Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thou art false, O moon, as the hearts of men. I will not, will not love again. Bulgarian rose, tea rose, violet leaf, opium poppy, Bois de Jasmin, patchouli leaf, honey, blue lilac, balsam, woodruff, and lemon peel.

Lovely, floaty, and light. I agree with all of the 'pale pink' descriptions above - it's a delicate, pink, misty scent. It smells like a garden on a summer night - the roses are dominant, but there are other flowers too, hovering just behind the roses.

I was worried at first that it might disappear on me - on the initial drydown, the scent got very very faint. But then, the longer I wear it, the more it comes back, with the other notes adding subtle complexity. Oooh, this one is pretty.

Lovers of roses, lovers of light florals, and those looking for a scent to wear on a hot summer night - Rose Moon is for you!

In the bottle: Roses, roses, and more roses. There's also an element in there that reminds me of the slightly sharp resinous quality in Parlement of Foules even though I do not exactly see a matching note that would cause that.

On my skin: Immediate amping of the opium poppy. This sort of takes it over for me, even though the roses are still hiding out there.

After a while: The scent stays true with the exception of the appearance of my jasmine curse. I love jasmine but NOT on my skin.

I'm on the fence about this one. It's gorgeous in its own right but on my skin it's a different story. I will probably retest this again in a week to see what I think of it then. :P

straight sniff from the bottle is roses...

and once applied is roses...

this is pretty much a single note rose scent for me and nothing more...*sigh*

First on: a bright, fresh rose scent. Very nice. Then it turns into rose and raspberry leaf tea (no, seriously). After that, rose and lemon balm tea (that'll be the lemon peel, I'm guessing, combined with the woodruff & so on....). Very green, cool, fresh, almost faintly aquatic/ozoney (I'm not sure where that's coming from, unless my nose is misreading some of the green). The rose has gone down to a background note; this is still lighter and more feminine than I usually wear, but I think I'll be keeping this imp for hot summer days. Who'd'a thunk it?

I am fond of BPAL's rose blends (especially The Peacock Queen & Parlement of Foules), so I was saying for months that the only way I'd pass on Rose Moon would be if it had opium poppy in it... and lo and behold, lol. I also love BPAL's blue lilac and patchouli leaf notes. Of course, my skin totally amps up the opium poppy.

Rose Moon is all sharp, harsh opium poppy with hints of soured roses in the background. I'm glad I trusted myself and just went for a decant of this'n.

Very rosey indeed, but not so much like Rose Red as I had hoped for. The opium poppy and the jasmine make Rose Moon very heady and quite sharp and almost, but not quite, headache inducing.

I'm really on the fence about Rose Moon. I will test again, but I have to say it is so heady with the additional florals that I'm not sure I will be able to deal with it.

I smell a little of Parlement of Foules in this, and a little bit of Hope, but it's a little more complex than that. Thank GOD the opium behaves itself. The first time I wore this, the rose tried to go sour and sharp on me like BPAL roses sometimes do, but every time I've worn it after, it has been nothing short of gorgeous. It's a very versatile scent: pretty and playful enough for daytime, but with a depth and complexity that makes it do-able for evening too. And of course, if you love rose, this one rocks.

I love it more and more each time I wear this. I can see it becoming a favorite later - when I'll have to go hunting down bottles, of course.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is almost a fruity rose, rounded out by the other floral notes in a complex and sweet way. On the dry down, the rose is really tempered for me by the blue iris and the woody/greener notes. The sweetness is still there, but it really becomes more of a heady, musky scent on me.

I read comparisons to Hope & Faith and my heart sunk because those smelled sickly sweet on me but luckily this is nothing like them. I can even see the comparison because this is definitely light and sweet but there are other notes to really ground this and keep it from being too sweet. It's light and airy and "moon-like" but it also takes on a perfumey quality. It's like a small garden in the moonlight on a warm night where all the fragrances blend together and create a gorgeous bouquet. The rose stands out but it is supported by a chorus of other notes. I LOVE Beth's roses and happily snatch them up even if they are very similar but this not a problem here. This is SO different! I'm so glad I got a bottle!! I even got a compliment this morning! :P

Rose moon is a keeper, pure and simple. It has become one of my favorites right up there with Milk Moon '07 and Rose Cross. Rose Moon is a scent all of its own. It is soft and delicate that warms well in a locket. This is one of the few scents that has diffused to the point that I have received compliments. Unlike Rose Cross, though, which I find to have a deeply sensual warmth, Rose Moon is more pure and fresh. The other notes in the fragrance seem to get lost, although occasionally you seem to get the gentle hint of lilac, but it is fleeting. The two different rose essences in this blend work well together giving you the lushness of a bouquet of roses without being over powering. A great scent! :P

This smells like fake plastic dollar store roses.

I had high hopes for it, even though I'm not a rose fan, becuase I thought with opium poppy, pachouli leaf, honey, etc. it might not be the straight up rose scent that I'm not a fan of. Basically, I was hoping for the fresh cut rose of Rose Red with a touch of spice... what I got, was single note Tea Rose... which smells to me like the fake plastic roses that you buy at the dollar store...

