Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Satan And Death With Sin Intervening

Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

This started out a bright tea scent, with hints of orange blossom (not powdery or soapy at all), and over a period of 45 minutes, became a warm, dry, resinous blend. It lasted a few hours. I love the tea note, and the dry resins are nice too. I was expecting it to sceam MAN at me, but it didn't, though I do think a man would smell good in this. :P

at first: much fresher than i thought it would be. i think the white tea really brightens this up a lot. it goes really well with the orange blossom.

on: still fresh and a bit citrussy, but with a smooth, sweet base. lovely.

1 hour later: mostly sweet with a smooth, wood undertone.

2.5 hours later: the vetiver is coming forward more now, but this is still mostly woodsy and sweet.

6 hours later: a soft, sweet, powdery wood scent.

overall: this is nice, but i probably wouldn't wear it often.

This is a beautifully subtle scent of tea and...and other things.

I like it very very very much.

But it is quiet, without much throw.

Bottle: orange blossom and tea, with a whisper of opoponax

Wet: karakarounde is supposed to have a scent similar to that of jasmine. it's combining with the orange blossom in lovely ways. no hint of the bottom notes.

Dry: the mahogany must be what I can detect bringing up the rear, an odd dark red behind the paleness of the top notes.

Later: aaand here comes the vetiver. damn vetiver doing it's vetiver thing on my skin. bah, I say.

At first, I get a blast of what I thought might be lemongrass, but I guess it's the orange blossom. Then, it settles into what would be a lovely floral tea scent without the vetiver, which turns it into something terrible on my skin. Too bad!

Way too much citrus. It kind of smells like citrus furniture polish, while you are applying it to your old family heirloom dining room table. There's a bit of a "cold" quality to it, too. Definitely not for me due to the citrus.

So, I absolutely love orange blossom and white tea, but I ferociously hate vetiver… I still haven't made up my mind about opoponax and I have no idea of what karakarounde is… I guess it gonna be a weird experience, like most salons were.

In the bottle: ahum. Ginger and benzoin. Masculine and quite violent.

On my skin: (applied parsimoniously because I'm not in a masochistic mood)… it's just… bad. It's benzoin and something like gas… Makes me sick to my stomach.

After a couple of hours: seriously, I cannot wait that long, I had to wash it off.

Verdict: it can challenge Death Of Sardanapal to win in the category "scent that made me feel the most nauseous ever".

SATAN AND DEATH WITH SIN INTERVENING

In Bottle: Orange blossom and tea

On Skin: The orange blossom comes out right away mixed with a strong tea note. The opoponax and benzoin are sweet and resinous… deep and almost sticky. The mahogany gives a nice fresh woody note while the karakarounde brings a floral to the mix. I can’t smell the vetiver which I’m not complaining about because it’s usually icky on me. It’s a pretty scent but not really me, especially since the orange blossom and tea are so strong. I think I’d like it more as a room scent. It’s fresh, pretty and sweet, very inviting and even a little relaxing. Medium throw and average to long wearlength.

This is oranges and tea on first sniff, mellow and sweet. As it dries, I start to smell deeper notes, dry and dark and a little woody. Oddly, I can't smell the vetiver at all. Instead, I get smoky spice. This is a well-balanced blend, and definitely a melancholy one. As it dries, however, I get an unpleasant musky note. Off to swaps with this!

In the vial: this scent reminds me of a pomander ball: orange and mildly spicy.

Wet on skin: very citrus-y. It does vaguely remind me of furniture polish.

Dry: Very bright and citrus-y. Not what I expected from Satan and pals. A pleasant scent, but I don't think that I need a bottle.

I really liked this scent. I ended up giving the imp to a friend who loved it more, and now I really regret it!

In the vial I got orange flower in abundance with a touch of spice. On my skin, it warmed up and got a bit woodsy, and a bit more spicy, while retaining that lovely orange floral. Lovely, definitely one to wear when you're in a contemplative mood.

Right away I smell a lot of citrus, maybe some tea, and some herbal/woody dusty notes lurking underneath. As usual the citrus smell fades really fast, like within a half hour it's mostly gone. What's left smells like a lot of resin to me, with some vetiver and wood....it has kind of a dusty feel to it, not in a bad way. It reminds me of dust motes falling through golden light in a cathedral....perhaps not the intended imagery but that's what I kept thinking of....it's kind of an 'old' scent to me, if that makes any sense. No powder here, which is good....it kind of borders on powdery for me but really it's more dusty and resinous. It occured to me that with the citrus and almost incense-y feel, this would be a good substitute for Nyarlathotep, which turns to strong powder on me after about an hour. Also, 'Satan and Death...' lasts for HOURS on me.

Aye. This was the scent I expected to love the most out of the first Salon exhibit, and it does not disappoint.

First, let me admit: I have no idea what half of the notes listed in Satan and Death smell like. Thanks to wikipedia, I now know that "King Solomon allegedly regarded the opoponax as the noblest of incense gums," though. So there's that.

All I can do is say what I smell in general terms, since I'm not familiar with the specifics here. In the imp and wet, Satan and Death struck me as a sweet white tea-based scent, refreshing without being nose-piercing.

