth).

Please, please, bring us another scent like this.

And a note...I compared it to Mabon, and found Mabon good, but not quite as delightful. Mabon was more appley for me, not quite as complex.

Just received a bottle of this in a swap....and BOY, am I glad I did.

I had read the reviews and knew that it was a cherry blend, so I was a bit wary, but curiousity won out....

In the bottle, it is VERY cherry. The comment about cherry cider above is dead on. It's not a cherry cough syrup type, like some other blends I've had with cherry, but just a perfect, natural cherry.

As it dries, it slowly shifts. It starts with the natural cherry, then becomes cherry with a background of deep, sweet spices.

After about 20-30 minutes, the two trade places, and it's spices with a background of yummy black cherries.

As the day wore on, I got less cherry, but the sweet spices stayed with me for quite some time afterwards.

Overall, very plesant and I'm so happy I have a bottle of this all to myself!

I missed out on ordering a bottle of Lughnasadh (it was available before I got into ordering the LEs), but I got an imp in a swap.

Wet: Honeyed cherries. I don't like cherries. But I really want to like this oil, so I'm going to give it a go.

Dry: It's gotten spicier. Like mulled wine, but...mulled cherries. Very nice! But more of a fall scent to me - I can't wear it right now.

My impressions after two testings:

Wet I smell honey and something sweet, like red currant or cherry.

First put on, I get a sweet almost sandalwoody or nutty scent mixed with maybe vanilla and a touch of spice. The spice picks up a little after a while.

During the day I get quick flashes of "honey." It really makes me think of those cinnamon honey-roasted almonds you can get around the holidays! Also reminds me of a honey almond bath bomb I got at Garden Botanika once...

This imp will definitely be a keeper, and since it's an LE I guess I'll have to parcel it out for special occasions!

I got an imp of this one, and I am so glad. It smells fruity and spicy out of the imp. On, it is fruity, spicy and it dries down to a wonderful warm fruity scent. It isn't foody though, there is a musky scent similar to what I get from Sudha Segara that keeps it from smelling like spicy fruit punch. I like this one a lot, too bad it is an LE...

excuse me as i bawl my eyes out cause all i have is an imp

this is incredible...

starts off cherry wine smokiness

but becomes deeper...there was some floral, some wine, definitely a hint of smoke (i was wondering if it was buring cherry tobacco at first) and maybe apple cider? this is so multilayered, gorgeous and perfect i need more i hope it comes back

Thanks to clover for the decant!

First sniff: Sweet almond – or cherry – over a deeper woody note.

Wearing: It turns from bright to spicy on my skin. And now that it’s drying I understand the comparisons to Samhain. This is so amazingly not a springtime scent – it makes me want to crunch through fallen leaves with a chill in the air. Which is rather amusing, because Lughnasadh around here is the dog days of summer… but it’s very much a harvest scent.

Thank you so much, jj_j, for giving me an imp of this. It's so lovely, and I'm grateful to have a chance to try it.

In the vial and wet: fruity and sweet. Grape? Blackberry?

On: honey! Honey and...is that musk? Maybe not...but something sexy and deep. As it dries, the sweet honey becomes slightly spiced. It's almost incensey, but still sweet and simple. This is lovely--add me to the list of people begging for this to come back. :P

In the bottle

Soft, warm, deep cherry.

On

Cherry. Dark rich cherry. There's something kinda sexy underneath like musk maybe? There must be vanilla and there's also some spice in here too that I'm not sure on but it's the same kind that's in Snake Oil I think. It's a good thing. I don't get quite the cough syrupy scent that some folks get with this blend which I'm thankful for as normally my nose would be the one to smell that.

Something herby or greenish and slightly floral coming out now but only slightly.

30 minutes

This might be a touch too sweet as it dries. I'm wondering if there's amber in here as I sense a resinous sticky quality to the sweetness.

It also gets more floral on me as it dries. Normally that's never a good thing with me but in this case it is, it breaks up that syrupy quality.

