Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tribute to the opium den cum bawdyhouses of Shanghai in the 1930s. Golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice.

In the bottle: Holy sweetness and tobacco, Batman!

@ application: Quick fade to a heavy caramel/coconut. Yum.

@ 5 min: The caramel-coconut starts to blend with a lovely dark spice that keeps it from being sickeningly sweet.

@ 1 hr: Still catching a whiff when I turn my head and wishing it was a food so I could eat it...

@ 3 hrs: The sugary food bit is mostly faded, and the remaining part definitely isn't pipe tobacco--it's not nearly heavy and masculine enough--but it shares the same kind of rich, sweet/spice scent combo. I think I'm picking up just a touch of the opium finally.

All in all, a really neat scent. Not cloyingly sugary, and not too dark and heavy. A good option for the those who want something that's not musky, flowery, or sticky sweet, and has that touch of the exotic. Glad I went for the full bottle. Edited by Shollin

The first time I tried it, I hated it. Mostly because my expectations were really high. I love the imagery and the very idea of the scent. I was hoping this was going to be my signature scent. Other than just being really disappointed, I don't even remember what it was that I hated about it. I actually don't think my nose was experienced or sophisticated enough then to wade through the complexity of this blend. So it was a total shock to me when it showed up again in this update and it screamed out to me to try it again. And I can't tell you how happy I am that I tossed the dice again - and with another whole bottle, no less!

It's so complex and multi-layered. It's the scent I could live in. It's what my fantasy world smells like. It's what my dreams smell like. It's comfy and mysterious and familiar and hazy and exotic and gawdy and shiny and swank and unusual and fascinating and jaded all at the same time. It's what I have lived my life trying to achieve: simultaneous high and low class.

When I think about how I want to smell in the morning or before I go out or whatever, this is not a scent that would come to mind. When I shop for perfumes or oils, this is not something I would pick out as a "treat" for myself or something I "wish" for. This is the scent I must wear. There is no question as to whether it's "me" or not or whether it fits an occasion. It's like, the perfect backdrop for my life.

This will become my signature scent. I want this scent to follow me everywhere. I want it around me everywhere I go.

I will be ordering more bottles of this. No question.

(FYI - My mom's signature scent - the scent of my childhood, the scent I attribute to her and to "comfort" and "love" - was YSL Opium.)

Oh. My. Gods.

When I read the notes of this one, I *knew* I had to have it. Amber? Tobacco? Coconut? Caramel?Spices? The only thing that worried me at all was the currant, but I hoped that everything else would overpower it because it sometimes turns sour/bad on me.

When first applied, wet, it reminds me of booze. And then the other notes start to bloom and morph...and it becomes SO sexy and sultry and gorgeous. I can pick out all the notes (except the currant, thankfully), and it's just glorious. The longer it wears, the better it gets.

I really think I need another bottle of this one, because as someone else said, this is what I feel like I'm *supposed* to smell like.

When sniffing Red Lantern (08) in the bottle, all I could smell was cloyingly sweet caramel and coconut. I was worried, because I like very few of the uber sweet scents.

I applied to my skin and almost immediately, the sweetness toned down and I got an amazing tobacco scent (like really good cigars being lit).

As it dried and once dry, the tobacco remained, and I can now pick out what I think is the white opium and definitely spice. I get a sort of boozy note as well, like really good Scotch. That may be the tobacco again, since some good scotch has a smoky note to it. Amber is definitely making an appearance on my skin and I think I can even detect the delphinium (though I'm glad it's not too noticible). The sweetness is very mild now, and truthfully I'd be okay if it were gone all together.

This is a perfect blend for its description. So rich and complex, and it evokes a clear picture in my head. Quite the winner!

(oh, and I don't get the currant at all. I like currant, so I'd be happy if I could smell it, but this blend is so nice anyway, I don't actually miss it)

edited: the second time I'm wearing this (today) and I get almost none of the cloying sweetness I got last time. It's mostly smoky and a bit boozy, with some incense thrown in for good measure. I like this much better all around this time.

Edited by scarletgenesis

Tobacco, slightly burnt coconut and very strong caramel...

I was expecting this to not really work on me and I was right. I wish the amber came out to play more but for me it's overpowered by the tobacco.

Still, this is a very interesting scent, just not 'me'.

bottle: spicy-sweet amber with a nice hint of caramel-covered coconut. (this is the 2008 version)

wet: the caramel and coconut come out in a blast and mixed with the amber, this is heady stuff. this really puts me in mind of men smoking expensive, elegant cigars, sipping aged brandy and eating some sort of over-sugarded confection while they watch a burlesque show. :P

dry: i love how decadent this smells once it's dry. this definitely has the scent of idle, bored wealth taking in all of life's vices at once.

In the vial: mmmmm - caramel and tobacco (scent tobacco, not real tobacco)

Wet on skin: the same tobacco as Mr Nancy, with a strong caramel note, coconut and amber. Nice!

