Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sd357

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

Beckons all giant creatures from gargantuan reptiles and humongous moths! These babies are sure to crush everything from dollhouses to shopping malls! Can even be used to summon colossal robots in a pinch! A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

Wow.

Oh, wow.

I guess I ought to actually post a review.

But I'm still sitting here going... Wow.

In the bottle: Crisp, minty, with a warm hint of vanilla.

Wet: Exactly the same. My first reaction was that I now understood why the vanilla mints are so popular. But I expected it to turn on me...

Dry-down: The mint blends with the vanilla, smoothing together...

Dry: It's still minty vanilla! Wow...

I'm off to order a backup bottle. Or three. Because vanillas don't usually work on me, as much as I love 'em, and I don't usually like smelling like mints. But this is marvelous... Edited by Shollin

Vanilla mint! Perfectly so. This one is sweeter than Snowblind, I think.

It's crisp and refreshing, but tantalizingly smooth at the same time.

I'm not usually a fan of mint, but this scent has a lot going for it. I like it.

In the bottle:

Mmm what else? Vanilla mint!

On me:

Vanilla mint is possibly one of my favorite combinations ever and I like to wear vanilla mint scents year round. I had missed on Snowblind but I was not about to miss out on this one. And I'm so glad I didn't.

This vanilla mint is perfect - it's not too sharp (for those who don't care for the sharpness of a mint scent like Lick It) and it's not too smooth (the sweetness is subtle and creamy). It's the perfect vanilla mint. I must go find more bottles now.

Final note:

What else can I say? I adore it!

Want to use my banner for it? Feel free!

tokyostompbanner.jpg

I just thought I would weigh in here--got my bottle today, and I really like it. It's not as strong of a peppermint as some. Not enough to make your arm burn, and it doesn't reek like you've just chewed gum. I get a soft musky vanilla under it.

Two hours later it's dried straight to pure tonka.

ADDED March 11:

I really love this scent, it is slightly minty with a lot of tonka and vanilla to round it out. The mint sticks around for a while, too.

In the bottle, this smells just like a candy cane. Mmm, sweet peppermint! Drying, it loses some of the sweetness, and the vanilla isn't out quite yet. Hmm.

Dry, it was almost entirely a grassy, herbal smell, with only the merest dry whiff of mint. The vanilla never appeared, wet or dry.

While I love peppermint, BPAL's peppermint blends do not love me.

Edited by harmonyfb

Smooth Vanilla Mint as Godzilla. :P

Doesn't make sense to me but in the most whimsical way.

It certainly kicks Lick It's candy cane butt.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Hello Minty McMintington! Mint squared. Vanilla mintacular. Mint-o-rama.

I'm not sure if Beth has a new source for mint lately or what but whatever the case the mint here is perfect. It is like a mintier version of Snowblind - and Snowblind is pretty darn good on it's own. This is both soothing and refreshing. The vanilla isn't so heavy like in the afore mentioned Snowblind - it just sort of wraps around you and snuggles down.

I need like 14 more bottles of this.

I theenk I need a beeger bottle [/chihauhua] :P

Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Which I now have a craving for.

This a warm, smooth mint compared to Lick It Again which is a cold, sharp mint.

It's drying down to a warm, comforting vanilla.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I am hit-or-miss with mint scents. Tulzscha was all right, Lick It remains in my top 5, Lick It Again was not the same and Snowblind was a let-down of plastic. But I was also attracted to the giant Japanese monster idea.

In the Bottle: My first impression is of all things, mint chocolate chips! I think the vanilla is translating into ice cream and my mind is supplying the missing chips.

Wet: At first it's very dessert-like, then the mint comes blasting out, sweet and sharp. The vanilla makes it markedly different from Lick It, which is more sugary-sweet. And definitely warmer...I am not getting even a hint of the chilled skin that Lick It provides. It skirts the edge of minty chewing gum.

Drydown: The mint grows less powerful but is still the dominant note for me. It's still quite sharp, and not as pleasing...as if the vanilla has taken a back seat. I'm not quite sure if I like it like this. ETA: Oddly enough, this slowly chills on my skin in a reverse of Lick It.

