Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

In the bottle: chocolate snake oil. I've never seen a darker colored BPAL oil.

Fresh on: Chocolatey and creamy in a sort of nice-smelling pipe tobacco way. I happen to like the smell of pipe tobacco, so I'm fine with this.

Several hours later: Still very nice. Has become softer and a bit more spicy. Milky smell very evident in a nice hot cocoa way.

Verdict: This is great. I got a bottle of it for a decant circle, but I'm sure I'll stock up on some more before the Carnival leaves.

My review will sound much like the others here.

In the bottle, this stuff is opaque. You can see the sludge of the cocoa encrusted around the neck of the bottle. This is bound to be chocolatey.

And it is, when it's wet. It's rich, dark, chocolatey goodness, with a rich base of snake oil. The chocolate power fades a little quickly. After maybe 20 minutes, it's basically Snake Oil with a touch of cocoa. And that's ok, because I like it better than regular snake oil. It makes it a little bit deeper and darker. You can still detect the chocolate, it's just not quite as rich and strong.

I like to wear this in my locket at the same time I wear it on my skin, so I get the rich snake oil combined with the unfaded chocolate.

Throw and wear life are about the same as snake oil, which is to say, very good.

000t449z.png

Edited by naeelah

Wow. This a cocoa blend I can make good friends with!

So strong on the chocolate from the decant to the skin, and then the quick rush of snake oil underneath. This doesn't morph much on me, except for that initial burst of SO. The rice milk is barely there - the teak just very softly underneath it all.

But mostly it's a delectable cocoa-SO fusion.

I'll be getting a bottle. :P

Huh. For how dark-colored this is in the bottle and on my skin, it's a really light smell. The cocoa note is gorgeous, but I have to ram my nose into my wrist to smell it, and the Snake Oil (which I adore) is nowhere. I'm hoping this is a 'wacky hormones eating my perfume' thing, as I can tell that I will love this if it sticks around and stops being such a dreadful little tease.

If not, I'll just stick Snake Oil over Centzon totochtin.

Le sigh

Boomslang is sort of sticky/sweet. It is Snake Oil plus dark chocolate and a touch of teak. The rice aspect adds a touch of comfort/sweet to the rest of the scent, but it doesn't take things over.

I think Boomslang might be my go-to scent when I want the comfort of chocolate with the sultry aspect of Snake Oil. Love!!

This cocoa essential oil is absooooooluuuuuutely gorgeous. And dark. I have to shake the bottle before applying it, and if I don't rub it in really well I can see a spot!

It is, obviously, a chocolate covered snake oil. One of my coworkers walked up to me and asked if I was wearing baby powder. Or White Diamonds. Because I smelled, apparently, like a baby.

Hmm. I think her nose is wonky though. I hope I still like it, at any rate. :P

In the imp: Chocolate and vanilla!

On Skin: Sort of like Thin Mints. I definitely get hints of the teak though. Also a semi-weird plastic like smell.

On Drydown: Cocoa dusted Snake Oil

Four hours later: Snake Oil with a hint of cocoa

Verdict: I'm not a fan of Snake Oil... and the cocoa definitely makes me think of Wulric. I have to try it again before I make up my mind which of the two is the best cocoa CD scent.

In the imp: Mmm creamy dark chocolate. Like sugary dark chocolate truffles *drools*.

Wet on skin: Exactly like the smell in the imp but with a little vanilla background.

Dry on skin: The chocolate fades much more than I'd like it to and I can mostly smell just snake oil now with a hint of cocoa which gives it a creamier, foodier scent.

Overall: Even though the chocolate scent faded more than I'd like it to this is still the sexy chocolate that I was hoping for! Lovely. BOTTLE PLEASE :P . I can imagine this will be glorious when it's aged.

Oh that's what everyone was talking about. I don't even have words for how good this smells on me. The chocolate is sweet without being too sweet and the snake oil is just beautiful in this. I need a bottle or two right now! :P

My first impression upon opening this bottle was HOLY CHOCOLATE BATMAN! I didn't even smell the snake oil. Just. Pure. Chocolate. I almost eated it.

