Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lurid, licentious, and lucrative: pomegranate, tobacco leaf, patchouli, wild berries, pine pitch, oak-aged vanilla, and pink pepper.

Oh wow. I don't normally like patchouli scents... but my friend got this one, so I tested it anyway. And, WOW!! This is
amazing, really! Spicy and sweet at the same time... and the patchouli? It is blended in so well! I put this on my arm and immediately
wanted to eat it. LOL. and somehow I just lucked out and will be getting myself a partial bottle! I can't wait!!

I got to try this out from a friend who submitted to the Inquisition, and I wanted to steal her bottle. :P Trick 2 is deep, dark resin, a smoky perfume, like burning pine branches outdoors on a fall night. It's sexy yet woodsy; if Druids made aphrodesiacs, this would be their best-selling blend. What an awesome scent.

This blend is predominantly patchouli on my skin, and something is going a little wonky. I can see this being gorgeous with the right skin chemistry, and I might play with it again a few times just to be sure it isn't working. It actually settles down quite well into a nice spicy blend, but the beginning phase of it does not agree with me.

in the bottle: omg goodness, sweet, tobacco leaf, and oak aged vanilla are predominant

wet: seems to be all vetiver, but i notice that is not a listed ingredient, i do tend to amp it so maybe a hint of it is there? i guess it could be the patchouli. but usually i wear patchouli very well, this went almost all pot smoke on me

as it dries it mellows a bit, sweetens a bit, the vanilla tempers it, makes it deeper. it is faintlt pot like, yet very sweet and lovely

In the bottle: tobacco's jumping on me right away, along with something I would think is bourbon or any similar alcohol. Sickening (kinda makes me think of Death of Sardanapal, which is a very bad omen).

On my skin: patchouli (yuk!) and pepper. It actually made me cough (but well, I must admit I have a little cold)… It's really very peppery.

Verdict: certainly not for me.

There's a definite wood in this. And a spicy (almost cinnamon-y fall-like) overtone. Another "not bad scent".

Where Trick #1 is sweeter and more floral... this is spicy and green woods. They're almost complete opposites. Very intriguing when sniffed side by side.

at first: sweet, rich, and earthy.

on: this combination of notes reminds me of deep, dark, rich chocolate. lovely.

1 hour later: still sweet and rich.

5 hours later: a bit powdery, but still dark and rich.

6.5 hours later: faint and powdery.

overall: i really like this. i thought it would be more of a foody scent, but it's not. it's very comforting and rich; perfect for cold days.

Got a sniffie with enough to try from the fabulous eviltemptressdq. :P

<snip> this went almost all pot smoke on me <snip>

Uh, yeah. This basically turned into Cannabis SN on my skin, to the extent that I don't think I could wear it in public! Tobacco leaf and pine pitch seem to be more miss than hit with me. Also, the pink pepper that played so nicely on my skin in Mi-Go seems really loud in this blend. I am so glad I that I had the chance to try this -- too bad it does such curious things on my skin!

Acquired in a trade. :D I'm really glad I did, too.

In the bottle: what in the world is the foody note I'm getting from this?? There's nothing cake-like listed in the notes! Yet the first sniff from the bottle smells like butterscotch! Or peanut buttery booze. Or something. I can smell berries, but it really smells like Thai peanut sauce! lol Bizarre. I've read of other people having that reaction to a note in certain musk blends, but musk isn't an ingredient here. What in the world...

On my skin, the mystery note thankfully vanishes and I can really pick out the pink pepper, patchouli and pine pitch (say it fast five times!) :D As it dries, the tobacco note emerges. Mmmmmm. Sweet! My skin amps florals and sweet notes like crazy, and with this combination of notes I'm glad it does! The vanilla isn't prominent, but it's there keeping the pine/pepper/patchouli from becoming too sharp and strong.

The drydown is spicy, incesnsy pomegranate and patchouli. Yuh-huh-hummmm.

