Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lurid, licentious, and lucrative: pomegranate, tobacco leaf, patchouli, wild berries, pine pitch, oak-aged vanilla, and pink pepper.

I got the #2 Trick scent and it is absolutely gorgeous. It's a little spicy and the vanilla oak is so beautiful with the fruit behind it. The pine pitch seems to sweeten up the patchouli and the tobacco leaf and the end result is just incredible. This is the perfect blend of foody, woodsy, fruity & resins all in perfect harmony.

In the bottle: the tobacco leaf and patchouli roll around in a hazy smoke that is sweetened by the creamyness of the vanilla. Only after a second inhale do I sense the berries and the pomegrante. I must admit this reminds me a bit of Storyville, I suppose that must be the pink pepper and the smoke.

On the skin: It is a spicey, vanilla incense... it's actually very beautiful. The patchouli in it is surprising dark and lovely.

Hooo boy, what a perfect scent for when the weather is turning cold!

On me it smells mainly like patchouli and pine pitch, with some vanilla. There really is a smokiness to it, too. It doesn't smell like firewood burning (the vanilla and slightly fruity sweetness keeps it from smelling like that), but for some reason that's the image I get in my head when I sniff it. A big autumn bonfire with lots of dry wood and leaves on it. Definitely the right scent for a cool, crisp fall day.

Wasn't sure if I would like the pine pitch (Jersey Devil wasn't a fave for me), but I like it a lot with patchouli. It gives the whole scent a great earthy quality.

Fantastic!

Wow! This will be wonderful for winter!

On me, I smell mostly sweet tobacco with a hint of vanilla and a lot of the pepper. The berries are there way in the back lending sweetness, but not anything that is right off the bat noticable.

It smells like hanging out by a fire on a crisp fall evening. I love it so much. Thank you!!!

Trick #2 and Treat #2 were my most coveted blends this year. In the bottle, this smells lightly of the fragrance that I get from Dixie Love Perfume (um, it reminds me a bit of the way that marijuana smells ((kinda spicy and leafy?))). Anyhow, I get that tobacco smell along with a gorgeous vanilla note and hints of pine. I fell in love with the fragrance in the bottle. Tobacco notes are usually awful on my skin, but this one holds some promise.

I love pine blends, and this one is awesome. Voodoo is my favorite scent ever, and this is in the same category with its patchouli, pine and sweet vanilla :P. The spicy tobacco and pepper are also lingering about, and the earthy patchouli comes out in the drydown.

I was worried about the pomegranate, but I don't detect any in this blend. I catch hints of a sugary berry fragrance every once in a while, but there isn't a strong fruity note on my skin.

Trick #2 is a sweet forest blend. It has a pleasant sweetness from the vanilla and berries, so it isn't as dark or overly earthy as I was expecting. This makes me think of playing in an unspoiled forest as the sun sets, with golden shafts of sunlight filtering through the leaves of huge oak trees. The tobacco note is still spicy and reminding me slightly of marijuana, but it takes on a smokiness in the drydown (I normally hate smoke, but it's very sexy here).

Edited by Little Bird

In the bottle, Trick #2 gets a big "mmmmmmm..." for its depth and smoothness. You could simply fall into this scent by sniffing it alone; I can really pick up the oak-aged vanilla in the bottle. On my skin, the pomegranate and pine intially fuse to create a bright scent that for a moment almost seems a bit citrus-like; but that calms down very quickly and everything takes it place within this blend. I find a great similarity to Mme. Moriarty, obviously because of the patchouli and the pomegranate. However, this is how Mme. Moriarty would smell if she was a fortune teller in a secluded cabin in the midst of a dark forest -- the muskiness of Moriarty is replaced by pine, berries and smokiness. This is a beautiful, wonderful fall-winter scent that's very sexy and arousing!

ETA: To me, this scent is the love child of Mme. Moriarty and Golden Priapus. H.O.T.!

Edited by valentina

In the bottle: OMG. It's Storyville with berries. *DIES*

On: On, the initial blast sultry and warm vanilla-musky-sexyness dies back a good bit and everything else begins to come forward. OH GOD this is FUCKING AMAZING.

