Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olympia301

Euterpe

The Giver of Pleasure, Euterpe is the Muse of Music and Lyric Poetry. She is Delight, and her name means "Rejoicing Well". She is credited with inventing the aulos, and is most often depicted playing that double-flute. Her scent is the joy of performing, the euphoria in song, and the passion inspired by all music: carnation and white poppy, honeysuckle, lemon, iris and white musk.

i really wanted to love this, since it contains carnation, lemon and white musk, all of which i love. however poppy and ylang ylang don't always do so well, and i think they overpower this one and it turns powdery.

In the imp: Floral.

On Skin: This smells peppery. I think it's the combination of carnation and white poppy.

On Drydown: Still kind of peppery. The more I sniff at it, it just seems kinda bitter and makes me think of when you add pepper to food, like in the process of making a meal.

Verdict: Erm. Yeah. Not Good. I've been trying to place the smell and it does kinda remind me to burning wax. :P So far, none of the Muses have liked me...

Euterpe starts out a little sharp. It is kind of perfumey, like french designer perfume. I think I'm getting mostly the musk and posibly the iris and carnation. I'm not getting any honeysuckle or lemon from this. It is a nice, white, feminine floral, but not probably something I'd wear.

wet: mm, I might be going crazy, but wet, this smells a LOT like a slightly sharper version of Morocco. The carnation really makes its presence known before the poppy kicks in to give the scent a waxier cast

dry: mostly poppy, with some of the honeysuckle and lemon shining through. the carnation's gone, which is strange, since my skin usually amps it like crazy.

overall: soft and comforting, but the waxiness of it keeps me from loving this scent.

Wet: Carnation and coconut

Dry: A blended spicy floral.

Duration: Retreated to the wrist by the 4 hour mark. Completely gone at 9 hours.

This one gets a second chance before I decide what to do with it.

In the frimp: bright, spicy floral

Wet: same

Dry: this is a rather soft, pretty, uplifting, sunshine kind of floral to me. Don't really smell the white musk, just these "sunny" florals dancing in a ring :P Don't see me reaching for this often enough though, so it's off to swaps. But it is very pretty.

Imp: Soap. I am scared to wear this. The more floral blends I try, the more scared of them I become.

Wet: Still soapy, but the floral in this is coming out with a bit of musk. It's also kind of sweet and powdery.

Dry: Soapy floral, but I think I'm picking out the carnation. There also seems to be something giving it some kick, but I don't know what.

Final Thoughts: Sweet and pretty, but I just don't think it's my style. So far, this has been the most kind to me, of the florals. I just don't see myself reaching for this in the morning.

This is a very odd scent on me. It smells like a combination of weird old-lady powder and hair spray. I am extremely not fond of this. I don't even know which note is being objectionable here, but I suspect it's the carnation and lemon combination.

I get the same scent on my skin as I did in the frimp -- floral, some musk, and a hint of lemon. I don't smell honeysuckle at all and I wouldn't know white poppy if I smelled it, but the carnation and iris are pretty clear.

It's a very feminine scent, perfect for summer. Euterpe is going on my wishlist for sure.

Initially, smells like evening primrose oil, and possibly neroli. It reminds me of the fresh pollen on flowers in a garden on a warm day, possibly in the morning. It’s a very relaxing fragrance, very subtle and unfortunately dies down too much upon drydown. A gentle, feminine, floral fragrance. Perhaps a little too subtle and floral for me (and nothing is often ever too floral for me!). It does become a lovely powdery floral after an hour and I think I warmed more to it. Might actually take this out of my swap pile for a retest.

I wanted to really, really love this one. Carnation, honeysuckle, lemon and white musk! Woo! But, somehow, the combination simply does not work out for me. There is a distinctly peppery tone to this blend and it gets all up in my nasal passage. I think the honeysuckle and poppy are creating some unholy union on my skin, as well. :P This just absolutely does not work for me.

This one was very pleasant to me. In the imp, it first smelled a little bit "old lady" to me, and the white musk turned me off a tad. On my skin though, it mellowed into a quite beautiful floral. I love the honeysuckle, and was hoping the lemon notes would come out more.

Overall, a very pleasing and sweet floral. I will keep the imp for the occasional moments when I need flowery/pretty, but I probably will not order a big bottle.

Ugh! The honeysuckle turns this immediately to soap on me.

And after THAT mellows the lemon makes it smell like hairspray.

Darn it! I wish the carnation and iris were more potent!

I'll try this one again just to be sure, but I'm thinking its a no go. :P

This was a frimp with an order from someone on the forums. I'm having pretty good luck with the muses so far. This is the second one I've tried, and somehow, despite being pretty floral, I actually think I like it.

In the bottle it smells like an indistinct floral-- usually, I would blame that on my being inexperienced with floral smells and thus not being able to identify them, but in this case I think it's more because they're well blended together.