Verdict: More testing. I literally can't make up my mind on this one.

Edited by puck_nc

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

In Bottle: Mmm, minty and nice. Definitely a hint of vanilla creaminess, not as much as Snowblind but more so than either of the Lick It versions.

Wet: A very bright peppermint, almost with a hint of something spicy beneath. Just a hint.

Dry: The creaminess comes out as time goes on. This is a very light peppermint, very appealing to a foodie. I think it won't replace Snowblind for me as I'm hugely a foodie and that's even more vanilla-ish to me, but it's a great scent.

Overall: I like!

Oh, wow. :D *huffs arm* Tokyo Stomp is like the delicious offspring of mint chocolate chip ice cream and the minty interior of a Peppermint Patty. It is lovely sweet minty goodness, and I will definitely need at least one more bottle. :P

Oh boy. I dunno what it is with me. There's something in here that's not vanilla or mint. This is SO not Snowblind, which I'm actually almost happy about because I've spent so much $ and time to get Snowblind, which is still the perfect vanilla mint. I digress....

In the bottle, there's a whiff of yummy mint but also something strong lurking in it that threatens to rear its head and bite my chemistry.

And sure enough, on my skin within minutes there is no vanilla or mint. They've become overpowered by (quoting Pru) is it Tonka? I have no idea what it is but TS smells to me dead-on like the primary dry-down scent of Enraged Groundhog Musk or Knave of Hearts. It's a burnt caramel strong musk scent and my skin hates burnt and musk.

So this one didn't work on me at all. The alcohol on my hand smells better. However, if you like Knave and EGM, you'll probably like TS, if I don't have psycho skin.

I've tried MANY vanillas and mints and it appears there is more than just vanilla and mint in this. I thought maybe I got an accident bottle...so I sniffed the other bottle I ordered (yes, two, I had such high hopes). But they both smell the same.

in the bottle: peppermint. actually smells like a york peppermint patty.

wet: yup york peppermint patty. since everyone is comparing i shall also. lickit was a sweet candy cane, snowblind was a buttermint, soft vanilla hint of peppermint. and t.s. is the smooth creamy inside of a york peppermint patty, absulotely delicious, and stays true through every stage.

after a long dry down, of a couple hours, it becomes and uber soft vanilla, the mint burns off, and the vanilla is soft, sweet, innocent smelling, and totally up my alley

Edited by shelldoo

Okay, the growly Godzilla on the bottle is killing me, hee. And the idea of colossal robots will always make me smile. But once that bottle's open, OH MY GOD. Mint, yum, vanilla, wow.

On initial application, my first thought was: Holy hell, I smell like a THIN MINT.

So, yeah, I can see the comparisons to a York Peppermint Patty, too, or even Junior Mints, but that's where my mind is. The mint in this is less like a sugary pure blast of peppermint than Lick It. I'm thinking that the vanilla might have something to do with making it cookie-like. As it dries, the vanilla (which I totally recognize from the Vanilla Bean SN, but stronger, thank god, because that faded completely on me within five minutes), comes out more and more, but then the mint makes a comeback, and it dries as a wonderfully smooth blend of the two. If this is what Snowblind is like, no wonder people who've tried it are after more of it all the time.

Good throw off a single dab. Once it's dried completely, the vanilla has come out on top, but I have no problem with that! Especially since it hasn't killed the mint, just taken it down. ::dances:: And because it's not that hit of candy-cane, this is actually something I can picture wear year-round.

In the bottle: Creamy, minty, vanilla and strangely a cocoa undertone.. it smells just like Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Dead on.

On the skin: The very same as it is in the bottle. This is simply the most amazing scent I have ever smelled. New favorite. I need another bottle of this. I need a gallon of this. Oh god.

