Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All flash and glam: white wine, heliotrope, d'Anjou pear, and lotus.

Wet and in the bottle - incredibly bubble gum sweet.

On - I always forget what's in this one and just revel in it. It's not until I think about it that I can recognise the pear, and frankly that's all I recognise because everything else is so well balanced on me. It's sweet but not sickly, incredibly wearable. I use it on the days when I want something sweet and comforting but not heavy, and I see myself relying on this one heavily in spring and summer.

Gorgeous. Sexy. Big bottle time.

This scent would be perfect for anyone who likes sweet candy'ish smells. When I put it on, it smelled like a cherry tootsie pop to me. After about half an hour it mellowed into what I could only describe as a shiny, red, cherry candy-coated apple. Mmmm.

I'm not really into food scents for wearing, but this really smelled delish. :P

12/9: I've put this on again and now I can really smell the wine. I will have to amend my description to include it. A sparkly, bubbly sweet white wine and a shiny, cherry candy covered apple. I'll still say I'm not into food scents, but I really love this.

Edited by Julilla Regina

Holy cow, this is sweeter than candy. Getting a big whiff leaves the same funny feeling in the back of my throat that you get when you eat too much ultra-sugary sweets. Specifically pixi sticks. I'm a fan of extremely sweet scents but this was too much. This scent does indeed glitter, but I don't get any booze.

It dries down and a vague floral comes out, which gets rid of that nauseating candy smell. It just smells bright and sweet. I don't know if that's the lotus as I don't have any prior experience with lotus, but whatever it is, it made this pleasant. Not for every day, but I'm feeling really fun, this is a good choice.

Glitter was heavy on the lotus on me. The bubblegum had a pear flavor to it, but still the bubblegum from the lotus dominated the scent. I do not get any white wine at all. Unfortunately I don't think this is the pear scent I am looking for, but it well lives up to the glam of its name.

The Lab generously added an imp of Glitter to my last order. I would never have ordered it myself and quite frankly, I was sure I was going to hate it. After going all out with wine-based scents for a few months, I recently found that I had tired of them, so I wasn't really excited about trying another one. Worse, I can't do lotus: it immediately turns to rancid bubble gum on me.

Needless to say, I had very low expectations about Glitter. And needless to say, I was absolutely wrong. This is indeed glittery, sparkly, a little over the top but delicious all the same. The white wine note is a welcome, lighter variation on the headier red wine base of many other oils; it blends perfectly with the lovely fresh pear note.

Glitter smells quite festive to me, an unusual scent if you will, that seems to put me in a bubbly, the-devil-may-care mood. Very uplifting and a definite keeper :P

I really like the lotus/pear combination. This one is a little "louder" than I expected. I thought it was going to be a softer scent from what the description said. But it is as promised "all flash and glam". I like what the white wine does to it, and it may be the heliotrope that gives it the sweet lift that I'm smelling. I really like this scent!

Bottle ~ Warm strawberry bubblegum, as if I'm smelling it on a summer's day. Alrightie, then.

Wet ~ Strawbe- no, wait: cherry and ... something else. Something sharp. Incense? Lemon? Lemony incense? Oh, for crying out loud; cherries and Lemon Pledge?!?

Drying ~ Why is this reminding me of lipstick? Old lipstick? It smells like I'm going through a long-abandoned make-up drawer. *cough*

Drydown ~ The sweetness is coming back as it fades a bit. There's still a minor incensey -- almost chemical -- edge to it, though. fweh.

Dry ~ The sweet and the incense have merged a bit more smoothly, so the chemical, pledge and make-up associations are gone. Waiting longer, it's pretty much died down into something mildly pleasant that may have happened on my skin.

Final thoughts ~ This is so not worth it for me, just for the result of the drydown. I may try again in a few more weeks, just to see if it's a skin chemistry issue. For now, though, this one is just rather foul.

In the bottle: Pear and wine and smething decidely floral although I cannot tell whether it's heliotrope or lotus. A very nice white, clean smell that makes me think of white wine and fruit and cheese. High soceity functions and the like.

Wet: Holy pear bubblegum, Batman. No, really, the throw is completely bubblegum with pear flavoring. I wonder what's causing that? Hmm...Up close I get the wine scent, but it's still really, really sweet. It's not so much floral as it is a really sweet fruit scent.

