Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Grr

Headache relief.

This is such a clear soothing mint. Very wintergreen and fresh. Wakes up your brain even as it sooths it. Great for clarity after a long day sniffing bpal. I'm feeling much more relaxed and laid back now.

Minty, minty goodness. Sort of a sharp, herbal minty that just cut through my headache. Sadly, the scent totally vanished in less then thorty minutes. Happily, the headache went with it!

Hey Labbies! Have I told you lately that I love you?

I woke up with a splitting headache this morning, and so I decided it was a great time to try that little impie of GRR that I've had sitting around for a week or two.

This is what I decided to do: I filled the bathroom sink up with steaming water (like you would do if you were giving yourself a facial) and then dumped the imp of GRR in, and then covered my head with a towel and steamed. Let me tell you, after about 30 seconds the steam + peppermint oil mixture went right into my sinuses...and you know that feeling you get when you put peppermint oil on your skin? Like it freezes the spot immediately? That's what it did to my whole skull, inside and out. Everything just went all tingly and froze.

And when it wore off, my headache was gone.

I can imagine that this will be especially effective for tension headaches. Fan-flipping-tastic.

The scent of this is almost pure peppermint, with an herbal base - there is nothing sweet or candy od "Lick It" about it.

I've dabbed a bit of this on my temples and under my nose for a developing hormonal migraine (I just have the imp ATM, and would love to try Clover's remedy, but am lothe to be without until my bottle gets here, to be honest ;-).

This is a fabu blend, my lovelies. ThankYouThankYouThankYou! :P

Grr smells like peppermint oil and works much the same way. It’s sinus clearing and gives that cooled feeling throughout my head when I smell it. It’s nice, but not worth $25.50 a bottle. You can get peppermint oil from many good companies for much less that what Grr costs per 5 ml.

I'll have to echo PilotKitten's sentiments with this one. It does just seem like a nice peppermint oil to me, and I don't think I'd ever pay so much for a peppermint oil.

Plus, I'm a strange one in that peppermint seems to actually give me headaches if it hangs around for too long or is too strong. I can wear Lick It (though I didn't care for Lick It Again) and I love the tingly, cool feeling that it gives while the candy sweetness makes it wearable and cheery for me. Grr has no candied edge. If you can handle peppermint, a dab of this on the temples would probably be lovely. For me, this is too strong and too bracing. Even the Grr fizzy boom was too much for me to handle, though the booms are super lightly scented, just because I stayed in the bath for too long.

I think I'm going to try what clover suggested with the rest of my decant, so I can get the benefit of a sort of quick peppermint treatment but it won't hang around all day.

As someone who has used peppermint oil as a remedy for headaches/migraines for years, I can say with 100% certainty that this is no mere peppermint oil! :P

It definitely has a primary mint/peppermint smell, but after using it, more of the elements start to emerge and come into play. It's very soothing and calming, after you get past the initial peppermint rush.

I used this by dabbing small amounts on my temples, and then soaking a washcloth in heated water that had the oil added to it. I draped the washcloth over my eyes & forehead and lay down in a quiet, dark place. This *definitely* did the trick! The peppermint rush helped to taper the pain at first, and then the other soothing elements came out to work their magic and the result was just perfect.

This is *definitely* a bottle purchase!

I received my order with the Relief Pack in it at just the perfect time - about a week and a half before I came down with some sort of nasty little flu-like thing. Headache, fever, an on-and-off stuffy nose with sinus pain have been the main features... So Grr and I have become very good friends in a short time.

Grr is indeed very minty, as previous reviewers have stated, and like them I'm sure it's peppermint because it has that icy-hot peppermint feel. There are some background players though - I get a little bit of lavender in there and some other herbal, green notes that I can't identify. The overall scent effect is on the sharper side, as opposed to creamy and smooth, but I don't find it extremely stimulating the way that peppermint oil or shower gel, etc. are to me. That makes me think the lavender and whatever else is in there could be helping to mitigate the stimulating effects of the mint in addition to alleviating any tension that's contributing to the pain.

A few minutes to myself to lie down in my quiet room, shut my eyes and inhale some Grr has helped immensely with my rotten-feeling head, while keeping my Advil intake down to a reasonable level. I need to add a bottle of this to my household health staples!

Not to be vulgar, but migraines have really fucked up my life. I first became involved with aromatherapy specifically to find ways to help me cope with the pain and nausea they create.

