Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Spider

There was a family resemblance between the two men. That was unarguable, although that alone did not explain the intense feeling of familiarity that Fat Charlie felt on seeing Spider. His brother looked like Fat Charlie wished he looked in his mind...Spider was taller, and leaner, and cooler. He was wearing a black-and-scarlet leather jacket, and black leather leggings, and he looked at home in them...There was something larger-than-life about him: simply being on the other side of the table to this man made Fat Charlie feel awkward and badly consructed, and slightly foolish. It wasn't the clothes Spider wore, but the knowledge that if Fat Charlie put them on he would look as if he were wearing some kind of unconvincing drag. It wasn't the way Spider smiled--casually, delightedly--but Fat Charlies's cold, incontrovertible certainty that he himself could practice smiling in front of a mirror from now until the end of time and never manage a single smile one half so charming, so cocky, or so twinklingly debonair.

White ginger, artemesia, vetiver, nutmeg, King mandarin, bergamot, and lime.

in the bottle: mandarin, lime, and ginger

wet: sweet citrus, slightly clean.

as it dries the ginger and nutmeg become more prominent. the citrus less so. but it has taken an herby turn. i assume from the artemesia (wormwood i believe). this is incredible sexy slightly spicey. i can wear it and i also know it will smell amazing on my dh.

First off, I love the Gaiman series art...it looks like Agatha Christie paperbacks, and it makes me want to go curl up with a good book. In this case, a good Neil Gaiman book :P .

It smells like dry herbs with a splash of citrus. Not unlike the Yankee Candles Sage & Citrus (which I love, btw), but with much more depth, and not soapy. It's clean smelling wet, but as it dries it gets a lot more woodsy. Lovely and a little rugged, and I love this on me but it's definitely a more masculine scent, and it would definitely work for men. Possibly better than it works on me, although I am not sure that's possible. I love love love this, my only complaint is that it seems to fade all too quickly.

I was so delighted when this was released. I love the character of Spider, and the opportunity to have him (alas, only in perfume form) was not to be missed.

In the bottle: Spider is very tart and citrusy, with just a hint of spice. No sign of the vetiver that made me leery of ordering this blend. I could talk myself into smelling the artemisia but it certainly doesn't leap to the forefront.

First application: Damn, this is really good. Very fresh and manly... I often wear manly scents, so this doesn't bother me. But others who like a more feminine fragrance might want to beware. Not soapy at all, but with a sort of aquatic vibe. And lime.

Dry: This order has almost all been a hit, but Spider, I think, may go on my all-time favorites list. It fades a bit faster than I would like.

Bravo Lab. This one is everything I hoped for.

I thought that I'd love this with the citrus and ginger, but I'm actually not smelling any of the notes in the description. Spider smells dry, dusty, and ethereal. It's definitely a unisex/slightly masculine fragrance. It's interesting, but just not the sort of scent I like to wear. I'll be sending it off to a new home where it can get the love it deserves.

straight sniff from imp is clean and lemony...

once applied slightly gingery and peppery...this reminds me so much of

something else but i cannot quite put my finger on it...interesting and pretty...

i only wish i got the vetiver and nutmeg that are part of this blend...*sigh*

The bottle says Spider and yet I keep thinking I'm wearing Wilde (which I love so is not a problem in the least). Actually got myself a bottle of Wilde in the same order so sniffing them side by side they are different in ways my single note nose can't describe but on me very similar. Maybe I'm only picking up the bergamot both have. Just learned about bottle rolling to make sure it is blended so I'll try that before my next test and edit this if the results are different.

Based on the notes I'd have never thought Spider would be a "me" scent, but Spider is so damn sexy it should be illegal.

I loved Spider in Anansi Boys, my very first thoughts on him were "Yeah, I'd fuck him." :P And I can absolutely picture him smelling exactly like his scent - crisp and fresh and sultry and sexy. all rolled into one.

I love wearing this scent. I cannot stop sniffing myself with it on, and even hours later I can still catch the scent unexpectedly when I turn my wrist or bend over.

