Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of misty forests, damp alder leaf, and the gentlest touch of white rose.

First Impession: Skadi on steriods!

Second Impression: I love this, I'd be hard pressed to decide if Skadi or Dublin is the favorite. Damp forest with a suble floral kick, this is a gorgeous scent and blends perfectly with my beloved Legolas in a jar body frosting.

Final Analysis: I would never have tried this if everstar hadn't made the Dublin/Enchanted Forest comparison. I'm so glad I did as it's wonderful.

This has been in my imp box for a long while, and while it passed the wrist test to see if I liked it, I've never worn it.

Today, it seemed appropriate. :P

This is fresh, cold morning air when you're camping, and are the only one awake.

Cuddled in a blanket with a mug of tea, listening to the silence of the trees and birds, breathing in all of the green around you.

Lovely and peaceful and green.

Another St. Patrick's Day review! :P

Dublin is one of my top ten favorites in the regular catalog and I don't think that will ever change, even though it is at the other end of the spectrum from many of my other favorites.

This scent (which I agree is echoed in Skadi) is one of the most unique fragrances that the lab has created, to me. It smells like nothing elseI have ever encountered. It is perfectly round, soft and sparkling -- palest shimmering green, the reflection of spring trees and shamrocks in a perfectly clear river. I wish I could bathe in this. I initially tried this because of the Skadi comparisons and they are very accurate, for me, but Dublin even has a little more staying power. If Skadi is forest greenery frozen in ice, in Dublin the ice has just melted and the world is fresh and green. I don't smell any rose, or any specific woods but I can imagine this being the scent of a faerie forest in Ireland. This will be one to stockpile I think, I don't want to think of a world in which I cannot smell this fragrance from time to time.

I absolutely love this scent! :P It makes me smile and feel cheerful when I wear it, very uplifting.

I think this is a perfect and lovely scent, hard to describe, but perhaps like fresh leaves that have been lightly crumpled in your hand, on a slightly breezy day, with a few flowers nearby adding sweetness but no specific notes. And on me, the staying power is good.

I love this one, completely, and will definitly be ordering a big bottle!

It smelled very nice at first, watery, minty, a touch of floral and then became very mannish on me. Too mannish. I wish the boy would wear this, it would be great on him, but not on me, unless I wanted to attract a lot of women.

Dublin's been playing with my mind today!

In the imp: Fresh, but can't quite pin down any specific notes.

Initial application: Didn't start out too promising. I got a noseful of something floral and very sharp/spiky, if that makes sense. Fortunately that only lasted perhaps three minutes.

After about 10 minutes: There are a whole bunch of notes popping up that I didn't expect... a whiff of mint, a whiff of spice. And it definitely smells MOIST, like a rainy forest.

Over the course of the day: As it dried, it turned into a very spicy/woody scent, something like barky cinnamon, but not quite. In fact, I was almost thinking maybe I got Hamadryad by mistake! (it's still in my to-try pile) The misty/rainy element disappeared in the drydown, but the green spicy woodsy-ness is gorgeous, and surprisingly strong on me. Towards the afternoon, just a hint of floral came back in, but a lovely unassuming floral that didn't jump up my nose and annoy me. In fact, combined with the spice, it smelled like some cinnamon-scented stocks I had in my front porch planters last summer. (well, if those were growing in a misty coniferous forest)

It's not really what I expected at all, but I love it!

*swoons* Ohhhhh. This was my #1 MUST TRY scent when I discovered BPAL, and I wasn't disapointed.

In the vial, it smelled very green and fresh and clean. I got a bit of a whiff of pine, but not too strongly.

Wet, on my skin, I smelled pine and herbs and just a touch of something clean and sweet. As others have said, it reminded me of crisp morning air in a forest.

Once it dried, it mellowed into a wonderful green scent with just a hint of floral underneath. I personally wish there was more of a floral note to it, and I may try layering it with something eventually -- I suspect the new Two, Five, and Seven may go very, very well with this.

It had good staying power on me, and I think it will be a wonderful perfume for summer, because it feels so crisp and cool and fresh.

This is a very unusual green scent. It's so light, delicate, and otherworldly. It's a stroll through an enchanted forest on a cool dewy morning. I'm very drawn to the scent. I would love to meditate in a glade that smelled like this.

I love the scent, but I doubt I'll be wearing it. Somehow this scent is much too large for me to pull it off. It needs to belong to a place, not a person. Perhaps it can be made into tarts instead. I could hardly complain if my house smelled like a faerie glade.

Dublin Haiku,

Sidhe still walk this wood.