GRR is not just peppermint oil. I've used plain peppermint aromatherapy oil for years and years, and I know it when I smell it. It's definitely the main player, but I agree that their are other notes at play. I detect Eucalyptus, which is fantastic as one of my symptoms is sinus congestion and runny nose. The consistency of the oil is different than any other peppermint oil I've had access to. I would guess that reflects the quality of the oil as well as its purity. A lot of aromatherapy oils are NOT supposed to be used neat on the skin. I can dab this right underneath my nostrils and on my temples.

GRR is much more straight-up therapeutic in its scent than other mint scents Beth has released, like Lick It (Again), Green Tree Viper, etc. I would use this in a steam humidifier as well as on my skin.

Thank you Beth, from the bottom of my heart. :P

I, too, suffer from migraines and I have tried everything. Patches on the forehead,

aromatherapy etc. I didn't even wait for an imp-I ordered it the day it came out. I am desperate! Sometimes I stay in my room for 3-4 days. So-I started to get a headache and I had the bottle next to the bed. I rubbed it on my temples and smelled the bottle quite a bit. It is pretty strong and odors bother me so I didn't want to apply under my nose.

It is heavy peppermint, not like baking peppermint but medicinal quality. I have tried acupuncture and they use herbs, eucalyptus and such. It reminds me of that. I closed my eyes and just laid there awhile and my headache did lesson and finally go away. It was not a full blown migraine but not that I know that it does work I will use it when I do have one.

Finally, something that gives some relief! Thank you, Beth!!!

Grr - I got an extremely painful, splitting headache last night. About an hour into it, I remembered that the day before, I received my imp of Grr. So I pulled it out, applied it to my temples and my chest, and almost immediately the headache was gone. While the headache would attempt to return, it never came back in full force, and each time I took a long, strong whiff of this Panacea blend, the headache would dissipate. I am incredibly impressed with this blend, and will be purchasing a bottle since I've been suffering from stress and sinus headaches quite a lot lately. This blend opens up with a cold blast of peppermint, but as it dries down, I smell lavendar and something else in it that's very herbal and reminds me of sage. I also thought I caught the slightest whiff of spearmint, but that could just be the peppermint and herbs playing tricks on me. No matter what, this stuff does the job incredibly well.

Minty and cooling. I put a dab on my temples when I had a week of headaches and they got tingly, but the headaches evaporated quickly! There's sage and eucalyptus in here too on the drydown.

Definitely recommended for headache sufferers!

Fresh, clear mint. Lovely! I adore this smell.

I don’t know if it works against headaches because *touches wood* I didn’t get any headache lately, but it will certainly work as a comfort scent anyway.

Ohmigod, I NEED a BIG bottle of this!

So here I was, failed even by aspirin and strong coffee, a blend that usually at least knocks a major edge off my migraines. Not this day. I was at a point where the pattern in the carpet at work was doing op-art morphing, and seeing it was making me seasick. Yeah, my migraine was THAT bad! :D

I left work, went home, and broke out my new imp of Grr. I rubbed it on my temples, across my forehead, and down the sides of my nose. I then retired to my darkened bedroom to go be miserable with my eyes closed. Within 15 minutes, I could feel the pressure and nausea starting to lighten. I cautiously looked around, and didn't see funky visual effects any more. About a half hour after applying Grr, my migraine was GONE! :D

I will make salames in the direction of the Lab every day, for a miracle like this! I am definitely including a bottle of this in my next order! This is the BEST thing I've found for my migraines so far! :P

I've given my imp of Grr a bit of a workout in the last few weeks since I received it as part of The Relief imp pack - I was nearly tempted to order this one outright as a bottle straight away!

I woke up with a headache this morning, which isn't the best way to start a day. A couple of panadeine took the edge off it for the hours I was at work, but the niggling headache was back once I got home. Not sure what was making me feel a little light-headed while I was washing up the dishes, but that was weird. A dab of Grr at my temples and on my wrists, and the tension starts to dissipate.

It's definitely minty, but it's not just mint. There's some things that make me think soft things in the mix, but nothing that my nose feels like telling me about right now. It kind of reminds me of what Peppermint (Pep-O-Mint!) lifesavers smell like when they're wet.

I think this is going to end up on my list of bottles to order ... I may just get the relief trilogy, before the cold and flu season hits with a vengeance in the southern hemisphere!

Grr

In the imp: pure peppermint, with a hint of greenness, and a hint of sweetness. This is a very clearing and cooling scent. My head is about to explode with all this study stress I have…good time to try this.

Wet on skin: tingly-cool peppermint. I decided to dab this onto my forehead because that's where it hurts like mad.