On drydown: The mint flourishes, the cocoa/chocolate chip scent I was getting is gone but it is simply the most creamy vanilla mint scent ever. I am in complete love with this. MB:TS+Dawna = OTP

I love peppermint and vanilla so Tokyo Stomp was a must for me. This is a yummy scent!! It starts off peppermint, then the vanilla joins in. As it dries down, the peppermint recedes into the background and the creamy vanilla takes over. Tokyo Stomp is less minty and sugary than Lick It (Again) and not as cold or crisp. I can't compare this to Snowblind as I haven't tried it (and don't feel the need to anymore either as Tokyo Stomp is as perfect a vanilla mint as I'd want!) I really like love this and look forward to wearing it during the warmer months ahead.

I LOVE this! It reminds me of peppermint bark - all those yummy peppermint peices fused with white chocolate and vanilla fudge. So, so delicious. I'm not a foody person, but it is so gorgeous that I love it for what it is.

I completely get the mint chocolate chip or Peppermint Patty comparison - I get some kind of ghost-chocolate thing with this, too! But it is extremely yummy and refreshing. For me, it's not as smooth and creamy as Lick It Again gets - it's almost rougher, if that makes sense. Definitely crisp, refreshing, peppermint vanilla. :P

I completely agree with the Peppermint Patty comparison...it's the first thing I though of. A nice crisp mint with some vanilla...and oddly a sense of something a bit chocolate-y in the background. Yummy!! I think this will be great during those long hot days this summer.

If I didn't really love the title "Tokyo Stomp" (I mean, how cool is that), I would rename this Monster Bait: Mint Girl Scout Cookie.

Because that's exactly what it smells like to me.

This is one blend that generally stays pretty true from in the bottle, on the skin, and drying. It's a nice, crisp mint (it amost smells crunchy, if that makes any sense). It's not overwhelmingly peppermint, like Lick It Again, or any specific type of mint: it's just generic, wonderful mint.

The vanilla for me isn't a straight-out vanilla note: instead, it's just adds this sort of creaminess to the mint, like the coating of a mint Girl Scout cookie. :P Together, the vanilla and mint are light, smooth, and wonderful. This is the perfect vanilla mint for me: it's what I was hoping Lick It Again would smell like, and what I've dreamed that Snowblind would smell like (having tried the former but not the latter).

After some dry-down it becomes much more subtle, but still crisp and creamy.

My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to last long on me, but that's okay. I've decanted myself an imp to carry around with me and reapply.

If you've ever wanted a great vanilla mint, this could be your Holy Grail. I've already ordered a second bottle, and I might have to pick up another. It's really a superb blend.

All praise and thanks to the Lab.

Bottle: Mint grounded in a gourmand base, yes, it smells like Thin Mints to me as well.

Skin: The mint comes to the fore after application, but this is nowhere near as minty as Lick It, to my nose. I'm not really getting the "crisp" evocation.

Drydown: Like Bloody Mary, this wears very close and soft on me. It dries down sweet, but I get a kind of plastic-y undertone, like I'm smelling a toy which has been scented with vanilla. I'm hoping with some aging that quality will disappear.

In bottle: vanilla ice cream

On skin: tingly mint, very sparkly like Lick It

Half-hour later: this sweetens up nicely with the vanilla, nothing plasticky or fake (which some vanillas become on me)

In conclusion: Tokyo Stomp ends as a nice creamy mint, reminiscent of Snow White and Snow-Flakes. It has a shorter duration, maybe 3 hours, and of course I want it to last longer. Worth slathering and enjoying!

This review is coming from someone who does not like minty scents for anything besides calming nausea. With the exception of Lick It (for brief holiday or nausea relief purposes) I have swapped away every mint scent I've run across.

But WOW. Tokyo Stomp is amazing. It's a subdued mint due to the vanilla and it's sweet and soft on my skin. This stays true on my skin for as long as it's detectable. The vanilla didn't sour and the mint didn't amp. The two mingle perfectly and stay that way.

I am definitely keeping this bottle!

In the bottle and freshly applied I definitely get the chocolate mint chip ice cream and thin mint cookie comparisons - I also get a mental picture of Godzilla in a girl scout uniform. On the dry down the mint fades and the scent becomes very similar to Drink Me on my skin, but not nearly as heavy and in your face foody.

I like it! It's not something that I would wear on a regular basis, but it'll be nice to have around for those days when I'm craving something totally different from my usual earthy florals.