Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Thaleia

Budding Moon

Budding Moon shines as Spring moves with its first breath, and this scent expresses that burst of life-affirming joy through an olfactory interpretation of Huang Quan’s flower-and-bird paintings. Plum blossom, peony, lotus root, Chinese musk and a hint of white ginger.

Overwhelming blooming flowers. Very peony heavy, and warm and tart.

This is definilty a spring scent :P

Normally I'm not big on florals, but Budding Moon is quite nice. I really love all of these asian themed lunacy blends.

First whiff out of the bottle I get a fresh, soapy ginger.

On my skin wet this turns into something a bit more floral, but still holds that fresh, clean, soapy ginger smell. It's not an obnoxious fresh and clean smell, it's light, refreshing and pretty (very girly without being too floraly).

As this dries down I'm getting a lot of the plum blossom and peony with just a splash of ginger and a soft musk lingering in the background.

Budding Moon suprised me! I purchased this becasue of the musk and ginger notes and am pleasantly suprised that it's a soft floral blend that i can actually pull off :D

I put on some Budding Moon when another blend this morning ::cough:: Euterpe /::cough:: ended up not working out AT ALL.

IT'S GORGEOUS. Budding Moon is luscious and the scent shifts beautifully into drydown. It loses nothing in going from wet to dry like some florals do (going all powdery or plastic or soapy).

I'm really beginning to think that plum, in any guise, is one of my favorite notes. It's also very kind to my oil-hogging skin. And peony is becoming a fast favorite as well.

But there's just something about this blend that hangs together PERFECTLY. It has terrific throw, and it smells exotic and bright. I'm going to have to get much, much more of this when my 5ml is gone.

Mmm...I love this. (Thanks urraca!)

It must be the Chinese musk that puts me in mind of Queen Mab, another sweet, creamy floral that I adore. At first I smell mostly that and the plum blossom, but as Budding Moon dries a bit, the peony emerges, airy and light, a perfect complement to the lush, almost foody sweetness that the other notes provide.

I can't identify white ginger or lotus root, but I am having a lovely time seeking them. :P

My only gripe is that this - like many of the more ethereal blends I like so much - disappears fairly quickly on me. So I tend to use it as a bath oil, which is heaven.

Edited by maribouquet

in vial: candy sweet peony and plum blossom

wet: even sweeter candy

drydown: this stays far too cloyingly sweet for me. I'm amping one of the sweet notes in this to a disgustingly sugary degree and it's just too much. It's disappointing because the individual notes are so lovely.

Very sweet peony and plum blossom with the musk coming out more as it dries. Not getting much of the ginger, though the sweetness of the flowers starts to mellow a bit.

It's actually very nice, but I won't be keeping the bottle since for some reason it reminds me of my mother's bathroom.

BuddingMoonSS.jpg

I'm with Phedre; this is a very nice floral...just not on me. It is too sweet, and I can't believe I've found something that's not a food scent that is 'too sweet' for me.

In the imp: very light floral, I smell nothing but flowers -- light and airy, and with a spring-like freshness. Would make a nice air freshener, especially for a spring-cleaning session.

Wet on skin: ack. Sweetness, almost enough to make my teeth ache.

Dry: Still sweet, though a bit more mellow. I don't smell any musk at all, just a really cloying sweetness, like something sold to little girls as 'perfume.' I wonder which note has reacted this way to my body chemistry? The peony? The plum blossom? The white ginger? I must experiment to find out, because I really do not want any big bottles of anything that makes my arm smell like this. Ick.

Verdict: I am collecting Lunacy scents, and scored this bottle from eBay. Alas, it must go back on eBay, because it makes me smell like a junior high girls PE locker room.

Is it a keeper? I'm going to try it one more night later on just in case it's me doing the harm, but if it doesn't improve, it's definitly going on the auction block. Argh.

REVISITED 3/7/07: Last night I gave this Lunacy Oil another chance, and while it is still sweet, I actually liked it this time. It's sweeter than I would wear for a daily scent, but it worked well for a spring-type night and gave me interesting dreams. It's a keeper.:D

I'm thinking it's the peony that gives this oil its sweetness, and now I like it. I'm glad I gave it a 2nd chance. It was obviously my body chemistry doing something wonky the first time. :P

Edited by stellans

From the description, I knew I had to have a bottle of this. I was not around when this was created. So the hunt was on.... I searched high on low and stalked the swap area and Ebay and anywhere else I could think of and finally :D !!! I found a bottle!!!!!!

