Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jett perilous

Sleepy Moon

A nearly-narcotic blend of opiate-touched bark and blossom reflective of the bleakness and solitude of winter, the quietest point of the year : black opium poppy, bamboo pulp, ylang ylang, lavender, chamomile and white sandalwood.

In the bottle, I smell lavender, a scent I associate with calm.

On my skin, I smell warm, green herbs, and lavender, and indeed it is very calming. There is a sweetness too, but not overly so.

I like it =)

In bottle: Poppy is the only one of the individual notes I'm getting. It smells soft and soothing.

On me: Still poppy-centric, but I'm getting the lavender that this shares with TKO - fresh, twiggy lavender. This is nice, and I do plan to try to use it as a sleep aid.

Beautiful. Can smell the bamboo, poppy and the sandalwood, also can smell lavender. It's very soothing, and it does help me to sleep. But it gets soapy on my skin, however I still like it.

This is one of those "Oh YES!!!!" BPALs for me. And I'm so excited about it because I had really no expectations at all.

I thought I would like TKO, but something in it was off for me. This, on the other hand, is the one I was looking for- the bamboo and lavender is very soft as opposed to astringent or cloying, and the opium smoke is indeed narcotic. Sleepy Moon and White Light are the two that for me, I feel an immediate change right upon sniffing. Wonderful and cozy at night, and I'm in the process of trying to snatch up all I can!

SleepyMoonSS.jpg

Yes. This is the sleep-inducing scent I've wanted since reaching the age of reason. I've looked for it in every essential oil, every eye mask, every sleep pillow... but until now, nothing was quite right. Many things were 'just ok,' and some worked pretty well, but until Sleepy Moon nothing was (as Goldilocks might say) just right.

In the imp: fresh, green herbal with a lovely overlay of lavender, but not overpoweringly so.

Wet on skin: the lavender comes up a bit stronger now, but still well-balanced by the other notes; I'm not very good at identifying separate notes except my own personal favorites, but there is a definite floral note as well as the herbal ones.

Dry: This is just so wonderfully soothing. The lavender never does take over as it sometimes does, but stays nicely in balance with the others. It was still faintly present on my wrist when I woke up this morning, and my husband said smelling my hair last night was better than any sleeping pill. I so love this oil! I have two bottles, and now I realize I never want to run out. I hope I can either find more, or that Beth reissues this one.

Verdict: Total love. :P

Edited by stellans

I love this one! A powdery lavender, that soothes and comforts. I could see curling up in this scent for a long sweet nap. The soporific poppy is gentle, as are the other notes that I honestly did not think could possibly smell good together. As it dries down the more gentle it becomes. I am so glad I was able to get this one! :P

In the imp: Sharp, clear floral -- the chamomile makes it sweet.

Wet: Almost a single-note ylang ylang, until smoky poppy takes over.

Drydown: The ylang ylang continues to dominate for at least the first half hour, with the poppy playing a strong second fiddle. I get the lavender and chamomile as secondary notes, sort of lazily drifting around the background, and then the last stage is like a herbal sandalwood incense.

This is faboo. I wasn't sure about the lavender/chamomile -- that sounded more like a Panacea than a Lunacy from the listed notes, but the ylang ylang really pulls the herbals into the blend, and how can you not love the poppy? It's a drowsy spring/summer; it's too lazy to be as decadent as Debauchery. I find it rather seductive.

This is the only 5ml bottle I've ever used up, so there's definitely something about this oil! The scent is a sweet but at the same time fresh floral-herbal. That's not an easy description to pin down, and indeed, this scent is not easy to pin down. It's well-blended, and hard to tell what the individual notes are. It's light, in no way overpowering, kind of like a breath of fresh air. I wore this to bed every night until I used up my bottle- very nice indeed.

Absolutely Gorgeous.

I don't think it's possible for me to rave about this properly.

A perfect soft jasmine with poppy, ylang-ylang, and herbal notes that remind me of lavernder.

Incredible. I can't live without this, and I dont' intend to. My first more-than-one-bottle venture.

Did I mention that this is incredible? Oh yeah I guess I did. Well, I ran out of adjectives because I'm settling in to a dream-drenched restful slumber. Goodnight!!! :P

Edit: This has quickly become my all-time favorite BPAL. I am Totally obsessed!!!

Edited by AEris

This blend is soporific in a way different from the Somnius blends and also from the traditional 'haloo lavender' blends existing out there. Sleepy Moon 06 is very soft and gentle, and extremely characteristic. While I first got this a long time ago, and have now recently repulled it to see how well it works now that I'm low on Somnus, I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

The initial scent to me while wet is sweetly twangy, and on my skin a green powdery bamboo of sorts. If there is lavender, it is the top breath of lavender without the dry, balsamic snap of the drydown of fierce oil. No, there's just that twist of green, squishy soft florals balancing on top of a calming, soothing herbal base. The florals, if present, are all drowse-inducing ones, maybe just enough ylang and poppy to pull one's eyes shut.

