Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

(2007 version)
I adore this scent. I was looking for a Christmassy scent and between this and Eggnog, I'm all set! In the bottle, it smelled very spicy (though not necessarily in a bad way). On me, it just blended beautifully with the baking smell, lovely and warm and buttery. :D

It genuinely smells like gingerbread, but proper, dark, baked gingerbread, not the stuff you get in the bakeries currently, which aren't spicy enough. It makes me want to eat myself all up, and my boyfriend keeps randomly gnawing on my wrist to see if I taste as good as I smell. What really amazed me about this scent was its staying power and throw. Within minutes of it drying, it became reasonably faint on my wrists, but I could smell it all around me and people could smell it over the other side of the room, though not violently, just subtly. I put it on at around 6:00 last night and it was still there faintly this morning before I showered. It also stayed on my scarf beautifully after I took it off (just tranfer from my neck). In fact, it's still on there, and still reasonably strong, after around 30 hours. I'm astounded :D

I think I shall wear it in the library and make everyone hungry :P Edited by Shollin

Gingerbread Poppet 2007 - Mmm! This smells like the ginger in Shub - dry, warm, and spicy. Yummmm!!! Previous versions of GP smelled amazing, but turned to plastic on my skin after a short time. This one doesn't. It lasts and lasts and smells freaking AMAZING on me. It's not particularly sweet, which is one reason why I think it smells so good on me. It's a really strong ginger scent with a bit of Christmas spices and maybe (?) a hint of something lemon zest. It's a great skin scent and room scent. Gorgeous!

In the bottle - I smell sharp, fresh ginger with a deep and dry undertone of spice. It's less sweet than I was expecting, but is still absolutely delicious.

Wet on the skin - This is wonderful. It's bright and fresh and almost astringent.

Next stages - I think there's a little lemon in this - just the tinest sliver of zest. It's very appropriate for me as I always use lemon icing when I bake ginger cakes or biscuits.

Dry down - The clove and nutmeg notes linger on after the ginger has wafted away. The blend leaves a dark and almost woody trace behind. On re-application, it's a much more rounded and dense scent as the new spike of ginger mixes with the spice notes left behind from the first application.

Similar scents - The deep, resonant spices of Mama-ji are here, as are the "murky" clove notes of Jack. And of course, all ginger fans need to try Shub-Niggurath.

2007 version - I had tried the 2005 version last year. Although it smelled just like gingerbread in the bottle, on my skin it was raw cookie dough. :D I decided to give the 2007 version a chance and I'm so happy I did.

In the wet stage, I get a hint of that cookie dough scent, but over that is lots of delicious spices. Yes, this is gingerbread!! Ginger is the strongest spice initially but as it dries cinnamon takes over. I'm picturing little gingerbread men with faces made from those Cinnamon Red Hots candies. Gingerbread Poppet had a pretty good throw and lasted quite a while - I could still smell it in my hair when I woke up this morning. I'm so glad I gave the 2007 version a chance because I love it. :P

In the bottle: Lovely sharp ginger. This bodes very well indeed.

Wet on skin: Oh my. This is just like McVities Ginger Cake. Exactly the same - and believe me, that is an EXTREMELY good thing indeed. Wow, I could just sit and inhale this forever.

Dry: This one's a slow dryer for some reason. Sadly, as it dries, it loses a lot of its strength. Still very much gingery but there's a sweetness to it as well - sugary cake. It's good - it's VERY good - but it just doesn't last, very sadly. However, it's too good to cast aside because of that. It simply requires extra applications or - even better - a scent locket. This is a keeper. In fact, this may even be a case of ordering another bottle.

I've found my scent for Boxing Day, I think. :P And colour me well and truly converted to foody scents, thanks to this year's Yules.

I have the 2007 edition, and I've never tried any other vintages.

I ordered a bottle of this unsniffed, fully expecting it to be gingerbready sex in a bottle. I was right.

What can I say, except that this smells EXACTLY like freshly baked gingerbread? It is not artificial or plasticky in the slightest. I put this on one hand and held a fresh gingerbread cupcake in the other, and side by side, they smelled identical. Well done, Beth!

Wet, the cinnamon was very strong (mostly under nose - from a distance the effect was more even), but it blended in much better after about 10 minutes. It's very, very spicy in the initial stages, but I don't feel as if any one spice overwhelms the blend. There seems to be molasses anchoring the spice. There's a very warm, creamy sweet vanilla background note. I suppose that's the icing. This scent is certainly very sweet, but the spice provides some balance.

After about 20 minutes, it seems the spiciness is less assertive still. It's still plenty spicy, it's just not screaming I'M REALLY SPICY!! As of about 30 minutes, the whole thing is beginning to ease up -- instead of being amped up, it's more like a true piece of gingerbread. After 2 hours, it has become somewhat faint. Generally, it's completely gone by the 4 hour mark. At best, there's just a light trace.

