Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
coulrophobe

The Mock Turtle's Lessons

Not quite Turtle Soup: blurry aquatic notes, with a confusing, contrary splort of iris, ambrette, green apple, vodka, white mint and a squish of lime.

Expectations: Well, I'd been looking for a lime & mint. Green apple and vodka sound fine. I'm a bit uncertain about the rest of the combination.

In vial: Light and juicy. Can't identify individual notes, but why the heck is this one a tiny bit powdery?

On skin, wet: Oh right, aquatic notes suck. This is the same problem I had with Obatala...a potentially beautiful scent, if it hadn't been so diluted.

On skin, dry: Faintly musky. So faint that I have to practically inhale my arm to figure out what I'm smelling.

After time: After 15 minutes, I'm finally getting a little bit of the mint, but it's mint/musk/vodka with none of the juicy sweet fruits. Another 5 minutes and it's very powdery musk.

Conclusion: Big thumbs down. Can I have a mock Mock Turtle, without the aquatics, iris, or ambrette?

I'm SO trying to stop buy so many aquatic notes....I have far more than I need and I'm glad to be one of the lucky few (it seems) that gets good long wear out of aquatics. But this is such a funny blend, I love it! Mint and lime with a cool splash of vodka in there (not too much though, I can't be smelling boozy.) This would make a great summer scent for sure.

*resists temptation*

The apple was very strong for me in the imp, all yummy and juicy, but the fruit disappeared entirely once on my wrist. It seems to have been taken over by sickly-sweet powder smell, which I confess is a little disappointing. And I wish I could smell the mint and lime!

OMG I REALLY LOVE THIS. :P I am a relative n00b but this is curently my #1 bpal scent. okay, review time.

sweetly minty in the bottle, with a alcoholic tinge.

WOOO sweet apple-mintiness with a beautifully subtle floral and that "squish of lime" right behind it! the aquatic notes and the vodka aren't really "present" but lend a lightness/water to the scent overall. the floral gains strength in the drydown, as well as the aquatic notes, and it still retains that appley sweetness--I think its the aqua/vodka that keeps the sweetness from being gross and cloying and ugh("coughwhiterabbitcough*). ITS JUST...that PERFECT level of sweetness that I really like....I don't dislike vanilla or fruitiness but they're usually too overpowering and nauseating for me. BUT MOCK TURTLE IS SOOOO PERFECT, IT EVEN HAS MINT AND LIME AND I REALLY REALLY LIKE MINT. AND. THAT WHITE FLORAL, OMG! :D yes, all caps are necessary in this context!

um so I really loev Mock Turtle guyz. I just wish it lasted longer, but the top notes(well, this is pretty much just made out of top notes only) last longer than they do in other scents and o man did I mention the LOEV I have for this?

What a strange combination! It smells like the ocean, mint...and apples? I kind of like it, but it fades so quickly.

ETA: Over 30 minutes later the mint and apples have disappeared, and it's straight ocean. And the throw increased over time, too. Amazing! I am really loving this now.

Edited by savage_rose

Bottle: Beautiful mint & sea-breeze & apple.

Wet: Same as above, but a little warmer

Dry down: The mint starts being kind of an "afterthought," then completely evaporates. The apple fades to nothing as well. It's more seabreeeze and something warm &... spice? Something that makes my nose tingle a little. Is that lime & gin as well? I also keep getting a feeling of "orange" which is different than "an orange"). This is something wholly unusual for me. I don't usually associate scent with colors. But, this smells like "orange."

After 1.5 hours: Almost everything is completely gone. Just something warm and vaguely reminiscent of the way my skin smells after a day at the beach- minus sunblock. This fades very fast, but I like it while it lasts

--- aged----2017---

What was that gum? With the strong spearmint note? Doublemint? I get a blast of that straight out of the bottle & when wet. Kinda over powers anything else.

After a bit, the iris comes out to play and grows (probably because my skin nowadays amps iris/orris). I can feel the amber in it (amber never "develops" on me tho). Everything else kind of melted together into a faint "gin" sort of fragrance, that fades away fast. After an hour mint/iris/touch of amber.

Edited by Lemonlife

A light-hearted, powdery amber with a swirl of aquatic fruit.

It takes amber and gives it a green hue.

Very fun, and strangely attractive and sexy!

Unique. Not in the way that I expected from the list of notes, but it gives exactly the "confusing, contrary" impression that Beth intends, while being balanced and beautiful at the same time. A winner!

A must-try for amber fans, this is a prime example of the finest quality.

4.5 out of 5

Not sure quite what I expected this to be from the description, but it isn't it at all.

After a few hours, I'm left with a very rich amber scent that I adore.

Yet another winner from Mad Tea Party!

I wanted to try this for the apple mixed with the aquatic. In the imp, I do get what I think is apple-sweetness, but once it's on, it's all aquatic. It drops the sweetness and just gets watery. Which is not a bad thing. In fact, it's lovely. But Mock Turtle goes into hiding too soon on me, and I have to do some nose-pressed-to-skin sniffing to get a whiff of it.

