Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tribute to the opium den cum bawdyhouses of Shanghai in the 1930’s. Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice.

Wow, I could of swore I already reviewed this but I guess I didn't. Weird. O.o

It reminds me of Perversion (which is sex in a bottle), but it's much much sweeter and Perversion has a very dry feel and this is warmer (from the amber), more happy and not so naughty. It has the same butter rum quality that Elegba does but not as boozy, it's innocent caramel. It takes on something of it's own though, a sort of brown sugar and spice. Bpal's coconut never shows up on me for some reason.

I absolutely love it. It's my favorite LE, hands down. Edited by Shollin

Wet on skin: At first Red Lantern is a bit aggressive: sweet syrup. wood. various sweet spices. some peppery flowers. Bookishguy walking in the room: "what smells like Luden's cherry cough drops?" :P

Initial Dry: Ah, now I can smell the most complex, sugary spicy smell wafting up from my wrists as I type. I can't really pick out any notes, it all blends so well now that it's dry. Maybe sugary caramel first, the rest rounding it out into yummyness. Wow.

Later: Oh, dream... this has all of the edible sweetness I liked in Hellcat, and hoped for in Gluttony (which was a disaster on me) but much better. I prefer caramel to almond or buttercream it seems... and the absence of boozy notes are not missed at all.

Even Later: After about 4 hours later most of the complexity is gone, but I can still catch faint whiffs of what I've seen described as a 'skin scent' by some: it smells like me, only way better. Sugared me. When bookishguy comes in close to hug he huffs and says, "MMM. you smell good" :D

Final Verdict: More please! 12 hours later and I'm pressing my nose to my wrist for the the last sweet trace of it.

I had such wonderfully high hopes for this blend, because all of the notes, save opium, tend to be wonderful on me...alas, it must be the opium curse, because while Red Lantern smells nice, something is just off. I get the caramel tobacco goodness, but there is a sharp, bitter undertone that makes this a less than wonderful blend on me. So sad.

Oh, Red Lantern, how I wanted to love you! The sweet caramel scent curled its tendrils around me, drawing me near, and then the tobacco swooped in, bashed me over the head, and stole my wallet.

This smells exactly like gift shops in China Town.It's alittle bit too heady for me but it's right on with being called "Red Lantern"!

ADDED Nov. 26:

In the bottle:Smells like walking through a Chinese Market.

Wet:Identical to the smell in the bottle but drier,almost dusty smelling.

Dry:My skin seems to be picking up nothing but dusty florals.No yummy caramel or tobbaco notes :P

Smells too much like commerical perfume for my taste.Into the swaps with yee!

First whiff: in the bottle, Red Lantern is all delicious, buttery caramel... but on my skin, that caramelly sweetness vanishes in a puff of logic, and the scent morphs 180° into a strong, nearly pure, almost... savory tobacco note.

Drydown: why, oh why couldn't it stay the way it was in the bottle?

This is definitely in the same family as Elegba and Perversion, but the tobacco note is waaaay stronger, the coconut is much, much more subdued, and while the first two weren't very sweet on me to start with, Red Lantern is even less sweet - actually, scratch that, it's not sweet whatsoever. The tobacco has taken a still strong, but also almost pungent turn.

The caramel is nowhere to be smelled anymore, the amber is fleeting at best, the coconut is almost unnoticeable... and the spices are non-existent. I don't know what's going on, it seems that my skin is aaaawfully fond of that tobacco note in this blend (I did have this tobacco amping in the other two scents, but certainly not to that point) - might this be due to the absence of a rum/chardonnay note to counterbalance it? I don't know, but Red Lantern is nowhere near the delight of Perversion/Elegba.

Verdict: I would like to say that if you love Perversion and Elegba, you'll love Red Lantern, since they have so much in common, but... alas, while both the former are in my top 10, the latter is a disappointment for me.

7/10

This is an interesting and complex scent, which is hard to pin down into any one genre. It's got a strong incensey feel, coupled with fruity, floral and foody elements, and overall does a pretty good job of conjuring up the ambiance it intends to, at least as far as my imagination goes (never having been in a Shanghai opium den). There's definitely a lush, decadent feel to it, along with a slightly "off" note that seems to suggest an underlying corruption, which I suppose is appropriate, though it does make the scent less pleasant.