This is gorgeously soft and subtle on me as it dries - the nutmeg and the ginger give this a sort of slow, honeycomb bite that is unexpected and lovely.

I think I need a bottle!

Bottle: smells great! Pretty....I'm not getting any vetiver at all, or at least it's so well blended I'm not getting any.

Arm: hmm. this smells familiar. and I'm definitely getting the ginger here, with sweet, limey citrus. very mild undertone of vetiver in a beautiful way.

Dry: still going strong. but ruh-rohh......

A nice scent. However, I have a problem: I have a Vetiver/Ginger Candle, which I love.....and I have B&BW white tea and ginger shower gel which I don't like....and on my skin, this scent vacillates between the two....so it's too close to something that I don't like and a candle, even though the scent itself is actually really nice.

I don't think I'll be keeping this one......*sigh*

Vetiver is my enemy, but I really don't get it in this scent at all...yay!

This is citrus with dry herbs on me; if I didn't know better, I'd think I smelled white sage. It fades very quickly on my skin, but I might try using it as a room scent, as it's just lovely, crisp, and clean.

In the bottle:

Sort of masculine and clean

On me:

Mmm bergamot! Very clean and refreshing! Ginger and vetiver started spicing this up, but it still somehow stays a "cool" scent despite that. It is kind of masculine smelling because of these notes together, but I don't find it to be so far on the masculine side that I would not feel comfortable wearing it.

Okay nope, I take that back. It's really edging into masculine territory now. Not to say that it isn't great - it smells really good and I love that this smells clean and bright - it's something I'd want my husband to smell like right after he showered. If there was a soap that smelled like this, the hubby would be forced to use it hehe.

It strikes me as being a green, outdoors scent. Not in a "pine and dirt" kind of way - but it makes me think of standing in a green field, at the base of a mountain, with a river nearby. It's that kind of outdoorsy. Bright, citrusy, uplifting.

Final note:

hard to describe Spider but it's really nice. Someone mentioned Wilde earlier up and I see the similarity. If you like WIlde, then Spider is right up your alley. I don't think I'd wear this much, if at all - and yet, I don't want to get rid of my bottle either. Whether that is mostly an attachment to the character the scent is made for, or if it is just a real enjoyment of the scent itself I don't really know lol

Spider - This is predominantly a bergamot scent on me, with a touch of white ginger. I don't smell any of the other notes, which really bums me out because they're such terrific notes. As with all blends that are predominantly bergamot, I find this scent cloying and heavy. It's really not for me. The throw is very strong (especially when first applied) and a little goes a long way. The staying power is definitely above-average.

Spider on my skin is a rather bright, clean, men's cologne sort of fragrance at first. If I had to smell this without knowing the notes, I honestly would have guessed for white grapefruit, white musk, and bergamot. In the drydown it has more of a clean ozone/aquatic vibe that reminds me of Sea of Glass. There's also a funky, earthy something that lingers in the background that I'm guessing is the vetiver.

This is reminiscent of the many fresh/citrus/aquatic men's colognes that are out in the market now. I'd like this if it had a sweeter edge to it rather than this dirt/earth edge. I can see the comparisons to Wilde as well, but Wilde is much sweeter and more complex on my skin.

This is going to be a very short review. Every man in America, or better yet, the world, should have multiple bottles of this scent. It is sexy and clean at the same time. Amazing :P

Edited by Delphinine

In the imp, I get a spicy citrus, but very refined.

Right off the bat, I picked up the bergamot and ginger. I would have guessed at grapefruit in background, like someone noted, but it's not in the blend. It's got a nice softly sweet-sour note, slightly astringent, that I really like. There's a nice note of soft lime and vetiver that comes up as it dries down.

Dry, I get soft lime and vetiver with a mellow spiciness behind it. Vetiver is a note that's really good on me, and I like the way it comes up as it dries. There's just something slightly edgy about this vetiver and spice, though, which I really like. I'm guessing it could be the herbal note of the artemesia. Spider, you da man!