I'm glad I got to try it, though! It's very nice!

Wet in imp - Aquatic notes for sure, a tiny bit of green apple and mint, very light and fresh.

Wet on skin - The green apple is gone, this smells more like conventional cologne.

Dry on skin - Alas, I only get aquatic notes now, with no vodka, mint or apples.

In bottle/imp: Slightly aquatic, plus hints of crisp apple, sweet florals, and a little mint.

Immediately on skin: This is a little sweet, a little aquatic, and a touch tart. This feels aquatic, but the blend isn’t drowned out by it. There’s also a bit of crisp green apple, sweet floral notes, and a hint of very light mint. It’s very refreshing and cool while also being lightly fruity and floral.

After a little while: This dries down to something not as impressive as when I first put it on. The cool aquatic feel is still present, and the apple, but that’s about it. It smells sort of like apple shampoo or something… it’s clean and apple-y at the same time, but that’s about it.

Overall Impressions: This one started out very complex but the drydown was sort of disappointing. The aquatic fruity floral mint scent that I first smelled dried down to generic apple shampoo. This is lovely on other people I’m sure, but not on me.

The mint definitely takes a front row seat here. The aquatic notes sort of stay in the background for the duration. This is a really interesting scent. I'm not normally one for light, fresh smells but this one is intriguing. Unfortunately, it didn't last very long on my skin, and by midday, it had disappeared altogether.

wet/in imp: apples and mint

dry: apples, lime, slight aquatic smelling and whiffs of iris.

not for me.

So this is the apple note...yummy. :P I definitely detect that the most, as well as the mint, and a hint of lime, both of which add a coolness and freshness to the candylike sweetness of the apple. (At least, from a distance; when I come in close for a sniff, the tartness of both notes asserts itself and indeed gives a mischeivous and contrary jolt to my nose.) It truly is wet and aquatic, but in an...alcoholic sort of way. In fact, looking at the notes, it sounds like it would make for a really good cocktail. Gotta try that, sometime. :D

It lasted all day, and had a pretty decent throw. I found myself sniffing my wrist quite a lot with this one. I think I'll hang onto it for a while. :D

This smelled like bubblegum on my skin. It may or not be the aquatic notes mingled with the lime, apple, and mint, but I'm not too certain. All I can say is that the bubblegum smell = :P

In the Bottle: Aquatic mint pure and simple.

On the Wrist: Wet its aquatic mint tea. Dry down of strong floral with a bit of the aquatic mint remaining.

Overall: I was hoping for something more purely aquatic. I like the scent but its too strong for me. I could probably stand it better if I diluted it.

Airy, watery, and minty. It starts off slightly sweet, due to the green apple and mint. I detect a mix of light florals and the sheer crispness of The Mock Turtle's Lesson is surprisingly comforting. After it dries down the mint becomes less dominant, and the lime, green apple and iris really standout.

This is a great summer blend. Very refreshing and since I adore airy, aquatic scents this is a big hit with me. Not too sweet, and very light and fresh.

i think i am one of the only one's who's not smelling mint here. i definitely smell the aquatic notes and some lime but really nothing else. i also think it's a bit powdery and by the way i'm describing you'd think i didn't like it but i actually love it. was hoping for some more apple and mint but it's still pretty!

Well, this didn't quite work on me. It's an aquatic -- which to me is a rather vague smell anyway -- with a touch of something that might be the vodka. In short, it was boring. :P

Better luck for someone else!

I don't get much "aquatic" from this at all, despite the description--maybe a bit of saltiness but that's about it. I get VODKA! and mint and a bit of fresh green apple. The result is so refreshing and crisp! I'd love to try a cocktail that smells like this.

I don't like aquatics, so I let my son test this on his wrist and sniffed him periodically :P

Wet, I definitely picked up the mint -- the same scent as the mint in my yard, some heirloom hybrid that isn't peppermint or spearmint but has rounded, crinkled fuzzy leaves and smells delicious. I also got the lime but funnily enough, I could have sworn I smelled cucumber too.

As it dried the iris came out with a slight fruitiness that might have been the apple (but I didn't smell apple per se). And yup, aquatics.

Pleasant enough in a way reminiscent of a shampoo or body wash. Not for me.

In the Imp

Apple, lime and mint. The smell reminds me of a scented green marker I had when I was a child.

On My Skin

The apple and the mint are really standing out. This is a very light refreshing scent which at this point is staying close to my skin.

After a Bit

This is a bright scent that mainly focuses on the mint and apple. It isn’t a combination that sounds like it would be good for a perfume, but this turns out wonderfully.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 3.3 Throw - 2.5 Longevity – 3

Overall (not an average) – 3

Final thoughts

I’ll use my imp of this but I need to give it a full wear before I decide whether or not it’s bottle worthy.

Imp: light and fresh; apple, vodka, and white mint...

Wet: more apple, maybe that squish of lime...not much aquatic or iris

Oh yum! Minty and refreshing without being reminiscent of breath mints, bright apple, light pretty florals, and lime! A wonderful refreshing spring fragrance. The Mad Tea Party Strikes Again!