Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Ace of Cups

I love Cherry Icees, but I'm worried about the aquatic floral drydown that everyone is mentioning with this one. I don't think that I have ever successfully worn and loved an aquatic floral before in my life.

First on - Yup. Cherries. They smell kind of boozy on me though. Maybe a spiked cherry icee. After a half hour or so this starts to smell slightly bubblegummy, so maybe there is lotus in this. Cherry bubblegum. I'm actually liking this so far.

2 hours later. I forgot that I was wearing this for a while. It's gone very very light on me, and now it just smells sort of soapy. The best I can say to describe it it 'some sort of floral soap'.

I doubt that I'll wear this one much.

Wow, what on earth does this smell like?

I think it's like alcoholic fruit cocktail. Cherry and boozy?

There's something really stinky underneath it though and I fear it's getting stronger.

Ahhh cherry cherry cherry cherry.

As it dries I am getting flowers but it's really light, soaking into my skin quickly.

It's a stinky floral, perhaps a jasmine /iris blend.

Yeuuuch!

Almonds -- toasted almonds... smoky almonds... bitter, smoky almonds over aquatic florals. The almonds have a cherry note when they first go on, then settle into smoky nuttiness. And after a while, some aquatic notes and florals come up beneath it all.

Ace Of Cups has a similar feel to me as Red Devil, and it shares floral components with Sacred Whore of Babylon, Amsterdam, Danube, and Anubis.

Ace of Cups

In the imp: maraschino cherries. Maybe with almond and lotus?

Wet on skin: yeah, this is lotus alright, with just a little bit of cherry-almond.

Dry: this is lovely…it’s a fruity, bright, sweet, cherry-lotus scent. It reminds me a bit of Glitter, I think. This is a very nice scent, sweet and candy like, pleasant and youthful. There’s a hint of another floral in there that I recognise but I can’t place.

After a while: this now smells less like cherries and more like sugar coated flowers. It’s sweet but not tooth aching or cloyingly so…the flower notes are very nicely bonded now in this scent-I’m not sure what’s in this but I’m pretty sure that lotus is the main note. Am I the only one who gets uber-lotus here? (that's a good thing, I love lotus, because this floral is lovely on me and lasts aaaaaaages) It seems apt for a card that’s so connected to water to have a lotus scent.

Verdict: this is such a lovely scent! At first it’s like maraschino cherries, but then the lotus comes out and the scent becomes a sweet, bright floral, it has a candy like feel to it without being too sweet…it reminds me of another lotus BPAL, probably Glitter. This is a gorgeous feminine scent, light, youthful and sparkling.

Ace of Cups

Cherry, cherry cherry. Light cherry with a hint of something else behind it that is slightly herbal and quite plasticky.

At first the cherries were overwhelming, but not particularly off-putting--in fact, I was instantly eight years old again and clutching a whole bag of cherry sourballs.

The sour-sweet edge mellowed very quickly, and in the end I was left with a sweet, warm scent, something far more complex than I would have expected from the first note. I found myself falling in love with this scent, and once it had settled it lingered for hours.

Not so with Red Devil. I know t3andcrumpets suggested that these two scents have a lot in common; literally, I tried a wrist-by-wrist comparison. At first whiff they do have that bright cherry-sweetness. But on me Red Devil is gone within two hours, while Ace of Cups is still a full, rich scent.

I wasn't planning on ordering any of the tarot oils until I received this as part of a sale lot; now I'm thinking this one is part of my top five! :P

Fruity. Reminds me a bit of Juicy Fruit gum, but there’s a creaminess behind it. It’s a sweet scent. There’s a floral scent to it as well, but I don’t know which one.

This one is sweet in the bottle, there's a berry in it that reminds me of some sort of candy that I feel incredibly daft for not being able to name. On me wet, however, this gets a rancid note to it... sickly sweet and there's a hard wood note in there, as well as musk? Incense? Hmm... Dry, this is all incense and powder. Ugh. This just gets all dusty and soapy on me as it warms up. This is depressing!

Sweet in a fruity-medicinal kind of way. Some note here doesn't care for me, as it's getting very sour and unpleasant. There must be jasmine here - there is sickly-sweet floral ampage afoot.

ADDED August 29:

Fruity sweetness, with underlying pale floral. I'm not sure which floral, but it seems to be one I amp considerably.

This started out smelling strongly of cherry, which had me a little worried; would cherry notes turn sickeningly sweet on me like cherry blossom does? Over time, this settled into a scent that I can only describe as mellow and warm. When I sniffed my wrist, I felt calm and loving. I'm no good at picking out individual notes! I like this one a lot.

rating: 4/5

Ace of Cups

Another frimp from the lab (THANK YOU!!!)! And this is a beautiful blend in a cherry kind of way.

In the bottle and wet on my skin this oil screams CHERRY! ALMOND EXTRACT! and MARASCHINO CHERRIES! Which scared me a bit since I did not like Kabuki. Reminded me too much of my highschool bathroom where the aroma of cherry scented cleaning liquid was enough to knock you out. :P

But the Ace of Cups morphs into this beautiful fruity/floral concoction that reminds me of Mi-Go Brain Cannister. Yeah, it's Mi-Go with cherries. With so many fruits and flowers it's hard to pinpoint any one note except for the cherry, which is thankfully muted enough to blend into the crowd.

