Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

Bahhh. Of course. Pure Snake Oil. I don't know what I was hoping for -- my skin devours chocolate like a ravenous hell beast. I sooo wanted this to be different but, alas, it was not meant to be.

Don't get me wrong, I really like it. If you can wear chocolate, I am positive this will give you the wonderful chocolate slathered Snake Oil I was hoping for (at least that's what it smells like in the bottle). Me? I could have saved a few bucks and just gone for the straight Snake Oil from the start <_< Edited by awesomeoverlord

:dance:

I :heart: Boomslang! When I tried Snake Oil, I wasn't really blown away or anything. It was nice and wearable, but it wasn't amazing... I figured it needed some aging to get good. But Boomslang... Boomslang was divine fresh from the lab.

Rich, dark, delicious chocolate with a delightful twinge of delicate white rice milk (I love rice milk!), spiced with Snake Oil goodness. When it dries down the rice milk disappears and I get a lovely hint of wood that really meshes well with the Snake Oil. The chocolate tones down with wear... the initial burst of dark and rich chocolate melds into the spiced dark vanilla patchouli-musk-magic of Snake Oil, elevating it to a new level of decadence. The medicinal twinge of fresh Snake Oil smells great here, gives it an almost tea-like touch that gives this even more character. The extra notes are working some real magic here, because it never gets powdery like regular Snake Oil does on me.

The lasting power is superb, the throw is just right. It feels like a more complete Snake Oil to me. It's warm and comforting, but still a touch sensual. I love it! :wub2:

Edit: I often go back and reevaluate scents after my initial glee, don't I? :P Well Boomslang is one of those scents I really have to be in the mood for. The first hour or so of wear is great, its sensual and decadent, like I said. But Boomslang has major lasting power, and after the complexity evaporates I'm left with a whole lot of chocolate and vanilla... delicious, but I feel strangely displeased, almost nauseated, after I've spent hour after hour smelling of almost straight-up vanilla and chocolate. I think I'll keep the decant I have, but I can't see myself using up a whole bottle.

Edited by tajana

this smells like a tootsie roll in/out of the bottle and splashed on my wrist. straight up, i smell nothing but chocolate.

love it and i have a bottle, so there.

Swapped for a bottle of this. Cocoa isn't my favorite but I wanted to try it!

Bottle: Rich, dry, deep chocolate with spices. Like a Green and Black's Mayan Gold chocolate bar. Delicious, spicy, incensey, and chocolate-sweet. No rice milk and no teakwood yet, just straight-up chocolate Snake Oil.

Wet: Whoever said that this will stain your skin was not lying! The oil is so dark brown it's almost black... And it smells almost like unadulterated Snake Oil to me, that fresh green-spice-vanilla-powder-incense smell, but with hints of dry cocoa and the woody teak. It's decadent and sensual but doesn't quite smell right on me-- too sophisticated, too adult, too... luxurious. It doesn't smell mysterious (which is how I like my incense), just incredibly rich. Definitely not an everyday scent.

Dry: This dries to a strong Snake Oil with faint twists of cocoa and rice milk, lending it a creamy, foody edge. The overly-heavy, decadent smell dies back some, making it much more wearable. If I loved the original Snake Oil I would be squeeing my pants for this one, but since I'm not that big a fan, I merely find this very, very nice. I may hang on to it for now and see how much I wear it.

Edited by WidgetAlley

Hmm. I have been holding onto this decant for a long time. Boomslang was described to me as Sex Brownies. Now, when I was a bpal baby, I wasn't too fond of this, but didn't want to give it a true review until I was more well acquainted with bpal. I'm still a bit of a heretic because I don't wear Snake Oil *DUCKS* but I have grown very fond of some snake oil based blend (eg Lilith Victoria/Green Tree Viper), so I think it is worth a shot now!

In the imp, this is still strong on the snake oil, with cocoa (not sweet/creamy chocolate, this is straight up cocoa) and teakwood and rice milk-every note is noticeable in this blend when sniffing from the imp.