Sweet. Back in the day I got two bottles, and as I'm gradually eatin' up one, the other will be very, very appreciated.

I have to admit being mildly intrigued about this blend for a while. I wanted to try a sleepy blend that wasn't entirely lavender dominated. I definitely get more of the poppy. It is soft and gentle, and I would say more wearable because it doesn't put me to sleep. I would say it's relaxing, but in a different way from TKO. TKO puts me to sleep --- this is more like something that settles you down so you can go to sleep.

so even though it's late may, i'm wearing sleepy moon for the first time today.

it's an unusually cold and rainy day and i think i slept a total of 1.5 hours last night so i thought it was the perfect choice for today.

in the bottle this is a strong, fresh, green floral.

it's the same wet on my skin.

i get strong notes of bamboo, ylang lang, and a wee bit of lavendar.i

now that it's dried down and been on my skin about 3 hours it's awesome.

there is a soft, fresh, sort of sweet scent to it but i catch these strong green pangs of bamboo every time i move an arm or turn my head.

mmmm.

i'm all soft, sweet, floral and greenery fresh.

everyone i have encountered today has told me how good i smell and has asked what i'm wearing.

i'm loving this scent big time and am so glad i scored this bottle on a whim.

it's intriguing to me because it smells entirely different when i put nose to writst to sniff than when i'm just going about my business and catch a random whiff of my gorgeous scent.

i'm gonna be moving around a lot today in order to catch this smell on the breeze!

This is one my all-time favorite oils, so it’s about time that I review it.

Before even applying, the first impression is green. Once applied, this is all opium poppy and bamboo. Mmmmm. There’s the spiciness of lavender and the sweetness of ylang. The sandalwood blends so well with the opium and adds such a sensual, narcotic aspect to this scent. As it wears, the lavender becomes stronger and comes to the front. I love lavender and Beth does great lavender blends. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s pepper in here too, although that is not listed as a note and doesn’t really fit with the theme of the oil, but it has a spiciness that is a bit stronger than what I can attribute to lavender alone. Maybe it’s a titch of carnation. Whatever it is, it’s so beautiful. I’m thankful that this oil is aging well too, for I absolutely love it and I would be gutted if it were to turn on me.

So gorgeous.

Bottle: Lavender.

Wet: It goes kind of funky and I have a brief panicked moment. After application to skin, it smells... well, not nice. Borderline mid-summer-dumpster, actually.

Dry: Whatever that dumpster scent is, it burns off quickly leaving a beautiful creamy floral spiked by lavender in it's place. The creaminess is definitely coming from the opium--it's starting to smell a bit like what would happen if Darkness and Beatrice had a baby. It's gorgeous. Very unusual, very feminine, and while it may be considered a sleep aide, it is so gorgeous that I think it definitely needs to be smelled by people I don't live with.

Throw: I put one tiny dab on my wrist, touched my wrists together for a second, and it is enveloping me.

Overall: Sleepy Moon was before my time and I've been hunting it madly ever since I discovered BPAL. Thank God it lived up to expectations.

Let me preface this review by stating that right now, ylang ylang and I are in the most gigantic of fights. We are not speaking, much less even looking at eachother and thus, I almost didn't try this. Let me tell you I am so glad I decided to be the bigger person and give Sleepy Moon a go. Narcotic is an excellent word to describe this. The blend was very hazy and soporific. Wet the poppy and chamomile are most predominant. As it dries, the lavender and ylang ylang come out - but both are very very soft. The darkness of the poppy combined with the sandalwood provides a wonderful depth. Something about this blend reminds me of Frau Holle, but I can't put my finger on it.

In the bottle - Oh my, the ylang ylang is so strong! I can pick up some poppy and lavander but it's almost all that heady ylang ylang.

Wet - So... strong....

Drying - Okay, I'm getting a little chamomile, but my GODS the floral is so strong. It's a little soapy, too, but the floral is overpowering in it's strength on me. :ack:

Dry (3 hours) - This is pure ylang ylang on me. 100% pure. I know that night-blooming flowers hate me, but dear gods.

Overall - No way. Ugh.

I really love this blend. If I could get any more of it, it might rival TKO as my top sleepytime blend, and that is quite a feat, because I LOVE TKO!! I get mostly fresh lavender, straight outta the garden. It's lovely and herbal and strong. I get the chamomile, and thankfully, the opium stays in the background where it belongs (it usually dominates on my skin chemistry.) I don't get any bamboo pulp, but this blend seems perfect to my nose, so I'm not complaining! Lovely - a soft and soothing bedtime blend, and a definite keeper!