This is a beautiful well blended oil!

This is fresh, fruity, red and warm. It reminds me of Mi-Go too. It's very pretty, very sweet and has a good throw.

In the imp: cherry-almond, but not marzipanish - very very strongly cherry.

On me, wet: cherry cherry bakewell cherry sweet cake cherry cherry RAR. And some more cherry.

On me, dry: a slightly creamier cherry, over a powdery floral. After a while, soapy cherry-tinged florals, so I assume there's lily or jasmine in here.

Verdict: mrm, I don't forsee myself returning to this scent - I don't think cherry soap is my thing. Off it goes.

Ace of Cups - In the vial, I smell a sweet, aquatic lotus. However, as soon as the oil touches my skin, it's evident that there's jasmine in this blend. It must just be a hint of jasmine because, although it's the dominant note on my skin, it doesn't amp up and take over my life, as jasmine usually does. I can still smell the sweet, bubblegum-like note of lotus and a light aquatic behind the jasmine. Unlike the majority of reviewers, I do not smell any cherry at all. None. Despite not liking jasmine much at all, I really like this blend. It has definitely surrpised me. It's very sweet-watery and floral, and just really, really lovely. The throw is above average, yet not heavy and the wear length is a little more than average, as well.

In the bottle: Cherry floral.

Wet: Hell-OO flowers. It's like a neon sign it's got so much throw. Oh, and there you are cherry. Indoor voices, scents, you don't have to smell so loud over the other. Don't talk my nose off.

Dry: Well, the cherry actually stayed...usually my skin sucks it up, but this time it stays. It's a little more balanced, but this is definitely one of those "little goes a long way" scents...it's pretty loud, and I just dabbed it on. I think a good slather could take out the neighborhood :P . I think it's this "perfumey" undertone that's just beneath the cherry floral that's the loudest...but the more it dries, the more I like it. I think it represents the Ace of Cups well...the fertile beginnings of emotions, life. It's just very, very aggressive!

Creamy almonds and cherries.

I don't like almonds or cherries, so this is obviously not for me, but I'm sure cherry-lovers will be delighted.

In the imp: ohh, cherries.

On the skin: sweet cherries, maybe a bit like Ludens. Now there’s some almonds. As it wears, I can smell lotus and jasmine, tempering the cherries/almonds. There’s a touch of spiciness here and it’s very warm smelling. There could be a touch of dragon’s blood here too. After it’s been on a bit, it’s best described as warm, resinous and spicy. Yum.

In vial: Lotus! Wonderfully appropriate for water; I've been looking for another good lotus scent. And...maraschino cherries? A sharp, fruity, alcoholic note.

On me: Sharp faint sweet lotus with lots of complexity behind it. As it dries further it gets a bit musty. There's something slightly aquatic, but not the evil kind of aquatic that turns to rotted flowers on me. There might be jasmine in this? It's similar to Muse on me, dry (I get absolutely no lime from Muse, for the record).

I think I like the wet better than the dry...dry, I might as well be wearing Muse, which is nice, but not really a favorite. I adore the sweet wet lotus stage, though, so I may try it in a diffuser. It doesn't seem to have much throw, but I'm surrounded by an incredibly faint nimbus of lotus and jasmine that's quite lovely.

I'm surprised I don't see more reviews complaining (or just mentioning) this going to powder on them, because it went straight to cherry powder on both me and the boy.

In the vial, it smelled like cherry cough syrup. (This didn't worry me though, as anything with a cherry note tends to smell like cough syrup in the bottle to me.) On, it immediately took on a soft powdery note that was discordant with my idea of the water element (though there was a juiciness underneath that made me suspect it wasn't meant to go powdery like that.) Cherry was dominant, and though I smelled other things, I couldn't really pick them out and name them. It had a mysterious and unexpected "hot" quality - like Ace of Wands, but not quite as extreme. The heat made my heart beat faster.

Overall: smells rather like cherry scented carpet refresher powder. Eh. :\ I'm a little disappointed with this one.

I just got around to testing an imp I've had for a while, and oh how I wish I got the lovely cherry so many others smell. To me, this is medicinal and almost smokey. I coughed and put it away.

in the imp: lotus and almond.

wet on skin: more of the same, the both being very well balanced, neither overpowering the other.

dry down: lotus is winning, but not in a super-overpowering way.

in all: this is not the "watery" scent i had feared. whoever said this is more about what the card implies hit it perfectly- this is a scent that's all about the emotional aspects of the Cups suit, and the spirituality that springs forth from that place. this is something i would wear when meditating on relationship issues OR when going to practice yoga. it's beautiful and balanced in a non-aggressive way, just like it's suit.

:P

This one smells like a cherry icee! Definitely get cherries, lotus, perhaps a hint of almond and a hint of jasmine. As it dries, I definitely get more of the almond/jasmine going on. On wet, it was very 'watery' and very cherry.

Interesting, but not for me.

Cherry syrup at first with an undertone I only get from narcissus when I first put it on. The cherry fades pretty quickly, leaving aquatic florals which are nice but not a favorite blend of them. As zankoku_zen stated above - "interesting, but not for me".