Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

impsniff: smells like teh Smut with a little black patchouli

**gets hopes up**

on me, smells like teh Smut on the morning after (i mean this in a good way), smeared mascara and tangled hair

for about ten minutes.

then it goes to powder and rootbeer.

i think Sin and Snake Oil are cousins -- i'm sure there are others who would agree with me on that even if they haven't tried Sin.

edit: Oh! i seem to've started a new page. adding lab description:

Edited by Shollin

This imp is traveling as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

Initial Reaction: Cinnamon = not on skin. Ever.

Sniffed in bottle: Sniffed only because of the reaction cinnamon creates on my skin. Whoa! Patchouli takes this over the top from what I expected. Very little cinnamon scent.

The patchouli is really the top note for me here, although I can detect the amber slightly. It rounds out somewhat after a little while, but the patchouli overwhelms everything else. :P

In vial: not sure what I'm getting from this, something thick and kind of smoky. It reminds me of the parties my parents would throw in our house during the 70s. :P

Initial application: HELLO CINNAMON. Not as intense as Block Buster, which makes the inside of my nose and mouth burn, but it's there.

Drydown: the cinnamon disappears and is replaced by that thick, smoky scent again, only with incense added. Yep, I smell like a head shop right now, due to the combination of sandalwood and patchouli. I don't love it, but it's not altogether bad, considering I usually despise eau de patchouli.

In the imp: Cinnamon, amber, patchouli. All very strong and in your face.

On, wet: Mostly cinnamon and amber; the patchouli adds a "dirty" undertone to it. Not much in the way of sandalwood, as far as I can tell.

Drydown: Ah, there's the sandalwood. It's mostly that and the patchouli now, with a haze of amber.

I like it, but I'm not sure it's for me. Especially given that the husband is not keen on patchouli. :P

In the imp: Sweet spicy patchouli. I don't like patchouli but this smells good!

Wet: Patchouli tinged with sweetness. Reminds me of Snake Oil.

30 seconds later: The cinnamon explodes on my skin. I can still smell the patchouli, but oh cinnamon!!!

Drydown: The cinnamon subsides a bit and mixes with the patchouli. This reminds me a lot of Lush's Spice Mountain soap, one of the few patchouli products I really love, along with their Hot Toddy and Christmas Kisses bubble bars. And they all contain cinnamon as well as patchouli, coincidence? I think not. It doesn't smell exactly the same as Spice Mtn (luckily I have some in the shower to compare it to), but it is very similiar, but warmer and deeper.

Dry: It doesn't smell like Spice Mtn so much now, but it is still very very lovely. Still mainly patchouli mixed thoroughly with cinnamon, but every so often I can pick out my love sandalwood. It's a little incensy as well, and now reminds me a bit of Schezerade.

It has some throw and is quite strong while it lasts. Unfortunately that's only a couple of hours.

My partner really likes this one, and he doesn't always like cinnamon. He does however like patchouli.

I don't know if I'll get a bottle, but the imp is definitely staying.

Edited by Trishek

In the vial, this is a dark, rounded, subtle scent of sandlewood and black patchouli with perhaps a slight touch of cinnamon to sweeten is just a smidge. On my skin, the amber & cinnamon comes through to warm it up, though the sandalwood and black patchouli keep it grounded and make it a darker scent. After a couple of hours on my skin, this is a very rounded, soft and subtle smell of amber and faded sandlewood.

Sin is one of those blends that makes me never want to get rid of anything, even if it really, really doesn't work on me on the first try. Or on the second. Or the third.

The first few times I tried it, I liked it on first sniff. It smelled musky and sweetly spicy in the imp. Even though I thought I caught a whiff of red musk in there (it's not, though, it's the amber fooling my nose), I liked it because of the spicy cinnamon that (YAY!) doesn't burn my skin. Then I'd apply it and, after the spiciness mellowed out a bit, I'd get hit by the black patchouli, which unfortunately smells old lady-ish on me. Still, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.

And I'm so glad! I just tried it again the other day and I it smells SO GOOD! Sweet, spicy musk, with no old lady powdery note from the patchouli. And even though the amber is pretending to be red musk, it's not doing the evil thing on my skin that red musk usually does. And yet it smells really sexy, almost as sexy as the only red musk scent I actually can wear (Loviatar). I'm going to save this one until the weather gets a little cooler. I think it'll be a great late autumn/winter scent.

