Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Closet

Bourbon blackberry buttercream over red velvet cake.

yu diddly um!!! :P this is EXTREMELY foody, even more so than midway, imo, but damn, it is delicious.

in the imp i can smell all of the listed notes, with the buttercream and red velvet cake being the strongest. the bourbon is really light, but definately present, and the black berry i can only smell if i take a really deeeeeep breath- then it's like the last thing i detect, but it's there too. mostly i'm getting red velvet cake, with really rich, creamy frosting and the *tiniest* touch of berry. which, by the way isn't necessarily black berry, to my nose. it could just as easily be strawberry. but it's really yummy regardless.

once i have this on for a while the bourbon and berry notes all but diminish, which disappointed me a little. this is one that i really hoped would smell EXACTLY the same on me as it did in the bottle, but it did change a little bit. it faded down to all red velvet cake, which was still good, as it's one of my favorite confections! unforunately though, about an hour after slathering myself in this (i used over half my imp on the first application!!) it had totally disappeared. the throw is next to none on me too, but those are the only down sides to this. otherwise mb: closet is definately a winner and i'll be tracking down a bottle, the sooner the better!!

Mmm… boozy berries. Wow, I’m happy I got myself a whole bottle of this. After the initial drydown the buttercream frosting comes out and smells so sinfully wicked… I want to lick the bowl, spoon, beaters and any drops that were flung onto the countertop!! I’m also getting a sweet sugary fruity smell – I guess from the blackberry… it definitely has that small, dark berry tinge of sweetness to it. It finally settles into a sweet berry frosting on me that’s making me yearn for cupcakes… and some red velvet cake which I haven’t had in forever. Although, I never caught a whiff of the red velvet cake I’m still wanting some to eat… lol.

I can relate to the people who got the b.o. scent from Closet Monster. I always get that odor from blackberry scents, but the promise of bourbon, buttercream and red velvet cake was too much to resist and I took a chance. The first time I tried Closet Monster, I got the awful b.o. scent, I think it's actually the blackberry leaves that I'm interpreting that way. But as it dried down, I got the wonderful boozy buttercream note and it convinced me to keep the little monster around. I'm so glad I did because now I don't even mind the blackberry note, I'm actually learning to enjoy it :D . I've even swapped for a second bottle of this wonderful perfume. BTW, I don't get any red velvet cake either, but I'm still crazy about the frosting on it :P

Monsterbait: Closet has the opposite affect on me from the other two MBs. This one I loved at first, but not so much later. I do like it but...I have mixed feelings about it.

For the first hour or so I wear it, it actually smells like the description. I love the blackberry note. But then after that time *sniffs wrist* it's gone! *looks around in panic* Underpants and Underbed last on me for several hours, but this one went bye bye much too quickly.

Except...in my scent locket. Locket to the rescue! In my locket, it stays very true when I sniff it directly. It's very much what I expected Eat Me to smell like, but with blackberry instead of currant. Even so, I'm finding that I keep getting slammed with a very rich cheesecake-scented throw quite often. It's...um...nice and all, but the richness is starting to get to my stomach. :P

Monsterbait:Closet is a delicate smelling cake on my wrist. It is very yummy with just enough blackberry to temper the sweet cake batter. I don't normally like BPAL berry smells, but blackberry doesn't have the sharp insistance that other berry blends such as Jester have, its far more moderate and pleasing to my nose. MD:C is not teeth achingly sweet like Midway or Gluttony and it has similarities with Eat Me which may be an acceptable alternative!

But I am gutted that I didn't get a bottle :P

in the bottle: cakey berries with that hint of booze. Its a wonderful warm scent in the bottle, almost light even. Not the in your face scent that Underbed is.

wet on the skin: The scent of frosting truly comes out and the berries and cake all fuse for a wonderful scent.

on drydown (10-20 minutes): As it starts to dry it all goes wrong. Terribly wrong. It is my skin and I don't know which note is causing it but it smells of dirty socks :D I am so so so sad about how this turns on me. After about 30 minutes the dirty socks smell goes away and smells of lovely cake but I cannot get past the transition period. My skin hates Closet :P

If I had kept the bottle, it would have made a truly lovely room scent. It is a foody lovers dream though!

This is my new favorite blend.

In the bottle it's a bright, true blackberry with subtle vanilla.

On my skin it's pretty much the same, but after a while the vanilla really comes through. After a few hours the blackberry is in the background and the vanilla takes on more of a buttercream frosting and cake scent. Divine.

It's syrupy, fresh, sweet and beautiful. Foody, indeed, but also very beautiful. Not your average fruity-foody blend.

The description of this one was one of the things that lured me to BPAL in the first place. It was part of my first order, way back in April, and one of the very first scents I tried. Blackberries--I love blackberries! And buttercream! And cake!

