Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Bottle: Spicy amber

Wet: Amber and patchouli with some herbiness that I guess is sandalwood. Oh, there's the cinnamon.

Drydown: I can smell all the notes and it is lovely spiciness. I love this and it will def. be on my big bottles list.

3.5 outta 5

I get the whole dark and sensuous thing with Sin, but I don't like it. I don't know what it is, but it's powdery and ...like bad incense. There is a bit of spiciness, which I've liked with other scents, but there is just something in here that doesn't get along with me.

In the Imp: Sultry Amber with something that reminds me of debaucherous nights.

Wet: Badass, spicy. Loving the Amber/Patchouli/Cinnamon combo. It's dark and sensual. I feel really sexy wearing this.

Dry: Oh wow, so sexy! Still has that sexy, seductive, HOT feel to it. It could work for the guys too. I think that if my boyfriend was wearing this I would not be able to help myself. Very yummy and I get lots of hints of Sandalwood.

Overall: Love it, this screams sexy to me! It's a dark, villainous, eat-you-alive kind of sexy but yes, it's sexy.

4.5 out of 5

There is NO reason I shouldn't like this, and I was so excited to try it - I'm glad I didn't do my usual thing and just nab a 5ml, though. Glad, and sad, because I was so sure this would be perfect on me. I love all the components, I love dark, incensey oils, I love cinnamon and spices, I love burnt scents, so yay!

But, nay.

Wet in bottle: it smells like swirling blackness.

Wet on skin: black patchouli madness.

Dry: it smells like scorched pipe tobacco, and makes the far back of my palate feel dry and itchy. I never got any cinnamon or amber from this, just sticky-heavy black patchouli.

I enjoy black patchouli in other blends, like Tisiphone (one of the bottles in my daily-wear rotation) but the weensiest dab of this has given me a headache.

SO depressing! I wanted so badly to love Sin!

*eta: I just realized what this reminds me of - one of my bottles of essential oil, Texas Cedarwood, Juniperus Mexicana. Same stickiness, itchy-throatness, etc. Don't know why I felt compelled to include that bit of info, but there you have it. In light of this, maybe what's bothering me is the sandalwood? Hmm.

Edited by impassive

In the bottle: The amber, sandalwood and patchouli hit you first and there is a lovely undertone of cinnamon which follows. Very warm and spicy, with a hint of both smokiness and sweetness.

Wet: The cinnamon comes to the front and mingles very nicely with the amber.

Dry: The cinnamon fades away eventually and leaves an intriguing mix of spicy, warm scent, with that hint of sweetness still sneaking around in the background. Someone just told me they can really smell the sandalwood.

Summary: I totally love this and will definitely buy a bottle. It seems to work very well on my skin at all stages.

I like sin, but I get an almost oatmeal with cinnamon smell. I happen to like that, but I really don't think of oatmeal as a sin :P

MMMMM!!!! This is great on me! *does a little dance*

On me this is spicy amber and patchouli. Its a little burnt, its a little dirty, and its REALLY sexy. The sandalwood and amber make it classy, dark, and a little exotic. The cinnamon does not go foody, or even remotely begin to make me feel like a christmas candle, in fact, it gives the whole thing a dangerous flaming spiciness...this the first cinnamon blend that I have loved! The patchouli adds the little bit of rawness and is what I think it is what gives the blend its edge.

All in all, this is a scent I love. I feel like I smolder!! I want a bottle!

Tikva recommended this to me for my first order. I feared it (patchouli is not my friend), so I went with something else. But after I sniffed it at will call, my fear went away.

Imp: amber and cinnamon and something orangey (kind of like Satan and Death)

Wet: spicy oranges. No idea where the orange scent comes from.

Dry: Amber, cinnamon. Maybe a hint of patchouli.

I definitely like this. I'll have to compare it with Satan and Death at some point.

Cinnamon incense burning somewhere......

You hear the thrums of soft melodic music with the constant beat of it in your veins.......

You're behind the curtain in a head-shop engrossed in contortionist sex. :P

That's SIN, plain and simple.

I should have reviewed this one ages ago. I *love* it!

How very odd.

I'm a huge fan of incensey scents, and quite like patchouli, so I thought I would certainly love Sin.

In the imp it smelled very nice and rich and incensey.