As soon as it touched my skin, I could smell the snake oil but was still chocolatey, after about a minute I could barely smell it anymore and it was just snake oil, but darker and richer. I loves it good.

OMG OMG OMG!

This scent is the holy grail of chocolate. Before BPAL I never really imagined wearing a chocolate perfume, (as much of a chocolate addict as I am) nonetheless, several of the chocolate blends have been delightfully wearable, but THIS... this is something else. It goes on so thick and rich that it stains my skin a chocolate color, and is so sweet and delicious I could swear it is edible. It is like the worlds finest cocoa dusted with sugary sweetness, creamy rice milk and pure vanilla extract. Almost like some incredible, thick chocolately hot cocoa with marshmallows melted right in.

This is divine... must...have...more...

chocolate

That sums it up. It smells like really, really, good chocolate with some kinda spicy sugary goodness mixed in. This is one of the few oils that I have tried that smells the same in the bottle as it does the whole time i wear it. :P

It seems thaht it behaves much the same way on many folks, myself included. It goes from very deep cocoa scent (wet) to more snake oil with chocolate on drydown. Cocoa subsides quickly but lingers in a subtle way. Teakwood comes out later on, so it's more than snake oil -- cocoa and teak give it a nice spicy and distinctive character. Excellent!

In the bottle and fresh on, this is chocolate and incense, with a bit of woody grounding. The chocolate note is somewhat reminiscent of Candy Butcher, possibly because of the rice milk (which doesn't present itself separately). After a few hours, my skin has done its normal vanilla amp-up and I'm getting both chocolate and vanilla mixed with incense. Then it goes thru a phase where it's pretty much pure Snake Oil; in a couple more hours as the vanilla finally starts to fade, the chocolate reappears to blend with the incense again.

I like this a lot. One of my few reservations about Snake Oil is that the incense note lasts longer than the vanilla, which makes the end of the tail (so to speak) a bit blah. Having the chocolate come back to modify that is a really nice bonus. Staying power is average; after 8 hours, I can still smell it on my wrists but the throw is pretty much gone. Bottom line: definite keeper, and probably a favorite as well.

Bottle: Spicy chocolate

Wet: The spice is more pronounced, but it's still spicy chocolate.

Drydown: Again, it stays mostly the same on me. It doesn't turn.

It's not my scent, but it's good 3.5 outta 5

ETA: I don't know what I was thinking because I tried it again today (11/16) and it was amazing! It was like wearing a sexy brownie smushed all over me! I love this and need a bottle!

4.0 outta 5

Edited by Honeygirl

This certainly is quite dark, the color of molasses. This one needs a little shake-shake invert before trying...it needs a mix to properly sample, as there seems to be a little bit of separation.

Definitely dark chocolate, a tasteful note that isn't quite as foody as I expected. In the imp, it's a little rotten-milk smelling, but once on that sourness is completely non-existent and it's just a dark chocolate Snake Oil.

The chocolate fades in about an hour, and I'm left with a dried-down, pleasant Snake Oil. It's pretty good, but I don't see myself springing for a bottle.

If you're into dark chocolate or cocoa as a BPAL note, and you like Snake Oil, you'll freak out over this. It's just not enough to make me wild, personally, though.

Something is wrong with me. :P I absolutely love Snake Oil. It's beautiful and sexy and I wear it more than any other BPAL oil in my stash. I also really like chocolate/cocoa and yet.. Boomslang and I are just not working out together.

My nose is apparently completely off because when I open the bottle I'm not hit with cocoa, I'm hit with the wood and spice which I don't find amazingly pleasant. I rubbed some in (wow this is THICK) and sadly, it never gets that spicy sweet I was looking for. My skin and my nose are apparently rebelling!

