Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

Smells wonderfully like gingerbread in the bottle (and I spilled it on the label so it smells like that OUT of the bottle, too). On me, it takes on a sour smell underneath the sharpness of the ginger--as a matter of fact, it smells suspiciously like the dreaded play-doh note, with sharp bitey ginger on top. Waaah, I wanted to love you, GP, but you don't love me. Edited by karikazo

do we really need another review in which i say, "OMG IT SMELLS JUST LIKE GINGERBREAD!"? if so, here it is.

YUMMMMMY!

In the bottle- warm, spicy gingerbread. This smells just like a slice of warm gingerbread, just like the real cake.

Wearing- the cake smell seems to dissipate on me. Now this smells less like the cake, and more like a warm holiday spice mix. It's a bit sharper when wearing than in the bottle.

Overall- yummy and perfect for the holidays. This is a warm and inviting holiday spice scent, one that makes me feel all warm and cozy.

spicy baked goodness. the clove is especially noticeable. this is such a warm, sweet scent. perfect for the holidays. i also think it will be great as a room scent.

Gingerbread Poppet 2005

I wasn't planning on ordering this, because I still have a bottle of last year's version, and while I love it, one bottle is enough. But this sounds like it might be different enough that I have to try it too.

Wet - very different from last year's verion! If last year's was light gingerbread, this is dark and heavy. I smell primarily ginger and molasses, maybe a touch of brown sugar too.

Dry - this is much darker and less foody than last year's version. It's also not as spicy. I will end up keeping both bottles, because they are so very different from each other. 2004 is very foody, a perfect gingerbread scent. 2005 almost seems like a mix between Sugar Skull and Penny Dreadful, with some spices thrown in. It's a heavier scent, but it doesn't last very long on my skin. Both versions are delicious!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

(for comparison sake, I gave the 2004 version a 5.)

In the bottle - Ginger and syrupy sweetness, with just a hint of that bakery smell.

Wet on me - The cinnamon and nutmeg are sharper and at the front with the bakery doughy goodness just behind.

Dry on me - At first the cloves make it smell slightly medicinal, but the spices fade, leaving only golden syrup glowing softly on my skin. I believe that this is more mellow than the 2004 version.

I love, love, love this stuff. When I put my nose to my arm, it smells exactly like the ginger molasses cookies my mother sometimes makes, but farther away it's all gingerbread. I want to eat my arm. No, really. Is this foody? Yes, but it's also eminantly wearable. I've got to get another of these before the Yules go away. :P

In Bottle: Um… gingerbread

On Skin: This is the definition of a foody scent. It smells exactly like you’ve just baked a dozen gingerbread cookies and they’re warming on the counter. The sweet spices all stand out. I don’t exactly want to smell like this, but this is a great room scent for the fall and winter. People will come knocking at your door if they even catch a whiff. Very warm and inviting.

Ugh, ick. This smells terrible on my skin! And I was so excited for it too. On me it is spices and not a bit of sweetness and something that smells like floury dough. It's ok as a room scent. But I don't have particularly good memories of gingerbread scents or whatever, so off to the swaps it goes.

I adored last years scent but this years smells totally different and unfortunatley i hated it.

Its sickly and sweet and too overpoweringly sugary.

I am wailing and gnashing my teeth as i wanted to love it like 2004s version.

BRING THE OLD STYLE BACK.

In the bottle: It really is gingerbread! Smooshy gingerbread with whipped cream on top. Very sweet and decadent.

Wet: Buttery sweet molasses and ginger powder. It's almost like gingerbread with the hard sugar icing on top, it's very gingerbread.

Dry: The downside is that the sugar is too strong on the drydown compared to the buttery or molasses scents.

Category: Foody/Sweet

Rating: 5/5, PERFECT gingerbread.

Overall: Don't think I will ever really wear this because it makes me so damn hungry. It would be nice to wear if I ever want to fool someone into thinking I'm making gingerbread cookies or cakes or something. Don't know if I'd even use it as a room scent, unless my gingerbread doesn't smell as good (and I suspect it couldn't.) Would make a LOVELY lotion or bath potion.

gingerbreadpoppet.jpg

Bottle: Straight up gingerbread batter. Brown sugar, honey, a bit of butter, spices, even a hint of flour. Amazing.

Wet: This really stays pretty true to the bottle. Just ooey-gooey-wonderful gingerbread batter.

Dry: This loses the doughy and buttery/battery qualities upon drying. Which is good. Jack and gluttony were nice foodies but too buttery for me. Its a gorgeous freshly baked gingerbread. The lab's description says it all.

Overall: This is gingerbread like your grandma used to make. Not the diluted, spiceless, overly sweet gingerbread you find in modern supermarkets. This is gingerbread when it was SASSY--full of spice, and not for wussies! I adore this blend. I will covet my little bottle til next yule (when i hope it is re-released!).

Oh, and great staying power. I am still huffing my wrists 11 hrs later!!!! :P

In the bottle: Almost smells more like oatmeal cookie dough to me than gingerbread.

On: Oh yeah, now I get the gingerbread scent. Oh happy happy day! I just wish I had thought to order more than one bottle! Oh well, there's always next Yule....