Dry on skin: the caramel fades away, and gradually so does the sweetness. The tobacco is the strongest note.

Later it's nearly all tobacco and a generally dry, weedy smell. There are clearly skin chemistry issues here!

But the weedy phase doesn't last more than an hour. Now it's a sort of dry, sweet, smoky musk, not entirely unlike Hunter's Moon.

I tested it again with identical results, so this is not something I'm going to wear. Shame - I would have loved caramel and coconut!

In the bottle: caramelly goodness. This reminds me faintly of Velvet and Mme. Moriarty and Elegba (they're kinda mixed up in my lingerie drawer via various tester cotton balls). I really hoped this would go well on my skin.

Wet: chocolate. *ruh* A slightly spicy undertone that quickly mellowed.

Dry down: Sweet, sensual with just a hint of spiciness. This is softly sexy without amping to amazingly awful levels. The tobacco rounds the sweet out so nicely, I have my wrist attached to my nose. This reminds me of the good old days of eating fine chocolates while smoking cigars in a local brew pub.

Love it.

In the bottle - very buttery, my very first impression was "Gluttony?"

Wet on skin - the powerful first burst of buttery scent fades quickly and now the caramel and tobacco are fairly equal and smell quite nice together - but I want this to evolve further

Dry on skin - A gorgeous warm spice blend. I find it cozy and exotic at the same time. It has great staying power since I started this test last night and it still smells great. This is really lovely once all of the notes unfold.

In the beginning I was unsure about this one. I get mostly caramel, black coconut, tobacco, and amber. It doesn't really change at all on me. I decided to buy two bottles finally, just to be sure that I always have some.

ETA: this smells really great aged. Just got complimented on it the other day. It was "spicy and exotic". I really hope it comes back for Lupercalia 2011.

Edited by Megank4

hey mods! i did a review for a previous year of Red Lantern, so if it's not ok for me to do another, by all means tell me, but don't be too grumpy about it, please! :D

Red Lantern 2008

in the bottle: like cream, coconut and opium. yowza! :P

wet on skin: a woodsy note steps up to the front, while the sweet stuff takes a back seat.

dry down: a beautiful complex Asian inspired blend that is a gorgeous assortment of wood, food and incense notes that combine to make something truly magical.

in all: a total, perfect blend.

MORE, please! :D

This is one confusing scent on me. Evey time I sniffed myself (which admittedly was often) that darn stuff smelled different! I feel as though it never settled into one final blend. It changed constantly. In the beginning I got this bright juiciness (currant?) followed by the tobacco. The coconut poked it's head out. It went through a longish caramel phase that I liked for a while, but then did this weird stale thing. The throw smelled noticeably different than the scent against my wrist. At one point I sniffed my wrist and thought "Misk U?" Now, a little over 7 hours later, the throw is almost gone. Against my skin it smells of amber, gentle caramel, and (possibly) opium. I like this stage, but it was a LONG time coming.

Complex would definitely be the way to describe it. I know I am going to have to try it again in a couple of weeks (once hormones change) to see if I get the same result. If so, I think the imp may sufice. It's not bad, just not quite what I am looking for in my BPAL.

In the Bottle: Very rich caramel, amber and tobacco. LOVE!

On Me: Oh my god, I just want to slather this on. It's tobacco, Amber, Coconut and Caramel, and ever so beautiful. It's decadent and gorgeous. I think a 5ml is in order. Dries dark and ever so yummy.

This scent is -so- lovely. I definitely agree with a lot of the points Space Kitty made- at first I was a bit hesitant, because it was a bit too strong and sweet and- dare I say it? Pier 1 Imports room candleish- but the more I sniffed myself, the more I started to like it. It's definitely a very sweet and rich scent; there's a lot going on in here and I can see why some people might not like it.

The caramel hits the strongest; it's a tad cloying at first but quickly turns sweet and warm and nice. I definitely get opium den/bordello from this, classy and rich and decadent with just a liiiiiiittle bit of smuttiness. Just a hint.

In the bottle, Red Lantern smells extremely sweet, good enough to eat! It's all caramel and coconut and tobacco. On me, it starts out as very sweet caramel with an overlay of smokiness on top. After a few minutes, the sweetness of the caramel blends with the smoky dirty scent.

This scent makes my mouth water every time I sniff it! It's delicious, but it's not something I can see myself wearing again.

When I was younger I would have gone for this big time. Now, it's a little too dark and masculine. On me it goes on sweet and dries to a deep tobacco. I like smelling it, but not on me. I could see this on a guy really easily. I'm going to make the boy put some on.

got a decant imp of this as part of a lot bought on ebay.

in the bottle, it smells pretty good...very strong caramel with a smoky undertone.

once on my skin however, this turns HORRID. as in an ashtray full of wet stale cigarette butts & burnt caramel nasty. on the left wrist i had an extra added bonus scent of cheap mens cologne/deoderant (like axe).

it was nauseating and actually gave me heartburn just smelling it. i couldn't wash it off fast enough.

i've only had a few really yucky reactions to BPAL, this is by far the worst of the lot...if not the worst perfume i've ever smelled.

i am glad so many people like it though, at least i know it will eventually go to a good home!

