Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dublin

The scent of misty forests, damp alder leaf, and the gentlest touch of white rose.

Warm sweet pine forest on me. It smells just like the Origins Into the Woods candle that I love dearly. Warm sweet pine. It would be a great fall/winter scent and I think it would make an especially delicious house scent. This scent screams cuddle up with me on a cold night. It is a bit masculine in tone for me and I can't exactly see using it for everyday wear, but I'm definitely keeping this one around. The throw on this is incredible. It is so strong. I keep getting whiffs of it everytime I move my arm.

Dublin is so perfect. I put it on out of curiousity - not really expecting it to do anything for me. A few minutes later I noticed an amazing smell wafting all around me, and when I sniffed my wrist, I noticed that it was Dublin. It shot to the very top of my "OMG NEED MORE NOW!" list and has stayed there ever since.

Something about Dublin blends perfectly with my body chemistry. I don't get very much pine. I don't get very much rose. What I do get is a beautiful blend that reminds me of damp, green, misty forests in a country I'd love a chance to visit.

Out of every single BPAL oil in stock, Dublin is the one I'm most terrified of being discontinued. And now, I'm off to put some on!

Dublin smells a lot like my boyfriend's after shave when I first put it on, very masculine. Later on, it smells more green and misty. It's not as masculine anymore, but it's not a favourite.

Dublin

I'd love a perfume smelling like a nightly, misty forest with water dripping from the leaves and a hint of wild rose in the breeze. Perhaps that was Old Dublin. Dublin, on me, is more of a hot, dry pine forest with a sweetness of sunwarmed strawberries. At first, I get a traditionally "masculine" smell of pine cones, pine needles and perhaps fir too, but when I don't smell my wrists there's a sweet cloud in the air. As it dries, the pine fades and the sweetness takes over until it can hardly be called "masuline" at all. Perhaps the sweetness is not really strawberries, but I associate it with berries rather than flowers and I can't detect the rose. If a flower, I'd rather say clover than rose. It's not what I expected but I like it a lot and will definitely wear it. Also, I'm glad it's not acrid men's cologne mega-pine as I feared when someone mentioned pine... It's more of a dry, warm, sunny, sweet pine. To me, Dublin is not green but yellow, perhaps amber coloured.

Edited by Caltha

In the bottle

clean, watery, fresh slightly floral

On

OMG. It's a creamy floral that is just out of this world gorgeous. I do smell a tiny bit of evergreen or pine or something now and maybe even cinnamon?

30 minutes

Throw:

More than average

Scent category:

pine/floral/aqua

Summary

Light, slightly spicy, fresh floral.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I expected Dublin to be a lot greener. There is a tinge of green, but it's mostly predominated by the white flower I sniff. Normally, with any scent that has rose as a main component, I'm screaming, "Whoa, no, rose!" but with Dublin, I didn't identify the flower as rose when sniffing. Dublin's a sweet scent, but it's a pointed sweetness, not a syrupy sweetness.

MMm!

This one was an immediate favorite.

Opening the bottle, I got a whiff of something piney, with a bit of deep rich wood scent.

Drying, a bit of a floral, sweet milky scent comes through.

Dry, after about 15 minutes of wear.. delicous. This scent is really reminiscent of its name. This is what I imagine Ireland would smell like. Like a warm, dimly lit pub in a small village inhabited by faerie folk. Slightly spicy and woodsy, with a hint of pine. I don't smell rose, but there's a sweet floral there.

I just love this, I will wear it religiously because it's one of those scents that doesn't need to be worn during a particular season to feel appropriate.

This is wonderful. It reminds me of my favorite Christmas candle.

In the imp, I thought I could smell patchouli. It had that gorgeous wafting licorice sweetness to it. But putting it on my skin - nope. Pine, hints of maple sweetness, and sandalwood? (My skin turns alot of things to sandalwood) Very beautiful!! Stays the same on me as it dries. A very warm scent.

This is one I want in a bottle!

The one I have is from a swap, and is labelled Old Dublin, so possibly it's changed since then, but I didn't get anything masculine, or strongly piney from this. On me, it's very floral, and sweeter than most scents that I like, but at the same time not so sweet as to be overpowering or put me off (I usually dislike intensely sweet scents).

There's definitely foresty undertones to it, but they're decidedly in the background, and stay there even on drydown. The floral component is what stands out most on me. I don't get rose as such so much; it seems more like a mixture of flowers. And there's something about it that makes me think of wildflowers more than domesticated ones. The scent doesn't change much over time on me, just slowly fades down (and, unfortunately, disappears completely within about six hours).