Dry down: Now more of the floral is coming out. The lotus, I think, because it's this weird, waxy kind of floral. The wine and pear sweetness are still in the front of everything else, though. There's this kind of background scent that makes me a little ill, though. It's like the sweet that covers something decaying. Fermenting fruit. That's what this makes me think of, fermenting fruit covered over with a light floral.

Dry: Fermenting fruit with a slight floral undertone. That decaying fruit smell in the background makes me a little ill, which is sad as I normally love the pear blends. I don't know what makes me so ill in this, but something makes it just too damn sweet. It could simply be my skin. The florals have either turned into the decaying smell or have been eaten by my skin. But, really, I cannot wear this. And now, for some reason, it reminds me of sickly sweet cough syrup. Poor Glitter. I fear my skin has ruined you.

Upon application this was super fruity and sweet. It was light, though. I identified it as some sort of strawberry fruit chew. Clearly the pear was the culprit in this (those things ARE mostly made of pear).

It has been ten hours and I can still smell this one. It is pretty darn long lasting.

It still smells slightly fruity, very bright. It is like a silver flash. It isn't sharp at all, but it does make me think of a lemon soda (it doesn't smell like lemon, but it is fresh and bubbley).

I'm not blown away by it, but I would use it again.

In the bottle: Mmm, pear and alcohol. I'm really starting to love fruity scents, and this scent has definitely fed that growing affection.

Wearing: Mmm, pear and alcohol. The wine doesn't smell too astringent when it's on the skin, just kind of bitter, which of course I love. And...OK, this has to be my mind playing tricks on me, because I smell lime. I think I'm either crazy or thinking of a margarita. Either way, yum! This blend is a vivid light green, for sure.

Later: There's something in this adding a very soft feel to an otherwise tart blend. I think it's the lotus? It still smells like a salty margarita, only with, like, whipped cream or something. It's great, nonetheless.

Overall: Wow. I really dig this. It is quite bright and flashy, but not flamboyantly so. I will probably order more when I'm through with the imp.

Initial Sniff: Super sweet fruity bubblegum. This is not a bad thing.

Wearing: Remember Lik-M-Aid? The white candy sticks that you dipped in the envelopes of tart candy powder? Glitter embodies the sweet chalkiness of the stick and the bursts of tart powder.

Final Impressions: This is interesting... and odd. I'm not sure it's me.

Glitter made me feel like a kid again. It reminded me of Jem and the Holograms. All that glitz, color and fun in a bottle. Off I go to be a rock star.

juicy fruit gum and champagne it is younge and sweet smelling, very summertime fun.stays the sam ein teh vial, wet and dry has quite a bit of throw

In the bottle -- sickly sweet. V. powerful scent

Wet -- smells v. similar to sweet tarts or spree or skittles or smarties. V. candy like.

Dry Down -- still v. sweet but fading down much softer.

Over all -- I really like it....might have to get a big bottle of this one too.

Two words: Children's Tylenol.

For which I love it. :P

Glitter will be a sleeping scent for me, along with Alice and Bon Vivant. They are not scents that I want to wear for others to smell me, but rather, scents that I personally want to smell. They are memory-spiked and soothing for sleep.

For me, Glitter smells exactly like my favorite childhood medicines, the thick pink flu medicine in a brown bottle in the fridge and the tiny pink Children's Tylenol. After a long, hot bath, I like to dab it on my wrists and throat and sleep with my hands by my cheek to inhale the comforting goodness. The smell is light, pink, effervescent, comforting, soft and yes, a bit glittery.

Not a full bottle purchase, but one that i'll save for memory lane and sweet dreams.

On me, Glitter is all sharp, boozy wine and bubblegummy lotus and boy, the combination makes me go "GAAAAAH". At first, it was all warm, sweet pear and wine, but then it all went to pot. I am sad.

Guest ExquisiteSiren

When I smell this I have a irrestiable urge to chew sharp silver shards of glitter.

Gross i know...

but on a brighter note! It does remind me of unicorns and young girls playing with barbies.

If glitter had a smell....this would be it.

Mind you this is not fairy dust...this is cheesy over the top...almost gasp...do i dare say it... perfect for the modern day glitter girl candy kid.

Ugggg.

