Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Thaleia

Budding Moon

Budding Moon shines as Spring moves with its first breath, and this scent expresses that burst of life-affirming joy through an olfactory interpretation of Huang Quan’s flower-and-bird paintings. Plum blossom, peony, lotus root, Chinese musk and a hint of white ginger.

Bottle: delicate notes of plum blossom and peony, with an undercurrent of musk. Nicer than I remembered.

Wet: Becomes a bit richer, maybe more of the musk and ginger, but still very floral without being too sweet. A good reminder of spring.

Drydown: One of the reasons I'm doing this enormous review project is to find things I want to sell. The other is to remember the ones I haven't used in ages that I really, really like. Man, Budding Moon is pretty. I like the Asian florals so much more than the others, and they don't smell too girly or too light on me. This one is soft, yet rich. The musk grounds the florals and the ginger, which finally made an appearance, keeps things a little interesting.

This one was a light, fruity floral. It was soft and pretty. Very girlish. I can see this being appropriate for a young teenage girl.

In the bottle: Green and sweet-fruity.

Wet: VERY sweet and fruity, with lunar oils underneath. Mmm I love lunar oils. Strawberry, definitely berry. I think that's the lotus root. I should avoid lotus root, because it's way too sweet for me.

Dry: The floral is coming out a bit, definitely peony. If I really stretch my senses, there's a spike of ginger underneath. The musk is very very light; I wish it were stronger.

Summary: Fruity-floral. The overwhelming sweetness does fade, and the floral amps, but it's still too sweet and fruity for me.

Imp: It almost smells like a cooking vegetable. Appropriate to the name--it smells like a closed green bug. The potential of a flower, but no blooms yet.

Wet: The plum blossom comes out in full force and sweetens this up considerably. The scent blooms (natch) on the skin. The lotus root lends a soft bubblegum element and the whole thing is a very soft and sweet floral just touched with a hint of spice.

Dry: Similar to the wet phase. A sweet, sticky sort of scent, very floral and pretty. It smells almost candylike or foody.

Throw: Average.

Overall: I really like this one. It was a frimp and I think it might be a bit of a dangerous acquisition; I will definitely be picking this up if I come across it.

This is an absolutely lovely asian floral, which is one of my favorite types of florals. It reminds me of a much greener version of Hanami. Very fresh-I love the plum blossom and peony. The only note that throws me a little is the lotus root, but it's not overwhelming. Not quite as nice as Hanami, but still beautiful and fresh and just a little fruity-Budding Moon is a wonderful and fitting name for this blend. So glad I picked a up a bottle of this!

Edited by Suu4LC

I adore plum blossom, and it loves me right back. Smells fabulous on me. Budding Moon smells a lot like Kitsune-Tsuki on me -- another one I like a lot. Similar to Fire Pig, too. (I guess plum blossom and peony is a winning combination for me.) I probably love the bright fruity-florals better than any other kind of floral, so for me this one is great. It's very bright right at the beginning, but after an hour or so it settles down into a lovely soft musky floral.

btw... if you love the plum blossom in this and would like to try something even sweeter and more plummy, try Midwinter's Eve. :P

In bottle: sweet, pretty, with a softer plum scent than the lab's regular plum, over a whisper of pale musk and ginger. Reminiscent of Kitsune Tsuki but without the jasmine.

Wet on skin: there's something almost thick and foody in here, but it's faint. I think it's the ginger and Chinese musk combined with the plum. Softly sweet and spicy, but rather faint. *applies more* It's got an oriental quality (unsurprisingly, given the description).

Dry on skin: ah - now it's amping up a bit, and it's very pretty! The musk and ginger add body to the plum blossom and peony, but it remains subtle and perfumey. Chinese musk appears to be pale, but not cold like white musk - this definitely has a gentle warmth to it. WIN!

If you like Kitsune Tsuki, you should try this.

This is absolutely lovely and light. After first its just green...in fact it reminds me a little of green plum tea. Then the ginger pops out and starts to make me think that this will be ruined :D and then the ginger fades and I am left with this nice light chinese musk and plum blossom note...to light for me to track down a bottle as I would be slathering away....but I will definitely be keeping my imp. :P :D

The notes in this one sounded soooo good, so I had to track down a bottle! Anyways, the scent is florals... floral everywhere! Normally I would like a strong floral such as this, but it is, in fact a bit too strong for me. The plum blossom and lotus are amped so much on my skin, it is starting to give me a headache.

It is quite lovely, but just not in the same caliber as Phantom Queen for me. I think this one is going to have to find a new home.

This is a beautiful milky green tea scent on me with a side of light, sweet florals...and yet it's not too sweet on my skin. I'm absolutely in LOVE with Budding Moon!!

Bottle: Peony and Plum blossom

Wet on Me: sweet peony now…quiet and gentle

Drying Down: faint but sweet. Pretty Peony and plum blossom, hints of the lotus root. The musk is under all of this.

Dry: Dried down very nicely. The musk came out and made a soft carpet for the rest of the notes to dance on. Very very pleasant. Spring like.

Spicy musk, plum blossom and peony. It's light, fresh, yet spicy and deep. Mainly this is sweet florals, delicate musk and ginger. Absolutely beautiful, and very fitting for the weather we've been having.

Budding Moon was never on my 'seeking' list.

I am not a ginger fan, and wasn't big on Lotus Moon.

Hadn't an opinion either way on plum blossoms.

But here this bottle arrived shyly in the post, smiling to itself for it was about to turn my on my ear.

The blend is gentle to the nose and I don't get even a hint of yucky ginger.

Its very sweet and is a 'fruity-floral' as previously described. The sweet smell does have a strawberry note to it.

Very pretty. And quite a pleasant surprise (since its usually the other way.

I guess she can stay :)

This started out as straight up plum blossom on me. It was sweet and candy-like in a really big way. As it dries, the plum fades a little and I'm getting a little more of the musk, but it's still pretty candy like and sweet. A little too young feeling for me.

A delicate, sweet floral with just the tiniest bit of ginger. The florals develop a bit more on drydown, but it is so very, very light that I'm wondering if this is going to last more than a few hours. Wish it had more of a throw, because it's very pretty.

In the bottle, I'm getting plum blossom and lotus root, not so much the peony. On my skin, plum blossom and peony and just delicate blossomy florals. We'll see what this does.

I expected this to smell more florally than this, but it mainly smells fruity - like musky plum. Perhaps it can find a home with someone else.

I've had this one in my stash for years - purchased on a whim from the forum - and I'm just now trying it.

In the bottle - I get very little scent at all. Something green and medicinal. Nothing fruity at all.

Freshly applied - very little throw, still greenish. I have to get really close to smell anything. As it warms up I do get some florals, but I have to put my nose all up in it.

This is reaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllly faint on me. I'll keep it for now...maybe it just needs generous application and a longer wear time.