Dry on skin: wow! Peppermint blast! And there's a wonderful, wonderful tingly feeling on my forehead where I applied the oil, cool and fresh, it seems to be drawing away the pain. It feels like an ice pack on my head. The scent is an intense peppermint, with a herbal undertone which to me smells like basil, it reminds me of the Basil SN and also the herb itself. There could be some other herbs, maybe thyme or rosemary, as well as some eucalyptus? The scent is slightly reminiscent of Possets Snowflake in the Martini, but without the weird olive scent. I also noticed that the awful feeling I had earlier, of my head feeling like it would burst, beginning to fade away.

After a while: alas, the effects and scent of this oil are short lived. The tingle does fizzle out-though the headache remains, it seems to have weakened. The mint is all gone, leaving a tiny hint of basil lingering faintly on my skin. Time to apply more!

After a couple of applications (after the second application the cool feeling lasted much longer)…the headache has cleared! Wow! Although I think the painkillers might have helped…but no more pain now! (The scent has completely cleared after about 2 hours.)

Verdict: this really does work amazingly well. This is one of those oils that best works when applied to the area of pain as opposed to just sniffing alone. The scent is a surge of fresh peppermint with a herbal background. I massaged it into my forehead and temples and a delightful cooling tingle just spread across my forehead, soothing the throbbing pain. I'm actually tempted to massage this into my scalp as well for the full headache treatment. It doesn't get rid of the worst headache at once, but it definitely alleviates it enough for me to not feel burdened by it. And the headache I had really did clear, although whether that was the Grr or the aspirin, I'm not sure. Maybe both. The coolness I get from the mint would also make for a wonderful heatwave relief oil, along with Lick It…today was crazy-hot (and it's April, I dread to think what August will be like) and this brought welcome freshness. I think this will be one to get a bottle of eventually-it's powerful stuff and really does help with those pesky headaches.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! This stuff works wonders. I just have to keep reapplying for that lovely tingle, and the minty scent doesn't last. Good reason to save up for a bottle!

I think I'm addicted to Grr. :P

I got a little sniffie of it in a swap, and today I had a little bit of a sinus headache so I tried it out. Wow. It feels like it cleared out my head. The dull pain that has been sort of lingering in there all day is gone. However, I wouldn't suggest putting this on the back of your hand (like I did) because then you'll walk around for half an hour with your hand next to your nose (like I did). I think putting it straight onto your head would be best.

The peppermint oil in it makes my nose tingle, but I can tell that's not all that's in here. There's also something herby in it that I can smell when it's dry. It never gets sharply herbal, but there's an undertone.

wonderful! not only did it help with my headache and energize me it IS my scent. I want this to just wear normally. It's mint with an added kick!

Note: no foody smell here! hooray!

Edited by readiness

Mint is my favorite scent right now. I have mint products from Origins, Bath & Body Works, Avalon Organics and something else...This is the best.

I tried this at ECWC...fortunately I wasn't suffering from a headache, but I could definitely see how this would help clear my head. As others have said, it's a strong mint...like an undiluted version of the mint tea that I tend to brew n'breath when I do start to feel a headache coming on. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle--my headaches are pretty severe and generally require medicine + herbals to calm them down, and I already have the teas, which work pretty well (it's a pretty mint on its own, but I don't really like mint perfumes, so it isn't something I'd wear except for its purpose). Perhaps I'll seek out a decant and try it on a real headache before making a full decision.

imp: strong, wonderful minty goodness. i already use mint extracts for headaches but i'm thinking a bottle of grr might be just the thing to augment it.

wet: pure, chilling mint. i love that wonderful cooling feeling that mint gives my skin. that shivery, chilly tingle.

dry: the test spot on the inside of my arm has retained that chilly feeling for a while. even the tip of my nose has it from sniffing it so often. i'm adding a bottle of this to my next order.

I'm a big fan. I knew today was going to be a really stressful day, so I made sure to pack my imp of Grr with me. I've applied it three times to temples and under nostrils, and third-eye area, and it keeps the nagging headache at bay. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order a bottle of this. It'll certainly get as much use as some of the stuff I own and don't use.

Grr is absolutely wonderful. I get a lot of sinus headaches, and I've started to use this for them regularly of late; I'm recovering SO much faster.

I typically apply it to my pulse points and temples; tonight I also tried putting some in a diffuser. AMAZING. My headache's almost gone, and the mild period-related nausea I was feeling has also been cured.

This oil is worth every single penny.

In the vial: old-fashioned seaside rock! Very peppermint, but not sweet.

On the skin: I dabbed it on my temples, where the pain was. It still smells just like seaside rock - a dry yet round and sweet peppermint. It imparts a chilly tingle to the skin, and although the headache lingered, so did the chilly sensation, which was lovely and soothing.