Bottle: Mmm caramel and a bit of tobacco. I think I like it.

Wet: This smells delish so far. A nice blend of amber, caramel, coconut and tobacco. I think the currant helps make it a bit fuller

Dry: This is really heady and cloying, I feel like I'm in a opium den

Overall: I gonna try this again before I decide whether to get a bottle or not but I do like it. I feel like its the perfect club blend...something very sexy

In the imp, I get caramel and tobacco - not something I'd automatically pair, but it's killer, in a good way.

On my skin, I get much more of the opium smoke - it's clearer and sharper than the tobacco; I get just a hint of the coconut and the delphinium.

When it dries, it's a very soft tobacco with a slightly sweet overtone of caramel - I really like it! Definitely need a bottle.

RED LANTERN 08

In Bottle: Smoky sweetness

On Skin: First off, I didn’t really love my original bottle of 2006 Red Lantern, but as it aged… well, wow! It turned into smelling like a Mudslide! Yummy! So, I have to say that this years version of Red Lantern starts quite yummy right off. The caramel is again the leader, followed by the smoky opium and tobacco. Very dark, very swarthy, very drop dead sexy. The amber is powdery and light and doed indeed give this scent a golden feel with is tinted reddish purple by the currant. I smell velvet curtains and furniture. The coconut gives the scent a nutty feel with a slight creamy base. The spice gives it an overall exotic vibe. A beautiful scent that I can’t wait to age. Moderate throw and average wearlength.

This was probrably the only scent that did a total 180 on me. In the bottle it was nothing but carmel and I loved it for that! But then I put it on and it became this horrendous ash tray smell. I'm sad that something that seemed so good went so bad :P

In bottle: caramel sweetness with a hint of smokiness. Same when wet on skin. Drying: sweetened incense (probably the amber I'm smelling), with hints of spices and tobacco. Sweet, slightly smoky, with an undertone of something a little harsh and airy that must be the opium. Reminds me very slightly of Kill-Devil at this stage. It shifts between sweet spices and more smoky and dark.

On me, this lasts hours and settles into a sultry, rich mix that is a touch hanging spices, a touch sweetness, and almost woodsy, cloaked in smoke. It's very nice, I like it very much. It's the only scent so far that I've been complimented on, so apparently others think I smell good too!

In the bottle: Warm spiced caramel popcorn, steamy hot and delicious! With other, sinuous side notes. Hot, round, silken, red-gold, delicious, languid. If it wasn't a Bad Idea [tm] to eat perfume, I'd want to slurp this stuff down.

On my skin: Immediately it changes! Sharp, spicy, cooler, and smokey. The various notes rise and fall. Tobacco surfaces for a moment, then is brought down in the swirl of satin skirts and dusky knowing laughter. There's a little luscious berriness, but it's brought down as well. Finally, I'm left with just a breath of warm swirling smoke and spices, the memory of debauchery. I think I'll wear it more in the locket than on my skin, but both incarnations are incredible.

Conclusions: Ohhhhh yeeeeeeaaaaaaah. That's what I'm talkin' about, baby. (Picked up a 5mL at Will Call, and SO glad I did.)

Edited by alianthe

Another scent I tried & liked at willcall.

Bottle - Sweet yummy butterscotch, similar to the Brachs candy.

Wet - Still warm butterscotch, but a slightly too sweet floral note that becomes a bit plasticy. It could be the delphinium, as I'm not familiar with the scent of the flower; however, opium has been sickly sweet for me in the past, so it could be that or a combination of both. But when I don't smell my wrist too closely - just kind of wave it and take small wafts, its overall butterscotchy caramel.

Dry - Somehow it merges into a caramel/floral scent that works. I can't say it's my favorite scent, but I like it, and can see wearing it on occasion. I'm interested in aging it for a couple months and seeing how it is morphs.

Woah. When I open the bottle I can immediately smell sweet sweet caramel. Glad the boyfriend has a stuffed up nose or he'd be screaming "WHAT IS THAT SMELL???" and pinching his note shut. He hateses the food smells, precious. I totally want to drink this. Very very nice.

On my skin, the tobacco and coconut are coming out. This is the first blend I've had where I can actually smell the coconut! What a huge morph from the bottle! No caramel at all now. It's getting spicy and red-black scented with dark gold glints now and again as the amber pokes up.

Not sure I like this as much as I thought I would. But I feel a bit like I'm coming down with the boyfriend's cold -- my throat is getting sore and scratchy. Could be throwing off my chemistry and my sense of smell. BLAST.

*edit* the more I smell it, the more I like it. A hint of the caramel sweetness has come back as a bottom note with the top being a coconut-y tobacco. Lovely.

Edited by TwilightEyes