On me, dry, there's still the white tea base, perked up by the orange blossom -- which turns to something resembling a soft lemon on me -- and something that reminds me of cinnamon.

I love it. It's definitely the hit of Exhibit I for me (so far).

Wet and fresh on this is mostly a lovely orange blossom, with a smoothness beginning to emerge that I think may be attributed to the mahogany...

I'm unfamiliar with many of these notes, so it's hard to say what makes this dry down into an unpleasant sour smell. :P I suspect the karakarounde as I read that it is similar to jasmine, which tends to dislike me.

There is a note in here that smells almost lime-like and fizzy to me that's kind of nice, and the orange lingers a bit, but the sourness overwhelms the good bits for me, sorry to say.

in the imp this smells like an orangey-tea with a slightly resinous thing going on, and it smells GOOD! unfortunately on my skin, it smells like sour, rotting orange blossoms soaked in tea. it's a shame because i love orange blossom. i think white tea, and only white, has a tendency to sour on my skin :P

I get a very woodsy scent with some tea and vetiver. The vetiver isnt too strong, it is nicely grounded by the other notes. Then the orange blossom comes out and starts to smell sour on me. I dont like it for about an hour, then it morphs again and turns sweet and light. The orange blossom and tea are still there, but that sour note is gone. Nice, but I doubt I'll get a bottle. It smells better wafting off my skin than when I smell it up close. Strange.

Medium throw.

In the imp: Smooth citrus and something else. Maybe the tea?

Wet, on my skin: CITRUS!!!!!! And not orange blossom either, but something that resembles more of a lemon verbena-type note. The tea and the resiny opoponax keep this from sliding into furniture polish land--but just barely.

Dry: Settling into something a bit more orange than lemon. I don't like this enough to wear it or get a big bottle, but it really encapsulates the feeling of the artwork it is associated with--two high notes (the citrus and the tea) being tempered by a lower note (the opoponax).

Edited by Mianjo

on first application, all i get is extremely strong citrus, from the orange blossom i suppose. after a couple of minutes the earthy vetiver comes forth and forms an odd combination with the citrus. but then the orange blossom loses its overpowering sour tang and sweetens up quite a bit. the dark vetiver remains, but now the soft myrrh and the unmistakable scent of mahogany are also present. it's still a chaotic jumble of notes, but interesting and unique. i'm just not sure if i can get past the bold citrus.

Edited by tinyvulture

Wow, this is an amazingly gorgeous scent - dark and forboding husky woods and resins with a wash of sweet sweet orange and tea. I kept grabbing my wrist to get a better sniff of this one...just amazing.

Instantly, can smell the orange blossom in this, but it’s actually very reminiscent of orange rind. I can also detect something else desperately attempting to poke through (which makes me hope the orange softens) – could that be the opoponax? I think so as it is very amberish, or resiny. I’ve retested and it isn’t at all to my liking.

In the vial: Sweetness from the orange blossom with something deeper in the background.

On skin: Fresh on the main note I can pick out is still the orange blossom. There's something behind it, giving the scent depth, but I'm not familiar enough with the listed notes to be able to pick out exactly what it is.

This isn't as sharp on my skin as it is in the vial. It's a softer and fuller scent that's actually quite intoxicating as I can't seem to stop smelling my hand. 'Ethereal' is the word that keeps popping up in my head when trying to think of a way to describe this, lightness and depth blended into a unified piece, and it does seem to fit with the painting it's inspired by.

It's a gorgeous scent. It's not one that I can see myself wearing all that often, so I don't think I'll need any more, but I think I will be keeping my decant of it.

In the imp: Ooh, tea!

Wet: Spicy orange tea, with the resins coming out just a bit.

Drydown: Orange blossom, tea, and resins predominate. And then, zip, this is nearly all gone, leaving bare hints of mahogany lying on my skin. There was vetiver in this?

On the bright side, maybe this means that I naturally repel Satan, Death, and Sin. That wouldn't be all bad!

In the bottle: Wow that's a strong orange rind. It's almost alcohol smelling it's so strong.

First on: The alcohol is still there, but the orange is sweet and the vetiver calms it down. It has the resin-y scent over all of it, which is really nice.

Drydown: It is an orange tea! Spicy resinous orange with tea over all of it.

Overall: I love it! I generally hate orange anything, but this is really nice. Definitely keeping the imp, but probably not a bottle.

First sniff: Hazel-green and herbal, not quite sweet but hinting at it. The orange blossom is quite prominent.

Wearing: Ooh. I haven’t discovered a new orange blossom scent in a while, and I’d forgotten how much that note likes me. Almost-sweet orange blossom and green herbs. Sadly, all the affections of the winsome orange blossom cannot dispel the swampy curse of vetiver, which takes over entirely within the hour.

In the imp: a dark woody scent reminiscent of patchouli. I guess that’s the vetiver.

On the wrist: The orange blossom comes through strongly but is made woody and spicy and impure by the other notes. On drydown, it’s orangier, but still dark. No sunshine in the orange blossom at all. Then suddenly it fades to a smidgeon of orange and a smudge of dark.

After several hours: still holding on at that very faint level, mostly just the spicy mahogany scent. Nice, but not enough to keep