The throw is excellent. I just put on a dab from the cap on one hand, and I am in a gingerbread cloud. Wear life for me isn't great, definitely below average. Definitely try this if you like foody scents or spicy scents. Should appeal to fans of Plunder, El Dia De Reyes, Gluttony, Monsterbaits, and so on. I'm sure this would also be wonderful as a holiday home fragrance. (I plan to tip some into my car's oil diffuser!) My dog has given it her seal of approval -- last night she licked every molecule of skin on the hand I'd tested the scent with.

Edited by naeelah

OMG GINGERBREAD.

Hot, moist, gingerbread cake with spicy cream icing.

At first I didn't think this had any throw whatsoever but half an hour after putting it on, the scent of spicy gingerbread began wafting around me. mmmmmm. It just keeps getting stronger, and spicier, and warmer and :P.

What a wonderful scent!

I am surprised at how different the 07 formulation is. I had a decant of the 05 and it was too sticky sweet on me-I had taken to layering it with Saw Scaled Viper (which on me is all cinnamon.) The 07 version is much more spicy, dark, and molasses-y. Warm and very much like fresh gingerbread out of the oven. It smells really really good on me. Hooray! long-lasting, too.

Gingerbread!! Real actual gingerbread, with that glorious mixture of ginger and cloves and nutmeg and ohmygosh it smells delicious...

...and disappears in about two seconds flat.

:P

But for those two seconds, it's delicious.

This is for the 2007 version.

Man oh man. When I first applied it, I was superduper excited. It smelled like gingerbread cookies. I think I was falling in love.

I think I'm falling out of love now though. As it dried, it got sweetier and more honey-like. And it's got the honey syrup very reminiscent of PI: Cockaigne. It's a very dense sugary sort of syrup. The gingerbread cookie is gone, gone gone.

And I miss it.

But for the first fifteen minutes, it was so flipping delicious.

IN THE IMP: Oh! Sharp ginger. With other spices underneath. Some warmth, too.

WET: The sweetness is starting to come out now, and it's really starting to smell like warm, sweet but spicy gingerbread. Yummmm.

DRY: Mostly the spices left. I'm pretty sure it's not the ginger so it must be the nutmeg and clove. Still very yummy, though it's less like being near a plate of freshly baked gingerbread and more like sticking your head in a spice cabinet.

With this on one elbow and El Dia de Reyes on the other, I'm starting to crave something sweet. At 2 AM. :P Someone stop me.

In the bottle...this smells like gingerbread.

On my skin...this smells like gingerbread.

Well, really, it smells like gingersnaps and gingerbread. It's a perfect perfume rendition of gingerbread. It's got the cakey quality, the spices, the ginger, and the sweetness. It's just gorgeous, and who doesn't want to smell like a cookie, really? :P I know I do!

As it dries, it gets spicier and less cakey. But still really yummy! I think I might wear this to my Mum's holiday party tonight (I'm going as her date). It's festive and yummy, and if I get bored or irritated, I can sniff myself and be happy again. It's a very happy, cozy scent. It's homey, and it smells like spicy/gingerbready goodness, it's perfect for the holidays! If I knew how to work one, I'd put it in an oil burner, too. :D

In the bottle: Spicy gingerbread and sugar!

Wet: Very strong cinnamon, very spicy.

On the dry down: The cinnamon has mellowed out and is now sweeter, it is beginning to smell just like gingerbread! It is lovely, I adore sweet scents, this is now sweet and spicy, but not overpowering.

Oh, it is starting to remind me of Sugar Skull!!! It is lovely! Another bottle?

Holy crap, this is good!

It's not as strongly gingery as I thought it might be -- it's a nice, sweet, spicy balance, definitely like a gingerbread cookie with sugar or icing on top. Every once in a while, the spices catch my nose just right and it smells a little like Indian food, too, which is cool 'cause I love Indian food.

Also, when I opened the imp, my mom caught the tiniest whiff and wanted to try it, too. And now she swears she could probably use up a whole bottle if I got her one.

I think we have a winner. :P

My boyfriend got a gingerbread latte at Starbucks the other day, and, in the imp, this (the 2007 version) smells like that tasted - gingerbread with a overlay of warm spiciness. And it smells the same to me in the imp, on my skin when it's wet, and once it's dry - AND I LOVE IT.

In the bottle: Wow! Smells EXACTLY like a warm, spicy, homemade gingerbread cookie!

Wet: The same, though I can smell the cloves coming out a little more. Incredibly spicy, but still warm enough to keep any scent overload away. I smell like a giant gingerbread man (er, girl).

Drydown: This seems to be getting really sharp as it goes... hopefully it calms down a little in the next few hours!

All in all though, this is so lovely.

*sigh* I'm debating whether to order a bottle this year...I've got a few more days to do so...I bought 2005, and it was so wonderful! Warm, freshly baked gingerbread with a hint of pumpkin pie *though may just be the similar spices*, mouth-watering!

Only problem I had was that it faded so quickly! =( It was like a burst of deliciousness for the first 10-20 minutes, then it would gradually fade away. Darn skin suck up all the spicy sweetness and left just a slight hint of cake, which smells good too, but not what I want. I went through it quite quickly, and had to stop myself before I used it all up, I've only got about 1/4 of 2005 left...need more!