Overall, it's got a soft, light, misty feeling, and is gently sweet without being overpowering. like catching the scent of wildflowers on the breeze while walking through a forest on a summer's day. I don't know if it's "me" enough to warrant a big bottle, but I can definitely see myself using up the imp.

i wanted to smell like a pine forest.

but instead, i smelled like potpourri :P

no pine at all. way too sweet, almost fruity. a disappointment.

i waited several days and tried again, and there was a hint of pine. it’s still really sweet, though. i can’t smell any rose at all.

it lasts for hours. it might be nice mixed in with some conditioner. i'd like my hair to smell like this, but not my skin.

i'm really having trouble deciding whether i like it. i want to, but i don’t think i do.

dublin.jpg

I smell pine, a very good variety. I also get candy, lots of candy scent: sweet vanilla and sugar. I associate this scent more with Christmas than I do Dublin. I really think that Yog Sothoth reminds me more of Dublin (and Ireland in general) than the fragrance called Dublin does.

I'd rename Dublin "The Good Child's Christmas" because it is full of good things, a reward scent more than the smell of a bustling once downtrodden city which is one of the most admired places in Europe.

Dublin is a very good scent indeed. I would recommend it more for the oil burner than for a "put it on your skin" fragrance. Perhaps that's my bias of keeping pine and evergreen for things rather than people, but that is just me.

I'm keeping mine for Xmas around my house. I know it will be heartbreakingly good for the oil burner (mini crockpot), tree trimming and deep Winter parties.

In the bottle: nauseating moss

On the skin: Way too strong of a moss scent for me to handle more than a minute. Reminds me way too much of over-applied aftershave and made me nauseous in the long run. Small bit of piney scent in there, and I abhor pine.

Overall: It's like being trapped in a dungeon full of Irish Spring bars. And I was hoping it would be softer and more friendly.

I passed this up at the Black Broom for Venice, back in June when I knew zilch about BPAL. Venice failed horribly on me (evil, evil orris!), and I've been yearning for Dublin ever since. Yay for getting an imp in a swap!

In the bottle:

Definitely piney, with a hint of sweet rose.

Wet:

PINE attack. Yikes, it's a little like a Christmas candle...

Drydown:

...but over the next few hours it became heavenly. I have this in my "to-try" notes as "sweet rosy pine," based on reviews, and that's exactly what it is. The rose softens up the pine into something soft and sweet, without losing that wild, woodsy tang. It feels green and lovely, and the rose lulls me while the pine is invigorating, if that makes sense.

I don't think the throw was great, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise, my husband kept sniffing me, my mother kept telling me how good I smelled, and I definitely need a bottle of this. My imp was labeled "Old Dublin," though, so I hope the formulation hasn't been radically changed!

I've heard really good things about this one, so let's try it out.

In the vial - This reminds me very much of a sweeter Oisin, only with fewer herbs. It's sweet, faintly floral and a little musky.

Wet - The green foresty leafy scent really comes out now. Whoa, it's a strong green!

Drying - Wow, I don't get any of that sweetness or muskiness at all as time goes on. A strong, strong "green" smell with a healthy dose of white rose behind it, around it, through it. Very much the way I would imagine a crush rose, steam and all, would smell. It's calming down from that BAM! wet stage and becoming a more mellow rose.

Dry (1 hour) - This is just like a greener version of Oisin on me. =) Musk came out a little, the sweet white musk. So, needless to say, I really like it!

Overall - Soooooo going to try this on the Oisin loving boy. The white musk clung to me for 8 hours, although it in general only stayed around for the normal 3-4 hours. (My skin eats scents.) I'm most likely grabbing a bottle of this, just to keep me from using up all my Oisin. *grins*

In Bottle: Very green and herbal.

On Skin: Very, very herby. This scent screams green and foresty. The rose adds a sweetness to the scent but still, the medicinal edge of the herbs is a bit too strong for my taste. For lovers of outdoorsy and herbal scents, this is a must have.

In the Bottle: Green and fresh and slightly citrusy and tangy, sunny, airy and lightly floral way back there. Really lovely.

Dry: Gone. While drying smelled same, until finally.... poof, no more scent at all in 15 minutes, and I SLATHERED. Sadness.

I really love Dublin! But this oil smells -- gratefully -- more like the rugged landscape of western Ireland than it's most congested city :D

On my skin: Misty, green, herbal, aquatic, and something spicy :P (slightly reminiscent of Samhain).