On my wrist, the honeysuckle comes on very strong for the first forty-five mintues or so, which sort of reminded me of Athens, and then it settles down to a very sweet smell that doesn't offend my anti-floral sensibilities at all. I think the white musk calms the flowers down enough to keep the scent from being overpoweringly floral. I think I'll keep it.

Euterpe works really well on me; it lasts a long time and smells so pretty and happy the whole while. It's a very white, moderately sparkly scent (not quite sparkly enough to tip it over to "fizzy".) Early on, the iris and lemon notes are apparent. The honeysuckle soon emerges. I never noticed the carnation. Once the scent has settled in, it stays fairly true - and lovely - for hours.

This one has a mixture of the old-ladyish (which to me means a sickly-sweet floral; something like sweet and powdery jasmine-rose), probably from the iris, and a bitterness that I can't only blame on the poppy. It reminds me of something Avon did in the 80's, it's _that_ bad on me.

carnation-honeysuckle-lemon-musk sounded like a dream blend. Shame the poppy and the iris had to come and spoil the party.

I'll have to try this again another time, as my nose is a little tuckered out from all the sniffing. However, at this time, I somehow smell mint and lemon , and something almost sickeningly warm and sweet - is that the honeysuckle? Hmm...

On second thought, I dunno if I WANT to try this again later. As it stands now, it's an oddly warm and spicy scent with a breath of mint and so much honey I can practically taste it in my mouth. Good lord. O_O Not for me.

Normally I fight shy of blends containing honeysuckle, because it tends to be overpowering. This one was a pleasant surprise!

Fresh on, the carnation is very much to the fore, sweet and spicy at the same time, with a peppery undernote that's probably the poppy. A few hours later, the musk has pushed its way into equal time; white musk generally works well for me. The remaining florals contribute only a further sweetness, and the lemon never makes an appearance at all -- no surprise there, citrus fades fast on my skin, and it's probably gone before the first burst of carnation settles down.

Staying power is quite good; it was still very present at the 10-hour mark, and faint traces remained even after 14 hours. Bottom line: this is a really nice warm-weather scent, not as floral as the description would lead one to expect, and worth a re-order when the imp is used up.

I ordered Euterpe for two reasons - I love the smell of carnations in my garden and wanted to try a couple of blends containing the oil, and I have a friend who is really very musical and creative and I wanted to check out how this smelt before possibly getting a bottle for her.

It's lovely! Don't get me wrong - I haven't sat down and composed a cello concerto or anything (hee!) - but Euterpe dries down to the smell of spicy Sweet Williams - that faint whiff of sweet cloves - with a creamy hint of white musk. I dont' get any lemon from it at all. I'll definitely keep this imp and I'll almost certainly buy a 5ml for my friend. I don't think she really wears perfume, but then, neither did I until a couple of months ago!

This is just what I was hoping for from a carnation blend. I don't know how long-lasting it is, as I've only been wearing it for about 30 minutes, but it hasn't disappeared yet.

In the imp: carnation and mouthwatering fruit. Yumyum.

Wet on me: Lemon + honeysuckle = lemon meringue pie, at least to my brain. This is scrumptious! I can definitely smell poppy in here too. It's, like, the foodiest non-foody scent that I've tried.

After a few minutes: Still sweet lemon (it's not very lemony though) with slightly narcotic poppy and a little bit of carnation. This smells like something whipped that I want to eat.

Drydown: Poppy and honeysuckle; the lemon has mostly faded.

A creamy, elegant, yet warm and sweet fragrance. It's classy without being too snobbish; like a lady in a cocktail dress and gloves who has a good sense of humour. Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's would wear it. I like it very much!

On me this was just too heavy. A really spicy, heavy musk. It actually reminded me of a cross between two perfumes my mom wore when I was a child.

I think I'm going to keep the rest of the imp around though, it may be one that I'll grow to love.

Euterpe

In vial, bright zesty floral. On skin, all I get initially is musk. Dry, it's a peppy, almost peppery, floral with musk in the background.

[3 - Like] Nice, although, this seems to be one of the headache-inducing florals on me.

EUTERPE

In Bottle: Sour and powdery

On Skin: Wow, this isn’t my thing at all. Very sour, very powdery… I’m shocked there isn’t rose in here. It reminds me of a more sour version of Utrennyaya. It has the foot crème feel to it. Actually, not sure if it’s because of I’m wearing the two scents, but it truly reminds me of Lysander as well! Just not as sweet! After about 10 minutes, the foot crème feel goes away. I smell a bit of the sweet honeysuckle, but the lemon and musk seem strongest, followed by the bitter carnation. A soft scent, very much in the same family as Utrennyaya and Lysander. How funny that I chose to try them all around the same time. Moderate throw and average wearlength.

In the vial: cold and white (although it's actually amber-coloured), spicy floral with chilly lemon and white musk.

Wet on skin: mostly carnation, which I like. There's some lemony sharpness and a peppery note. It's cool and pale.

Dry on skin: the peppery sharpness gradually fades, which is good. It's a colourless spicy carnation, unisex, quite wearable, but nothing special.