I think I mostly like this scent, though that "off" note is a bit grating and keeps me from liking it as much as I otherwise might. Tobacco and coconut are both very iffy notes on me, so it might be one of those, or the combination of the two. So it's definitely a case of like but not love for me.

Kettu, however, loves it dearly, so a 5mL had to be acquired. But that one can stay in her collection.

Grade: B

In the vial:

A rich rum type scent

On me:

This scent is a deep brown liquid with tints of gold. It's rich, warm, and sensual as well as a little drowsy. It's perfect for Red Lantern. This scent is very womanly and sexy - I find this to be very distinctly reminiscent of a vintage perfume - it has that sort of vibe to it. It has a very faint sweetness to it, that seems sort of nutty in nature, and the amber and opium are most prominent here. I am sad to say that I don't get any coconut from this, but it's a gorgeous and mature scent all the same.

Final note:

Sexy, sensual, and like liquid amber - lovely!

I really wanted to like this, but it was all caramel on me - that turned to baby powder. That damn baby powder curse!

bottle:

sweet, vanilla & candy…

wet:

smells familiar… like a yankee candle shop or baked goods & crafts shop in autumn... ah looking at the listing, it's the caramel. That's all I can discern, although there is a depth/spice to it, and I think I can sense the amber.

dry:

smells like a craft barn at an autumn fair, caramel apples, potpourri, and scented candles. Doesn't seem nearly as exotic as the description. Good for a room scent, but seems sooo… artificial to me. Like a yankee candle. (which are great, but not the same class as BPAL!) gets better with time, but i'm not sold.

overall:

eh. Would be ok for a room scent but it's just not my thing.

rating: 5/10

I can't make up my mind about this one. I think I really like it, and it tends to smell on my skin how Elegba smelled in the bottle, with a dash of flowers thrown in (must be the delphinium). This is definitely a morpher, and the end result varies wildly depending on my skin chemistry (which I am the first to admit is unusual). Some days I love it--it's rich, sweet tobacco coconutty goodness that wraps me in its heavenly cocoon. Other days, the flowers amp to hell and it can smell a wee bit powdery for my tastes. My boyfriend also fluctuates between telling me it smells like Vicks cough syrup and "cookie" (which is his word for Misk. U, his all time favorite).

:P

I like it a lot, and i t is definitely a keeper, but I need to wear it over several months to see how I truly wear it.

In the imp:

Somehow, I'm getting cocoa from this. It doesn't smell precisely like chocolate, but it feels like cocoa if that makes any sense. I suspect that what I'm smelling is the Sudanese black coconut since I'm familiar with the lab's caramel, and it doesn't usually cause me to salivate and fire off tons of serotonin the way this smell does. It's making me want to slather, but I only have an imp of this, so I will not give in to that instinct.

Wet:

When I apply this to my wrist, I am immediately hit by the tobacco. Combined with the still detectable Sudanese black coconut note, and sweetness of the caramel, this smells like a foody pipe tobacco blend. I would love it if the boy smoked something that smelled this mouth watering.

Early dry down:

Something floral starts to peek out of this blend within a few minutes of application, and it continues to amp itself for a while. I assume it's the delphinium since that's the only floral note listed, but it reminds me an herby floral...kind of how my geranium pots smell in the summer. The amber is finally kicking in and adding that peculiar body/powder sweetness that I love on my skin, and combined with the floral and the foody tobacco smells, it's just lovely. This is rich, rich, RICH, and has more throw than I'm used to in my bpal.

Late dry down:

After about two hours, the throw has tamed itself and the blend has settled into a well coordinated blend without any individual notes that jump out at me. The overall impression is dark, rich, and sweet. If I had to compare it anything, it would be dark chocolate dipped in German chocolate frosting. But it's not really that sticky sweet. It's more like how a German chocolate pipe tobacco might smell. This is sultry, yet somehow comforting at the same time.

Interestingly, I'd been smelling something floral all afternoon, but when I would sniff my wrist the floral odor was not present. I finally realized that some of the wet oil had gotten on my sleeve. Where the oil has not had a chance to react with my skin, the floral note is much more pronounced. I have to say, I like the way my skin makes the oil smell a lot better than I like how my sweater makes it smell!

