Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

Tweedledum

Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

This scent is very confusing on me.... in the imp it's very girly sweet, like a hard candy type of smell .. very fruity. I can't really tell the mango or fig, they blen in very nicely together.

On me it's not as sickly sweet, its different in a good way. I can't really smell the green tea at all... I kind of smell like mango and fig, I think I like it... not what I expected, theres something there that I can't place, think it reminds me of a memory.... this is a very ninja scent!

Think the patchouli is trying to come through. Lovley :)

Starts out with a blast of fruity candy, but it clears out quickly. It seems like most of the Mad Tea Party blends are quiet on me, already I can't smell Tweedledum without pressing my nose to my wrist. What seems to be left after it's run its course is a slightly fruit-punch scent with a high green note that's sort of soapy, fading into very very light patchouli as the hours wear on.

Imp: Sweet Tart candies.

Wet: A strong blast of mango and some of the fig note. The tea and patchouli are all but lost.

Dry: Eh. Mango and fig over patchouli. Reminds me of a tropical and PG-13 rated Depraved. Melds nicely with the skin but it smells a little like Calgon lotion or the like. The fruit is nice. It's distinct but still kind of smells like I'm in a Calgon test group and this will be retailed across North America in the coming quarter.

Throw: Average.

Overall: I'm not feeling it. It's a pretty and unusual fruit scent but I don't really need another of those.

In the imp, I think I'm getting a combination of the fig and the mango, for what smells like fruit bubblegum.

Once on my skin, I'm getting the mango and the fig and the tea, with the patchouli leading under, turning this into a sweet bubblegum with the patchouli darkening things a bit. We'll see how this turns out.

So far, I'm liking the sweet fruitiness of this; going to try a more extensive skin test to figure it out for sure.

Edited by Venneh

In the imp: Green mango and patchouli. I eat quite a lot of green mango, and this smells JUST LIKE IT.

Wet: Woah! Green tea! Powdered macha.

After five mintes: Looks like I amp fig. Fig, fig fig. I can still smell the green tea which stops it from being too sickeningly sweet.

After 10 minutes: The patchouli's coming out but it's still fig. I get an odd whiff of pepper every now and then.

After 15 minutes: Yay, the green tea's coming out. Unfortunately also boo, the green tea's coming out. This is not a note that lasts on my skin.

It fades pretty fast after that. But I still quite like this. I think I'll keep it unless someone else desperately wants it.

Wowza! This is my cup of tea that's for sure!!

Anything with fruit + patchouli = win in my book!!

once applied, I'm picking up juicy mango with a touch of tea. The fig is behaving itself, and the patchouli is a supporting role. It's not dominant at all.

It's sweet and juicy with a touch of naughty incense. Brilliant!!! I wonder how this will age? I hope that the patchouli thickens up just a little more.

Wet: GREEN! Like radioactive green tea! Fruity and bright, mostly tart green mango I'm assuming, with a bit of creamy sweet fig to take the edge off. It's fun.

Dry: Figgy, earthy patchouli infused with the freshness of green tea and the sparkle of green mango. After a while though, it's just fruitchouli. Not much throw anymore, sits pretty close to the skin.

Overall: I'm so torn! I love this for the first fifteen or twenty minutes, it's fabulously green then. But when it sits on the skin for the while, it's just another fruity patchouli. I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to keep this around (I bet this would age perfectly well) or just send it along, as I have similar scents in my collection already.

This was another freebie from the lab (so incredibly generous, thanks!).

In the bottle: wow, this is different. Fruit (fig, mango) combined with earthy nuttiness (must be the patchouli) with a distinct sharp-bitter green scent that I can't identify.

On skin: The sharp-bitter green scent disappears immediately, leaving the fruit and the nuttiness. After an hour or two, the nuttiness disappears as well, leaving a quite nice juicy, refreshing fruit scent. It's very faint and stays close to the skin.

Overall: This is a nice scent but doesn't suit my personality. I'm glad I got to try it though, especially since I've never encountered patchouli before. Now I know what it smells like!

In the bottle: To me, this smells like a green gummy worm. I happen to LOVE gummy worms, so far, so good.

Wet: Still getting a sour-ish green gummy worm, some patchouli (which isn't unpleasant in the mix. surprising since i usually think patchouli isn't that great) and a hint of green tea rounding out the mix.

Dry: I can smell some of the fig which (on me) smells like peanut sauce. Yeah, I know. ODD. But in this mix, it's not overpowering and I kind of love it. I can smell the green gummy worm which I imagine is the green mango and it's also very nice. It's definitely the more masculine counterpart of tweedledee, but the oil wears very similar to it's "sister" scent in the fact that the notes blend very well and the tea comes out a little more on the dry down.

Verdict: Will definitely be buying a bottle and will try to convince the Mister to try this on and see how it works with his skin chemistry. I likey! Almost more than tweedledee, especially on the dry down.

