Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree

spiritofthekomachicherrytree.gif

Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree, Yoshitoshi.

Cherry blossom, blue lilac, lavender monofloral honey, white sandalwood, and Asian pear.

in the bottle: lilacs,and pear, a hint of cherry blossom.

wet: blue lilac is the most prominent note for me. people who love that note take notice, this scent rocks it!

this is soft, light, and sweet. floral lovers i imagine will swoon w/ the beauty of this scent the lilac and cherry blossom do a dance of such beauty it is like watching a passionate tango the pear is like a juicy sweat on the flowers. adding to the sultry dance. just a gorgeous, gorgeous interpretation of this work of art.

Wow, for someone who doesn't normally do well with florals, I could drench myself in this!

Wet, this is Cherry Blossom in a big way! It's such a contrast, because my other hand has "Foxfires...at Oji" and there might as well be no cherry or lilac in that one. Here, I'm getting both, but the cherry blossoms are dominant, which is appropriate, since this is a cherry tree scent.

Drying down, it becomes intensely womanly, as the honey and sandalwood blend with the florals.

The dry version is so feminine! But not feminine in a soft or weak way, but just...wow. If ever a scent was pure Essence of Geisha in a bottle, this is it! It's still intensely cherry blossoms as the dominant note, but there is a soft fruitiness from the pear, a mellowness from the lilac, and a sweetness from the lavender honey and sandalwood that just knocks your tabi off! This has got to be one of the best florals that I've ever tried! There is definitely a bottle of this in my future!

Wet: this is cherry blossom, lilac, and with a little bit of pear.

Dry: the sandalwood comes out with the cherry blossom and lilac. It's sweetish, but not as sweet as it was wet. This is a gorgeous, feminine scent.

Sniffing from the imp and in the first couple of seconds on the skin, there's something really off-putting about this scent to me. I have no idea what it is...but luckily it is gone in the blink of an eye. After just a few seconds, that odd bite of a scent is gone (I tried this a couple of times, because, literally, it changes immediately after going onto my skin), and a sweet, floral powderiness comes out. Powdery is the last thing I think of when I think of Asian-inspired scents - but that might be why I like this scent more than I usually like Asian scents. They generally have a crispness to them that just doesn't work with my chemistry.

This scent, on the other hand is all soft edges - as feminine and delicate as the image. If a scent can be diaphanous, this is the scent. It's a lovely balance of the softest pear, the gentlest sandalwood and the wispiest florals. Very approachably elegant. I absolutely love this one.

This is a lovely floral. The pear and lilac seem to be the predominent notes that come forward after drying down. I'm really enjoying this scent, and will probably be getting a bottle of it next order. :P

I put this on and liked it, but I thought it smelled so much like another BPAL scent that there was no point in purchasing another.

But I couldn't put my nose on which scent it was.

I think Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree is 60% Les Bijoux (pear and honey) and 40% Cupid Complaining to Venus (Sandalwood, Honey, general fruitiness).

If you like either of those two scents, you should love Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree...unless they are too similar for you.

It's a pretty, sweet, fruity floral. I like it a lot.

When I first put this on it is the most delicate floral without being astringent or bothersome in any way like some “delicate” florals go on me.

A tiny bit of pear slips in to sweeten up the delicate floral. I know someone above described this as diaphanous and I have to agree. It is a skin scent and very delicate yet there is something very comforting and feminine about this spirit.

I had such hopes for this one since I love the painting and while it doesn’t wow me exactly I am certainly not disappointed in any way. Very nice!

Rating: 4/5

Edited by Lunaratu

Wet: sweet flowers

On skin: cherry right away, then a nice jumble of soft florals

Half-hour later: still lots of breathy airy flowers, nothing is dominating

In conclusion: this ends up a tad dusty on me, which I think is the lavender and white sandalwood. This makes it interesting instead of just another twee floral. Pretty!

On me, Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree is quite powdery and long-lasting. It gives me thoughts of bygone eras. I don't smell cherry or cherry blossom, but I can't put my finger on which florals I detect.

I remember looking at the notes for this and thinking...."lavender monofloral honey?!" and screaming with delight. Honey and lavender are uniquely beautiful together (c.f. The Oblation) and the idea of a honey note buzzed out of lavender really piqued my interest. I forgot all of that when I was sniffing imps of course and my only note on this blend after first sniff was "lilac/apple blossom?" because of the strong scent of powder.