On skin? It turned to dusty wood, and rather faint dusty wood, at that. Very little throw on me, and where did the patchouli go? It's just sandalwood with a hint of cinnamon.

*sob*

Going on, this is very incensy and a little headache-inducing (or just making my headache worse). After it's been on a while, though, a kind of woodsy sweetness pokes through (I assume that's the sandalwood). I wasn't sure of this at first, but it does end up being kind of pretty. Not bad.

You're behind the curtain in a head-shop engrossed in contortionist sex. :D

Um. Yeah, what she said! And, it lasts for-EVER... it's still lingering on the cuffs of my husband's hoodie, even after multiple washings. Lucky for me, he thinks it's pretty damn sexxxy :P

Edited by tartchef

I was hoping the sandalwood would make an appearance, but all I got was patchouli and cinnamon. I don't like patchouli, I like cinnamon on occasion, and I love sandalwood. If you like cinnamon and patchouli, you'll like this one, but it's something I'm going to pass on.

On me this is cinnamon and patchouli. It smells okay, but I'm not a big fan of patchouli, so I'm not really enjoying this one. If you like the Lab's other patchouli blends, such as Vixen, Goblin, Midnight Kiss, etc. -- I'm sure this would be an excellent one to try.

2.5/5

absolutely love this so does everyone else who sniffs me! a dark amber/musky scent

and i ordered a bottle

This is good stuff. Sin is mostly black patchouli/sandalwood/amber on me - I'm not detecting cinnamon at all, sadly - and it does have a bit of incense-shop ambiance to it. That said, it's still a seriously sexy scent. Smooth and biting at the same time. Um, uh, yeah, I like it.

This has become my signature scent. Absolutely dark and sexy. When I combine it with Vixen I get compliments all the time. Especially from the opposite sex.

One of the first bottles of BPAL I ever ordered and it remains a favorite of mine to this day. I get lots of warm cinnamon. Absolutely delicious. A friend of mine wore it to a Halloween party - she was dressed as a very sexy vampiress and the scent on her amazing. Sin is sexy and macabre - the perfect combination as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and it gets better with age. I've had my bottle for well over 3 years and it's more fabulous now than ever before. :P

Edited by arachne

This was disappointing. Sin should not be innocuous but that's how I would describe this.

Cinnamon and amber, very gentle. I slathered it a bit at first because I was having trouble smelling it, but that was a mistake because after it sat on my skin it amped up a bit, with the amber stepping up and cutting the cinnamon.

I think the patchoulli and sandalwood engaged in a death match wherein both perished (normally sandalwood goes to powder on me and I was hoping that the patch would keep that in check, but the patch seems to have disappeared in the process). I'm also getting what I have come to think of as "red musk tang," red musk has a tendency to smell like sweet tarts on me in a bad way. That tart note is here, but I have no notion of what is the culprit as red musk isn't listed as a note.

To the swaps with you, Sin.

Ends up smelling very sweet and incensy. Mostly patchouli and sandalwood with cinnamon on top. It smells nice, but not even 20 minutes later, it goes into powder and diaper rash mode. Awww man!

In the bottle – Patchouli pure and simple

Wet on me – Mainly patchouli, with a hint of sweetness underneath

Dry on me – Warm sweet vanilla and cinnamon with the occasional edge of sandalwood

Overall – I love the dry down, but I can’t cope with the patchouli overload that takes place whilst it is wet

Wet on my skin, Sin is patchouli over sandalwood. Nice, but then the cinnamon started to burn so I had to wash it off. Someone else can have this.

Smells rather like I expected it to. In the bottle, smells sweet, open bottle smelled sharp. On skin, it was powerfully sweet, with an undertone of bitterness (shouldn't sin smell like that?). Drydown, the combination of cinnamon and amber are Play-Do-y again. It's very nice, but not me. The scent aura is lovely, but I just don't love the way it smells on my skin.

On me, the cinnamon was the most apparent, and behind that the rest of the amber, sandalwood, and black patchouli just seemed to blend into a musky dark background. In fact, I didn't have the scent notes with me today, and I thought for sure there was musk in this blend.

The whole scent sticks around fairly well, but the cinnamon slowly moves in to be more apparent next to the skin, rather than wafting, over the course of about three hours.