Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

oh my GOD! this is heavenly. it smells like warm, fresh-baked gingerbread. when i put it on my wrist and sniffed, my mouth literally began to water. i want to eat my arm. gingerbread poppet, where have you been all my life?!

Gingerbread Poppet 2007-

In Bottle: (The previous blends of this have long been one of my favorite BPAL scents.) Smells like previous incarnations--darkly gingery and nutmeggy with a hint of lemon extract. Yummmmm.

Wet: True to its in-bottle scent. Dark baked sugar with deep dark ginger, nutmeg, and a lemon hint.

Dry: True to itself, not musty at all. Long-lasting and delicious with its dark baked sugar-ginger-nutmeg.

Overall: Still one of my very favorites!

GP is still a winner!

I smell a slight difference in the 2007 version compared to 2005. '07 is a little drier and spicier, a tiny bit less sweet. It's more like a nice hot gingersnap, and '05 had a touch of cookie-batter to it. It's barely a distinction though. Still an amazing, delicious scent. All-time-top-ten, never want to be without a bottle of this!

Oh, now this is nice. *huffs wrist* It's all lovely, warm, dry spicy gingerbread without being overpowering. I absolutely love this, and will have to get a bottle post-haste. :P

Awww...I wanted to like this, I really did. However, on me it turned into Cockaigne--a scent that is lovely in a candle and one that I thought I would love on me, but made me somewhat queasy, actually. sort of rich and wine-y. Sigh. I think I shall stick with my Eat Me and shuffle this off to be gifted to some lucky lady (my sis)...

Yum yum yum. ::tries to eat wrists:: I'm not sure if there's anything left to say - this smells just like fresh gingerbread. And not crunchy dry gingerbread cookies, but fresh warm rich gingerbread. I'm probably going to buy a second bottle of this, just in case I run out. The staying power isn't great, even in a scent-locket, but the smell is worth it. ::goes back to gnawing on wrists::

(Edited for formatting issues.)

Edited by dryadfemme33

Oh, wow. Gingerbread Poppet 2007 is amazing.

I opened the imp and smelled freshly baked gingerbread.

Wet on my skin, gingerbread.

Dry, gingerbread!

It isn't as long lasting as I would hope, but oh my, gingerbread all the way the whole time it is on me. Fresh warm wonderful gingerbread. Amazing!

(2007 version)

In the imp, this smells just like gingerbread cookies; on me, it turns into that very dry ginger that takes on almost a lemon-y smell (I think this is the same kind of ginger that's in Shub?). It's very spicy, but not sweet enough for me - it's almost a little harsh. I suspect it would be lovely as a room scent, though!

Oh dear lord - this is absolutely delicious! It's gingerbread cookies, straight from the oven. It's warm, it's cozy, it's Christmas in a bottle!

Got to order more!

In the imp: The fiance (who usually says all BPAL smells like honey) sniffed this one when I first got it and said, "Hey! That one smells like GINGERBREAD!" in a very surprised sort of way. And it does.

Wet: Slightly lemony ginger cake. Just a hint of lemon make this tart and spicy and sweet and amazing.

Dry: Fresh baked gingerbread. The lemon kind of disappears and leaves this amazing fresh from the oven gingerbread scent. We were driving to Thanksgiving dinner today and I kept catching whiffs and wondering who had stuck gingerbread in my car. :D

Waaay Dry: In the very last stages, this is unbelievably deep rich muted gingerbread that smells just unbelievable.

This is actually the first perfume I've ever had just sort of disappear on me. I put it on about twelve hours ago, and in the last hour, it just went poof. No fading out or anything, I sniffed my wrist before we left, and the smell was there, and by the time we got home (about half an hour) it was completely gone. Usually the scents get fainter and fainter over several hours, and never truly go away on me. This was just... Gone. Fortunately, I have a whole bottle to luv on. :P

Edited by Lana Blade

This smells good, I wore it to Thanksgiving dinner. It is what it is.....smells like gingerbread. To my nose there is the slightest scorched element, like the cookies are slightly crisp on the bottom. I have very little complaints about this scent.

However......I have to admit, Shub-Niggurath has spoiled me somewhat. Gingerbread Poppet is similar but less complex, and doesn't last as long or have as much throw. I bet if someone were heartbroken by Shub not working for them, they might do better with Gingerbread Poppet.

2007 is very much real gingerbread when wet, but on the drydown, my skin just amps up the cinnamon and spices and it becomes less bready, and more dry and spicey. I had skipped previous versions as I had gone off foody scents, but now I think I will have to try to get my paws on some 2005.

IMP: Warm, sweet, buttery gingerbread :P

WET: Exactly like fresh gingerbread (DH sniffed and said "How do they do that????")

DRY: The butter and sugar disappear, leaving lots of spice! It's dry and spicy, with clove and nutmeg really coming to the front. A hint of smokiness, like scorched brown sugar.