ADDED Jan. 23:

I would just like to say that next year, I need to order multiple bottles of this. I've been wearing it for 3 days now, and it just keeps smelling better and better.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet!

I rather like this one, but I can see it getting only limited use. A little will last me, and not out of dislike. I just don't have many places I can wear this.

This scent is delicious, though. It's warm and buttery, with brown sugar notes and clove. It's exactly how I'd wanted the baseline in Jack to smell, and it does indeed smell divine with Jack. On its own, though, GP is lovely, but more of a warm wintry smell for the months before Christmas. After the holidays, I'm afraid I prefer to take a break from the sugary sweet festivities for darker, sharper notes. However, GP is perfect for before!

In the bottle:

Gingerbread, what else? :P

On me:

Oh this is gingerbread alright, smells just like the real deal. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly so, it's got the subtle spice of nutmeg, and the smooth sweetness of honey and brown sugar. It's very foody, of course, so if foody isn't your thing, this probably isn't going to appeal to you.

Final note:

However, despite that this smells NICE, I really just don't like it. I have discovered this holiday season - not only through BPAL but through another place where I got gingerbread scented items - that though I like the smell of gingerbread in relation to the actual food item - I don't want to smell like it. It kind of gives me a headache and ultimately I can't see myself wearing this. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the scent. But between it not being for me and me not having any reason to really wear this, I think I should have stuck to my initial instinct to stay away from foody scents.

Edited by Brianne

This scent was a real disappointment to me. :P It smelled intruiging and very.. festive in the bottle, but on me, it turned very sharp and bitter. I gave it second and third chances, but I get no gingerbread love.

i should just order every bpal foody-scent as a matter of course...i haven't met one i didn't get along splendidly with, and gingerbread poppet is no exception. i ordered it impulsively one night, as an addition to another order, and i'm glad i did; it's truly drool-worthy - molassses and cinnamon in uncooked gingerbread dough...reminds me of the cinnamon-graham cracker cheesecake-crust in beaver moon...god, it's just so yummy...cozy, and fun.

How have I not reviewed this yet? :P

This is sweet, spicy, gingery wonderfulness. This is yummy without being too foody for me, and perks me up and makes me feel fiesty. I wouldn't mind it being a bit stronger, but I am more than happy to slather this. So lovely.

I bought this LE unsniffed because I KNEW I would love it. I love ginger, I love foody scents, how could it go wrong?

Whoa. It is way, way, WAY too rich on me. It is -- and this sounds ridiculous given my fondness for foody scents -- TOO foody for me. Stupid chemistry.

I already got rid of the bottle, but I'm keeping the imp I got (after I had ordered a bottle, heh) to try out as a room scent next winter.

First sniff of the bottle and I started to panic. Would the delicious foodiness therein fall prey to my skin chemistry and its tendency to ruin the most gorgeous bakery scents for me?

But no. On my skin, this is just lovely. I don't find it too spicy or doughy at all. It's just this really nice ginger cookie, still raw. It think it's that raw quality that keeps it from being overwhelmingly foodie or spicy.

I'm sorry this is so short, but this is from my notes taken way long ago in October at the Chicago Meetup. But any little bit helps?

This review is of '04, incidentally.

All I got from Gingerbread Poppet was a really really intense molasses scent, with none of the spices I got from, say, Three Witches.

Smelled nice (albeit not what I was expecting), but ultimately way, way too foody for me.

In bottle and wet -- Gingerbread, the soft kind, not gingersnaps

Drying down -- Still gingerbread, there's even a little baking powder type tang to it.

Dry -- It doesn't seem to change much at all. Unlike Shub-Niggurath, there's no evil undernote; if Shub is Evil Gingerbread, this is Good Gingerbread. I think Shub wins out with me, but I'll keep this one. It's about as close to foody that I want to go and I've been informed I shouldn't wear it when Nancy's hungry.

Rating: 8.5/10

In the bottle:

Very buttery with an equal part of each spice. There's almost a boozy buttered rum note to this. Very dark and sweet.

Initial Scent (on skin):

Pretty much smells like it does in the bottle with a heavy top note of butter and boozy spicy undertones.

Staying Power:

This lasts only a few hours on my skin. The scent doesnt change too much only that the spice mellows a bit.

2005 edition

I've bought a bottle unsniffed at the last minute, so it'd better be good, let me tell you! :P

First whiff: in the bottle, it's absolutely scrumptious, like liquefied speculoos (or Graham Crackers). As soon as it hits my skin, though, it... dulls down. It's very sweet, the "brown" part and the sugar from the gingerbread are there, but the spices are feeble and lacking.

Drydown: the "brown-ness" and sugar amp up, and it almost smells over-cooked, by this point - not burnt, the moment just before, if that makes any sense ^^

I have the burn sugar problem in many foody blends, and it's worth noting that I don't have the problem at all with GP.

It keeps on being almost-gingerbread-about-to-be-overcooked for hours, then dries down to a pleasant brown sugar scent.

Verdict: it's... OK, I guess. I didn't get the wonderful spice explosion I was hoping - but mind you, I would have probably loved it if I hadn't had such high expectations to start with.

8/10

Edited by Shollin