Everywhere, the morning green

Glitters with their tears.

Old Dublin:

Wet: Green! Very green. Green green green. Like tree leaves.

Drydown: The rose really starts to come through during drydown, and I get hints of evergreen trees in the background.

Long-term wear: Doubtful. (Old) Dublin is a very fresh scent, and it's quite lovely, but I don't believe I'd wear it as a personal scent. This would make a *fabulous* soap, bodywash, or room scent. :P

Dublin is very manly on me--the white rose is not making an appearance, although there's a touch of fresh greenery akin to what Rose Red did on me, so I'll bet that's where it's hiding. This is a sharp, spicy woodsy scent; I can definitely see it being the Official Scent of the male LotR cast. :D I wanted to try it on the boy, but he was already wearing King of Spades. He added some anyway--King of Dublin!--and let me just say I do *not* recommend that combination. :D However, by itself I think Dublin makes a *perfect* male counterpart to Hamadryad, my beloved spicy-woodsy-floral. I imagine we could wear those two as his n' hers scents for the Ren Faire or other outdoor events and feel like forest spirits. :P

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

I agree with the Skadi comparisons. Dublin has that same piney, pineappley, sweet vibrance that Skadi has. It's also somewhat akin to the frozen notes in Cold Moon.

The drydown is more subdued than Skadi's -- it's a more wearable scent for everyday use.

Wet it's strong, green and dark. Very masculine. It's a forest with wet pines.

Dry the rose comes out, but it doesn't make this scent more feminine...

I have to try this one in my boyfriend, and since we both love the Celtic theme (we live in the Celtic part of Spain) I don't think he will run away... but who knows. Gah, men!

Out of the imp... fruity pine.

This smells fantastic. Green woods, sweet berries, light florals. It is a walk through a fairy forest. And the fae are hiding behind the trees and bushes waiting for you to pass, to come out and finish their celebration.

It is wonderful, why did I get a imp, and not a bottle?

(Where is the kicking myself smiley?)

Initial Sniff: Mist, pine, and sweet herbs. So pretty!

Wearing: This starts out beautifully - a beautiful misty green forest at dawn. Then comes the rose. After about 30 minutes, it is pure rose on me.

Final Impressions: Ahh, rose. we were never meant to be together.

Tried four of my favorite piney scents the other night: Alecto and Hemlock on one side, Skadi and Dublin on the other.

Yes, yes, the Skadi/Dublin comparisons are apt--which is why I was trying this. I didn't get a bottle of Skadi and have been regretting it, so I've been looking for a reg. catalogue scent that compares.

And this does...but not quite enough for me.

First on me it starts with the green notes of the pine, but there is also a bit of floral/herbiness that makes this more masculine than Skadi. I didn't mind this by itself, but when I could smell it with Skadi, I didn't like it so much--sort of like men's aftershave.

Drydown: almost identical (one me) to Skadi. the pineapple notes people are noticing are part of the pine, I believe--if you crush ponderosa pine needles it smells exactly like Skadi (that fruit pine note). I like this phase.

but then the rose comes up, and while it is really quite lovely, and not overwhelmingly floral, I'm wanting something different.....

But lasting power! When I woke in the morning Alecto and Hemlock were long gone, but I could still smell both Skadi and Dublin, and Dublin was stronger and was, indeed, a lovely mix of scents. Just not Skadi :P

When I first tried Dublin, the comparison that immediately popped into my mind was: the masculine version of Glasgow. The same greenness cutting through the sweetness, the same airiness, the same 'mist over vast expanses of land' scent.

Now what I love about Glasgow is its precarious, beautiful balance between sweet and herbal. Unfortunately, I did not find quite the same balance in Dublin. It is definitely much sharper, heavier on the pine and without the berries to soften the blend.

I am afraid this is too masculine for me to wear.

Dublin is nevertheless a great scent, even if I cannot pull it off. I see that it has been compared to Skadi, which has indeed a similar feel to it and which I love. Dublin is just a touch too piney and too sharp for me. A shame as I have a passion for all things Irish and I was really excited about this blend. Oh well. I guess I will go drown my sorrow in a good pint of Guinness now...

I ordered an imp of this because of some rave reviews on livejournal.

This scent started off as a sharp, green scent. There was a strong pne scent and some juicy berry as well. It made me think of cold winters. It has lots of throw at first.

The sharpness quickly started to mellow out, making the scent more complex. It is woody and herby on the dry down, while maintaining that fresh pine goodness.

Five hours later, Dublin has mostly faded away. The floral element is a bit more prominent. I can't smell the berry note, and the pine is really mellow. This is going to fade away in about 10 seconds.