I absolutely love this one. I bought a bottle after my impage elicited some positive responses from teh boy (who´s verrry finicky). When it arrived I sort of regretted getting a whole bottle as it did get a little overly sweet and a bit powdery (like snake oil itself does), not to mention that I somewhere along the line decided I´m not a cocoa/chocolate girl, so I ignored it for a couple of months.

And then I tried it again... I don´t know if I´m having a really good luck streak with my skin chemistry but this smells utterly fantastic on my skin! It´s soft and somewhat subtle but raw sexy power! And it lasts allllll day. The scent at the end of the day is a sultry vanilla cocoa that literally makes me want to nibble at my own skin YUM. When I put some on the other night the boy pounced me and accused me of just smelling FANTASTIC, but didn´t want to credit it to perfume. I don´t think I can smell this good without it, but man it makes me happy that it´s a "me" enough scent to smell like a candied me on a good day. This has skyrocketed into my top5 and makes me need to try more snakes... Summer is coming and Green Tree Viper is going into my shopping cart unsniffed! I wish I loved Snake Oil as much as this... hopefully aging my bottle will turn it into a similar delight.

ETA: This has throw like mad, and I apply quite sparingly. just a teeny dot from the cap on each wrist and spread it around lasts upwards of 12 hours.

Edited by Avery

Rawr. Vanilla, chocolate, wood, rice, and the musky oils from snake oil. Sexy and sweet all at once. I'm so in love. If you like snake oil, you'll likely love this. This is a weirdly comforting scent, while still reading sexy.

I was so excited about Boomslang! I nearly ordered a bottle merely based on the description, but ended up buying an imp from a forumite.

Sadly, boomslang on me is not the wonderfulness that I expected (and that everyone else seems to enjoy). Upon hitting my skin, it immediately turns into a big ol' chocolate bandaid. :P It literally smells like some cheap scratch'n'sniff similacrum of chocolate. I could just :D. There is some nice stuff lurking in there, but I just can't get past the bandaids.

----Waddles off to get a scent locket with fingers crossed.

_______

ETA: 9 months later and Boomslang has fulfilled its potential for creamy chocolatey divine Snake Oil. It has aged wonderfully and no trace of plastic bandaids remains.

:D

Edited by Hoyden

My buddy nursekins calls this "chocolate sex brownies" and she is SO right. I wore this yesterday and my husband most ardently approved. :P

The scent is long wearing, intoxicatingly good, and hubby approved. I like this much more than Snake Oil by itself!

Yeah, I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. This is dark chocolate covered Snake Oil. Deep, rich, sultry, and bitter-sweet. It's 85% cocoa dark chocolate, none of that namby-pamby milk stuff. And after a half hour or so on my skin, the chocolate disappears and I'm left with cocoa tinged Snake Oil.

I agree with everyone who said that you need to mix this one before applying. The oil is THICK and dark, and even though I know you're not really supposed to rub perfume for fear of bruising the topnotes, there's really no other option for me with this one. The mahogany colored oil is pretty stark against my pale skin, so unless I want to look completely ridiculous with rust colored streaks on my neck, wrists, and cleavage, I have to rub it in well.

All in all, awesome. So glad I got a bottle. I think it'll age magnificently, and it's a fabulous cold weather scent.

I received this as frimp. Thanks so much britbrat! Anyway, this just smells like really aged snake oil to me, plus perhaps the tiniest hint of teakwood. Think I will mix it with some fresh snake oil to dilute a bit.

In bottle: Kahlua... have to restrain from sipping

Wet: Cocoa absolut... have to restrain from licking

Dry: Chocolate chai... have to restrain from walking about with my nose welded to my wrist

This is pure chocolate spice goodness. I will be getting several bottles of this before the Carnaval leaves town. Beth, can you possibly sell this by the vat?

I like snake oil, I like bliss, I like velvet and I like arcanna's burlesque. Why do I not much like this?

Off to age a while. I will add that I don't like new snake oil, only aged and that may be the difference