I smell high-grade cannibis buds and smoke almost every day (it's medically prescribed and legal!) and I WISH it smelled this good. Trick #2 is very close to the skin, smoky like bonfires and pipe tobacco, not bongs, and although it's sweet, it's very gender-neutral. I'd love to sniff this on a man's collar! That sweet smokiness reminds me of Devil's Night, in a way.

Very very nice! :P I quite like this one. It isn't something I'd wear in the spring or summer, but it's perfect for autumn and winter, and I'll be happy to decant some for my hubby to wear. I'm guessing it gets even better as it ages, too. Brava, Beth & Co.!

In the bottle - Something medicinally clean and herbs

Wet on me - Something soapy and something quite astringent and chemical. It smells oddly familiar, but I can't quite place it

Dry on me - After a while it dries to a warm sweet spice like patchouli dipped in vanilla ice cream :P .

Overall - I love the dry down, but I don't like the first couple of hours

Edited by Ajila

This one went nutso on me. It turned all to pepper. It almost smells like peppered bacon. What the....?? I don't want to smell like processed meat! *sob*

Trick #2 - This is an extra-special review for me because it's my 1000th BPAL review!!!

This is an incredibly thick and heavy scent. The pepper and patchouli are the dominant notes, but even though I can't distinguish the berries and vanilla as distinctly individual notes, it's obvious they work together to sweeten up the thickness and depth caused by the darker notes like the pine pitch. It's difficult to describe this scent. All I know is that it's very heavy, deep, robust, thick, yet slightly sweet and slightly spicy and very sexy. It’s like nothing I’ve ever smelled before, and while it’s not one I'd wear for every day use, I'm glad I got a bottle of it so I can wear it on occasion. Both the sillage and the staying power are strong and impeccable.

In the imp, this was smoky and dark, but not sharp or unpleasant. On my skin, though, it was all PATCHOULIPATCHOULIPATCHOULIOHGODGETITOFFME.

I scrubbed three times, and I can still smell it, and it's killing my sinuses. Ugh. Not for me.

Bottle: omg patchouli!

Wet: deep, the fruits hint behind the pine. Pine...I used to wander campus and collect the hardened sap to use as incense...it was wonderful stuff.

Dry: the tobacco is noticeable, but not overwhelming. this is dark, and the pepper is...peppery!

Later: and the tobacco has...amped. and made friends with the patchouli in the same way cypress makes friends with patchouli. Oh dear.

:P

At first, all the notes play nicely together - I can pick out fruit, wood, and the patchouli all in balance. After a little while the pepper pops up and demands a short period of dominance. Unfortunately, after the pepper settles down, it's all patchouli. By the time I got to work I had to go wash my wrist to get rid of some of the overwhelming patchouli, but that patchouli still haunted me for the rest of the day.

I was not sure if I would like this; I was a bit nervous about the pink pepper note. But this is just wonderful!!

The dominant notes on me are the tobacco, which comes out very sweet and sexy, the oak vanilla note, which has always been one of my favorites, and the patchouli. This smells like a sexy, deep woodsy, vanilla incensey blend on me. This is extremely seductive, yowsa, as sexy as it gets!

This has medium throw, and although I haven't been wearing it long, I have a feeling it will last a very long time on my skin. This would be lovely on both sexes, but the boy is not getting his hands on mine!! I love this, I am thrilled to have a bottle. :P

In vial: patchouli, pepper, and pine pitch. Very alliterative.

Wet: Tobacco leaf and patchouli. This is rough and dirty.

Drydown: Oh so dirty, but in a wonderful way. There's a touch of everything here: patchouli, tobacco, fruit, and pepper. It's a bit too masculine for me, but still absolutely gorgeous.

This is fun! It's a musty sort of smell at first, until my nose wakes up and says "WOW!" What a lovely scent – this is earthy patchouli and oak wood with a tinge of soft sweetness from the pomegranate, berries and vanilla. The pepper picks things up a bit. Gives it a frisk.

