Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

My very first try of BPAL! I love vanilla and the description sounded just too good not to get.

In Bottle: Some cross between angel food cake and sugar cookies. Yummy.

Application: Still sugar cookies for a minute or so, then VANILLA. Wow. Very strong vanilla, though not offensively strong.

Dry: Still very vanilla, but once in a while there's a bit of something citrus-y. Like, lemony-cake. So much love. Huge amount of throw, though that may be inexperience and putting maybe a little too much on. Everyone else in the house claims to still only smell the vanilla, but I'm definitely getting a little something else under it. After a while, I get alternating straight vanilla and angel food cake again. Once in a while a bit of ...I'm not sure, but I think it's the currants, underneath the vanilla.

Later: Four hours later, the vanilla's pretty much won out over everything, and the scent's still going. Very nice.

Verdict: It's so yummy, I was constantly smelling my wrist! Perfect results for my first try! So getting a big bottle when my imp runs out. :P

5/5 Edited by gnl

Second time trying this, courtesy of a friend. Thank God, because I'd forgotten how nice it was.

IN THE IMP: Sweet, buttery vanilla cake with tangy currants. SO yummy.

WET: Loses the fruity tang from the currants. It also somehow smells less foody than before, even though the only way I can think of to describe the scent is "sweet and cake-like".

DRY: Mmm, just sweet vanilla cake. It's not as bakery-ish as before, though. It's just so warm and sweet that it makes me happy just sniffing it.

Maybe I've mentioned this before: vanilla is the anti-me. Also, I amp grapes like it's my business, and currants often go grapey on me. So let's just say, I wasn't expecting a lot going in to Eat Me:

In the imp: slightly cakey. Definitely slightly fruity cakey.

After pulling the wand out of the imp: Oh my goodness. This doesn't smell sorta like cake. This smells EXACTLY like cake. Delicious spongey layer cake with sort of a berry jam filling and fondant on the outside. I have to fight the urge to gnaw on my arm. My husband, who is often critical about the authenticity of foodie scents, agrees that this smells exactly like cake. Yum.

On me, wet: Just like it is on the wand! Oh! It's blissssssssss!

On me, dry: This develops a real spiciness to it somewhere along the line. Must be the currants. Some of the sponge cake smell rescinds, so that the currants really rule this scent. But you know what? I don't care. I still want to eat my arm. This still smells awesome.

Throw and duration: very very strong throw on me. I don't usually like things with big throws as I worry about stinking other people out. But cake has overruled my better judgement and I'm wearing this guy out of the house anyway. Duration's pretty good as well-- I get about an hour of full on CAKE followed by six or seven hours of spicy currants.

Overall: If you couldn't tell, I love this. It doesn't smell like anything I thought I wanted to smell like. It turns out I was wrong. This seriously rules.

Definitely keeping the imp. Maybe springing for a full bottle some day when my wishlist is a little smaller and my pockets a little fuller.

I was supposed to be in love with this scent! I almost bought a big bottle nose unsmelled lol!

ok in the bottle I get a sweet almost alcoholly vanilla smell....not unpleaseant. on wet it goes straight to berry play dough ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww after like a minute I smell a hint of some of the smell I love in drink me and its good but it goes back to almsot a fakey sweetness. after a little while a beauitful berry smell comes forth but it really doesn't last for more than a half an hour and for the rest of the time I get a sweet and almsot spicy smell that does nothing for mer at all.

I will try it again in a week or so I think because i relaly want to love this.

In vial: sweet, but less foody than I expected. It reminds me of another BPAL, but I can't quite place it. More currants than cake.

Wet on skin: almost boozy - like currant wine.

Dry on skin: I'm not getting a lot of cake, but there is an underlying sweetness beneath the currant wine. Quite a lot of throw, so you only need a little bit. Nice, and not too foody.

ETA: it's like sponge cake soaked in sweet wine.

Edited by Lyrical

In the imp, this is a buttery-fruity cakey smell. Mmmm. I got this in the hopes of finding the perfect vanilla. :P

Wet on my skin, this is primariliy the fruity currant, not much cake or vanilla at all.

Drying, it takes on a cakier (?) feel, with the currant still playing at the forefront. I can definitely smell the cake now, though. This is a lighter, less boozy cousin of MB: Closet (which I liked but was a bit too much for me). I was hoping this would be a bit heavier on the vanilla and less cakey-curranty. I think I should probably re-try it at some point when I have less of an expectation going in.

