Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sd357

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp

Beckons all giant creatures from gargantuan reptiles and humongous moths! These babies are sure to crush everything from dollhouses to shopping malls! Can even be used to summon colossal robots in a pinch! A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

This is absolutely gorgeous. In the bottle, it's very warm and foody, and I also get the hint of chocolate on first sniff, before the mint gradually moves forward and dominates. It smells delicious! (Not that I would eat it. Aside from the health risks, that would be a terrible waste of BPAL. My stomach has no nose. :D )
When I put it on, though, it starts to smell a bit like anise, and then goes plasticy. :P But I love it so much I won't swap it off - I'll wear it in my hair, or wait til I get a scent locket, and content myself with sniffing the bottle periodically. Mmmm.
On my skin, it had very little throw, thank god. But I kept the toothpick I used to apply with on my desk and got wafts of scent off it. The vanilla was more apparent there than in the bottle, although it might have just lasted better.

Edited to add lab description. :D

Edited again, Nov 26 2007, to say that I retried this and the plastic is aging out of it. It's still not totally gone but hopefully by winter it will be! Edited by dzurlady

Did I get a defective bottle? Or maybe I have a defective body?

I don't get ANY mint in this at all --and that was my primary reason for ordering this, since I'm on the prowl for the perfect mint.

In the bottle, it's an overwhelming buttery vanilla; the smell lingers in my room for several hours just opening the bottle up for a sniff. A teeny, tiny dab on one lone wrist amps up to buttery death; it's like swimming through a pool of frothed butter and eggs.

There is the slimmest, teeniest, faintest hint of coolness that I fervently hope is the mint and not just the draft that occasionally wafts through my room, but it's just a hint of coolness and not really minty freshness at all.

I'm going to keep trying this --maybe age will help, maybe a different time of month will help-- in hope that it settles. Otherwise, I might well have to swap or sell this, which sucks as I was looking forward to this scent above all others in my past two orders.

Just got my order and promptly bathed in it. (Limited sympathy to my co-workers; this stuff smells GOOD!)

In the bottle: It smells like Thin Mints, with a sweeter edge. Probably the vanilla. :P

Wet: Still that Thin Mints vibe, but now it's a rounder, sweeter minty-cookie scent. :D

Drydown: This is such a perfect summer scent - it's sweet, it's cool and refreshing, and while it has really good staying power and a medium-to-strong throw (it's been about 3 hours now since application), it isn't an overpowering or cloying vanilla scent, as some can be. Wearing this makes me want to go to the mall and find that Perfect Summer Dress, then go play at the beach. The vanilla keeps the mint from being too sharp, and the mint keeps the vanilla from being too much (or too food-y, as some scents become on me, especially the previous run of MBs :D ). It's like being surrounded by a sweet, pleasant cloud of Delicious.

I have to say that the vanilla is mostly the topnote in this, because the mint isn't a sharp spearmint as much as it is more like peppermint candy. A++ on this one - I'll be wearing it all summer long!

This smells delicious in the bottle. On my skin, it's a mixed bag. It smells great for the first 10 minutes or so, then I get whiffs of something that sort of reminds me of cigarette smoke. Then the smoky scent goes away and it's just vanilla and mint, but the vanilla is sort of plasticky. I'm thinking vanilla just doesn't work on me much of the time. I am surprised that the mint part lasts so long.

All in all, it's similar to Green Tree Viper, but GTV works better on me. I'm definitely going to try Tokyo Stomp as a room scent, though.

pure mint and vanilla, with hints of coconut, chocolate and root beer. mintier and less buttery than snowblind. haven’t tried lick it yet, so i can’t draw a comparison there. very sweet, like mint chewing gum. breathing it in seems to clear my sinuses. i’m saving this one for the hottest summer days. lovely.

I'm always slightly worried about vanilla, because some vanillas go to Play Doh on me. But I had to try anything that even made vague reference to giant moths (MOTHRA! :P )

In the bottle, this smells of Murray Mints. On me, this smells of butter until the butter smell gives way to the smell of Play doh. Off to swaps!

Ooooh it is just like thin mints!! It smells amazing! For the first 20 minutes or so this is fantastic on me but then the mint goes away and all I get is a weird musky note. Is there sandalwood in this? Dammit! This is too pretty to swap away. I'll have to try it in my scent locket.

In the bottle this is LOVELY - a sweet, buttery Thin Mint, no question about it. The butter is a bit heavy but I huff anyway.