Budding Moon was everything I thought it would be on me. The Chinese musk and slight ginger blend well together to mix fragrantly together. The sweet bouquet of the peony and plum blossoms and my body chemistry combined, make this a memorable scent experience. I smell mmm mmm good :D This intoxicating oil jumps into my top ten of Rubee's Best. :P

This is a soft and slightly green floral with a hint of grainy sweetness and a draft of light musk, very refreshing and light and wet-smelling in the bottle.

On, a sharp floral note comes out. I'm not familiar with the distinctions between peony and plum blossom, but I think that's peony. The musk is a billowing softness that carries the whole up, and the ginger gives it just a touch of frisk. It's a very bright, soft, morning scent, quite fresh and refreshing, like a clear dawn after a night of light showers. It does, indeed, evoke the image of a well-tended Oriental garden full of birds.

This is poised, genteel, and utterly civilized, the florals reined in by the crisp and clean smell of green growing things.

As it fades, it stays soft and close-in, but it gets rather perfume-y; surprising, given its fresh opening. I like it very much, even though it's not very "me." The florals are going powdery, but the green note, whatever it is, combined with the musk, is keeping it fresh and not skanky. This is deceptively layered, and though it appears quite simple at first, it's actually a very complex scent. Sometimes I think Beth does her best work with scents like this, the greenish, moist, Oriental scents, even though they are not my favorites. Perhaps because I'm not overwhelmed with lust when I smell them, I'm more able to appreciate them as wearable art, and not necessarily as a statement of who I am.

This perfume is what it is, and it is a work of art. Though this doesn't grab me by the nose, it's not a smell that I can imagine anyone objecting to, ever, and would be a good low-key choice for an everyday office scent. Inviting, feminine, perfume-y but still a little cool.

In bottle: Very flowery, lots of ginger.

Wet: still flowery, I get mostly the peony and ginger, very strong

Dry: softens a little, I still get alot of the ginger, and maybe a little of the plum blossom

All in all not sure if I will keep this. I'm not much for flower heavy scents.

Budding Moon starts out a soft floral plum with a hint of ginger. The peony comes up next, its a gentle floral that blends well with the plum blossom. As it dries, it becomes a lovely floral musk. Its a light scent but one that actualy stays on my skin for hours. Budding Moon is one of my birth month lunars and also my favourite lunar blend. It was worth the months of tracking it down. :P

Sweeter than the other Lunacies I’ve tried, and yes, it’s a very springlike scent. Light but not so light it gets lost – the musk must be grounding it. I'll definitely enjoy the imp and wouldn't object to more if it wanders my way, but it's not such a different scent to make me go hunting hard.

One of the best moons ever...another go-to bottle for me when I reach for something pretty, fresh, and innocent. This has so much charm, and really does have a brightness to it.

This is juicy and sweet, touched with florals. I am in love with the peony, which always wears so nicely on my skin. It's such a dainty flower and it isn't being overhsadowed in the slightest by the other notes. The ginger is complementing it perfectly for a little extra spice. I wouldn't categorize this as a spicy blend though since it isn't the dominant theme, or even extremely noticable. More like a wet type of spicy, not the peppery kind. The musk is faint and light and sparkling...a gorgeous touch!

Stays sweet and light throughout the time I have worn this. No powdery drydown and no shifting scents here. Very freshly sweet. I think this was made for a beautiful day, or at least when I want to make my own. :P

I keep calling this Pudding Moon. Oops. :P

It doesn’t smell of pudding though. There's a definite 'budding' smell about it - it works well on me and lasts longer than most of the other oils that I like. It "smells" peony-pink - a deep slightly dusky pink. So glad I got a 5ml of this.

ETA: I've found that this is the perfect scent for me to wear to my yoga class. It makes me feel relaxed but not sleepy and it really is a very lovely, comforting scent.