Edit: This smells just like B&BW's Sensual Black Currant Vanilla stuff. I got some of the massage oil over the weekend and it is a dead ringer. This is definitely growing on me. Om nom nom.

Edited by Christine Daae

This scent lives up to its name: Violently luscious and edible, almost an invitation to nibble (though you'll want to wait until it's dried, of course. ^.^)

Cake, fresh juicy currants, and a mellow lick of frosting -- it smells exactly as described on me, lasts for around two hours without reapplying, carries a very light throw, and will be one that I will decant into a rollerball for even easier toting around when I want this kind of smell. I may buy a bottle of this at some point, though not until after I've used up my imp and have left myself hungry for a gap exactly the shape of a 5 ml bottle that says "Eat Me".

Bottle: Sugary cake. On: Fruit, icing, cake...delicious! It's very much like Monsterbait: Bloody Mary. :P On drydown I get a plastic powder sugar when I inhale directly from my wrist, but wafting up, it's still as good as ever. Sadly it fades way too quickly. I'm going to try this again, perhaps in a locket, because I really want to like it.

ETA: Before I went to class last night, I pretty much slathered this on. As soon as I walked into class, my teacher asked what I was wearing (Umm.... :D ). So this time the throw and stay time were very good. And I got no plastic smell. I'm going to see how long the imp lasts before I decide about buying a bottle.

Edited by DogNPonyShow

Mmmmm.... Like vanilla wedding cake. I got very little currant at first, and now, almost 5 hours later the currant is completely gone from my skin but remains a bit in the scent locket. But I'm ok with that because I smell like lusciously vanilla wedding cake!

This wedding cake is totally decadent and whimsical in my mind, something like this:

cake253.jpg

But the cake itself is all vanilla flavored. Yummmmmmmmmy.

I had high hopes for this scent, but it was only "meh" to me.

Bottle: vanilla, cakey, nuttiness.

Wet: I get a juicy berry mixed in with the cake.

Dry: Cakey/berry. At one point, however, I swear I smelled vomit. Yes, vomit. It vanished almost as quickly as I smelled it, but still. I got the vomit smell twice.

Throw: Average

Wearlength: long.

I'll be giving it a second chance, but if I get vomit again, I'll chuck it out the window. :P

At first this smells like a disgusting cacophony of smells (who KNOWS what my skin was amping?), but once it dries it smells like angel food cake! Mmmm. Very light, but mmmm.

In the imp, Eat Me is white cake with very sugary frosting. Wet on my skin, it's currants over white cake, but no vanilla. Drying, it's all very currants. Dry, it's juicy currants and maybe some vanilla. I like this a lot, but I don't need a bottle right now.

On me this one smells exactly like a warm sponge cake with raspberry jam. Gorgeous, but not something I'd want to smell like every day.

How come my stubborn nose won't pick up any of the good foody scents? I get something almost manly smelling with a sickly sweet twist. No sweet white cake ... *sigh* I'm sad.

In the imp, it was allll vanilla.

This is all vanilla cake on me. There might possibly be a very sweet currant jam filling inside the heavily frosted, very vanilla cake. Maybe.

It's lasting pretty well, but, though I like some vanilla scents this one is just way too foody for my taste.

I suspect my slight distaste for the scent has to do with my distaste for the practice of smushing wedding cake in your new spouse's face at the reception of your wedding. This scent is pretty much a wedding cake scent to me, and I don't like the idea of wearing wedding cake. Fortunately, I married a guy who agreed with me that smushing wedding cake in each other's faces would not be amusing. This must mean I found the right guy for me. *

This scent, though, is heading straight for the swap pile.

*Disclaimer. I don't mean to criticize anyone else for participating in this modern tradition. I didn't want to do it, and I was amazed at the pressure applied by mere acquaintances when I expressed that I didn't want to do it. It's my face. If I don't want cake in my face at my wedding, no-one should tell me that I am being a spoilsport! Soooooo, wearing a scent that smells like wedding cake? Just not for me. Might fit someone else really well though.

Vanilla and berries, in a cakey sort of way :P Does exactly what it sets out to do, with a decent throw and a scent that just makes me smile! :D

In the vial: It smelled similiar to cockaigne but with berry.

On the skin: White cakey with blueberry.

Dry down: vanilla cake. Not much blueberry. It's actually quite strong on me which is surprising since white cake scents are very faint. I love this a lot more than cockaigne. I can almost smell the soft fluffy texture of the cake.