Drying further it takes on more of a tarter cherry, a bit tarter than the initial ripe sweetness.

Throw:

Better then average throw.

Scent category:

Foody/Fruity/Spicy

Summary

Like Samhain, Beltane and Mabon, Lughnasadh definitely represents up that season nicely. Ihis leans towards being a strong scent. This is definitely a scent that you must sniff, wear wet, wear dry, etc in order not to dismiss it as too something. Of the cherry-ish bpal blends, this is along the same lines of "The Red Queen's" cherry in it's dark richness, but it's sweeter and more syrupy. It's somewhat similar to Formula 54 too but more floral and not as sexy.

When it dries the smell of the vanilla and the cherry are quite intoxicating and comforting at the same time. If this were a tiny bit less sweet and floral it would be "5 star" good.

Purchase again?

I'm glad I have the 10ml I have and I enjoy it. I would probably buy more if I ran out (if it were available I mean).

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Edited by UltraViolet

Origin - Imp received in a swap.

Wet - cherry cough syrup.

Dry - At first it's still cherry with something underneath. As it dries, it becomes apparent that what is underneath is the same notes as in Samhain. This is Samhain with cherries instead of with pumpkins and apples. Unfortunately, as much as I love Samhain, I am not a cherry fan, so this doesn't work for me. But if you like cherries, it would be fantastic.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

If the autumn Sabbat scents had colors, Samhain would be orange and black, Mabon would be green and purple, and Lughnasadh would be red and gold :D

I smelled the cherry and the almond, and a smooth golden tone beneath them--dried grasses and wheat?

This is a beautiful scent, and maybe if I can prove to Beth that I can pronounce and spell it properly, it will come back this year :P

Oh! I hope this comes back this year. :P

In the imp: Rich cherries and spice.

Wet on skin: I can see exactly what people mean about Samhain with a cherry base. It's got that same richness as Samhain (like the buttery-rich note in Gluttony), but here I smell cherries, and something like grain, but sweet. It's very warm.

Drydown: Staying quite similar in the drydown, although the cherry isn't as predominant now. This is a wonderful scent for the first harvest - sun-warmed berries, golden grain, a bit of a grassy note, and lovely syrupy spices - a little cinnamon, and then clove, I think.

It's a very sun-gold, abundant scent. I wish I had more than an imp's worth!

Lughnasadh - received in a swap with chopchica. Thanks!

In the bottle: Almonds, darkest cherry, perhaps a whiff of smoke. Good so far. :D

On me/wet: Almonds and cherry are the initial hits, followed by autumnal spices. Cinnamon, clove, maybe apple? Sweet, spicy, kind of potpourri-ish.

Drydown: Did I say sweet and spicy? Sweet and spicy it is. Clove, mostly. And soothing, for some reason. I feel calmness emanating from this scent. :D I still get little wafts of fruit every so often - mainly apple.

This is one I've been wanting to try for quite a while, without any particular reason. I'm so glad I got the chance, because it is truly beautiful. :P I think it'll be a fall scent, though.

Bottle (Imp): Apple cider. I LIKE.

Just On: Mulled apple cider. I LOVE.

An hour or two later: Spiced mulled apple cider, and it's Ggorgeous!

Around 6 hours: Now it's faded down to more of the spices, with the apple cider fading into the background. It's beautiful.

12 hours: It's still smelling so beautifully mildly spiced, and the apple is there, but faded to the back. This just hit my top five, in nothing flat.

Overall: I really really reallyreally love this scent. If this comes out again, I'll SO be buying a few bottles.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get any fruits besides apple in this, and that was cider to boot, which is different than just smelling apples. It's beautiful at all stages of drying down, and I'm going to hoard this one.

Wet, and in the bottle, this is very sweet cherry with a touch of cinnamony goodness.

I have had this bottle since it's release, and never worn it due to the cinnamon in it (though I have decanted two imps from it at one point, so I have smelled it quite a bit in the past). Since my skin seems to have recently stopped hating some of Beth's cinnamon blends, I decided to get my bottle out of the box and try it.