Edited by Jilara

I wasn't all that interested in Spider, after reading the notes. Ginger's kinda iffy on me sometimes, and I was having trouble envisioning how it would work with mandarin and lime. I thought it might smell confusing.

It doesn't. It blends very well. It's a bold scent and makes me think of someone who is confident. More specifically, a confident man. I don't think this scent is feminine at all, but, of course, I didn't expect it to be. It's called Spider. :P It's strong and sexy.

My mystical powers of prediction sense that my husband will be getting a surprise bottle of this as a present after I submit my next BPAL order...

This is a unique scent, light and clean, not nearly as much citrus as I was expecting. There is something almost minty here, and I wasn't expecting that either. Maybe it's the artemesia. This is another one of those scents that is so well blended that none of the notes really stand out strongly. Sorry to make comparisons, I know some people don't like that, but I can't help but compare this to Antonino and Faiza from Carnaval Diabolique. I think it has some of the herbal aspect of Antonino, only much fainter. And I don't know why it reminds me of Faiza, maybe the mandarin. It's not humid like Faiza, but it has that dark almost fruity slinky aspect a little bit. It's a great scent, though, and I think I'm going to need more than the testable amount that I got to try!

Citrusy, clean, and spicy. It has a classic cologne-y quality, but so much nicer than that. I smell like a very sexy man. :D I am totally in love with this scent, and I;d love to get my husband to wear it too. OMG.

Sorry, I know this review lacks description and thoughtfulness, but I just can't stop sniffing. :P

Spider smells white and fresh and bright in the vial, and on my skin, the ginger imparts a nice freshness that I adore. Unfortunately the vetiver and nutmeg (I think) amp on me, and it's a combo that doesn't really please my nose. TO THE SWAPS WITH YOU, SPIDER!

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Interesting.

Pre-Review Thoughts: I'm not a fan of vetiver, but I love ginger, nutmeg, mandarin, and bergamot, and Mr Nancy's made me more accepting of lime, so...

In the imp: Very bright and floral; very white.

On skin, wet: Slightly soapy, and very citrusy. No trace of lime, sadly.

On skin, dry: This reminds me a great deal of Usher: they both have a similar floral, slightly cologne-ish, vaguely tea-like quality, with a fuzzy, dark undercurrent. In Usher, it was a cooler kind of darkness; in Spider, it's a warmer, more earthy darkness that I attribute to the grassy warm of vetiver.

Conclusion: Spider's an interesting scent, but as Usher was ultimately not for me for reasons I couldn't (and can't) pin down, so too is Spider just a tad too... not-my-thing-ish.

Edited by Aredhel

In the imp, Spider smells much like the description, and much like other describe it: bright, slightly aquatic. I smell a slight bit of bergamot, and the vetivert is soft, giving it a slightly masculine undertone that is pleasant but doesn't scream vetivert (though I like the troublesome V, so that's not a problem for me). It's a nice bright green scent.

But here is the wierd thing: after awhile, when I sniffed the place I thought I'd put Spider, I got a lovely warm brown spice, slightly reminiscent of Mr. Jacquel but not as sweet. I decided I'd just somehow mixed up the imps, so I reapplied.

And after the brightness fades, I get it again. Warm, brown, spicy. I guess my skin must amp the nutmeg and ginger, because this completely changes on me. completely.

I like the warm nutmeg stage more than the opening stages, but I have other scents I like better so I won't be keeping my imp.

Hee! I forgot this had vetiver before trying it on. No wonder I only really got two impressions from Spider:

1. Men's Cologne and quite an overpowering one at that.

2. Not for me. Not at all.

I have a curse: I hate vetiver and I amp it like crazy. This just smells like aftershave and Men's Cologne on me and it is so not working. I think I'm going to try to sell this to a male friend.

Edited by lady_pandora

Wet: The vetiver, lime, and white ginger are by far the strongest scents. It smells very clean and slightly spicy. It does, however, smell like men's cologne.

Dry: The scent softens and loses a bit of its bite. It's more herbal than spicy, and it's more gender neutral than manly.