It is, in fact, the lilac that is strongest here. In nature it's my favorite flower to sniff in the spring, but in oil form it is a little too powdery most of the time. Cherry blossom might also be contributing to that. It becomes almost unbearably powdery after a short while, but it settles down as honey and sandalwood join forces to rein it in and provide a sort of dry stability (sandalwood) and enduring sweetness (honey). I am apparently blind to pear because I don't smell it in this blend and I don't seem to ever smell it in any blend where it is present.

Overall though it is a bit too much on the powder scale...but when it dries down a good bit it really does remind me of the fresh lilac that I love so much.

Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree - My skin is looooving the cherry blossom in this blend. On my skin, from beginning to end, it's almost entirely like single note cherry blossom, and it's the best damn cherry blossom scent I've ever encountered. I don't smell the blue lilac, which surprises me because my skin usually amps lilac so much you can smell me on the other end of town. Likewise, I don't detect the pear at all, although there is a non-floral sweetness to the blend that may be from the pear...no, actually, I think it's the honey. Upon drydown, I think I can smell sandalwood, but really, that could just be because I know it's in there and therefore I think I can detect it, since I can't really pin it down. Overall, it's all cherry blossom, and I love love LOVE it. I mean, I really love it. Did I mention how much I L-O-V-E it? The throw is absolutely perfect and it's got above average staying power. I'm very, very happy with this one. Definitely bottle-worthy.

Edited by edenssixthday

This is drop dead GORGEOUS. When wet it is mainly pear, cherry blossom and lilac. A touch powdery but not tipping over the edge. As it dries, the other notes, particularly the lavendar come out and really add a lot of depth to the blend. I don't really know how else to explain this one since it is so unique and complex- it's soft and feminine but with an underlying herbal tone due to the lavendar. Very silky...It reminds mea bit in feel of Blue Moon 07. I really like this one b/c it is an unusual feminine blend, and one that I will wear a lot this summer :P

I haven't had good luck with many of BPAL's sort of Asian themed blends, but I was hopeful for this one. I love their Blue Lilac single note and my skin generally plays very well with cherry blossom, white sandalwood, and pear. I have a hard time with honey, but I even loved the honey & lavender combo in The Oblation. I had high highs for Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree and it really doesn't disappoint. :D

On my skin, the beautiful cherry blossom and lilac are at the forefront. The lab's cherry blossom smells so sweet and cheery on my skin, like honeyed flower pollen and sunshine. The blue lilac is just like falling into a bunch of sweet lilac bushes. Together this is a floral that I can actually wear - sweet, sunny, happy. I actually cannot pick out any of the pear in this blend, but I get a touch of the powdery sandalwood after an hour or so. I also can pick out hints of a sweet lavender every once in a while.

This is such a lovely blend to me. I'm generally a floral-hater, but the florals here are sweet and summery and not at all perfumey. I definitely want a full bottle of this one, and I'll need a bottle for my mum as well, since she loves lilac so much. :P

In the imp: Soapy floral

On Skin: Cherry blossom, soft fragrant white flowers with a tinge of soapyness.

On Drydown: Sweet white florals (the sweetness is definitely the honey peaking through)

Verdict: This is very Asian indeed! It's a soft, feminine, comforting sort of white floral. I think it might be a tinge too sweet for me. This has to be my second favorite Asian inspired Salon (first being the Lantern Ghost of Oiwa)

Wet, this is amazing. I get juicy cherry blossoms and a touch of soft pear.

Dry, this changes very quickly. Cherry blossoms still dominate this blend, but I also detect the lavender monofloral honey, and then a few minutes later I detect a touch of that dry sandalwood bite.

The cherry blossom in this reminds me of Portland's cherry blossom season. They just burst forth all at once and you can walk on the waterfront surrounded by soft pink trees. It's surreal. There are so many that the spent blossoms constantly fall down like a slow, lazy rain. This blend reminds me of all of that.

In the imp: sweet blushing cherry blossom, almost sugared.

Wet on skin: a soft lavender note comes out to mingle with the sugary cherry blossom.

Dry on skin: now I smell a bit of the honey too. This is unbelievably gorgeous! The cherry blossom is the star of the scent, and it smells fluffy and pink and sweet and innocent. The pear sweetens it up with it's almost syrupy fruity scent, whilst the slightly bitter scent of lilac joins the cherry blossom. I smell lavender honey, but this honey is so gentle and sweet, not a sharp honey, this is like the honey note in Itaso Kansei, or Al Araaf, or even Dana O'Shee. This is almost like Al Araaf turned Japanese, I think.