Even when I feel like the Oakwood might be too much, it gets pulled back. Nothing ever seems to overwhelm the other one. Berries - which can be candy on me - are tempered by the bitterness of the pine. The wood is sweetened by the berry and mellowed by the vanilla. The tobacco is perfect. The pomegranate not too sweet at all - it's tartness is grounded by the pink pepper.

This is flat out amazing. I'm.... completely overwhelmed. Oh god!

:P

n.

In the bottle, the vanilla was very apparent among the other notes, and when it was first applied it was mostly vanilla and patchouli.

This blend is a morpher, though. Shortly after I applied it, the pine pitch came out and it was like sitting in the middle of a pine forest. Then it smelled like there was a cinnamon note in there, but looking at the list of components I don't see any cinnamon, so maybe that was the pink pepper? At any rate, it became spicy and somewhat... fizzy? Seriously, it was very bubbly and effervescent (sp?).

Now, about an hour after I applied it, it's become slightly berry and a dusty scent like the tobacco leaf and the patchouli is back.

This is a lot of fun, and I'm very glad I got this blend because every phase of its morphing has worked great with my skin chemistry. Love it! :P

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: :P

In the bottle: Tobacco, patchouli, pine, and a lovely vanilla.

On skin, wet: Sweet, fruity, dark woody vanilla. The patchouli, woody vanilla, and pomegranate are the dominant notes while wet.

On skin, dry: The pine in this apparently likes to play games with me. Dry, this is a predominately oaken vanilla, with wafts of tobacco, pomegranate, and surprisingly-wonderful patchouli every now and then. Every once in a while, the pine jumps up to say hello, taking me by surprise in an unpleasantly strong way. Then, it backs off again, and I'm in love with Trick II once again. I don't notice any similarity to marijuana, nor have any of the people that I've asked.

Conclusion/Notes: I really, really like Trick the Second. It's a wonderfully woodsy, fruity, earthy, oaken vanillic scent. I'm definitely happy with the Post's choice of Tricks!

Edited by Aredhel

Trick #2 is absolutely stunning. This is an instant top favorite, and i haven't had one of those come along in a while. The sweetness of berries and/or pomegranate, the patchouli, and i think the vanilla are most prevalent for me. The sweetness is at a perfect level - understated yet speaking up. I get something that seems almost nutty from this though, and i wonder what i'm smelling - maybe it's the oak-aged aspect of the vanilla? No idea. In any case, i'm extremely picky about my vanillas and this one blends perfectly and does not overwhelm everything else. This scent manages to be foody (a category i'm not often a fan of) w/out hitting you in the face with foodiness - for me it's just that wee bit of nuttiness combined with the sweet that gives it the food aspect, but it's so well-rounded with the tobacco and patchouli that it's not all that's there. In short - love it, love it, love it.

I admit, I was secretly hoping I would get this one in the inquisition, and even peppered my plea with a couple of words hinting at my love of berries and woods, but at least I got to sniff this!

In the vial it has a surprisingly foody feeling to it. I forgot about the "oak-aged vanilla" which along with the pepper gives it a little bit of a savory, slightly burnt bit of baked good to it. But just a BIT. It's predominantly an earthy pine like Jersey Devil (pine pitch) with thick, rich red Christmas berries.

Really, this smells a lot more like a Yule blend than one released around Samhain. A bit of the Jersey Devil in it, and a healthy dose of the sort of sweet smoke that I get in Devil's Night.

It loses some of that vanilla/pepper kitchen aroma and becomes more of a smoky, earthy/woody Christmas candle.

Because I love EVERY note in this SO much I feel like I should try to swap for a bottle, but I think my pine/berry needs might be filled by Jersey Devil and the upcoming Yule blends. Fortunately, while I love this, I think I probably won't absolutely die if I don't get a full bottle -- if I can at least secure an imp I know I'll have it around when I need something a little deeper, richer and smokier in my berry-pine repertoire.

:P Damn you for your dark, vanilla/pomegranate blends that love me that are f***-ing LE's!!!!

