Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

I know I'm a bit premature here, but we're off to Orlando in June and I'm already thinking about what to take with me :oops:

Obviously it will be really hot so I want something light and fresh.

Thinking about it more though, is perfume a good idea in hot, sticky weather? Perhaps not. :P

How do those of you in warmer climes approach your perfumes?

I'm going to New Orleans in May and I'm already trying to figure out which oils to bring so don't feel bad, you're not alone. Obviously, I'll bring Old New Orleans but I'm trying to figure out what scents will be good with heat and humidity too since I don't usually have to worry about that in Seattle.

Phantasm is gorgeously light and springy and fresh, a very soft lemon. I suspect I'll be wearing it a lot this summer when it gets insanely hot and muggy.

Ingenue strikes me as a light spring scent too - it's a very pretty floaty floral with melon.

I haven't tried Embalming Fluid, but that one sounds promising.

How long are you staying in May Nic? The humidity's so not awful from early to mid May. It's something that accumulates throughout the summer until hurricane season hits in the fall. So the earlier you come in the summer, the better off you'll be. August is a hellish in terms of humidity. Walking from the car to a building can make you start sweating. It was a trial trying to move my stuff into the dorms in August both years I was there.

Circe might be nice.

From the site:

An incomparably enticing blend of intoxicating aquatic scents and florals.

The florals smell like white flowers to my nose. Maybe some waterlily as well? It doesn't seem like the kind of scent that would become too potent in the heat.

How long are you staying in May Nic?  The humidity's so not awful from early to mid May.  It's something that accumulates throughout the summer until hurricane season hits in the fall.  So the earlier you come in the summer, the better off you'll be.  August is a hellish in terms of humidity.  Walking from the car to a building can make you start sweating.  It was a trial trying to move my stuff into the dorms in August both years I was there.

Actually I'm going the end of April so I'm hoping it will just be a nice warm escape from the Seattle "Spring". I'm going for Jazz Fest and to meet my beau's family who live there. I'm glad to hear that the humidity won't be as bad as I thought - I can deal with heat since before moving to Seattle two years ago, I spent most of my life in Phoenix. I'm just not used to any humidity. I discovered in Key West last year that most of the heavier perfumes I wear just don't work well in humidity and light florals just aren't me. I'm checking out some of the fruit and tea blends to see if those might work.

I wore Queen Mab yesterday, and although it wasn't as hot as Orlando in June, it was surprisingly warm out and I was wearing many layers and walking very quickly to get to Lush and then back to my car asap. Phew! Anyways, I got rather sweaty and I could sure smell my perfume, and it was just gorgeous! I think just about any scent that you enjoy would be good, but I would chose light floral over deep woodsy in the heat...

Jenny :P

Oberon might actually be a decent one to wear when it's hot. It does have that deep woodsy thing going on, but it's very fresh and cool rather than stifling.

If you're not into light florals. :P

Actually I'm going the end of April so I'm hoping it will just be a nice warm escape from the Seattle "Spring". I'm going for Jazz Fest and to meet my beau's family who live there. I'm glad to hear that the humidity won't be as bad as I thought - I can deal with heat since before moving to Seattle two years ago, I spent most of my life in Phoenix. I'm just not used to any humidity. I discovered in Key West last year that most of the heavier perfumes I wear just don't work well in humidity and light florals just aren't me. I'm checking out some of the fruit and tea blends to see if those might work.

Oooh Jazzfest is fun. Great food too. Tons of varieties of Gumbo are made since Jazzfest is also a sort of heritage festival. New Orleans period has wonderful cuisine. I never ate better than when I lived there. And you should have good weather at the end of April. Probably in the low to mid 80s (which is perfect to me), maybe a bit humid, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm in Oklahoma, where the humidity never seems to drop below 80%. I've got a new list of summer scents, and some of these might work for the trips to New Orleans and Florida.

The Apothecary (I am completely in love with this scent! I ordered more less than 4 hours after getting the sample, if that tells you anything)

Othello

Old Glasgow - bright, crisp heather on swaying grass

Old Shanghai - sparkling lemon and tea, among other things

Lightning

Embalming Fluid

Geez...now that it's officially hot in Central Texas (& will be until probably October) AND I got a little too crispy at the pool today I really want order something cool, crisp, refreshing, lovely & soothing! Is there anything "juicy" out there?

Nothing too sweet--I had Bliss on earlier & while lovely in the AC, as soon as I was outside I smelled like a fresh baked chocolate cake--making me feel even more heat oppressed.

So what to get??? I desire something that will last a good while...I have Embalming Fluid which I find nice, but something else that's a little less sharp (I think it's the green tea in it)

Any thoughts???

Phantasm is my favourite wear-when-it's-too-muggy-to-be-legal scent. Phobos might be even better - it's cold on me rather than just crisp.

Blood Rose is very juicy, but I wouldn't call it refreshing. Do you like mint? Pain or Mad Hatter might be worth a look. Cheshire Cat is very juicy and since it tends toward citrus it's more what I'd think of wearing in the heat.

Let us know what you pick!

I would recommend Chesire Cat, if you're not going to do much sweating. I wore it one night that I went to work out, and man, did it turn on me to be super icky!

I second Embalming Fluid. Kumiho would also be great, or Arkham, though it's a bit more masculine, but very light and refreshing. Baobhan Sith is also a nice summery, light citrus floral.

I dunno... I'd stay away from anything with musks or resins in it, just because those seem to make a scent heavier...

Have you tried Tears or Tempest? Both of those are really crisp, fresh scents, although not juicy. If you can get your hands on Snow White, that's a really great scent...perfect for what you want. Otherwise, how would you feel about a floral with some juicy notes in it? Perhaps Muse, Endymion, or Delirium? I've found that anything with white florals in it seems a lot less heavy to me than the normal florals...

Anyhow, those are just some thoughts.

in the same way that old skinny puppy records make it feel ten degrees cooler in the room than it actually is, bpal "ultraviolet" works for me.

this may be all psychological: since it smells like cold dark sharp things, making me THINK of same, i feel colder. (and presumably darker, sharper, etc. heh.)

my $.02 - though as an alternate i will second the "arkham" vote -

best

eve

My 'cool' scents right now are Old Shanghai and Embalming Fluid. Anything else is just too cloying or sweet, and some are downright oppressive.

I look forward to trying Ultraviolet though .. sounds delicious. I like the mintyness of Mad Hatter so I'll have to try that one.