Not me....but still very very unique...and I will keep an imp just in case i want to have disco inferno in my living room late some night after too many margaritas.....

White wine and a touch of pear and that wierd fruity sweetness that smells like bubblegum on me - which is pretty typical for lotus flowers.

Whoa incredibly sweet in a boozy, bubbley sort of way. This reminds me of a girl all in pink with blonde hair bouncing around - not exactly typical BPAL imagrey. This really was just too sticky sweet for my tastes and I'm sad since I liked the white wine and pear part. Aw well, off to swaps.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I already know I don't like Glitter (it was one of the first BPAL scents I tried, mainly out of curiosity), but since I haven't reviewed it and I've got another imp on hand, I figure I may as well give it a shot and report what I think of it. :D

First sniff:

Lotus, that's why I don't like Glitter, I remember now. To me, lotus smells like bubblegum and I can't tolerate the smell of bubblegum. That's really all I'm getting from Glitter right out of the imp. It actually smells quite similar to Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo to me right at the moment.

Wet on skin:

Bubblegum and white wine. This is what Lolita should have been like - grown up but innocent and childish all at once. Unfortunately, this really isn't my kind of scent, the same way Jailbait wasn't. This is way too bubblegum sweet for me.

Dry down:

Bubblegum and a tiny hint of pear. I might like this if it weren't for the lotus/bubblegum note. I'm really starting to learn that I should avoid any blend with lotus in it, including Kathmandu which I used to love and now can't wear because the bubblegum note is more prominent to my nose now. :D

The bottom line:

Glitter is sadly not for me, but maybe on someone else it would be gorgeous. It's going to have to find a new home.

Glitter

Sniff: Super, bubble-gummy sweet.

On: Still very bubble-gummy sweet. It's lotus + me. Let's see if it'll let anyone else have a shot at coming out in the blend.

After 10: After about 10 minutes, it softens down and quiets down a bit. It's not quite so bubble-gummy. I can detect something like white wine now and a hint of pear.

Impressions: It's certainly an aptly named blend. It could also work if it was called Bling Bling, I think. LOL It's very bright, uber sweet, but there's still something grown up, albeit a bit trashy about it. I think this is sort of what I was hoping Jailbait would smell like. Sweet, but trashy. I like it, but damn, again it reminds me of something. What? Who knows! All in all-it's on the happy list. :P

Glitter

In the Vial: Sweet, candyish.

Wet: Sweet, Cherryish, almost like a Lolli. I can def. Smell the Lotus in it tho..

Dry: Still really sweet, Bubblegummy / Lollipop like... It's definately Glittery too!

Conclusion: I love it. If you like sweet scents and lotuslike scents, this is a good one! It's really nice. I'd like to get a bottle one day :P

Glitter is refreshing and sweet and happy. Wet, it starts out bazooka bubble gum to me, which isn't a bad thing by the way! As it's drying, I get a hint of lemony goodness, not citrussy tart, but soft powdery sweet. Probably the wine and pear...almost like a fruity version of a lemon drop...that sweet lemon sugar that rims the glas of the cocktail. Yum. For a lemony scent (even though i know it's not lemon) I love this!

First sniff from the bottle- Mmmm bubblegum! That would be the lotus I smell.

After 10 minutes- Now the pear is coming through and it a big green juicy pear! After a few minutes longer the sweet pear smell fades down and the heliotrope comes out making this a much warmer, more womanly scent.

After 30 minutes- The fruit and lotus is completely gone and has been replaced by white wine and heliotrope. I do love the smell of sunflowers so this is delightful. It smells of a freshly cut sunflower on the table of a nice restaurant outside on a breezy summer day while sipping white wine.

Summery- This one faded really quickly but I like it a lot. The imp is a keeper.

First impression: strawberry bubblegum (?!?) but with a slightly sharp edge.

10 min later: the same but nearly gone. Apparently my skin eats this one for breakfast. Off to the swap pile this goes.

On me this was milky-nutty-fruity-sweet. It just kept getting nicer and nicer. (I'm beginning to think heliotrope is a big winner note on me - so many of the oils I love seem to have that in them).

I expected glitter to be...glittery - hard edges, mint and lemon sparkle. Instead this is soft and round and comforting and friendly - and definitely bottle-worthy.