After a while: there's a moment when I think 'oh no, the lilac is turning soapy!' but then that quickly fades. Now this really does smell like Al Araaf, but with a definite emphasis on cherry blossom. I wonder if there's CB in Al Araaf? It's almost marshmallow sweet, fluffy and pink but very graceful, not childish. The lilac in this scent is very well behaved now. The sandalwood adds a nice grounded base to it all. This is like Kyoto with honey replacing the anise note I wasn't crazy about in that scent. The scent eventually settles into the loveliest honeyed cherry blossom scent ever. The honey becomes much stronger at drydown and develops a slight tang that I get in other honey scents.

Verdict: I never thought I loved cherry blossom so much until I tried at least three more recent scents that had this as a main component, and loved them. This is a beautiful scent which highlights cherry blossom in the best way possible, boosting it's gentle, delicate sweet pinkness with supporting notes of lavender honey (a true delight of a honey note) juicy pear and sandalwood, and a hint of lilac. It is a soft, fluffy, sugary and very pink scent but not blatantly sugared. The lilac in here is so nice-not wilted smelling at all. What surprised me was the way it reminded me so much of Al Araaf-it's the combination of a light honey note with dainty blossoms. I love Al Araaf so now I know what to get when I run out. The scent is very graceful, youthful and feminine, but not your usual girly scent. This makes me feel young and cheerful and is such a springtime scent, and fits the painting perfectly. I will definitely get a bottle some day, but since it smells like springtime, I think I'll wait until April to get more of this.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! I might get a bottle for spring.

If you like this, try: Itaso Kansei, Al Araaf, Kyoto, Lantern Ghost of Oiwa, Neo Tokyo

This smelled of tea liberally mixed with some sort of fruity syrup - a sweet and deep scent that was nearly cloying. Very unusual, and I think I'll have to try this three or four times to really get a handle on whether I like it or not.

In the bottle – The cherry blossom and the honey

Wet on me – Sweet rich honey with powered florals

Dry on me – Sweet, dry, powdery blossoms

Overall – I was surprised by how much I liked the initial stages, but in the end it seems to become a little flat

HOMG. I was trying to place what Komachi Cherry Tree smells like dry, and it HIT ME LIKE A SEMICOLON -- on me, this smells EXACTLY like Bath & Bodyworks' Japanese Cherry Blossom lotion. Holy mackerel.

In the imp and wet, it smells like supersweet cherries balanced with some florals, but dry -- yeah, Japanese Cherry Blossom. Pretty!

In the imp:

Commercial perfume. (Sorry!)

Wet:

A very soft floral, along with something that smells a little powdery.

Dry:

This actually becomes less powdery on the drydown. It's mostly lilacs on me, I think, but it's very soft and pretty.

Pear!! and lovely florals, one of the best floral blends ever. I don't know what the heck lavender monofloral honey is but i want to be drenched in it :P oh it's sweet, but only slightly sweet (not foody at all or sugary) and the florals are heavenly. I don't smell the cherry blossom like i do in other cherry blossom scents - the other florals (especially lilac) are far in the forefront.

imp: honey and lilacs and something extra-super-syrupy sweet (probably the pear).

wet: super sweet, lilacs with honeyed fruit.

dry: once dry this smells just like the scent on lilacs being carried on the wind. it it truly the scent of spring.

In the bottle – it smells kind of like Kyoto, with more of a bite to it.

Wet – lots of cherry blossoms! I can smell the fruit of the pear and I think the lavender is sitting there in the background.

Dry – this is heaven! it's a powdery soft scent and the sandlewood comes out to blend wonderfully with the florals.

Overall – I swear my mother had a perfume that smelled exactly like this when I was a kid, this will definately become part of my favorites collection!

In the Bottle:

Cherry Blossoms.

This smells like a stronger version of Kyoto basically.

I think I smell Lychee too - hmm.

On my Skin, Wet:

Pear! OMG Pear!

Sweet, juicy luscious pear - :P

I also am starting to get what seems to be the same 'wood' note of Peony Moon. (which I adore!)

I can still smell the cherry blossoms, but they are in the background.

On my Skin, Dry:

Pear is still the dominant note.

There is still that 'wood' note that I love in Peony Moon appearing once in a while,

and the cherry blossoms are still there too, waving at me occassionally.

Verdict:

If you take pear SN, Peony Moon, and Kyoto and wear them all at once, you would be wearing Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree.

I love pears, Peony Moon (my favorite moon ever), and cherry blossoms.

10 of 10 Rating! :D