*cry* I wanted to love Sin..okay I do love it, but it turns out cinnamon = OW + bright red marks.

Note to self: try new scents at night rather than just before heading out to work.

In the imp this is very deep and rich. Spicy and sweet. On my skin it's earthy with a very prominent "dirty" tone. I think that's the patchouli. It has this underlying sweetness though that I'm guessing is the amber. It takes the bite out of the patchouli and smoothes it a bit. Sin is such a fitting name for this blend. It's deep and rich and "dirty" and the sweet tone gives a promise of other things to come if you'll go just a bit further...

Oh I wanted to like this. I loved reading the descriptions and just couldn't wait for my imp to arrive. :P

Doesn't work on me at all. My first impression was tabacco...and not the tabacco flower. Dirty, old pipe tabacco. But the hanging scent in my nose was faintly cinnamon. So I was still hopeful that my skin would amp up the cinnamon.

No such luck. An hour later it's still tabacco, now with the faintest hint of wet leather. Occasionally I can still get that faint whiff of cinnamon, but it's only as an after scent. UGH. I can't figure out what's in this that I don't like...but whatever it is, it's giving me an awful headache.

Into the swap box.

I am beginning to notice that the Lab seems to understand my taste better than I do.

Sin was a frimp in a recent order (thank you, thank you)

My first impression (without reading the actual scent notes) was of something a bit darkly fruit/wine in flavor, then rushing into a complicated tangle of, um, love in the afternoon

sort of. And then, for a very long time, it stayed at amber. The crystallized sort one used to find in little out of the way shops that reeked of incense: it was I think genuinely tree sap or something. Powdery, and sweet, and exotic. It came in tiny carved wooden boxes, little bits of crumbling sweet/spice/powder.

I really love this fragrance.

This, to me, is Snake Oil without the vanilla. I don't really get a lot of cinnamon from it. It's very smooth, earthy, and sexy. Rrowr! It also reminds me a little bit of Baghdad.

I bought this to enable a friend but am fighting the urge to keep the imp for myself. But I will make the sacrifice and share the love. I'm not sure about a bottle just because it's so similar in feel, if not exactly identical, to Snake Oil, which I already have 10ml of. Only time will tell whether I yield to the temptation, but I have a feeling I won't be sorry if I do.

Oh, and once again, Beth has proven to me that I CAN wear patchouli, despite numerous protestations to the contrary before my discovery of BPAL. :P

Sin-

In Bottle: Sweet and woody.

Wet: Fruit and sandalwood. Sort of grapey.

Dry: This reminds me a lot of Shango, and it has quite a bit of staying power. I don't know that I love it; grape-and-sandalwood is maybe a little cloying for me.

Overall: Okay, but not a frequent flyer.

I got this as a Frimp.

I'm wearing it today for the first time.

Initially it was very rich, the Patchouli came on really strong. Then after a few minutes I was noticing that this was much more complex that I'd thought.

I could just discern some cinnamon and Amber. Sandalwood was mixing nicely with the patchoulli. My husband came up behind me and said, "Oooh you smell wonderful."

After 8 hours, I can still lift my dress a little and it wafts up at me. This is a very nice rich, non-floral, scent. I think it would make a great Men's scent also.

This is a very sexy scent.

----------------------------

Next day,

I mixed the last half of my imp with about 2 tsp. fractionated coconut oil and my husband used it on his hair and as a lotion (he has very dry skin). He smelled heavenly all day.

He's asked me to order more!!!! :P

The only other BPAL he's wanted for himself is Juke Joint.

Definitely on my next order list.

Waaah, I have to review this immediately! Very surprised by this one, I love it! It is like Anne Bonny, but better; it is liquid dark gold, amazing! The cinnamon and the amber make it warmer, softer, deeper, aaah!!! I want a bottle! this is fabulous! it is a GC, yay!

:P :D :D

Well, that wasn't very helpful, was it? hehe.

Scent: Sin

Bottle: Thick and viscous... Patchouli, definitely. Maybe vetiver too. Lurking amber or musk or something.

Wet: Yeah, patchouli. And something a little woodsy. This scent's smell seems to match its molasses color - heavy, slow, and thick.

After a While: Patchouli, though not a dirt variety. And something floral that I can't identify. A thick floral, like roses dipped in maple syrup or something.