Didn't work out quite that way in practice, however. After reading some of the forum reviews, I developed a theory that there may be three types of people in the world: the people for whom this scent turns into blackberries and booze, the people who end up smelling like cake, and those who seem to be able to pull off all the notes beautifully. Unfortunately, I fall into the first category, which leaves me smelling like I've gone on a bender with blackberry schnapps. :P

On first application, this is reminiscent of Beaver Moon, but the blackberry and bourbon quickly slam over any cake notes. Wow! It's sweet and boozy for a good while, but it eventually dries down to a sharply sweet cream. I get a tiniest bit of stale-scented-plastic underneath, as I usually do with baked-good-type scents, but it's suppressed underneath the blackberry. I suspect this scent isn't one for me, but it's delicious nonetheless.

this is my first BPAL scent, and man am I glad it's a bottle and I have an imp on the way.

At first sniff I thought 'woah! berries!' they come at you like a wall of fragrant juicy-sweet, with something warmer and butter-sweet underneath. On the skin, the berries recede slowly, and the yummy bourbon notes emerge. Complementing the bourbon is this rich sweet scent that I suppose must be the buttercream. Over time, the scent dwindles, to leave a hint of rich sort-of-but-not-quite-vanilla something that must be the red velvet cake, lingering on the skin with faintest traces of the bourbon. Not my signature scent, but I'm definately glad I have a lot of it :P

ETA: 0.0 this really is monster bait! men just don't leave me alone when I wear this. and y'all told me Snake Oil was sex in a bottle...

Edited by myoubi

My least favorite of the monster series but that said I still love it. It has more of a boozy smell to it that the others...less chocolate. And I do smell berries. Still worth having a bottle

This was an extremely generous sniffie+1 (tiny bit in the bottom) frimp from Deana. Thanks Deana!

In the imp: Strawberry cake. The kind with the cream cheese frosting on top and strawberry jelly stuff in between layers. Great, now I'm starving. This is VERY foody. It instantly put me in mind of wanting to eat something sweet and covered in frosting.

On the wrist, wet: Oh food. Oh buggering, sodding food scented wrist. There's a little itty bitty bit of a bourbon smell to this, but mostly it smells like cake. Like a big, fluffy, delicious, right to my thighs cake. The sort of food I have sworn off. Oh thank god it's getting boozier.

On the wrist, dry: It's definitely got booze in it, but that's not enough to make it not smell like some sugary sweet cake. *sniff* Ye gods I need to wash this off before I bite myself!

Final Analysis: I love the smell of this, I was glued to my wrist. However, I will gain 50 lbs if I wear this consistently, and that is why I am passing this sniffie+1 off to my friend Eoife. She doesn't know what she's getting herself into... :P

Imp: Buttery sweet with a creamy chaser. Its not nearly as berry-ish as I expected--but since I'm not a huge berry fan, that's a good thing.

Wet: This gets a "drier" feel when its on. Buttery and creamy and a hint berryish. It smells sweet and buttery, rather than boozy, as I'd expect from the bourbon.

Drying: The buttery/darkly fruity scent of this reminds me of the pumpkin patch that includes pomegranate….It really smells yummy, but there is a tinge….a tinge of something that may decide not to work with me--sort of a burnt plastic-y sugar smell.

Dry: Buttery, sweet, kind of like lightly caramelized sugar and a faint fruit. The plastic-y note is slight, and is purely a result of my own uncooperative skin chem--I can't imagine what note is doing that, usually coconut does that for me, but this doesn't have coconut listed… Unfortunately, after 30 mins the plastic gest worse and goes caustic. This stage lasts until around the 2 hour mark, then dissipates a bit, letting a montressor like deep winey fruit smell come out. Its like montressor + burnt plastic.

Overall: Burnt sugar/plastic is no good. Damn skin chem. I really liked the beginning phase, but it just wasn't meant to be.

in the bottle - sweet... creamy...

wet - vanilla cake!! sweet, rich, home-made vanilla cake with buttery notes. Just a wee smidge of a hint of berries. black? raspberries? subtle blackberries. it's all fading, but I'm also sniffing pretty hard and only a teeny dab at that.

it's softening, melding together.

dry - Very nice and blending to a blackberry cake now with a splash of butteriness. a dense cake with full berries waiting for a bite, a fluffy vanilla frosting on top, not too sweet, dotted with berries and syrup drizzles

Edited by Gypsybaby

Wet this is buttery vanilla, frosting and berries- yum! When first on this is red berries and sugar with a bit of sharpness too- like the green leaves of the berries. After about an hour the green note fades and the vanilla warms up and mixes with the berries. This is a fairly long lasting blend on me. Berry-licious and sure to attract many monsters! :P

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't grab a bottle of this when it first came out (although, in my defense, at the time I had never tried a foody perfume, and didn't realize how wonderful they are!), 'cause it's damn wonderful.

When I first got my bottle, as soon as I opened the package I was afraid it had leaked, 'cause I could smell CAKE right away. Further unwrapping and investigation proved this not to be the case: it's just a strong little guy.