Ok, on my skin, the scent becomes far more intense, the cocoa and teakwood especially. I can definitely see how one might describe this as sexy snake oil brownies. Very rich cocoa and snake oil-a little intense up close, but quite gorgeous from far away. I am going to give this blend some time to settle on my skin. I'm still torn...it still may be a bit snake oil heavy/teakwoody for me...

Hm, this has a very nice dry down-it really does smell as you would imagine from the description-very rich and sexy! The teakwood does calm down for me in drydown which I like-not too overpowering. Sex brownies is a good descriptor for sure. I am still not sure whether or not I will need a bottle of this, but I know I can't get rid of the imp yet. I just keep waffling-if you are a snake oil fan and a cocoa fan though, YOU NEED TO TRY THIS!!!

I used some Gula in the shower so Boomslang seemed a natural follow-up. Wonderful spicy cocoa - teakwood, huh? Wouldn't have guessed - perhaps the rice milk mellows it out for me? Anyway - glad I got a bottle and will probably need a back-up before the Carnival leaves town! :D

I've been dying to give this scent a try and finally broke down and got a decant this week. Ooo, yummy! I totally love this scent and am thinking I need to get a whole bottle.

I've never placed an order from BPAL. All the BPAL scents I have were either purchased on the forum or were frimped to me. So I decided to brave the mammoth site and find Boomslang. Mission accomplished, there it is in Carnaval Diabolique. So here's my newbie question...are the CD scents actually available for purchase? I clicked the button and it looks like it did add to my cart, but the opening paragraph for CD states they were only available until September 2008. Anyone know what's what?

In the bottle: I purchased this from the Lab four months ago, but decided to let it age a bit before reviewing. Originally, it smelled like sharp cocoa and fresh (i.e., very medicinal) Snake Oil, but it has now mellowed into rich, milky chocolate backed by teak with subdued Snake Oil in the distance.

Wet on skin: Woody cocoa and vanilla (from the SO) backed by Snake Oil spices.

Dry on skin: The cocoa, vanilla and teak are perfectly balanced, with the mysterious Snake Oil spices keeping the blend interesting. Sweet, complex and non-foody, this very cocoa-y blend lasts over 12 hours on me and never gets either bitter or too sweet.

:wub2:

In the bottle: I can smell the cocoa and a bit of soft rice milk. It smells almost hazelnut-y. So far, so good.

On skin: Sadly, my skin devoured the cocoa and rice milk in minutes and all that was left was what I presume is Snake Oil. I tried to like it. I really did... But it ended up giving me a headache. Very heady. I couldn't smell any teakwood. It is a wonderful, dark smell, but it's just not that great on my skin. The perfume is long-lasting, though.

This is gorgeous! I love cocoa, hands down; it's so much drier and deeper than the chocolate notes. Rice milk is dreamy; I personally like all of my scents to have a touch of cream or milk of some sort; I'll often layer a cream note under my BPALs that lack that note. And teak! Well, this is something that adores me; my fave oils have teak, and this oil fits the bill perfectly.

Having trouble getting it totally blended, but I think this it's as good as it's gonna get

Wet: ...oh that's nice...Smooth coco and vanilla. Creamy with some spice

Drydown: Really nice take on snake oil. I thought it might be like dessert snake oil, but it's not foody at all.

Overall: Dark and creamy snake oil. A keeper as an imp, at least for now, but I can't see needing a full bottle.

First of all, I love Snake Oil, so I figured if this just turned to plain SO on me then I'd be fine with it because I LOVE SO. Also, I swapped for this. I couldn't justify spending so much for one 5ml and and then so much to ship one little bottle. So I was prepared for however this would turn out. In my mind it was either going to be an extra bottle of SO or something even better.

I got something even better :P

This is SO yummy. It really is chocolate Snake Oil! When I sniff from the bottle I mainly get cocoa (think like cocoa powder..and someone mentioned something about tootsie rolls, and I do get that a little) and Snake Oil. I can detect a little teak in the bottle, but I'm not really getting the rice milk. If it's there, I think it's just helping to mellow out the herbal tinge that Snake Oil can often have. As much as I love SO, when I put it on I have to let it get through it's herbal stage, which on me only lasts 5-10 minutes. Don't get me wrong, snake oil smells good straight out of the bottle but it's FABULOUS when that herbal tinge mellows.

