Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Jailhouse hooch. Distilled in toilets, this vintage is comprised of chow line droppings, including oranges, apples, ketchup, and sugar.

Okay, so this actually has been the scent of the last three days. I am in love. Waiting for this to arrive was killing me. When the release was posted, so many people were going "ewwww" and I was going "SQUEE!!!" because I just knew that as odd as it sounded, these notes would totally work.

In the bottle this is OMG Booze!! Like totally I could get rip roaring drunk just smelling this booze. And it's a sweet booze. Mostly the apples I think. But as soon as I put it on, it starts to change. Yes ladies and gents, this is a morpher. The booze fades and the oranges, apples, and sugar come to the front and smell clean and feminine. After it's been on for about 10 minutes, everything plays together really well and it all just blends. I can pick out the individual notes still, but none of them are overpowering the rest. And if I pay very close attention, I can get occasional whiffs of ketchup. Not alot or even overly noticeable if you're not really looking for it. And it's more of the sweetness that you can smell in ketchup rather than a tomato sort of smell.

I love Pruno. I will be hunting down more of this. Oh yes. Must have more. :P

When I wear this scent, I am strongly reminded of the smell of a bag of SweeTarts. You remember it too, that sweet, fruity, cavity-inducing aroma. I love it, but I like smelling like SweeTarts. It's tangy and fizzy, and actually smells a whole lot like Glitter on my skin. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison, but from what I remember, it is nearly identical.

I smell no tomato, and no apple, interestingly enough. Just sweet, tart fruits and fizzy white wine all blended up into a smell that I want to eat. :P I love boozy scents, and this is one that will wear nicely all summer.

what the.....?

this is the first BPAL that I can't smell. seriously. no matter how much I apply, I get a fizzy fruity scent for all of about 10 seconds (and it smells really good), then it just fizzles out. weird. I've tried on 2 different days now, same thing......

for the 10 seconds, I get mild fermentation over various fruit notes......I see where people are saying 'ginger ale', although on me that's not quite it.....more like that Aranciata soda in the blue can. I like it, too bad it goes away so quickly.....

When I wear this scent, I am strongly reminded of the smell of a bag of SweeTarts.

Exactly! It smells exactly like sweetarts on me. Not really fruit, but fruit flavor, where orange doesn't actually taste anything like an orange, but you know the color code, so you think 'orange' anyway. I don't get any tomato leaf scent at all, or toilets.

Okay, scent memory time. In the early-to-mid 80s, my grandmother drank a lot of Red Rose Tea, and each box came with a little ceramic animal that she'd keep for me and they'd always still smell strongly of the tea. I hadn't thought about those animals in *years*, but when I got my Pruno/Privilege box from the lab, the inside smelled just like the those animals, with that lingering tea scent, and it was coming from the Pruno bottle. Nothing leaked, but even in the closed bottle all I could think of with this was that tea!

Moving on...

In the bottle: A combination of Red Rose tea and orange drink - not orange juice, but that corn syrup artificial orange drink.

On: No ketchup or apples (sadly, since I love the scent of apples), but it smells like ginger ale mixed with orange drink.

Dry: Unfortunately this one is not wearable for me - the oranges (more often a miss than a hit note for me) smell fake. Sometimes they work on me and I hoped the apples would come out more prominently, but this one isn't a very good match for me.

To me, this smells just like it is supposed to--HiC fruit juice and fermented linens. I am actually a bit nauseated.

To the swaps, to the swaps, to the swaps.

On me, quite simply: Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill Wine. Boozy, sweet and apple-berry-ish.

So it's not exactly the scent to wear to a power lunch, but damn, it is good for a hoot. :P

Edited by valentina

Oh, Pruno. I had best walk the straight and narrow path, because you and I don't get along at all.

I am not surprised that Pruno doesn't work for me -- with the exception of rum, BPAL booze is generally bad news on my skin -- but I couldn't resist the opportunity to test this one out. About 30 minutes or so into the drydown, this isn't bad -- faint orange and tomato leaf -- but that initial wet blast of fermented fruit and champagne makes my stomach flip, and not in a good way. I agree with previous posters that, if you love the cocktail BPALs like Swank (also really bad on me!), you are likely to love this one. I'll have to send this one off to a better home!

I put this on and started LAUGHING. SO HARD. I smell like orange soda! I smell like carbonated orange soda! Glee! (Flashback to the '90s: the madre & I immediately began, "Who loves orange soda?" "Kel loves orange soda...")

I can't imagine ever wearing it as a perfume, but AHAHA, ORANGE SODA.

(Also: I had a mimosa in honor of this. Not that there's any alcoholic note, here, but - I felt like having a mimosa!)

OH, ugh. This one frankly smells like vomit on me. But then, jailhouse hooch sounds pretty foul, too.

I'll stick with Swank- they're sort of similar, with the effervescent sweet-tartness.

Pruno smells a lot like Orange Slice to me, but it develops a dry, dusty note on my skin that is distinctly 'yuck'. I knew it would do this as soon as I sniffed it in the bottle. Oh, well. I'll send it on to a happier home!

Pruno starts off smelling something like orange sweet tarts and sprite on my skin, and then promptly dries down to a sickly powdery fragrance. It's powdery, but with something 'off' underneath the powder. Rotten fruit and powder? It gives me a headache. :P

Ahhh Pruno, another unique creation by Beth!! This is very different, but actually smells much better than I thought it would. It reminds me immediately of sangria, but definitely a strong, red sangria from an authentic Mexican restaurant. It is deep, fruity, boozy and dark, with a sprinkling of something zesty in the middle. Apples and merlot, quite a change from the norm.