Frimp in one of my orders.

Hmmmm. I wonder if I got a mislabeled imp, because I don't smell any of the notes. Oh well, here's my take on Tweedledum.

In the imp, this is Bubblicious watermelon bubblegum. Wet, it's the same. During the drydown, it takes on a faint herbal note (maybe the patchouli?) but otherwise it's still watermelon bubblegum. Dry, it's gone, leaving behind nothing but a faint sweet ghost.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad it works for a lot of other people because it sounds interesting.

3/21/10 -- Yummy mango and fig! As it dries down the patchouli and green tea mix together to give the fruits a more relaxing vibe. This is an absolutely delicious blend that is just a bit faint on me, so I think I'll pick up a bottle to use with my scent locket.

8/18/10 -- The patchouli and green tea are the first to make an entrance this time around, which by themselves didn't smell too hot. However, once completely dry all I could pick up on was tart and juicy mango .. yumm! :yum: Given that it has only been five months since I first tested this blend, I have a feeling it is only going to get better and better with age.

Edited by musichappens

Got as a frimp. The very first time I smelled this in the imp it gave me a headache, but I picked it up again and it didn't bother me, so maybe I was just having a weird day.

Tweedledum is Yum! I love fruity scents, and tropical fruits like mango, so this one is great. It smells JUICY. It's delicious, both sweet and tart. I usually find patchouli overpowering but it's faint in the background. This reminds me of "Tropical Passionfruit", a discontinued Bath & Body Works scent which I also enjoyed.

The only downside is it doesn't last very long on me. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

Frimp from the lab!

In the Imp: sugary bubblegum

Wet on Skin: similar to imp, a touch less sugary

While Drying: a leafy (green but slightly dusty, not dry) smell starts to emerge… maybe a combo of the tea and patchouli?

After a Little While: All the scents are very well balanced. Overall, I would call this a fruity smell, but the tea and the patchouli smooth it out. Bright and beautiful. I can identify where each of the notes comes into play, but nothing dominates. The patchouli is more subtle than usual. The tea floats in the background. The fig adds a darker aspect to the fruitiness without becoming cloying (fig can be a problem note for me). The mango adds some sparkle.

Later: Fairly short wear length. After about 2 hours, there is just a lingering skin-close scent. Worth reapplying.

Final Thoughts: From the description, I thought this would be more of a novelty scent, and somewhat disjointed, but the notes blend so well. I haven't been thrilled with many of the fruit-dominant scents that I've tried, but this one is lovely.

Tweedledum earns a 4/5 on my skin.

In Bottle: Green tea and patchouli are the dominant notes with a trace of sweetness from the fruit. I’ll admit I’m not sure what fig should smell like.

Wet: Stays pretty true to the ‘in bottle’ smell.

Dry: Fades quickly on me which is too bad. Overall it’s a nice scent.

Notes: Ends up being sweet patchouli after an hour, which is nice but sadly not particularly interesting on me.

In the imp: It is a pale green scent, very sparkly and fun, but my first thought on sniffing it was of bubblegum! I think it's the sweetness of the mango that strikes me that way—it’s candy-sweet, almost lotus-like. A second sniff reveals more complexity beneath that initial sweetness, though it's still a very juicy, fruity scent. Mostly ripe mango and green tea, with the green tea adding that clean, sheer, summery quality. Nice. I'm not crazy for it, but it's very pleasant.

On, wet: Wow, this changes immediately on my skin, but not in a bad way. There's a whoosh of sweetness, and then the patchouli comes out in a BIG way. It's a dry, woody patchouli, amazingly light, with no hint of dirt or grunginess… maybe that's the green tea influence? Anyway, the mango is very subdued, just a lightly fruity counterpoint that brings out the woody sweetness of the patchouli. And the fig seems to be slowly warming up, maybe. This just got upgraded from 'okay' to 'very interesting'.

On, dry: Mmm, very nice. The mango fades and the fig comes forward during the dry down, which darkens the scent somewhat—it's still sweet and fruity, but in a more sophisticated way, not candy-ish at all. It's earthy sweetness, which blends very nicely with that steady, woody patchouli backbone. The combination of patchouli and fig reminds me slightly of Gomorrah, but I prefer this blend of those notes, where the green tea and mango can lighten things up and smooth them out. It's not a heavy fragrance, even though it's darker now, and the throw is moderate to light.

Later: Rounder, well blended—smooth and fruity, but still with some subtle patchouli to balance the sweetness.

Overall: Cheerful, bright and good-natured, although more sophisticated than it seems at first sniff. I liked this one a lot more than I would have anticipated from the imp. This might look like a strange mix of notes in theory, but in practice, they work very well together, each balancing out the others. The green tea keeps this clean and light feeling, the patchouli adds a darker, woody aspect, the fig is a pleasantly earthy compliment to the patchouli and the lighter, juicier mango note adds sweetness. It's very summery to my nose, and I especially like that it's a patchouli blend that's really suitable for warmer weather. Wear length is about 5 hours or so, so it does need to be reapplied periodically.