I loooove this! Dark, juicy, sweet pomegranate and deep woody vanilla! UUUUUUGGGGHHH! The pine and patchouli do really play so well together with the smokiness of the tobacco. It smells to me like a Pagan orgy: Naked bodies dripping with fresh, exotic fruits dancing around a bonfire in a clearing in the forest.

Divinity! :D

Edited by lookingglass

I am utterly bummed by Trick #2. Reading the glowing reviews above, I curse my skin chemistry even more for it's weirdness with pine that is not just plain pine (pitch, bark etc). As with Organ Grinder this just went horribly wrong. There is this scent in both, which isn't in the bottle, that appears as it dries on my skin that smells like death-mixed-with-a-hint-of-pine. Not so good. So many good notes in this ruined by that horrible DeathPine scent. I can smell them, but the other scent is just too strong and stomach churning. Oh well, 3 out of 4 isn't too bad.

As someone else mentioned above, I found this surprisingly foody at first sniff - my initial thought was "it's a fruity Devil's Night!" (since Devil's Night smells mostly like naughty snickerdoodles on me). On skin the complexity comes out- there's still something reminding me a little of DN, probably the combination of the vanilla/tobacco/patchouli, but it's got a rich dark spicy fruitiness lurking underneath, rounding it out. Gorgeous, just gorgeous! I had initially thought I wanted Trick #1 more, but I obviously got exactly the right thing!

Trick #2-

In Bottle: Resinous and warm. I can smell the hint of vanilla in there too.

Wet: Oh, my. That pine-like resin and the vanilla are delicious! It's almost like there's caramel under this.

Dry: This is definitely pretty; it is not very long-lasting on me, and I do not love it as much as I love Old Dublin, of which this reminds me a lot, but it's nice.

Overall: Yummy scent.

This is my first review and I realize I suck at them. so bear with me, please. :P

Yum, holy cow, yum. On my skin it reminds me of Scherezade and I'm not sure why. None of the scent components are the same- hmmmm strange. Although Trick #2 is not as sweet as Scherezade.

It's dark, resinous, wicked and sensual. I can pick out the patchouli, dark berries and a hint of vanilla. It's a beautiful, non-dirty hippy patchouli. I don't smell the pine pitch, which is good because pine = uber yuck on me, or the pink pepper.

All I can say is YUM! :D

I too was surprised by the foodiness that hit me straight out of the bottle......This is such a well blended oil that I find it quite difficult to identify the individual notes.......I can if I sniff for them though, but the throw is really nicely blended.

It's an earthy blend with the berries and pine giving it a freshness and with the vanilla sweetening it up a little.......

I really love it and I'll cherish my bottle! :P

edited because of spelling error( I'll bet there are more though )

Edited by gaai

In bottle: musky fruit

On skin: morphing, woo! Berries that appear and disappear almost immediately, and then the tobacco leaf takes over. These seem like "raw" leaves, freshly cut and already hanging up. Then it sweetens up with the pomegranate. So weird, the dramatic changes of this one

Half-hour later: it's calmed down considerably, but it's creamy and sweet and musky and earthy at the same time. No strong pine, thank goodness

In conclusion: I made a plea to be Tricked, because both oils sounded great with one exception in each: Trick #1 had black leather and Trick #2 had pine, and both of these have overpowered blends in the past. Trick #2 is so beautifully blended, however, and I'm pleased to have this bottle. :P

i guess part of being Naughty means you don't get what you want...

i wanted Trick #1...

berries, pine and pepper are evil. pomegranate usually is bad as anything other than fresh fruit or juice, and i'm learning that tobacco is hit-or-miss on my skin.

the lab's vanilla is more often than not..... just not. (on me)

and patchouli? i don't think my bottle got any :P

so, with that said, we bring you: peppered pomegranate berries with rotting pine, wrapped in stale tobacco.

.... i'm reviewing this in all of the *blech* glory in case anyone else out there gets what i get, so they don't feel alone.

off to swaps!

hmmm, this one's a confusing blend.

At first, it's all damp swampy leaf - the patchouli I suspect. I got the same impression at first sniff of Mme Moriarty.