This is not a real strong one, and I have to be pretty close to my skin to smell it. I think I like this, it's not something I would want to wear a lot, but it's such a hilarious idea that I think I'll hold on to my bottle for awhile.

In the vial:

slightly floral

On me:

I don't get too much of the notes listed for this - in fact, I do smell something vaguely fruity, but I'm not really convinced it's orange or apple. It has an overall "bubbly" feeling - as others have mentioned, the idea of a fruit spritzer comes to mind when smelling this. It's light, bright, zesty, effervescent and vaguely fruity (but in a sort of floral way actually).

Final note:

Hard to describe - it's not as sweet or fruity as I had imagined, and is instead a very clean, bubbly sort of smell. It's pleasant though and I think will go well with the warm weather.

I homebrew, and to me this smells like orange wine in primary fermentation (I've made orange wine), when the yeast is gorging rapidly and you can hear it bubbling from across the room. It's fruity, fizzy, sweet, and pleasant. A nice summery scent.

PRUNO

In Bottle: Sour nasty water

On Skin: At first this smelled like dish water after you’ve cleaned a bunch of dishes. Very sour, leftover food, ick… The apple is very sour and the orange adds to that super tartness. The ketchup makes my stomach turn a bit and the sugar doesn’t seem to be sweetening anything up. Some people have compared it to wine spritzers and I can agree. It has that fermented and carbonated feel. Not something I ever want to smell like though. As the scent develops, it becomes much less rancid and more fruity. Still a bit too sour for me and overall it smells like juice that’s gone bad. Oh my god, I just realized what it smells like exactly!!!! Orange Airborne tablets!!! Those tablets you disolve in water and drink to fight off a cold. I hate to say anything negative about Beth’s blends, but this one hates me with a passion. I need to wash it off. Strong through and unknown wearlength.

Edited by slave1

Bottle: The sticky remnants in a cafeteria garbage bin.

Wet: Fermented, rotten fruit.

Dry: Fermented, rotten fruit.

This does NOT change on my skin at all. I wish it did. I'm going to try it again in a week or so, but I don't have high hopes for this.

I know that I can't wear lemon, or anything vaguely lemony - my skin amps it right up and turns all the beautiful rich complex notes I smell in the bottle into lemon bathroom cleaner, occasionally lemon fabric softener for a change. Really :D

Today I learnt that it's not lemon I can't wear, it's citrus. Pruno in the bottle is soft fizzy orange sherbet. Pruno on my skin starts out fizzy fermenting orange, and rapidly descends into vile cheap orange soap. And then the soap amps more and more and more... :D

Pruno is really not for me :P

I loved the idea behind this, I bought the set (both Pruno and Privilege) within a couple of hours practically of them going up. I couldn't stop laughing about it, and I so wanted to wear it constantly so when people asked what I had on I could say "pruno!" and give the quick story about the lab and the concept.

Then the bottle came.

It smelled sour in the bottle to me but I know you have to test the oils on the skin. So I did.

Within five minutes it smells like I have had a hard night of swilling margharitas and eating hot dogs, and then sicking them back up. Pruno goes fruit-barf, which is always a danger with fruit notes on me, but over the top there is this greasy, dank, low-rent meat smell.

Lord how quick I scrubbed it off. :P

When I wear this, hmmm.....it smells good and does work on my skin. I kept thinking of The Hamptons but this is different.....seems to have more depth, and there's a little bit that could be the fizziness everyone's talking about. It could also be something a touch spicy, maybe? It's more than the candy orange, fruity sweetness of The Hamptons. Deeper, a little darker, and also more perfumey.....and I'm not sure what's making it more perfumey.

For some reason I was expecting something more like Sugar Skull but it's not like that scent. This is more fruity, tart, slightly sweet but really deep scent. I honestly can't decide if I would wear this, even though it smells good to me.

Decant received in an imp pack.

Imp: Tart and citrus.

Wet: Citrus. Mmm, smells yummy.

Drydown: Effervescent and citrusy. Kinda like a morning mimosa combined with a bit of a kick in the face. I like it enough to want to gnaw on my arm.

Dry: Fades quickly. If it had more lasting power, I would get a bottle.

In the bottle: Raisins. Interestingly enough, it reminds me a bit of prunes, too. The power of suggestion, from the name? A hint of orange.

Wet: pleasantly orange fizzies

Dry: orange crush with champagne? Very light and refreshing, hintings of oranges and white wine, and a faint green note, slightly astringent, still slightly making you think of something effervescent. Lovely summer scent, but only moderate lasting, two hours at most.

Edited by Jilara

Pruno is a nice crisp summer scent on me. Very bright oranges and apples (more orange) with a little cheap fizzy alcohol. This went on at first strong, but faded on me quickly. Didn't morph much if at all during the fade. I would love if this would last a little longer - similar to other posters.

Verdict - nice summer scent, probably with just stick with my imp though.

Imp: Vinegar and fruit. :P

Wet: Orange juice, occasional wafts of what could be Smarties candies. Effervescent!

Dry: It's much prettier than I thought it would be from the description and from my initial sniff of the vial. Overall very much like fizzy candy.

This scent was much nicer on me than I expected with some of the reviews... I also usually do not do well with the alcohol blends, but this one gave me no strong alcohol scent- maybe justt of fruity wine cooler

It is a fun, fruity, bubbly scent that is reminicent of Swank or The Hamptons. I get a very strong orange crush mixed with fresh tomato leaf which really combines quite nicely togehter. On drydown it gets more of an edge of 'fizziness' or tang to it which lends to the character of the scent.

This is a fresh, clean scent that has some perk to it!