Conclusion:

I know I'll use an imp of this, but I don't exactly regret having sold the rest of my bottle. While this is a lovely blend, and quite flattering on me, it's enough like certain other blends (and combinations of other blends) that it doesn't have a Holy Grail feel to it. I will say though that it makes me eager to try anything else the lab releases with Sudanese black coconut. I can't wear cocoa/chocolate blends (for some reason they all smell like burnt toast on me), but the black coconut has a cocoa feel, even if the scent is really quite different.

Just got this today:My first ever BPAL scent !

In bottle: I have to agree with the people that mentioned how overwhelmingly caramel it is upon first sniff.

It smelled the same wet on my wrists, but with the coconut coming on stronger and the beginning of an incense note coming up from behind.

I was a bit worried as it dried, as I have old lady syndrome with many perfumes and I begin to smell like my great aunt's closet.

More specifically, as Brianne mentioned, it takes on a vintage perfume smell -not dissimilar from Mitsouko ( probably the spices and woods) or Chanel #5.

I love these on fabric and on other people, but on my own skin - Just call me Auntie Frieda.

Luckily, about 20 minutes later, it took on an addictive warm skin quality.

Nummies!!!

I am soooo addicted.

Edited by Miss*J

Origin: Purchased a decant on LJ

Initial Thoughts: I was very curious about this one more than any other of the Valentine's scents; it sounded so sexy!

In the Bottle: Wow, that's sweet! It's positively dripping with sugar and coconut! :P This one fits the description very well.

Wet: On my skin it goes very musky-sweet with a strong smoky coconut.

Drydown: The amber eventually takes over, only leaving hints of the other notes in its wake. Poo.

Verdict: I'd keep it as a room scent and locket scent since my skin disagrees with it, but the husband hates coconut with a passion. Oh well, off to where it can be better appreciated.

Really, I wished I'd tried this sooner! The warm carmel is all spicy and exotic, and the amber deepens it. This is sex in a bottle!

The carmel always pops first for me, then gets spicy as it dries down. The coconut and currants are always back notes, and the tobacco makes it smoky.

I could live in Red Lantern, truly!

Mm, In the vial, this is just so delicious and gorgeous - caramel and deep and exotic and slightly coconuty!! But as soon as it hits my skin it changes - the deep richness of the sweet scent disappears and it has a more spicy, piercing scent coming through. Whatever it is, it overpowers the caramel when it touches my skin and makes it less sweet and maybe a touch smoky. After a few hours it's much more subtle and is still a touch smoky (the tobacco, I guess) and a touch sweet.

I was hoping that my skin would amp the sweetness, as it usually does with BPAL scents, but it didn't work out that way ... if only it smelled on my skin just like it did in the vial!! But I still like it, just not as much as in the vial. It works extremely well in my car diffuser! My car smells delicious!

Edited by kunoichi

Dense, sweet and spicy, this is like Elegba and Sugar Skull together when it is wet. Dry, it has a similar feel to Hunger...a dark, heady floral. Thick and dark and seductive.

Super-caramel coconut is the first impression, followed by the yummy pipe-tobacco smell and the funny powderiness that opium always gives me. I'm actually pretty sure it smells exactly like it's supposed to on me -- the amber isn't even acting up and getting that creepy amber funkiness that O and The Lion gave me.

You know, this is really *nice*. I usually don't think foody scents smell good at all, but this one does....Oh crap, here comes the amber. ::cringes::

After a few minutes it's calmed back down and smells altogether pleasant. But...it's just not me. I mean, it smells good on me, just like some kinds of clothes that I don't wear -- it's like a corset, something that would suit me pretty well except for the part where it doesn't fit my personal aesthetic. Oh well. Someone else will appreciate this more than I do.

In the imp (decant): Hello caramel!! Also some tobacco traces. Pretty much it.