Boomslang on my skin is pure Snake Oil completely covered in cocoa with a little added sweetness. It's amazing, and anyone that likes or loves SO has to try this. The WORST that could happen is you're stuck with more snake oil ;) This is sooooo sexy. Even sexier than SO on it's own. It lasts hours and hours and the scent stays true... at least, it does on me. Well, after about 5 hours or so I can't smell much cocoa anymore, but the SO is still there going strong.

Boomslang is, hands down, my favorite BPAL scent ever. I love the way it smells when I first apply it, I love the way it smells after drying down, I love the way it smells on my skin in the morning when I wake up after a night out. I'm hoarding it to a really insane degree in anticipation of the Carnival leaving town.

When I first apply it, there's a strong cocoa note, but it's a dark, almost bitter, wearable cocoa rather than a sweet foody chocolate (which I wouldn't like nearly as much). Gradually the Snake Oil becomes more and more dominant until I'm left with a perfect blend of the two. I know others say Boomslang (and the other snakes) dry down to plain Snake Oil, but I don't find that to be true with this scent. The drydown is the sweet musky vanilla of SO plus the bitter cocoa note of Boomslang...it's lovely.

I often wear this when I go out, and it never fails to get compliments. The throw and staying power are amazing and I think that's part of what makes it my go-to scent for an evening out--I know I'll smell amazing all night long.

I hadn't really tried any of the lab's chocolate notes, and I'm starting to really warm up to my own Snake Oil now that it's aging, so I swapped for this with fingers crossed that it would smell as good as the reviews and description make it look.

I opened the bottle and all I can say is "Nom nom nom". It smells like delicious, delicious chocolate. With a hint of warm vanilla swirled in. When I put some on, I was kind of surprised and amused by the extremely thick, dark brown oil. On my skin, it initially goes OMG SNAKE OIL, but after a few minutes the cocoa comes out and... wow. Yeah. During the drydown, it's cocoa and vanilla with a hint of all those gorgeous spices that make Snake Oil so very slinky and sexy.

This is perfection. Much less foody than I thought it would be after it dried down, but still deliciously sexy. It's the perfect mix of slightly edible and very sexy. I'm so glad I swapped for this!

Boomslang

:thud:

Looooooove. Smooth, chocolatey Snake Oil. I like Snake Oil well enough on its own, but this takes it to a whole 'nother level. This is an oil that you should always have two of... one stashed away, aging, as you use up the other.

Boomslang is so gorgeous. I get the teakwood right away from the bottle (yay!) and immediately on the skin. Unfortunately the teak doesn't hang out for long on me, but what I'm left with is so delicious I don't mind: rich, deep cocoa absolute and dark spices with a splash of rice milk, which gives a warmth and creaminess to the blend. The heat from my laptop warms the oil on my wrists where I rest them so that I'm enveloped in this chocolatey spice for hours as I work. Lucky me!

This is the second snake pit blend I've tried, the first being green tree viper. I'm guessing from the results I've had that snake oil does not like me at all, even though I haven't tried it. I get a very strong tobacco scent from each of them. I really want to love Boomslang and I'll try it again.

In the bottle: deep, dark, chocolate.

On me, wet: Chocolate covered cigar, anyone? The cigar scent is stronger than with the Green Tree Viper (vanilla cigar, anyone? anyone?)

Dry, later: The cigar-y scent is still there but mellower, and the chocolate is stronger.

I'll try with a scent locket. I am determined to love this and Green Tree Viper and I won't stop until they love me, too.

In the bottle: Snake Oil, but it's a little sweet and chocolatey-smelling.

Wet: This is a dark and sticky oil! Very chocolate or cocoa-scented, but the wood, which I think smells more like cedar than teak, is very present.