Edited by laliloo

Budding Moon has always been in my "favorites" group. It's a bonus that it is for my birthday month (February), but really what I love about it is that it smells so inexplicably like springtime. There's that sense of bright, flourescent green shoots that are peeking out of the ground, buds that are just waiting to burst open. It's invigorating yet gentle. It brings a sense of hope and freshness.

Budding Moon is something that intrigues me. I tell myself I don't like it but there's something about it I can't let go.

I really don't like florals yet I really do like Budding Moon. It makes me happy. It's refreshing really, the florals aren't that strong and I feel it's almost aquatic.

So let's just say I like it lots... and I'm never gonna let it go! :P

In bottle: Sweet and flowery, like sugared peony.

Wet: Crisp, but still floral. The ginger and musk are whisper-soft, and not overpowering.

Dry: The florals fade a little, but it still smells very clean and fresh, like a journey through a lush, Asian garden in the spring at night.

Overall: I was a little worried when I saw "lotus" in there, lotus has a tendency to go bubble-gum on me--but thankfully it's lotus ROOT, so if you have similar issues with lotus, don't worry about it. This was a very lush, yet refreshing scent. I might have to get more of it!

Edited by Usamimi

Bottle: Faint, watery floral with a sugar crust.

Wet: Sugared flowers. So much love!

Drydown: Sugared peony, with a glaze of something else...ginger? Lotus? The Chinese musk? I haven't a clue, but it's very pretty.

Dry: Sweetened peony with that little something extra.

My rating: 4/5. Oh my, this is lovely. *cuddles bottle* Very girly, very flirty, very youthful. Keeper!

In the imp: Ooh this is a gorgeous marriage of plum and peony. I love it! I hope this one works on me!

On the wrist: Pretty true to the imp scent, the ginger comes out a bit. It's very nice.

Drydown: This got very sharp and pointy on me. The musk did that evil thing that musk does on me and ruined everything. :D

Overall: Musk is evil and I am forced to swap this. Damn you musk! :P

Gleeful! Wonderfully floral, I imagine I get the plum blossom from this straightaway and a touch of something fruity – maybe even plum? Not sure as nothing fruity is officially listed. It’s a very clean floral and on drydown I think I can detect the peony (I think that must be the clean smell) and the musk which is very soft. The lotus grounds it – again reminding me of some lotus bath salts I have (I wish Lotus Moon smelt of those!). Have a bottle of this and very glad, will enjoy wearing again.

Budding Moon

Beautiful! I'm first struck with peony, then comes white musk, and lastly, plum. Lotus is there, too, but I don't smell the ginger. This is a round, feminine scent, that truly does feel like Spring. It's clean yet sweet, and dewy. I can imagine peonies with fat raindrops on their petals.

[3 - Like]

In Bottle: Oh wow. This isn't love at first smell, but it is LOVELY. I smell alot f different things, the peony I think, and maybe the lotus blossom? Yum.

Wet: Wow...this is such a beautiful scent. All the florals come together wonderfully.

Dry: Oh no!! I'm in love with a discon!!! *cries* yup..I love this floral beautiful scent. I hope I can find a bottle of it!

10 of 10

Budding Moon is a candied fruity scent that smells fresh, bright, heady, creamy, sweet....all at the same time. I can't pick out notes because most of the components in this perfume are unfamiliar to me.

I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it is very light-hearted and fun. A puzzler for my nose....

I was hoping that the Chinese musk and ginger would be dominant, or at least equal partners with the florals in this blend, but alas, Budding Moon is all sweet fruity-floral on me. It doesn't change at all, and it's rather candyish. It's nice, but it's not for me at all.

This is SWEET! Extremely sweet on me and my chemistry is eating it up so fast. It has a medium amount of throw but doesn't last too long unfortunately.

Anyways, I think I can mainly smell the Peony in this. And to me it smells like a sweet fizzy floral, the fizziness that I can smell in croquet and Xanthe. I'd love to be able to say I can smell chinese musk because it sounds interesting but sadly. Hmph!!! I can detect no ginger at all. It's just an extremely bright and sweet floral!!

I think this would be nice as a summer/spring scent. Maybe for a younger person.

I'm not screaming from the rooftops about this one unfortunately. But it is pleasant enough to have in imp form!!