Once this starts to dry down on my skin, the bright sweet cherry/berry scent fades a bit and the cinnamon comes out stronger than it appeared in the bottle. It's now more cinnamon and less fruity on me, to the point where the cherry I first caught has all but disappeared.

My arm's not too sure about this one yet, it's got a bit of a tingly feeling where I applied it, though no redness to speak of at the moment (unlike what most cinnamon sccents create on my skin).

After close to 30 minutes this is all cinnamon with a hint of powder on me. And it's still got that tingly burny thing going on with my wrist... so apparently not all cinnamons agree with me. :P

In the bottle : wet and sweet, bursting cherries. Yum!

on the skin : I can still smell cherry distinctly and its a little warm too. Smells a little like cinnamon. But faint and not too strong. My skin usually begins to itch with cinnamon, but it hasn't happened.

a bit later : hmm, its still very cherry. Still very sweet and gorgeous. It's a little too sweet for me, but it remains pretty throughout the extent of the day. It has great lasting power, I didn't need to reapply at all.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Apple cinnamon.

In the imp/bottle: Warm apple and strong, earthy cinnamon.

On skin, wet: Cinnamon, fresh apple and almonds. Rich and spicy and gorgeous.

On skin, dry: Warm, cinnamony apple. I don't always care for apple in blends, but this is lovely.

Conclusion: Figures that this -- something so hard to find -- would be both the pefect cinnamon-apple scent for me. If this ever came back around, I'd buy at least two bottles.

Edited by Aredhel

I feel very lucky to get to try this scent out. It's very hard to get ahold of and of course, I have to fall in love with it. :P That's how it always is.

This is a very lovely cinnamon-apple scent with warmth and sweetness to it. It's like mulled wine and I just love it. It kind of reminds me of Lady MacBeth with a slightly more cinnamony base.

I'm going to have to try and get more, but until then, I'll cherish my little imp.

First on, this smells like almond and cinnamon on me. I'm getting that boozy, syrupy cherry scent that I sometimes get from almond. With the hint of cinnamon, this is rather sharp and unpleasant on me. It's reminding me a bit of cough syrup.

15 minutes later, the drydown is heavenly :P. I'm getting more of a juicy ripe blackberry and clove scent. It smells just like blackberry pie. It's a lovely warm foodie scent.

I'll definitely be hoarding my decant.

lughnasadh.jpg

I am so sorry I missed this one when it was available. Such a great scent.

First, I smell almonds and cherries, then a comforting almost mint like backwash (which reminds me of a similar tone in Harvest Moon 2005 but sharper in Harvest Moon). Something wheaty, nut like, cinnamon-esque, apple. The smells of the harvest of August. Though all of these are exciting scents, there is a dreamy component to Lughnasadh as it should be. Very sexy in a vibrant earth way. It eventually adds up to a perfumy smell but with enough "naturals" to make you at peace with it.

Lughnasadh is a beautiful scent and if it ever comes back I am going to snag a lot of it.

The icon is the "Green Man" a symbol of the bounty of the earth, and a proper icon for Lughnasadh which is the feast of the first (summer) harvest when the great fruitings were gathered and the storing for winter started. It was a fertility feast accompanied by lots of sexy behavior, eating and drinking and merriment.

*-* LUGHNASADH *-*

Love and thanks to a very sweet and generous Magpiedee who frimped this to me.

I have been searching for the *PERFECT* earthy scent that embodied Autumn. While Harvest Moon came close to what I was looking for, it just missed the mark. Then I smelled Lughnasadh! This is my perfect scent- I just wish I had a bottle to make this my signature. I think Lughnasadh embodies the perfection, talent, and magic of Beth and what she can do. This is just absolutely the #1 oil to own.

This is the first harvest personified. I smell warm apples, fresh pennyroyal, chrysanthemum, spices, grain, and dried leaves - not the end of September leaves, but the dry, parched leaves of the end of August.

Wow! Just....Wow!