The dry-down: The sweetness of the rice milk is now swirling through the Snake Oil spices and the cocoa, but it's not too sweet. This is not what I would call a heavy foodie scent; if anything, it sort of reminds me of baking chocolate or baker's cocoa powder. There's a pale or white floral note, which is strange, because no florals are listed as notes. Maybe that's something from those exotic Indonesian oils blending together? At any rate, I can't wait to see how this ages.

It's snake oil, and faintly teak and rice milk. It has this slightly sweet powdery smell. The more it dries the more the cocoa comes out. I don't like it fresh on but love it dry. It has great throw and staying power.

Boomslang. Rich cocoa over Snake Oil. I have a bottle that's aged about a year and a half, and it's a beautiful thick, dark oil. It's amazing, I must say, however, it doesn't love me. It goes sharp just like regular snake oil (although it's finally getting better with age), but I'm still keeping this amazing oil in hopes that a miracle will happen.

Aha, I see that there's a layer of cocoa at the bottom of this bottle, like there was with Dark Chocolate and Pepper-Smoked Caramel...so I did shake it to get the cocoa unsettled, but still...I don't get a ton ton ton of cocoa from this.

I do get some, and a vanilla-y smell that might be the rice milk or might just be the original Snake Oil shining through, but mostly - and this is straight from the Lab, no aging - it smells like Snake Oil. Tiny hints of chocolate and vanilla, but mostly Snake Oil. Although the gourmand qualities of the scent do mitigate Snake Oil's powderiness, and that's good, because sometimes people mistake Snake Oil for baby powder on me and that makes me has a sad. This doesn't smell powdery, it actually smells a bit deeper and richer than the original SO.

Man, I cannot WAIT to see how this ages, because I bet it's real good...and it really makes me want the entire Snake Pit now, just to see what other variations there are. (so far have only smelled this and Saw-Scaled Viper, but have really liked what I've smelled!)

I'd spent the last year or so telling myself I didn't need to even try this scent because I don't like smelling like chocolate, but then yesterday I had an opportunity to test it.

Wet and in the initial drying stages, it confirms all my suspicions: baker's cocoa and nothing else.

A little later, I get some roundness that is the vanilla and probably the rice milk. Strangely, it's very faint if I try to sniff it; I have to get right up to my arm to smell anything, but if I'm not trying to smell it, it wafts up.

As time passes, this gets better and better, less like chocolate milk and more like something exotic, incense mixed with those lilies that smell like vanilla, maybe.

The husband's opinion was that this was a comforting smell -- so, not "sex in a bottle" around here.

Verdict: Want a bottle. Maybe two. The Snakes are taking over my bottle box.

Boomslang does smell like Tootsie Rolls! A kind of soft, waxy chocolate.

It's very polished, gleaming chocolate with a swirl of hot, sugary Snake Oil. Dusted with gnarly, woody dry cocoa. What a sexy confection. I was really hoping for something interesting from the rice milk, but I'm not surprised that it's rather overwhelmed by the SO and cocoa. Doesn't actually have a wide throw on me-- it's like a second skin.

So, very much as described. :) I really like it, but I think I'm still more drawn to some of the other Snake Pit blends.

In imp: unlike the first two Snake Pits I tried, this one actually smells of Snake Oil, but it's very rich and deep with lots of dark cocoa, teak and something smooth and sweet that must be rice milk.

Wet on skin: thick and gloopy and very dark. It stains skin and clothes! It's incredibly rich and chocolatey with lots of Snake Oil, and it's delicious!

Dry on skin: it doesn't morph much, but gradually the Snake Oil sneaks its way to the front and the scent becomes warmer, "dirtier" and less foody. It's not really me, but I like it a lot. It's an unusual and very grown up scent. A better version of Snake Oil with added dark chocolate! Ends up as mostly Snake Oil.

Second wearing: this is sooooo goooood! Under the thick, dark cocoa I can smell the patchouli from the SO, with rice milk, teak and vanilla. This may be the scent that teaches me to love Snake Oil! The best of the bunch! Want a bottle!