I'm wondering if it will "age" and the other notes will come out more??? (I don't understand which notes age and which dont)

Also... it has ridiculous staying power... I applied it LIGHTLY at about 6am and I still smell it STRONGLY all over me at 10:30 :P

I love the art and description for this one!

In the bottle: A light, almost powdery rose, with a more fully bloomed, juicy rose underneath.

Wet: It's more powdery at first, very light and innocent. It's almost fruity.

Drydown: I can definitely smell the violet coming out, and it works together beautifully. It's turned into a light, sweet duet of rose and violet. It makes me imagine a fancy garden in a fairytale castle's courtyard at twilight.

Dry: This dried rather quickly on me, maybe because my skin has been a bit on the dry side lately. Anyhow, U can smell the patchouli coming out ever so slightly, along with a faint bit of jasmine and a little hint of something spicier.

Overall I really like this one, but I'll have to wear it more to find out if it is worthy of true love or not! :P <3

wet, this is almost all tea rose on me, yet something about it is "starchy" in the background, which usually (on me) indicates something arboreal. as it dries down, it becomes more violet-y (wee) and starts to remind me of marie. something about this suggests honey, but it's a faint suggestion. dry, this is...lemon rose. rose lemon. hmm. i don't like citrus on my skin all that much; too sour. i am picky about rose scents in general but i was fascinated by the idea of rose, lilac and violet leaf all in the same place at the same time. unfortunately, the notes i normally don't like (and was hoping would behave in rose moon) popped up and shoved the beloved ones out of the way. however, i do love how rose moon smells upon application...maybe i'll use it for home scenting. overall, though, it's not as impressive as i'd hoped.

1247132715_MDMxP-Ti.jpg

Imp/Bottle: This is even better than I'd hoped for! There's rose, yes -- lovely, warm, luscious-but-fresh rose. But keeping this a true Lunacy, there's so much more as well: the slight woodiness, some green, a little tart note, and the sweet smoothness of honey. The description claims lemon, but luckily for me it doesn't show up (lemon is usually my bane in BPAL blends).

First Applied: Oh, just as lovely on as in the bottle! I am more happy than ever I bought 2 bottles -- in fact, I think I should hunt down another bottle or 2, because I love most all Beth's Lunacies, this being no exception. The notes all blend together in a lovely light smoothness which speaks to me of warm summer nights of moonlight and love.

Dry Down: The rose lasts longer than the other notes, which is fine with me since I am a rose fanatic. This moon blend is something special, and I love how it works with my chemistry.

Final Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

The roses dance above darker notes, and make the blend airy in the imp. Once on my skin, it's a lot of roses, and nothing else. Yep. Just a big bundle of roses. Wait, there's the opium poppy springing up to say hi. As it fades it gets more complex. An interesting blend that I wish lasted a little longer, and was a little darker.

Rose Moon - This is one of the prettiest rose blends I’ve ever encountered. It’s predominantly tea rose on my skin, which is bolstered by the dry, woody scent of leaves. While I don’t smell the jasmine distinctly (which is odd because my skin usually amps jasmine), there’s a kind of jasmine undercurrent to the blend. It’s hard to explain – the jasmine is there, but it’s not. The honey is only the slightest bit evident, and for another note that often dislikes me, it’s behaving itself quite well in this blend, adding a soft, powder-like sweetness to the blend. I don’t detect the lilac at all and the lemon peel I can only smell upon drydown when I sniff my skin up close. The lemon doesn’t smell like Pledge – it’s more like a tiny drop of sweet, summer lemonade had been added to the mix. This is such an incredibly gorgeous scent. To bad it fades completely within 10 minutes. I guess this is one for the scent locket – it’s just way too pretty not to figure out a way to wear it!

Oh I LOVE this! I'm so happy I bought a bottle!

To me, on me, it is the quintessential summer rose.

Big, heavy pink roses blooming in a garden with other flowers nearby.

Scenting the warm summer breeze.

Lemon zest cookies on the table in the garden.

Bees buzzing happily.

Sunshine flitting through the leaves.

A light summer dress, bare feet in the shaded grass.

Beautiful :P

And I don't like all of the Lab rose blends, I am actually quite picky, and I felt that I took a chance on this one. So I am really happy.

eta. Some more impressions: I also have to disagree that this smells like Hope. I had kind of hoped (lol) that it would, but it definately doesn't have that powdered sugar smell at all. I still love it, but alas, both my sister and my mother think that it smells like rose soap ... They still like it alot too, so I guess it is nice rose soap. There is complexity there, but the rose scent is very reminiscent of quality rose products like Crabtree & Evelyn...

Edited by Browneyes

Oh I LOVE this! I'm so happy I bought a bottle!

May I chime in and say that: YES, this is such a beautiful blend. I've been swooning all day long... :D

At first I thought it would be way too cold and distanced, but after a while something warm and sweet was wafting up from my skin. The rose was most prominent during the wet, cool phase, while later on I think I smelled the lilac and violet leaf mostly. It was sweeter and more refined than just that, though. A bit woody and almost resiny, but still mostly floral in a very elegant and feminine way.