In The Bottle

Strong, sharp currant. The vanilla is there but not very obvious at this stage.

On Application

Again strong currant but as it warms the vanilla sweetens it up.

Dry Down

I so get the cakey reference 5 minutes in. This is so edible. :P I agree with previous postings that this is not as heavy as I thought it would be and also not as sweet. The currants and the vanilla keep each other in check. I am really loving this plus I am so waiting for someone to ask me what I'm wearing so I can say "eat me!"

Rating (0-5)

Full Wear Test

Absolutely gorgeous. Just needs a touch up when the tartness of the currents is needed back.

Edited by galahad

Foooooody. Obviously. It's slightly alcoholic, like a cake or candy you bite into unwittingly only to find it filled with that gooey sticky liqueur that makes your cheeks flush.

I received it as an imp, and will not buy a bottle. I will keep and occasionally wear the imp, though... it will join Jack and Grog in my little food/alcohol collection. In general, foody scents just aren't my thing.

Edit--

The scent shifts in a neat way. After a while I keep smelling... I'm not sure what, but it's something red. And whiffs of cream. Most of the alcohol has fled, leaving behind something gentler than I expected.

Edited by mazikeen

In the bottle I smelled fruit, I couldn't place what type of fruit but I didn't get any of the cake that others were talking about

untill...

On my skin it suddenly turned into cake. It reminded me of a sweet soft powdery cake.

As it dried an image of two white soft cakes layered ontop of eachother came to mind, the middle was a warm jam, raspberry or strawberry, with light frosting on the top.

I keep finding myself going to sniff my wrist and loving what I find there. If you like candy and sweets this one is for you!

Finally, I get to review my one and only favorite Alice in Wonderland Scent! B)

I have two bottles (1 aged for 2 years and the other 4 months)

Wet in bottle: Vanilla cake love! :D Makes me want to bake a vanilla cake!

Wet on Skin: Currant :) ! Blessedly my skin amps black currant and it smells divine with the vanilla cake. Like Black Currant Jam smeared over a warm vanilla cake cloud! (I am so sorry but this is the one foody scent that makes me hungry for cake!)

Dry Down: Vanilla Cake and Currant Love. Long throw. Aged, it has only gotten better! The vanilla has gotten richer and sweeter! ;)

My only point of concern is that when people ask me what I am wearing, I say "eat me" it makes me blush a little! :P :D

This was my first BPAL purchase I just knew I would love it so I cut the foreplay and got a bottle instead of an imp. I have to say this almost makes me want to lick my arm because it just smells that yummy.

In the bottle: Dark golden brown amber oil. Sweet, foody (but not excessively) fruity, a little tart, a little perfumy. White cake, creamy vanilla frosting, tart jelly and deep jammy fruit, with a hint of florals.

Wet: Less foody, less sweet; more fruity and perfumey. Still a lot of cake and especially FROSTING. I'm reminded of Coldstone cake batter ice cream. Definitely a CREAMY scent, but offset by the dual currants, which are both bright, juicy and deep all at once. Contrary to others this is not the most foody scent I have tried by any stretch.

Dry: Less and less cakey. Still quite creamy, but in a way that's not quite foody anymore. It is rather rich and decadent feeling, but not cloying so. The vanilla is light, and there's a lovely cream note that reminds me of the cream accord in Schlafende Baigneuse. The juicy red currant has faded a bit, but jammy black currant holds and has taken on earthy and herbal notes. Still lightly floral.

Later: Drat, this is a slatherer for sure. It fades very rapidly, which is very unusual for sweeter scents on my skin. The currant is the note that holds best, but even it doesn't last long. beyond that annoyance, this settles into a creamy, fruity scent - it's really unlike anything in BPAL I've tried, though I imagine Crumpet Rebellion might be similar.

Summary: The black currant note in this, which dominates by far, is so unique and reminds me a bit of the huckleberry in April Fool. It's got some lovely earthy, herbal undertones, while also being dark and ripe and rich. The red currant is sadly lighter but does provide a bit of tart juiciness. These offset the light but velvety vanilla base perfectly, and faint white florals keep the blend from being foody. Sweet, fruity, creamy, feminine and surprisingly complex. Great throw but poor lasting power.

I would have never tried this on my own or sought it out but I love it and will probably get a bottle. BPAL, you constantly surprise me!