In the imp, Tweedledum is tropical Skittles. I can pick out green tea and a fruitiness that I guess is mango and/or fig.

On my skin, the green tea gets stronger. I thought the patchouli would come on strong but I can only find a hint of it. The blend overall is like a tropical-fruity green tea drink with just a bit of earthiness to keep it from floating away. It's lovely but fades very quickly on my skin.

I'd love to use this as a room scent in the summer, yum.

imp: Green, fruity, floral. I can smell a pleasant patchouli in there.

wet: I was not expecting to like this as I don't like patchouli, but... I like it! It just smells goooood.

dry: Lasts very well. Patchouli comes out more later on, unfortunately.

Conflicted. This is very different from all the other scents I like/wear and if I keep the imp I don't know how much use it will get. However, it smells GREAT. Just not like me, I guess.

Patchouli is always very hit or miss with me, but I didn't want to get Tweedledee without getting Tweedledum, too! In the bottle it's ALL fig to my nose, and I can't find any other notes. Right when I put it on, it was a nice fruity green and the patchouli actually jumped out to soothe the almost cloying sweetness of the fig note on me. Unexpectedly a very sophisticated smell, and it is actually a nice contrast to the candy fruit smell that is Tweedledee. Keeping this around for a while, I think!

Imp: Mostly patchouli.

Wet: Brief burst of mango that then vanishes quietly into the nuttiness that remains. Is that the fig or patchouli going all nutty?

Drydown: Very, very faint patchouli. No throw or variation.

Dry: Nothingness close to the skin. There's a slight mango throw, though.

My rating: 1/5

In the imp: Mango, and green tea. I have tea bags that smell like this.

Wet: Very mango, and more green. Not as sweet smelling as the imp.

Dry: Mmm.. this smells good. The mango lightened up as it dried, the green tea note is still there and sort of rounds the scent out. Sort of like a green tea bubble filled with mango sweetness.

Wet and right on the skin that was tart and tangy, must have been the mango that hit me right away.

The dry down brings out the fig and patchouli. The tartness of the scent dies down and you are left with this gorgeous heavy fig and patchouli scent. It's a little sweet, but not overwhelming. It kind of reminds me of being outside a little, those fig notes give it an earthy vibe.

This is a very wearable scent. The tea keeps it from being too sweet. The notes blend together beautifully but the mango does come out as the predominate scent. It smells like a picnic to me. Sweet fruit salad with a glass of cool iced tea on a perfect summer day. I received this today as a frimp from the lab. I'm so happy they sent this to me. I will definitely be getting a bottle of this.

Soapy and green, this was a miss from the very first moment it touched my skin. Ultimate sadness because I LOVE Tweedledee, so it surprised me how poorly this scent reacted with my skin chemistry.

I really wanted to like this one! And, honestly, I do.. but I think I will have to enjoy it without putting it directly on my skin.

In the bottle, it smells adorable -- very bright and fruity with just a hint of earthiness behind it. But on my skin, as it dries, it starts to smell more and more like a very sweet patchouli. It reminds me of the patchouli oil perfume that was very popular when I was in high school during the 90's. I wish that complex, fruity, bright aroma would stay for me.. but it did not. I do tend to amp patchouli and other "incense" smells but I was hoping that the green tea would mellow it out.

On the plus side, this scent lasted all day both times I tried it. Applied it around or before noon both times and by bedtime it was still very present on my skin. I do like the scent; I can tell that if I didn't amp the patchouli so much, I'd love it.. it just isn't quite "me" any more to smell so much like patchouli.

In vial: Fruity with a hint of earth. My nose doesn't register it as mango specifically, just general fruitiness.

Wet: Patchouli, very much like the patch I get in Banshee Beat. Smooth, dirty without being dirty, if you know what I mean. I am getting fig now, and this is actually reminding me of Intrigue which is my favorite BPAL blend! This is greener, lighter, juicy vs Intrigue's bark-y, dry cocoa.

Dry: The patchouli disperses rather suddenly, leaving but a wisp of green tea-tinged fig/mango sweetness. Within three hours, it's all but gone from my wrists, despite being applied very generously.

Verdict: Having such a note resemblance to two of my top five blends predisposed Tweedledum to be incredible, I thought- but for whatever reason I feel perplexed and rather ambivalent about it. It seems like it would be perfect for summer or when you'd want a lighter scent, but it just doesn't enthrall me the way those other two do. I will be testing it at least once more to be sure, but I am fairly certain I will hold onto the imp indefinitely. It may be a slow-building love, as some blends just are- later on you can't imagine how you ever lived without it.