I love this stuff! It's dreamy!!!

The lavender & chamomile are prominent but I've never smelled lavender blended like this, it's stunning. This is easily one of my favourite lunacies.

Yes...there is a soapy kind of element but it's different it's hard to explain. This oil has a kind of oriental feel to it, which I'm supposing is the bamboo. (I really need to smell bamboo on it's own because I'm not sure what it smells like).

Where can I get more of this?? this imp is not going to be enough. The girl who sits next to me at my desk is falling asleep as it's wafting haha.

The throw is good...it lasts a long time and is just made of win.

Whatever the magic note is in the wet stage of this blend dies down after about 15 mins. (I want more of this note...it makes my nose dance hehe). And all the notes fuse together in a soft sort of fizz. It's a bright, fun scent now. Kind of like Budding Moon. It's like it's turning pink! It's just getting better and better!

*goes on the hunt for bottle*

Decant: I get lavender and chamomile and poppy

Wet on Me: oooooo pretty! Flowers with out being too cloyingly floral. The lavender is kept in check by the poppy, and chamomile and the ylang ylang

Drying Down: aaaahh now the sandalwood comes out to play with the pretty. This starts to round things off nicely and keep it from becoming too flower-y.

Dry: Gentle flowers that waft over you as you fall to slumber. Very nice.

True to its name, Sleepy Moon is a claaming scent that's comforting to me because it reminds me of a certain soap we used to have in the bath when I was really young. This is by no means a soap insult! Whatever soap that was, and I can't remember fo rmy life, it was lovely and smelling this tkes me back to a smipler time when all I had to worry about was twhether I had enough bubbles to build a bubble castle in the tub. It's also special because it reminds me of my dad, who passed away 20 years ago but was still alive when that soap was still in the bathroom. A lovely scent :wub2:

There is something in this that I just don't like. I don't know if it's the chamomile or the ylang ylang but whatever it is it is crushing the life out of the beautiful opium and lavendar notes. There is a sharp white obnoxious floral present that just takes over from wet to drydown. Only tempering some of this stuff with TKO seems to make it smell better. *sigh* I was hoping to use this as a go to sleep blend. :( But alas...no.

This one is taking some getting used to. Lavender in the imp, but it went all pasty on me (the chamomile? the bamboo?) for the first hour and I really had to resist the urge to go wash it off. The poppy and ylang ylang finally showed up and started to make things better, and I'm still hoping the white sandalwood will make an appearance.

I'm still waffling on this one. Once all of the elements start working together, it's quite a lovely scent. It's just getting through that initial blast of nasty that's the trick.

And, by the way, this is not the scent to wear to work when you are already sleepy...

Origin: Bottle from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: In catching up with my stash, I realized I didn't properly review this when I first bought it. If I remember correctly, there had been a series of Lunacies with deal-breaker notes and when Sleepy Moon arrived I bought it reflexively because it had no warning flags.

In the Bottle: Very herby with a hint of sweet undertone. Definitely a lavender scent.

Wet: Green and herby and soapy-clean. The lavender and ylang ylang and chamomile are front and center.

Drydown: The sandalwood emerges to take the worst edge off the herbal notes. It's smoother and not quite so soapy, but still a predominantly herbal scent.

Verdict: I have several lavender blends, including TKO and some sweet versions. This is a good nighttime scent for wanting a cool, relaxing lavender rather than a comfort-me lavender.

I received this as a frimp from the lovely and generous stellans. In the imp, it smells very green and herbal - lots of lavender, chamomile, and what I imagine is the bamboo pulp. On, I really only get the ylang-ylang and sandalwood, which is not a surprise as my skin loves sandalwood. Fortunately, I love it too! The ylang-ylang gives it a bright sweetness that's really interesting. It's a little sweeter and lighter than what I might normally like to wear out (I tend to gravitate toward spicy/earthy smells), but I can see this being great for a stressful day. It did feel very calming!

Sleepy moon. You are my lavender chamomile love.

Opium is usually too sweet but the herbal qualities of the lavender tone it down. I definitely catch a whiff of the bamboo-- very green and stemmy, not herbal, but similar to the freshly cut stems on flowers, a little eucalyptus like. Also the sandalwood is there in the background, a hazy light lemony incense note.

Sleepy moon is relaxing and is making me, we'll, sleepy *yawn* I put a little spot under my nose and its like insta-sleeping aid. U_U g'night!

I wish I had more than half a bottle. I have to track down more of this miracle.