I can see how some reviewers are calling this masculine. The rose is a very faint floral if I crush my wrist against my nose (good -- not a floral person). The spiciness comes out a bit more in the drydown. Can't figure out what it is (notes listed: Alder Leaf, perhaps?)

I'm trying to limit my bottle purchases to 1-2 oils for each season. I think I found a good warm spring/summer scent.

This does smell a lot like Skadi, but less heavy on the pine and more floral, less icy and more misty. The flowers are very subdued, and I can't quite get a grasp on the rose.

It does have that same quality of being both cool and foresty, yet also warm and soft. The pine fades somewhat, and sweetens, with a note in there somewhere that actually makes me drool the more I smell it.

Where Skadi was a forest walk in winter, this is a stroll through a glen in the spring. Very beautiful.

Dublin starts off on me a very light, green, deciduous forest, complete with branches and bark... and then my chemistry turns it into cotton candy.

No kidding, this noticeably goes sugary on me, which is really strange.

Oh well...

In the imp: Sweet, misty...quite difficult to describe.

Wet: Very nice and soft--I smell some sort of floral, but I can't quite identify it.

Drydown and wear: This was quite gentle and cool. This type of scent does not usually appeal to me at all, but I quite like this one. I think it is the aider leaf, as I'm not really a fan of most rose notes. I'm not sure if I'll get more of this, but I suppose I need to keep something on hand for those days when I'm just not in the mood for leather, myrrh or jasmine! :P

Ohhh! This is Christmas time! Dublin smells like a sleigh ride through the woods in Maine after a fresh snow. This is all pine and wood on me. This is definilty a masculine scent, but it works so well on me. My boyfriend loves this too. I think I jusst may have to buy a 5ml for us to share.

Dublin

in vial: pine

wet: same

dry: pine and a faint hint of roses...lasts only about 3 hours

verdict: I wish it lasted longer...I will use up the imp, but won't be buying a larger bottle

Bottle: Sweet seasonal (i.e., winter) candles. A gentle touch of pine that's being restrained by waxiness. Nice, but more potpourri than perfume.

Skin: It's Christmas in a craft store! Pine finally breaks through with a clean, crisp scent of evergreen behind the candle wax. There's an astringent freshness that reminds me of dried eucalyptus, but a hint of standard pink/red potpourri (not 'rose', but not entirely dissimilar) takes off the medicinal edge. Something eerily familiar lurks in the mixture, but I can't put my finger on it.

Skin, Later: The sweetness becomes organic until the green, foresty note reminds me of berry tobacco (beats cherry, I guess). There's a ghostly remnant of the blend's former incarnation, but this time the evergreen is accompanied by a cinnamony kick. It's Christmas, again, and I've got bayberry scented candles on my mind (and skin).

Verdict: Eh. It's nice, but it's not GREAT (hey, I have to be SOMEWHAT selective otherwise BPAL runs the risk of bankrupting my ass!). The pine's pleasant enough, but the overall feeling was just too waxy. I love the winter holidays, but not on my skin. Still, there's worse things to smell like than Christmas scented candles...

This scent has earned a place with Alice, Midway, and Storm Moon on my BPAL Crack Hall Of Fame And Empty Wallets.

In one word, I'd have to say that this smells like Christmas, which sounds silly, but it's true. I get a blend of pine and something that to my untrained nose smells like cinnamon. It's not that far a scent from Yuletide to me. There isn't much rose, but what I think *is* there kind of tempers the perfume from being too pine-y. This is a wake-you-up scent, but it's pleasant, something to look forward to.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in one word: Green!

In the imp: Very, very green. Soft and herbal, and very lovely.

On skin, wet: Tingly! This makes my nose tingle, the way mint does. It's green, herbal, but fresh, slightly woodsy. I get the faintest hint of rose, but shockingly, it stays beautiful, soft, and -- most importantly -- in the background.

On skin, dry: I can't stop sniffing this. It becomes even greener. Not Pine Sol or pine needle green, or radioactive green: soft, herbal, woodsy green. Beautiful green.

Conclusion: Think I've raved about this enough? In the imp, I thought "Nice! But not bottle-worthy." Now? I definitely want a 10ml. This is the very sort of herbal/green scent I love.

ETA: For some reason, this just isn't loving me so much anymore. It's much heavier on the rose and pine, and very... aftershave-y. I am the sad.

Edited by Aredhel