While I really liked the scent, I was so busy at work today that I didn't pay attention to it all of the time. But when after a meeting in a colleague's room that took about an hour I returned to my own office, I could smell the scent lingering in the air there. A fresh and clean, yet warm and fluffy, ever so slightly woodsy/powdery floral. Sooo nice. If I wasn't so damn broke I'd probably try to hunt down multiple bottles, but as it is, I'm happy to have ONE to call my own.

The honey in here is absolutely lovely, too. Not overpowering or sticky sweet at all, just a hint. I'm in love! :P

Edited by blu°

Rose Moon

In the bottle: a rich, mature, fruity rose with honey. Like Lady Luck Blues' older sister.

Wet on skin: a mature rose scent, grown up, almost traditional, but with something woodsy at the back.

Dry on skin: beautiful roses with a patchouli base. The honey and Bulgarian rose give the scent a similar feel to Lady Luck Blues, only this isn't as sweet. I smell the dry crispness of tea rose accentuated with a citrus bite of lemon, and a hint of lilac pops up here and there, and I think I can just about make out a haze of opium. But it's mainly rose that rules the scent, and it's so good to have such a wonderfully rosy scent.

After a while: the rose becomes fuller and richer and there's even a hint of something sweet and almost like fizzy lemon sweets behind it. This isn't a dusty, musty rose at all, but a youthful, sparkling one. I think I smell a hint of jasmine, but it's not the nasty jasmine that my skin hates, but a woodsy one. The patchouli is almost reminiscent of the one in Croquet, a soft and earthy scent. I don't smell as much of the honey or lilac now, just the bright and delightful rose with that woody background. there's a hint of something sweet which reminds me of the tonka in Bitter Moon, and I wonder if this could be the woodruff? I've not smelt that before but I learned that apparently it has a similar scent to tonka so that may be what this is.

I get a hint of violet after a while, but it's not the traditional violet scent. There's also an almost berry like feel to the smoky rose, like the blackberry-rose-opium of Bitter Moon, but with much more rose and much less berry. The blend now feels rich and sumptuous, and brings to mind red velvet.

Verdict: I've been looking forward to Beth making a new rosy scent which was very much dominated by the rose-I adore the complex rose scents but I wanted something truly rosy, with just a hint of something to back it up. and this fits the bill perfectly! Rose Moon seems like the more grown up, more regal version of Lady Luck Blues, with that same honeyed rose combination, a tonka-fruity base, only this scent is a tad rosier. Not a sharp rose like Peacock Queen, nor a cold one like Rose Moon, this isn't sugary like Hope or as giddy as Two Five and Seven. This is a warm summer rose, velvety petals, richly fragrant, surrounded by a lovely supporting cast of notes like lemon and honey adding a sunny touch, patchouli grounding the rose, soft dreamy opium and a sweet, mysterious note which makes me think of berries and tonka. (The tonka may be woodruff.) This is beautiful and elegant, but also approachable, not a 'granny/old fashioned' rose scent at all, with a bright crispness contrasted by a soft, sweetish-earthy depth. I love this interpretation of rose and I'll need to look for another bottle!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! Another one to add to my collection of rosy beauties. I'll need to ask a will-caller to get another bottle…

If you like this, try: Moon Rose, Hope, London, Croquet, Two Five and Seven, Bitter Moon, Knave of Hearts, Lady Luck Blues

Lovely in the bottle...but on me, it's pretty much all rose, with a hint of soapiness behind it. Oh, well....

bottle: sweet rose, not sugared rose, but sweet.

wet: the honey is more than just the unidentifiable sweet behind the rose, now, and I can barely discern the patchouli behind. and the woodruff - I get the image of it sprinkled on weissbier..I hate weissbier (not that this smells like beer, but I got that image, suddenly).

dry: the brightness of the lemon hinted here and there, and I assume it's the poppy that's got that cloying-floral effect behind it all.

later: Oh yes, o moon, thou art false. and thou art amping the white flowers like a sonofabitch. woe!

I love roses and was really looking forward to Rose Moon. It didn't disappoint although I was initially wary of some of the notes. This one has been hard to review for me because I'm not familiar with all the notes.

Rose Moon starts out Bulgarian rose with something darker, earthy, and a bit woody - definately patchouli leaf and bois du jasmine and I'm not sure what else. As Rose Moon dries, it lightens to tea rose with a dusting of honey and a hint of lemon peel.

I really wanted to love this as rose is my all-time favourite note, but the earthy/woodsy notes are too much for me, alas!

Edited by TheIceMaiden

i get a powdery rose from this. i think i am mostly picking up the bulgarian rose, violet leaf and lemon peel. i do sense a touch of honey which softens it a bit, along with the balsam. very pure and sweet. i like rose scents, so this works for me quite well.

Oh, this is just perfect- I'm so happy with Rose Moon! This is one of my big winners this year. On me this is just the perfect rose scent- all I can smell is roses, the fresh blooms. Pink roses, definitely. It's not too faint, not too strong, a perfect floral while still being delicate. I love Rose Moon, and I adore wearing it.