Wet: More scents are coming out...and starting to blend rather quickly. I got a strong whiff of something floral? but now it's virtually disappeared. Still some caramel out in front...and something that smells like potpourri? (not sure how to spell that)

Dry: Mostly caramel and tobacco although when I put my nose close to my wrist there's something lighter (still smells like a white floral), and my mouth is now watering. Smells delicioius but it's just not me

In Bottle: Sweet. Very sweet. The caramel is very rich, almost buttery. I very faintly smell the coconut. The spice lingers in my nostrils. Reminds me a bit of how Underpants smells in the bottle.

On Application: Wow, the sweetness appears for a moment, but is replaced by something slightly smoky, that dances with the sweetness. It's not as sickly sweet as it was in the bottle, but is a darker type of sweet. There's a subtle floral coming through. Very subtle. After a couple minutes, toasted coconut very faintly comes through. My mouth is watering.

On Drydown: Rich caramel, only slightly sweet, with an almost vanilla edge to it, then the coconut reminds me it's there. I can smell the amber a lot more now that it's dry on my skin. It's slightly spicy, slightly sweet. It's a very comforting scent, actually.

Comments: It might be a bit sweet to wear on a daily basis, but it might be nice every once in a while. I might seek out another imp of this, but I don't think I'd need a bottle. Good thing, since it's an LE.

Final Verdict: Keep, but I don't need a bottle.

ETA: I lied, I need a bottle. After a couple hours, this is just divine. Mostly amber, with a little sweet. Yum.

Edited by tidesong

I also thought I had reviewed this previously, but I'm guessing it might have gone the way of the Dodo in the crash earlier this year. In any case...

In the bottle: Sweet, creamy caramel and warm toasted coconut. Reminds me distinctly of Elegba.

Wet: The light smokiness of tobacco starts to anchor this scent in place right away, keeping it from being too runaway-sweet.

Dry: During the initial drydown, this is nothing but smoky-sweet. After about an hour, it goes through a distinct cologne-like stage, where it smells a bit more commercial and less like the sweet, lickable, exotic scent I know it to be. I'm guessing this is the opium or delphinium?

That stage starts to fade quickly, and the amber is finally amped by my skin, as it always does. This stays warm and slightly spicy throughout the rest of the wearing, which is usually a minimum of 8-10 hours. The coconut is the first to give up after the florals, leaving me with spiced black currant caramel, which is utterly heavenly, and my favorite stage of the scent. These three stay almost untouched from this point forward, until, at last, I'm left with nothing but warm amber traces on my skin.

This is one of the few scents I actually own 2 bottles of, and I don't think this will wind up being enough. Elegba layered over Lion is fairly close, though, when it comes to that. :P

Bottle: coconut, caramel, and tobacco. In that order.

Wet: coconut and caramel are the primaries, with tobacco behind and hints of the opium and spice..cardamom?

Dry: tobacco always seems to turn on me - this now smells like a smoker's stale shirt and getting-granular-sweet old forgotten caramels, and that my friends is an unpleasant combination. no currant, no floral, no amber. this is probably what an opium den really did smell like - and you know, those strung-out people weren't so much into the personal hygiene...

Later: oh hey hints of the amber behind the tobacco! who knew? still and all this hates me. really hates me.

Caramel and curent in the bottle but on my skin it turns to a boozy caramel and tobacco leaf. There is just the tiniest bit of coconut. I know it's there but it doesn't smell like suntan lotion on me. It's just rich coconut. This is sweet but not in that tooth-aching sweet way. This is a rich, decadent sweetness that is just a bit boozy. I want to say this is foody but there is an ingredient that keeps it from being completely foody to me. Red Lantern is utterly heady! Loving this!!

Red Lantern - On my skin, this is all coconut and caramel. I can’t decide if I like it or not. Caramel is not one of my favorite scents, and makes the scent too bakery-foody for me. But coconut is a long-time love, and this is one of the first BPALs with coconut that I’ve tried where the coconut note is really self-evident. Upon dry-down, the juiciness of the currant tries to peek through, but doesn’t quite make it, and the scent gains the tiniest hint of resin (probably from the amber). I bought two bottles and will definitely sell one of them, but I may keep one and wear this on occasion.

In bottle: thick caramel and coconut...

On skin wet: coconut, through and through. Nothin' else.

..and it stays that way throughout the entirity of it's duration on my skin. Coconut, I've discovered, makes me nauseous.

0/5. Sadly.