Few days ago, I snatched myself an imp of 2007's Gingerbread Poppet, and now I've gone mad! Its like someone's taken out a fresh batch of gingerbread from the oven and is still baking another batch of gingerbread and someone else is making a house made of gingerbread filled with gingerbread men and women. Madly trying to resist the urge of eating my wrist...I'm mad, I tell you!

Still reminds me a bit of pumpkin pie...It seems to last quite a bit longer than 2005.

I do madly love this scent! And I do need more. And it does last longer...well this debate ended, and I've already checked out on CCnow. lol! So much for self-control! :P

Gingerbread Poppet 07 marks my first foray into the world of LEs.

In the bottle: Wow! My mouth is literally watering! This smells exactly like gingerbread is baking in my kitchen ::runs to check my oven:: Nope, it's empty, must be the BPAL. :P

Wet: This one morphs constantly for the first little bit. Each spice comes forward to wave hello.

Dry: This is truly a cozy scent. It makes me want to cuddle up in a fluffy blanket with a mug of chai and a thick piece of gingerbread. Once it is dry, the scents mellow and blend. Still spicy, but almost a hint of vanilla? Something else is coming forward. I only put on one dip of a toothpick worth on my wrist. It seems pretty strong, with a good throw. Mmmmm...yum.

Verdict: I am so happy I had the courage to engage in my first swap to get an imp of Gingerbread Poppet. I think this may now be the first LE bottle I ever purchase. Yay!

Gingerbread Poppet 07

In the imp: warm, baked, spicy gingerbread. I want to eat this up.

Wet on skin: gingerbread with a hint of brown sugar.

Dry on skin: mmm, now the ginger veers in a Shubby direction, which I like very much. It becomes hotter, a little more fiery, and even a little less foody than I expected, but the scents of warm treacly cake mixed with ginger and other spices make this incredibly comforting and delicious. This is a little more varied in spice than GP04, maybe a little more cake-y, and the best thing is that for now it doesn't have the burnt undertone I disliked from 05.

After a while: hmm, now this becomes even more interesting. The ginger has toned down a little, and now not only does it smell like gingerbread, but like fruity gingerbread! Like there are raisins, plums, figs or apricots in the gingerbread…it reminds me of the dried sweet fruit note from Sugar Skull, but covered in cake instead of caramel. It is delicious! It actually reminds me of those German gingerbread biscuits with a jam filling, but without the chocolate those biscuits have.

Then this turns from mere fruity gingerbread to a Christmas cake spiked with booze! Oh yes, this is good stuff! There's a cheeky addition of sherry or port to this gingerbread!

Verdict: mmm, this is so delicious! I love the gingerbread scents, and was a huge fan of GP04, but GP05 smelt like burnt gingerbread, which really disappointed me. This is more like 04…but I think it’s even better! I think this is my favourite Poppet so far! Warm ginger with a slight hint of something like Shub Niggurath to it, this starts off as a foodier Shub and then transforms into true gingerbread filled with dried fruit and topped with a shot of booze! It smells less dry than 04, this one has a nice moist feel to it, probably thanks to the slight fruity/treacle note I get here. I think I need to get a bottle…I want to bite this stuff off my skin!

Emoticon rating: :D :P

Is it a keeper? definitely!

If you like this, try: Shub Niggurath, Cockaigne, La Befana, Saw Scaled Viper, Bengal, El Dia de Reyes

I love this!!!!! It's a little like Shub N. but totally different. So good, soo so good!

Gingerbread Poppet is pretty straightforward -- when I put it on, I smell like gingerbread. It's rich, deep, and smells like it's hot out of the oven, although that last part might just be my imagination. If you love the foodie or spicy scents, you need to check this one out. I would wear this one anywhere, but it seems perfect for rainy days when some special comfort is needed.

4/5

Where did my review go? Hmm. I thought I posted this. Anyway, I like this, and more than when I first tried it. At first I felt that it had a sour note, but now I don't get that feeling anymore. It goes very well with the Spicy Gingerbread Shower gel I got from Bath and Body works. Definitely a fall/winter scent though. Score: 4.5

(2005 Edition): Absolutely delicious. I generally avoid sweet or bakery scents, but this one doesn't come across to me as too sweet at all. Very gingery, warm and dry. I like the cinnamon and clove notes as well. Smells as good on my skin as in the bottle and seems to have good staying power.

In the bottle: Dark gingerbread, a really dark brown colour comes to mind.

Wet: Much more savoury than I expected - like dried out gingerbread from a health food store with all the sugar and syrup and fun removed. The ginger smells burnt on me. It has the sinister edge of a fairy tale - if this was the gingerbread used to build the witch's house then I'm not sure Hansel and Gretel would have been tempted...

Dry: Mellows slightly, becoming rounder and deeper. I wore this to the pantomime before Christmas and it was festive but still I am not in love.

And?.... Whereas I adore Shub, I do not love GP and I am very sad about it. :P