In the bottle: Cake batter. Straight up. When I smell this in the bottle I can even see the cake batter, in that stage right before you mix it up all the way so there are still little lumps. Hooray for lumpy cake batter! :P

Wet on the skin: Still cake-a-licious, but now there's a buttery, creamy note. No blackberry, but it's still oh-so-wonderful.

Drying/dry: As the oil begins its drydown, the blackberries start to come out, and get stronger the longer it dries. It's last stage is the perfect combination of all the notes, and it really does smell just like a big ol' piece of velvet cake, complete with icing and fresh, juicy blackberries.

Overall: There's not a thing about this that I don't love. Every stage is wonderful, the throw is just right, and it last and lasts. I'm probably going to have to look for some more bottles to hoard.

10/10

Edited by columbus jones

just received my bottle yesterday, purchased from a lovely forumite...

I may have mentioned this a few other times, but I'm not typically a foodie scent person which is why I've found it easy to steer clear of the Monster Bait scents. However, the Monster in the Closet has always intrigued me. Blackberries??? Bourbon??? RED FREAKIN' VELVET CAKE!!! Cut me a big ol' slice of that stuff because I'm loving the potential there!

So I caved in...I bought a bottle of a foodie scent.

:D I love it.

Others have made the comparison, so I'll chime in and say that this could be The Dark Side of the Beaver Moon :D Except for I'm not a big fan of Beaver Moon.

In the bottle - cake, with berry filling between the layers. I don't like it much from the bottle.

Nor do I care for about the first minute or two when put on my skin...still too cakey.

But then - that drunken blackberry smell rises to the occasion and :P that's all she wrote. I must have re-applied this stuff 5 times over the course of the evening last night just to get a buzz off that intoxicating aroma. It's not at all overly boozy to me, but it's not fresh blackberries - they've definitely been fermenting a bit.

It dries down to a soft vanilla with light berries that I find to be very lovely. Not cake at all.

I defintely give the Closet Monster a 5/5 ...he can scare away the other monsters from under my bed and my panty drawer any time!

In the bottle: VERY sweet, decadent, and rich boozy cake

On me: This starts off very sweet, a chocolate/berry/booze/buttercream blend that is cakey and sweet in the extreme.

Partway through the drydown, about 1/2 hour, something bitter came up - cocoa? the berries? - fortunately, this dissipated and I was left with the sweet.

Incidentally, this lasted AND LASTED on me, which is a miracle, as I'm normally a scent-eater. Twelve hours, and only a good scrubbing in the shower took it all off.

I like this one a lot, even though I prefer floral to foody. This is like Midway, a sweet dessert-y type of foody scent. I plan to use it as a room scent because one little drop in an oil burner and your whole house smells like cake! :P

Monster Bait: Closet-

In Bottle: Buttercream with strawberries!

Wet: The strawberries bloom hugely and that's delicious. --Now I can smell that it's more like blackberries.

Dry: Beautiful scent--stays strongly blackberries, doesn't get musty. Not as much staying power as some of its counterparts, but that might be the lotion I put on and the amount of handwashing I've been doing.

Overall: I really like!

In the bottle: Berries and buttery sweet cake.

On me: This is more cassis than blackberry for my money, but no complaints... I prefer it. The buttery scent fades for a bit and there's a bit of sharpness after it dries some, probably the berry scent, which has gone caustic on me before. It smooths out quickly. Thank heavens. As I was smelling it at this stage, my fellow came in, sniffed the air (six+ feet away) and said, 'Smells like cake.' (This is perhaps the most positive review of a perfume he's ever given. Not one for perfume, my fellow.) I sniffed again... it does! The cake is back! Fades to a nice, light but rich, berry-cake. Bottle me! :P

My least favorite of all the Monster Baits. The bourbon turns the blackberry all sour on me and it ends up smell like dark berry cough syrup with a hint of butter cream. No cake, and barely enough of butter cream to make it tolerable. (Butter cream is one of my favorite notes!) A big ol' disappointment for me. I'm sure others would like it, but I am sensitive to berry to begin with. I was hoping for more butter cream with a hint of berry. This is the other way around on my skin.

Off to swaps with this one!

imp: buttery sweetness with a kind of butterscotch...and a little buttered popcorn to my nose.

wet: soft buttery sweetness.

dry: sweet pinkness. Hubby says it smells like pepto bismol, but I don't think so. To my nose it smells like fruit and cake and buttercream icing.

Verdict: I'll have to think about this one since hubby thinks it smells like pepto and I like it.

In the vial: Rich cake.

Wet: Cake still, with a little of the blackberry buttercream. No bourbon for me, though. And the cake is a very generic scent on me too.

Drydown: On me, this becomes sickeningly sweet. It's a lovely scent, but I think really foody scents just aren't me.

*jumps into her closet*

Wow............... this is truly a scent that would make anyone brave thier closet. It's such a delicious bourban and cake scent, oh, so delicious.

How in the hell she made a perfume smell like buttercream *and* red velvet cake, I don't know. But this is indeed a red velvet cake with buttercream icing. I do get a touch of the booze underneath and a hint of fruit which must be the blackberry.