On me it starts out the same, but sweetens up nearly immediately; it's all sugar and cookie and DELICIOUS.

And then it dries into this odd, SHARP, very metallic mint. If I really try I can detect the vanilla lurking under there... I didn't love the wet scent enough to hoard this & age it, so I might as well swap it off. Aww. :P I'd been running around all month going "GODZILLA PERFUME LOLOL." What a shame!

MB: Tokyo Stomp starts out on me like most everyone seems to experience it - buttery, minty, and strangely reminiscent of a certain slender Girl Scout cookie. It's pretty foody, as vanilla scents go.

For me, the initial scent isn't amazing enough to steal my heart; but instead of sticking around to woo me, this Monster Bait stomps off to wreak foody fumigation elsewhere. I'm left with only the barest hint of fresh vanilla, far too weak to do its name justice.

Swapped this off to a lady who I hope will appreciate it more! :P

In the bottle, Tokyo Stomp smells like wintergreen toothpaste and dry chocolate cookies to me. The boy said it smells like toffee... but he is possibly insane, so we'll ignore him for the moment.

On my skin... yup, this smells just like those chocolate-mint girl scout cookies. It's definitely more a chocolate-mint than a vanilla-mint on me. It's a dry sort of chocolate and a crisp mint, with the mint taking over more in the drydown.

Tokyo Stomp has poor staying power on me, but it's a nice, simple, happy scent while it lasts.

I can't describe how delicious this is.

Imp: Buttery, chocolatey, creamy, mint. YUM. I really do get the Thin Mint thing from this.

Wet: WHOA THIN MINTS.

Dry: Vanilla mint, almost like a soft minty powdered sugar.

Final thoughts: Oh my god. Why does this have to be LE? I'll be so sad when my bottle goes away. This is fabulous.

(edited for spelling.)

Edited by brit_brat100

Wet: It smells exactly like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, which is both divine and giving me the biggest cookie craving ever.

First on: Sweet, smooth mint. I want to say peppermint, but not like candycanes. Perfect vanilla.

Dry: Creamy Girl Scout Thin Mints or mint chocolate chip ice cream without any chocolate scent. Or those little butter mints. I'm having the biggest candy craving right now. I love this.

In the bottle:

Vanilla mint, just as described! It smells like something I eat at Christmas that I don't remember the name of. Argh! That's going to bug me now.

On skin wet:

The "thing I eat at Christmas" smell is even stronger! I THINK it's mint wafers or something. It's delicious smelling, though.

Dried down:

Finally, a mint scent that my skin doesn't eat! It's a gorgeous vanilla mint- the mint isn't as strong as I'd like, but even if it dries out completely throughout the day, the vanilla it's left is still lovely.

In the bottle: Lick it again with frosting.

On me: Whereas Lick it Again is a cold white mint on me, Tokyo Stomp is a bold, lush, green mint on me. Swampy and trompy and fresh-cut-mint-sprigs on vanilla ice cream with a touch of chocolate.

On the dry down: The ever-popular description of 'thin mints' is VERY apt. Also, do the baits share the same base oils? This is very reminiscent of Underbed on me, except instead of cassia, I get the mint, naturally.

Later: Powdered chocolate cookies ringed with sharp sprigs of mint. Thin mints. Creamy vanilla.

It's gorgeous. I like Lick it Again too, but I think Tokyo beats it down. However, I think I may wear them together to see if they amp things up, as the throw of this isn't too good on my skin, although excellent in my hair.

Woot.

"Sweet and crisp vanilla mint" is exactly what this smells like. No more, no less. I have not tried Lick It, Lick It Again, Snowblind, or really anything else this has been compared to, except Spooky. Spooky was plasticky and not very good on my skin. Tokyo Stomp agrees with me much more. It has a medium or slightly stronger throw and staying power. It smells good and I can really understand the 'Thin Mint' comparisons. There is only the slightest hint of something plasticky in this scent, but not enough to turn me off.

That said......Hmmmm. For some reason it's just not that exciting to me! I don't know why, because it smells good to me. It's just not something I personally want to smell like. Green Tree Viper is a minty scent that I do like a lot, so I'll probably just stick with that.

Damn it! this was my most lusted after bottle of BPAL for the longest time. I just knew it would smell like Snowblind (despite the fact that no one seemed to think it did).

But of course it didn't work on me at all!