I like this enough to keep the imp, the smell is really pleasant, and I know many people love it. It is more complex and nice than just straight pine, but that is the strongest note on me. I wouldn't order a bottle of this, as it fades on me, and I can't imagine wanting to smell like Christmas more than a few times in a year.

In the bottle: Green, woodsy, and slightly aquatic.

On: Wet, this is very reminiscent of Skadi, minus the berry note.

As it dries, however, Dublin grows very different, to my nose. The sort of spicy aspect that's also very prominent in Skadi disappears, and it smells very green and - as the description says - damp. I know I smell pine.

Overall: I'm tempted to agree with other reviewers who've said it smells just like a forest on a rainy day. Unfortunately, I live in the desert, and can barely remember what a rainy forest smells like. However, this does smell like nothing around me, unless I were to head up into the mountains on the rare occasion of a storm, so I suspect they're right. Regardless, this is very nice.

Forest on a rainy day indeed. If you take Skadi's forest, melt the snow, get rid of the berries, and add some light herbal-floral components- you get Dublin. The pine is definitely prominent. I was hoping I'd like this enough to buy a bottle since I can't find a bottle of Skadi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but alas, it seems we are not meant to be. Whereas I could wear Skadi comfortably, this is a too masculine for me. It's absolutely gorgeous and captures its "scent experience" perfectly, but the scent itself (mainly because of the pine) is just too manly for me.

As it dries, the pine mellows and it's much more wearable, but still a touch too masculine for me. I may try layering it with some complementary scents like florals (I think Beltane in particular would be fantastic!)

[edit] I have to add that this stuff has CRAZY THROW! WOW! I didn't apply much and I have 4 other fragrances on now, and this is wafting up to my nose well above everything else.

Edited by luxuria

Bottle (Imp): Pine and fresh breezes.

Just On: All pine. I don't do pine on my skin well. I like the scent well enough, but do not want to smell like it.

An hour or two later: Totally pine.

Around 6 hours: Still pretty pine, but fading.

12 hours: Very faded pine.

Overall: I like pine, but not for perfume, so it's off to swaps with this one.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get sweetness, or florals from this at all. All I got was pine, pine, and more pine, which is just not something I can wear and enjoy. (I have a deathly hatred of pine sol, and while this does NOT smell like that, it's still pine, and not something I can justify keeping when there are so many others I love.)

Green, fresh, sharp, with pine for added green.

On my skin the rose note is lost after it dries, and the scent remains green and sharp, but not harsh.

Reasonable sillage, reasonable lasting power.

Ooh... this is lovely... I may have finally found a true foresty scent that works on my skin chemistry. Yay!

When wet, I thought that this would disappoint me. It had a fruity quality that I didn't quite like. But the fruitiness disappeared within a minute and I was left with the scent of a dew drenched pine forest.

Strange, I thought, this smells very familiar... and it took me a few minutes to place the smell. This smells exactly like a car freshener that my mother had when I was little. You know those fresheners that hang from the car mirror, the green one that is shaped like a pine tree? Well, that is Dublin.

I never thought that I would love that scent so much on *me*... but I do, I truly do. Dublin is a definite full size bottle purchase.

This was a gimp from the Lab. Thanks, Lab! :P

This smells the same to me from the vial to my skin to the drydown. It's green and sweet and comforting. Misty forests...mmm. God, this is simply one of the best oils I've tried from BPAL. It's also stronger than I expected. Great throw.

A clear favorite.

Alas.

The first time I tried this, I *loved* it. It was the clean, cool, green scent that I had been looking for. I was going to order a 5ml, no question.

About the third time I wore it, it went off. I don't know what happened, but it was no longer cool, green, and lovely. It has a weird sweetish note and just smells....not good. It's not gross, it's not aquatic, it's not cat pee, or any of the other off reactions I ever get...it's just not right. I can't quite describe it...just too sweet, like sweetarts or something, but not fruity. I keep thinking Flintstones vitamins, but I don't think that's quite right either. The pine was gone, the rose was gone. The same thing happened to me with Skadi as well, so it may be some note the two have in common that just doesn't work on me.

It's really too bad, because this has such gorgeous potential--just not on me! I really wish I could wear this.

This starts out as soft pine with a sweet, fruity background. It smells like bubblegum to me. I thought there was lotus, but now I see that it's white rose. I confuse rose with lotus sometimes.

Although the sweetness fades somewhat, I'm not getting misty forests out of this. It smells sticky when I wear it, but cool and fresh in the imp.