Before It's Dead: Very funny, this one... The patchouli just faded, slowly, down to nothing. It didn't go powdery or dirty on me first. It just...receeded. I'm not sure how I feel about this scent - which reflects how I feel about patchouli, really - but I think I'll keep it for now and try it again.

Today was the first day I tried this imp. I apply it and I immediately get the patchouli, but it's a little drier and smokier than the patchouli I usually wear...I re-read the description later, and it was black patchouli, which makes sense. I've only tried one of the BPAL ambers before this...and amber appears to like me, which is a good thing! While I'm on my period at least. Being on my period amplifies the amber, because yesterday I wore Golden Priapus, and that was all vanilla and amber.

Four hours later and I'm getting mostly patchouli and amber. None of it has turned into the dreaded powder smell I've heard so many others complain of. Thank God. :P Cinammon usually comes out loud and clear on my skin, I'm suprised I don't smell more cinammon in here, the other stuff must be overpowering it. But I have Bengal for my cinammon fixation, so I aint complain'.

I'm curious to see how the amber will smell when I'm not on my period, so I think I'll give Sin another few tries before I consider getting a bottle.

Verdict: B+

First Sniff: Smells sweet, sexy, like incense.

On skin: Pure sex. Pounding, wild, sweaty, dirty sex. Images of adult bookstores, lace, matted hair, smeared makeup, and sweat come to mind. I don't smell cinnamon, just sandalwood, amber, and a touch of patchouli.

Drydown: You mean it gets better? This fades into a soft, sweet, head-y, still sexy but not slutty scent. It's delicious and I can't stop smelling myself. I smell mostly sweet sandalwood and amber.

This is definitely the scent of sinful deeds. Shady deals in dark alleys and one night stands.

wet: absolutely incredible "dark cinnamon" smell

drydown, extremely powdery dry playdohsville within a half hour :P

I think it's something to do with the amber because Loviatar did exactly the same thing on me. This was a really big dissapointment because it smelled so incredible wet.

In bottle 5/5

On 1/5

imp: mulch and wood, a wisp of cinnamon

wet: *gags*

Sorry sin-lovers, but I just can't handle the black patchouli, and the amber is doing it's usual overwhelming funk on me...Ohhh, this is just so not me and my nose agrees.

Wait!

drydown: cinnamon and warm sandalwood...not bad! Oh, psych...There's the patchouli again.

I definitely have a love/hate thing going on with this one...I just don't know. Very confusing.

*edited to fix html

Edited by maribouquet

In the bottle:

Snake Oil, but a little bit darker.

Wet:

Ooh. I like this a lot. It's Snake Oil, but dustier, peppery, a little bit of cinnamon. It's not as sweet - this is definitely more debauched. Makes me think of a smoky bar.

Dry down:

Zing! It still has the Snake Oil feel, but it takes a totally different approach. I can definitely pick out the sandalwood, patchouli and cinnamon - but the cinnamon is only barely there. The amber is there as an undertone. The sandalwood is probably the most prominent note - I believe this is what gives it the "smoky/dusty" feel, because it's very dry. It's like an old chest you find in the attic and open up to discover a stack of playboy magazines.

Final thoughts:

Dry and peppery but very sexy. It smells very gender neutral on me, but it's still very enticing. I like it a lot.

LOVE. THIS.

Seems a lot of people are comparing it to snake oil - I don't get that at all, though I do like both.

In the bottle: The same gritty, resinous, dark earthiness that I smell in Aureus and Cathedral, and swirling, musky spice.

On skin, wet: Resinous smell dies down, but is still there; patchouli amps up, and cinnamon comes out to play. Fiery, musky, dark.

On skin, dry: ...Smells like sex. No, literally. I get a uncannily realistic, human sexual musk smell, strongly underscoring a dry, spicy incense. I'm guessing this is due to my chemistry's reaction to amber combined with the black patchouli. It is incredibly sexy, calling to mind rough sex in a dark room full of incense smoke - though I must admit, the realism of the sex smell is unsettling!

Over time: Dries down to a drier, fierier scent, the sexy musk not gone but faded to something understated. The cinnamon, which had died down a bit, is stronger again, as is the sandalwood.

This one changes a lot and often on me, but every stage seems to smell just as luscious as the last. And oddly, when the boy tried it on (intrigued by my description of it smelling like sex), it smelled totally different on him, though no less wonderful. His was much less of a sex musk and much more of an intensely fiery incense smell, the cinnamon flaring up on him as the VERY dominant note.