In the bottle it surprised me by being a bit caramely, though that quickly gave way to the much-alluded to thin mint smell. (I'm in the minority here probably, but I don't really like thin Mints. In fact, I don't like chocolate with my mint at all, so I wasn't that thrilled by that.)

Then I put it on, and for one moment it was Thin Mint and I thought ok, I can probably deal though I was so sad it wasn't like my much beloved Snow Blind.

But then....evil! A cruel trick occurred! It turned plasticky!

I've heard people say some vanilla turns plastic on them, and I always thought thank god I can wear all of Beth's vanilla because that would be so sad. Well, apparently I can't wear THIS vanilla.

you know what is even sadder? Bigger Critters did the same thing, though thankfully Bigger Kritters wasn't predominately vanilla (ie. plastic) on me.

I still haven't found my BPAL holy grail of vanilla I guess, though Lick It and Lick It Again are closest. I guess I'll have to be happy with the two bottles of those I have.

But imagine me stomping off in irritation that my damn skin rejected this much awaited bottle of Tokyo Stomp.

Mint is one of the scents that I really like, but for whatever reason seem to disappear on my skin without a trace - I'm happy to report that Tokyo Stomp doesn't vanish after flattening a small town.

In the bottle it's a very creamy mint, actually to the point of being mouth-watering. It's reminiscent of sweets I used to eat as a kid (murray mints - think they still sell them).

On applying, the mint does linger around for a while on me, it eventually fades leaving a fresh vanilla scent. It almost feels like it starts as a deep green, eventually fading into an almost white colour.

Definitely a keeper!

This is the first mint and vanilla oil I've tried so I have nothing to compare it with. However it may not be the last.

At first it is mint ice-cream on me, but gradually the vanilla strengthens and warms up so although it's still very much mint and vanilla it doesn't remind me quite as strongly of ice-cream. And from there it never changes on me. It has good last and has some soft throw. Actually the throw seems to disappear after an hour or so, but then I get the odd whiffs of it when I least expect it for another 3-4 hours.

It's not really "me" but I do like it all the same, and I suspect I'll like it more come Spring.

Edit: Forget spring, it's now very much winter here and I love it! I'm regretting not getting a second bottle while I could.

Edited by Trishek

First sniff from the bottle: Chocolate thin-mint cookie indeed! :P But also with a good dose of soft vanilla.

On my skin: I get more mint than anything else, as if the chocolate layer is almost completely melted and the vanilla is going next. The mint just lingers.

I like this one, I really do, but I don't need more than one bottle of it so I will probably swap my second one when it arrives. The bf didn't care for it at all, and most other people thought it smelled nice, but odd at the same time. It doesn't have much staying power on my skin at all, but a still a lovely scent.

bottle: i smell the mint but also a rich buttery smell that is different from lick it again. it smells like peppermint frosting.

on: oh ,wow! minty like LIA but with that richness and creaminess. yummy! definitely vanilla here.

drydown: getting a stronger mint.starting to smell more like breath mints

dry, hour later: it gets a sort of woody smell-kind of the way the Tombstone smells on me. weird. a woody vanilla. not a bad thing, but if it ends up smelling like Tombstone, I kind of feel like, well what's the point? i wish it stayed with the frosting... :P

Well, now I know that it's not my nose that's broken -- this actually does smell minty to me! I'm so relieved!

In the bottle -- delicious minty goodness with a hint of sweetness. It smells just like the new Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste, which is the best toothpaste ever in the whole world (even if it is strange to be brushing your teeth with something that tastes like butter mints...)!

On my skin -- the minty scent stays, and I get a hint of that thin mints thing other people have, too.

After drydown -- there's something a little odd in the background. I don't get it all the time, and have to really snorfle my wrist to smell it, but it's odd. Sometimes it's the weird Play-doh scent people refer to (never had anything do that to me before!) and sometimes it's kind of dry and musty. Now it's gone again and I keep getting whiffs of delicious mintyness.

I love this scent so much I'll put up with the weirdness, and I'm so glad I decided to splurge for a bottle! :P

yep smells like warm vanilla with mint. the vanilla turns a bit plasticky and it kind of smells like a candle with my skin chemistry. still, i kind of like it. i dont love it but i do like it. i may keep my imp and wear it from time to time.

In the vial:

Mints! Thin mints from Girl scouts!

On me:

Thin mints! I smell the yummy cookie on me.

Final verdict:

Not for me. The mint and chocolate scent is not my type of scent but if you like this type of foodie scent then get it! Off to the swaps! :P