But once it dries and settles, I get the grownup-ness of this scent. I'm catching whiffs of spice, the pepper I'm sure. I'm also catching sweetness.

Yes, definitely grown up and definitely sexy. I'm just not 100% sure it's for me. I'll have to try it again when A- I'm not wearing Dorian to compete for my attention and B- when I don't have a half-blocked sinus and can smell properly.

ETA: BLECH! PINE!! *sigh* off it goes. Hmmmm, wonder what Trick #1 smells like...

Edited by Gypsybaby

Oh, wow...in the bottle, this is a very rich, complex dark sort of scent, which carries over to the skin, but with the vanilla and the fruit, the pine pitch and dark woods are very nicely balanced. And that shot of sweet patchouli just gives the perfect kick. I am loving this. Lovelovelove!!!!! Thanks Puddin!!!

Trick #2

In the bottle: hmm, this reminds me of one of the Harvest Moons. It's a grainy, fruity, autumnal scent. I smell pomegranate, berries, and pale wood-probably oak, and a 'wheaty' scent.

Wet on skin: now the tobacco comes out! And so do the oak, and the pepper, and the pine!

Dry on skin: mmm, this is really good stuff1 the tobacco is the strongest note at first, swaggering by with it's smoky dryness, with the fruity, red scent of berries and pomegranate following it. there's the spicy bite of pepper and a lovely woodsy backing of oak with the tiniest touch of vanilla, and a bare whiff of pine needles and patchouli. This is a lovely, dark scent which really smells autumnal to me.

After a while: the smoke in here is like that of a bonfire, and there's something here that reminds me of Devil's Night but darker, warmer, less sweet and fruitier, more burnt as well. There are times where I'm worried it may smell too burnt or masculine but it doesn't seem to be, so far. There's a lot more oak now, it's a greenish oaky note too, but not as much vanilla as I expected. The berries and pom are very nice here, adding a fruity touch, and the pepper note is fantastic.

Eventually the scent's grainy scent it had when wet returns, along with more pomegranate (and what a lovely pomegranate, so real smelling), and the berries, tobacco and oak, and now, autumn leaves! This smells like the final harvest, the night at the end of all the reaping of fruits and crops, the fallen leaves, and the bonfires lit to bring light and warmth to the lengthening cold nights. Now I smell something almost reminiscent of Hunter Moon to this-I have no idea why but it has the same feel to it.

Verdict: this is a fantastic example of a 'non-traditional' autumn scent, in that it doesn't contain the usual notes of pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, cloves etc, but it seems to fit autumn more than any other season. I think it's the combination of smoke from tobacco, with crackles of pepper bringing to mind sparks from a bonfire, with berries, pomegranate and woods and a warm patchouli earthy base binding everything together and a scent of dry leaves scattered all over. It also reminds me of Harvest Moon, but darker-like HM is daytime, and this is night time, the end of the harvest. It seems very fitting for Halloween as well, I think. There's a lovely warmth to it which is gorgeous, like being close to a roasting bonfire on a cold night, with the smells of autumn fruit, woods and foliage all around. It's not one that makes me want to scour Ebay for a second bottle, but I love the feeling this gives and the images it brings up, and the bottle will be kept and cherished.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Definitely. I can't wait to see how it ages too.

If you like this, try: Harvest Moon, Devil's Night

In the bottle: Pink pepper, faint woods, and berries. Very promising.

On: Well, so much for that! Trick #2 smells very nice, but it is overwhelmingly masculine on me. I don't get any vanilla, pomegranite, or berries on my skin. What's left is pine, patchouli, and pepper. Pepper is a note that I have trouble with, and here it adds a nauseating (I mean this literally and not to offend; the pepper makes me queasy) note to what would otherwise be a nice, if masculine blend.

Drydown: Trick #2 fades into a nice woodsy patchouli blend, but it's still too manly for me to wear.

Very odd. I was expecting to love this one, hoping I wouldn't get Trick #1, but I like that one worlds better.

Pine pitch and tobacco leaf, with berries and a bit of sweetening fruit. It's beautifully blended and evocative of a forest without the harsh sharpness of most 'forest' scents.