Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

Oooh, I'll definitely have to remember this list for my next order. This is my first ever desert summer as a resident and I'm stuck trying to deal with it as best I can. I swear southern Arizona is only a hop and a skip from the Sun itself, sometimes. :D

Hope you figure out what's going to work for you, babykitty...I feel for you. :P

How about trying Pikaki? Although sweet, it is so tropical I think it might suit. I loved it so much I have ordered a 5ml and by the same token Pele. I haven't tried this yet, but it is the first oil I have ordered a 5ml without previously trying an imp. The Hawaiian white ginger in it sounds perfect to me. Maybe it would give you a slightly less sharp crispness with tropical flowers.

Well, I've been wearing Alice a lot ever since the temperature began to rise. While it isn't "crisp," its creamy/powdery scent makes me feel cooler, as if I took a cold milk bath and then dusted myself with a moisture-absorbing body powder.

Scents I haven't yet tried, but think sound lovely for hot weather wear:

Banshee

Baobhan Sith

Circe

Cordelia

Delirium

Desdemona

Endymion

Fae

Forbidden Fruit

Jezebel

Juliet

Katharina

Kuang Shi

Kumiho

Lolita

Maiden

Muse

Ophelia

Pandora

Pele

Rosalind

Siren

Storm

Szepasszony

Tempest

Titiana

Yuki-Onna

Zephyr

From that list, some have already been recommended, so they must be appropriate. Good luck!

Edited by riddel

Thank you everyone!!! I finally narrowed my list down & placed an order--although after re-reading this thread, there are so many others I forgot to look up! Rats!!!

Here's what I ordered:

Lightning

Pele

Ouija

Shattered

Storm

Tempest

Whitechapel

Tears

Lucy's Kiss

Spellbound

Baobhan Sith

Kumiho

Phobos

Cheshire Cat

The Dormouse

The Unicorn

Katharina

The Star

Hopefully, some of these will work great & aren't too heavy, yet long lasting on me. I also impulse purchased some June Gloom--hopefully they still have some.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! thanks again for everyone's recommendations!

Your Pal,

Babykitty

I'm looking to do warm weather scents. I loathe wearing florals when it's hot out, they give me a giant throbbing migraine. I HATE (and I cannot stress that enough) Patchouli. However I do like Snake Oil.

This is my next order so far...

Vixen

Old Morracco

Scherezade

Would you caution or suggest any others?

Neo Tokyo is nice and cool, and Tarot: the Star is way summery.

Vixen is pretty strong, so I'd apply sparingly.

Whitechapel and Embalming Fluid are light, pretty citrus scents.

Zephyr smells very blue and fresh to me.

Envy Envy Envy...I really haven't tried a more deserving "spring/summer scent."

It's all sharp green, mint, and tiny, tiny bit of floral (it's not like a stinky flower like rose or gardenia, more like something which grows out in the woods or fields, can't think of what it reminds me of). It totally conjures up my childhood of running around in the woods during the warmer months.

Machu Picchu is a sweet, semi-spiced fruit blend, not bad for the warm months...umm..Katharina was horrible in the drydown on me, but before that it was a beautiful apricot. Whitechapel is like lightly powdered lemon candy. Neo-Tokyo reminds me of "guest soap" (don't ask) in a fresh way. Akuma is like gummi fruits to me....

Dunno how helpful my suggestions are...I prefer greenery and fruits for summertime, Envy fills that capacity for me, but I still haven't found the *perfect* fruit scent.

Edited to add: Envy doesn't go wonky on me in the least (unlike the vast majority of the other blends tried).....*but*, I did forget to mention I have to re-apply often. Damn stuff completely disappears on me within a couple of hours.

Edited by Sara

I think all the following would be appropriate for summer:

The Apothecary, Bathsheba, Dirty, the Lion (if you like amber), Shanghai, Kumiho, Absinthe, Van Van Oil, Whitechapel and Xiuhtecuhtli.

I won't suggest Envy because the scent goes seriously wonky on me, but your mileage may vary.

Sheila has an excellent point....Vixen is double strong on patchouli, and specifically lists it as a note.

You may wish to eschew a purchase of that particular fragrance.

Scherezade definitely has patchouli in it. It's odd because every other BPAL blend with patchouli in it hasn't worked for me. But Scherezade is totally wonderful!

ETA: Vixen is also quite a potent patchouli scent, as others have suggested.

Edited by Pookstrell

Scherezade definitely has patchouli in it. It's odd because every other BPAL blend with patchouli in it hasn't worked for me. But Scherezade is totally wonderful!

ETA: Vixen is also quite a potent patchouli scent, as others have suggested.

It's wierd, I can't remember why I swapped my bottle of scherezade to begin with...i loved it. So I think I may reorder a bottle of that while it's still spring and i can get away with florals. Vixen I'm curious about. Very curious about. Worst case senerio I can always swap her out.

Shanghai =) Tangy lemon candy, refreshing green tea, and a touch of honeysuckle...like wonderful sweet water! :P

I'm tossing in (another) vote for Embalming Fluid, and one for Dirty...

Dirty just smells clean and wonderful :P I wore it to a Habitat for Humanity project (digging in the sun) and still smelled tolerable after six hours of sweat.

Edited by Digital_Hypoxia

In addition to those scents already mentioned, I like Dorian, Loralei, Tarot: The Lovers (neroli goodness) & believe it or not, Tombstone for hot weather.