On, the tobacco comes out with the patchouli. I'm not sure at first whether I like this. This is a first; usually the tobacco doesn't smell like "smoker" to me, but this rather does. And there's a piney note there, with the pepper, making this razzy and very busy.

This is dirty, dirtier than Trick #1. I like it almost as much. It's certainly different! I can't help but smell this as though it were a body scent, it's a very personal smell, less a perfume than an odor. It's undeniably sexy, but in terms of something I'd want to smell like, it smells too unwashed. Like, this is how a city werewolf would smell after a night of slumming, going from alley to alley switching shapes, gorging on trash and chasing cats in one shape, then slouching around in seedy bars and f**king his brains out in the other. If Trick #1 stands on the streetcorner advertising hot, filthy sex, Trick #2 sits in the corner and licks its balls.

As it mellows, it's more spicy – the pepper and the fruit smell a bit cinnamony together, and less like B.O. I like it a lot in this phase. It's actually very manly, which I would not have expected at all looking at the ingredients.

In the imp: very dark, rich, treacly woods and oils.

On me, wet: dark rich patchouli and woods and oils, but there's an overtone of dusty pepper now.

On me, dry: rich dark oil and tarriness and dry pepper and hippyish woods. Smells like the rooms of several guys I've known, actually - a faint trace of old aftershave and smoke and incense amidst the oils and woods.

Verdict: well, they weren't guys I *dated*. So, evocative as this is, I think I'll pass it along.

Oh, like Trick #1, this is also glorious! :D

Being an aged bottle, I have no idea how this might have been fresh - but wet, this reminds me so much of Minotaur. It's resinous, dark, smoky and wonderful. The patchouli is earthy without being "dirty hippy", the tobacco is sexy, and the oak and pine are both so mellow.

Drying down, this just gets sexier. It's warm, luscious and heady, with just a hint of the smoked vanilla and pomegranate. Dry the dusty pepper is very faint, and the resinous patchouli holds with none of the doom-powder that ruined Minotaur for me.

SO glad I have a bottle! Both Tricks are just superb, and both SO sexy in different ways. :P

In the imp this is a pleasant berry tinged dark smell, but it all goes awry when applied to my skin. I definitely get the marijuana comparison some have smelled. This is dirty and smelly in a bad way. Pepper and patchouli and they aren't playing nice. I smell a bit like Ajax powder.

Interesting! Wet through initial dry down it totally reminds me of mme moriarty. I tend to amp up anything the resembles tobacco, so it is mainly that but with some fruity undertones. After a little while something goes a little sour and uncomfortable smelling on me.

I was about ready to write this off, but another whiff a couple hours later, and all I am getting is the most wonderful vanilla after everything else burned off.

Verdict - not ready to give this one up yet, may try at another time of the month.

Trick 1 was my first Inquisition verdict and it is absolutely stunning.

In the bottle I get a dark, smoky, and foody mixture. It smells very deep and almost sensual.

On my skin I get a strong cloud of pomegranate, red and juicy. Behind that I can smell a touch of vanilla, which sits on top of the patchouli. This is a swarthy little patchouli and it dominates the blend. Upon application I get the pomegranate and vanilla, and after the patchouli does its thing I get a touch of pine pitch and a berry-like twist.

This is so hard to describe, because in some ways it's mischievous, in other ways it's very refined and elegant (possibly from the quality of the oils used in this), and in other ways this is so damn sexy and naughty.

Good throw, very long wear-length. Like I said, stunning! It gets better as it ages, too!

Edited by alicia_stardust

Ahh, like making out in the woods! Pine pitch, check. Berries, check. Gentle sweetness that must be from the vanilla, and spicy pepper pinking it up. Crispy clean. I agree with 'Gree, it's a perfect scent for cooler weather. Glad I have some, even if it is just a sample.