This is my favorite of the yules, and the only one I think I'll be ordering a bottle of. I keep wanting to add something fruity, though, like baked apples or poached pears!

Oh My! I smell so incredibly edible!

Wow. I sniffed the imp and just had to wear it straight away.

Fresh gingerbread, while it's still moist and steaming, that's the smll in the bottle and while wet. As it dries some of that melted buttery moistness dries away to more spicy goodness underneath.

I must have a bottle now. I'm in love.

This smelt like deliciously warm gingerbread during the wet stage before drying down into a softer version of Shub on me. Unfortunately the length is fairly short, the only thing that is keeping me from purchasing a bottle.

In the decant: Spicy gingerbread, all the way.

First applied: Still spicy gingerbread, but there's something creamy underneath.

Drydown: Much like a quality gingerbread candle. Will possibly use this in an oil burner.

Verdict: Still deciding whether I want to keep this or not. It would be very comforting to burn around Xmas to get in the mood, but I still have to think it over.

GINGERBREAD POPPET 07

In Bottle: Pure spice

On Skin: This scent is super fresh moist gingerbread. This is not a batch of cookies that have been sitting around for a week after someone baked them and brought them into the office, this is a just opened oven containing a big batch of healthy sized gingermen ready to come out and tempt you with their soft centers. I smell all the spices, the nutmeg especially. The ginger is full force, this scent really seems edible. Never has a scent been so dead on. I don’t like to wear ginger as a scent, but this is a must have scent for me as a room spray. It’s instantly warm, inviting and festive. Very yummy!! As the scent develops, the cinnamon begins to overpower the nutmeg and the scent seems very spicy, almost hot. It finally settles into a more spicy scent, rather than a sweet foody scent. Still, it’s quite delicious and anyone who likes spices and gingerbread needs multiple bottles of this. Strong throw, average to long wearlength.

To think I almost passed this up..... baked-goods smells make me sort of queasy. But this is SPICE! And I nice blend of spices at that, with just a little doughyness in the background. My one gripe is that it doesn't hang around long- but I think I'll make a lotion with this so I can reapply all day long. Also a great scent for my oil burner. :P

This is fresh from the oven gingerbread when wet. Very strong ginger and nutmeg and sweetness. MMmm. After several minutes it morphs to a spicy apple cider fragrance. Usually apples go weird on me, but this apple is very true to apple cider. On my skin the fragrance fades to a distant sweetness after about an hour. I'll experiment with putting it on clothing as well and I expect it to last longer that way. Out of the other foodies this Yule, Gingerbread Poppet is the clear winner. I may need a back up bottle.

2007 version.

Bottle: Gingerbread!

Wet: Gingerbread!

Dry: Gingerbread!

This is a very simple, very yummy scent! Fresh-baked gingerbread with a sprinkling of cinnamon. I keep wanting to lick my arm. As others have said there is a "scorched" note in there; the cookies were left in the oven a bit too long.

Nom nom nom! :P

However......I have to admit, Shub-Niggurath has spoiled me somewhat. Gingerbread Poppet is similar but less complex, and doesn't last as long or have as much throw. I bet if someone were heartbroken by Shub not working for them, they might do better with Gingerbread Poppet.

I thought I'd quote this as I agree with it. Shub was ruined for me by the herbs turning medicinal and yucky, and GP is a wonderful alternative.

Edited by Jenesis

GP 2007:

I tried GP 05 awhile back and did not like it at all and swapped it off. GP 07 is nothing like 05. I think 05 was heavy on the nutmeg and that's what I didn't like about it. The nutmeg is present in 07 but not as strong which makes a huge difference.

This bottle is a keeper.

2007 release. I go nuts over the Starbucks gingerbread lattes every December.

In the bottle: gingerbread cookie dough.

Wet: gingerbread just starting to bake in the oven.

Drydown: OMG gingerbread. Equal amounts of ginger, clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

This really is just heavenly. I'm loving my bottle.

From in the bottle to bedtime (7 hours and still going strong):

Delicious, chewy, cinnamon-and-nutmeggy, honest to goodness GINGERBREAD *drool*

Might need to get another bottle of this to last until NEXT Yule.

If my oven was working, I'd whip up some edible gingerbread because of this. Scrumptious!

I've compared this to the 2004 version which on me is just pure gingerbread. The 2007 version is different.

In the vial, I smell far more ginger - it's still gingerbread, but with a bit more oomph. On the drydown, the ginger relaxes a little and a teeny tiny bit of lemon seems to come out, not too much but enough that its presence is known. I'd agree with a previous review of it smelling like lemony ginger cake.

Really lovely, planning on ordering a whole bottle now.

2007 version

In the bottle, it's straight up spiced gingerbread. Lovely, warm and Christmassy.

On my skin, it immediately turns to spice and curry (any hint of spices do this to me). In my scent locket, however, I could sit and sniff it for days. Truely gorgeous and makes me want to eat soft gingerbread!