Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cinder

The absolute darkest scents? dark, ghostly, haunting, scary,

Dance of Death, man. LOVE it.

"A gloriously elegant representation of Lady Death. Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh"

Edited by lookingglass

Days and Nights in Vaults and Charnal Houses. I put some on before I went to sleep and yes, there are flowers and it's a lovely springtime scent, but the sour nitre and under-earth smells didn't exactly help me sleep.

As for darkness itself and not creepiness, Dance of Death or Sloth fits.

Edited by patina

I :heart: this thread so much.

At least one other person has mentioned this, but Centzon Totochtin is my #1 creepy scent right now. There is just enough blood underneath that lovely cacao and wine to make it quite disturbing! I love it.

Others that evoke unsettling darkness to me:

Faiza, the Black Mamba

Velvet Panther

Black Pearl

Fallen

Nephilim

Morgause

Darkness (haha, yes.)

Dance of Death (like so many others here.)

Vampire Bride has given me chills more than once.

I love The Vampire Bride!

It's clean, pretty tea and sexy red musk - but I'm going to agree that there is something slightly unsettling about it. It feels predatory - like it's about to snatch some hapless victim and drain him dry. :twisted:

I don't know if this counts, but yesterday I put on Blossoms in Springtime and it looked so much like watered down blood, that combined with the label art made my hair stand on end. Fortunately it smells like flowery marshmallows :lol:

I think I would have to say:

Blood - this had a really unnerving quality to it - it actully did make me think of blood! creepy!

U Mutter Museum - smells like old formaldehyde and dead things to me.

Ü Mutter Museum smelled like dust, rot, and cold flesh to me. The Seekim is also rather spooky - it doesn't smell evil, but it smells inhuman and fey. I like it but feel a little unnerved whenever I wear it, as if some strange creature is following me.

Bringing this back from the dead because weenie stalking and going through my imps and sniffies. I stumbled across The Burying Ground from the Yules and thought of this thread! It gives me the uncomfortable feeling of standing somewhere I should not be, out in nature tainted by murder and flame from long ago. It makes me feel like a ghostly someone is following and wants to tell me what happened or perhaps that if I listened closely I could still hear the echos of the screaming. Definitely a scent that gives me images and feelings!

Edited by Riletto

Though not what I would call olfactory pleasing (at least to me), Gore-Shock blew me away. It was truly terrifying. It was like smelling a rancid meat factory with pools of sticky blood on the dirt floor. Ugh. I couldn't bring myself try it on, it was just too scary for me. On the flip side, I find Samhainophobia to be a dark , cold and haunting scent, yet totally wearable. It's one of my favorites from last years Weenies release. :)

So, my favorite dark and haunting blend that is still wearable has to be Acluophobia. I think the manly equivalent for this is The Final Darkness

For disturbing I'd go with:

Gore Shock - sticky blood

The Day Burned White - haunted house plaster

Peninsula Fulminum - scorched wood

Worm Moon 2014 - decaying earth

It Doesn't Matter Which Way You Go - scorched fur

Battle of Vigidr - Viking Apocalypse of Ash and Destruction

The Burying Ground - Gore Shock + dirt

Memory of Primal Secrets - evil ocean

I found in general that the Misk Valley Yule blends of 2013 on the whole seem to be pretty 'eerie'.

Gore-shock. It's not "dark" in the sense that it makes me picture the color black. It's dark in the way that Silent Hill's Otherworld is dark-it's warm, and bloody, and evil. XD

It may just be my personal scent associations, but Croquet smells like a styling old ghost, who shows up for a haunting with a cane and a top hat.

Centzon Totochtin is pretty un-nerving. I love the scent itself: sweet, bloody, and boozy. But I sure as hell don't wear it to bed. It makes for disturbing dreams.

For "darkness" in general The Final Darkness and Midnight Mass are both really beautiful. For disturbing, Battle of Vigidr. It just smelled "wrong" to me. I actually think Pain is terrible as well, though not in a dark way. It's bright and screeching and reminds me of being in a dental office from Hell. :confused:

On the flip side, I find Samhainophobia to be a dark , cold and haunting scent, yet totally wearable. It's one of my favorites from last years Weenies release. :)

I'll second that - Samhainophobia is a truly beautiful scent! I'll also throw in Zadok Allen's Vineyard. I can actually feel the copper-metallic blood taste in the back of my throat when I first apply it.

this thread is talking my language :x my creepiest and best beloved :

Kinnabari v4 - absolutely smells of like, hospitals in Silent Hill to me, I only break it out at Halloween :x

Hand of Glory - sometimes I see people writing about how comfy and warm it is to them and marvel at the wonders of skin chemistry, because on me it smells like exactly what it says and it's truly horrible :x in a way I really appreciate, but still

Pain - will second what Balame says above, it's sharp and screeching and very cruel indeed

Sarah - nasty stuff, just like it says; stone and blood and fluttering dead things

In His Hands Thy Cruelties Thrive - I'm not saying I don't like smelling like an experimental villainess in her dungeon, mind

Rumpelstilzchen - what everybody else seemed to get from Gore-Shock and I didn't (because Gore-Shock was all bacon)

Theodosius - truly grim in a white kid gloves, sharp razor, Jack the Ripper sort of way

Bezoar - I couldn't have it in the house :x too creepy even for me, which is really saying something. or creepy in the wrong way for me, anyway~

U Mutter Museum - oh my god, yes, it really is the smell of a wunderkammer it's SO AWFUL, I love it so much :x

also I've yet to try it myself but Black Annis on my flatmate is the creepiest most amazing awful magic :x