Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olympia301

Euterpe

The Giver of Pleasure, Euterpe is the Muse of Music and Lyric Poetry. She is Delight, and her name means "Rejoicing Well". She is credited with inventing the aulos, and is most often depicted playing that double-flute. Her scent is the joy of performing, the euphoria in song, and the passion inspired by all music: carnation and white poppy, honeysuckle, lemon, iris and white musk.

What a happy scent, a pale lemony floral with a musky background. Very light and lovely.

It starts to smell a little soapy after a while, but not unpleasantly so. I think I'll keep the imp for inspiration, but I'm not sure if I love it enough for a bottle.

Edited by karen

In the bottle: A rather plasticky iris and musk, with a touch of lemon.

Wet: Musk and soft sweet lemon, possibly honeysuckle. Then the iris starts coming out again, really strong.

Drydown: All kinds of flowers come out, including the very light carnation and the honeysuckle, mixing with iris and lemon. There's slight musk, that smells a bit powdery. It all ends up into a blend where I can't pick any notes out particularly. The carnation ends up battling the iris for dominance, after a while.

Overall: It's a sort of vanilla-ish iris blend, with creamy sweetness from the carnation, but also that very specific bitter tang of green that comes with the iris. To me it's a bit plasticky and the iris really doesn't like my skin, I think. It ends up smelling weirdly like sour coconut, and that's really not something I like to smell of. And it becomes fouler and fouler on me as time passes, ick. Iris is really not my friend.

As Euterpe ages, I find myself reaching for it more and more. It's such a subtle blend. I can't really tell you what it smells like, but it makes me feel solid and grounded, and the husband always seems to say "you smell good" when I wear it.

Perhaps my favorite muse.

Edited by ayelienne

In the imp: I smell flowers and honeysuckle. I am encouraged, as I know this blend contains white musk, which is very spotty with me.

Wet: Sadness! Even though this imp isn't white or light colored, I am still getting that "stale white musk" smell on my skin.

Drydown and wear: Because this oil contains so many other notes, the stale smell does eventually go away, but by the time it does, all that remains is an indescript "floral." Fortunately, my sister can wear all the oils that fail on me for musk-related reasons, and she is already enjoying it. :P

Edited by The_Merf

Hmh, I recognise the carnation for the first time in this perfume. It is somewhat acid, or astringent, I don't know how to explain. I don't get the musk in the beginning. I think my skin swallows this scent...

No lemon either...

Later on, it un-sweetens. I would swear I smell some kind of wood, but it is not supposed to have this. Maybe it is the mix of carnation and white musk? hm. I don't get the honeysuckle, which I like... hmp :P

I applied more to see what happens. But it is definitely very subtle on my skin, I have to sniff my wrist to catch anything...

Some hours later: it seems to go powdery, not in a bad way, but also not in a good way.

I have to agree about the aged factor with Euterpe. I purchased a used bottle from someone that had been around for I'm guessing at least 6 months. Anyway, it smells of well, as everyone says, white musk, lemon and floral, but has excellent lasting power and does not go soapy.

Since I'm a flutist and Euterpe is my muse, I wear this when I play most of my concerts, shows, whatever. The scent definetely instills some sort of calm awareness in me, which is perfect, and, I always get tons of compliments from people in dressing rooms or after the concerts. What could be better?

Edited by euterpe414

in the vial:

Hmmmm...I have no idea what this smells like. It's definitely floral, and a bit fruity and spicy, but honestly I don't know how else to describe it.

wet:

This is not like anything I've smelled before, which is good. The lemon is most prominent at this stage, but there's also a lot of spice from the carnation, and another note I don't know - maybe the white poppy? Very soft at this point.

dry:

This is very well-blended and it settles nicely into my skin. I actually am liking this quite a bit - it's really complex and unusual. It fades pretty quickly on me, though.

season: Any, I think.

office-friendly? Yep - nice and light.

overall:

Overall, I would say this is a subtle, soft, creamy floral with the slight bubbly brightness of lemon. Very pretty, and like other reviewers have noted, very calming.

First sniff: Breezey, billowy and oh so clean. It reminds me very much of that scene in The Two Towers when Eowyn is standing in front of Meduseld and the wind over Edoras comes whipping past her, catching in her dress and her hair.

Wearing: Just like Eowyn in a dress, Euterpe is outwardly feminine and well-behaved… but there’s a fire underneath. Hail the spicy carnation, ye who keep iris powder in check!

Bottle: poppy and...not sure what the other floral note I'm barely catching behind is.

Wet: the iris, I think..and I'm catching hints of the lemon and musk.

Dry: the honeysuckle is really present, now, but it's all muddling together - it's going generic floral on me. ruh?

Later: high, not quite sweet, generic floral, almost soapy. oh, this does not like me, no it does not.

bottle:

light spicy floral

wet:

slightly musky, slightly citrus, light florals

dry:

a little too musky for me. It also may be going powdery… Yup somewhat soapy/powdery

overall:

too musky for me

rating: 3/10

Frimp in a swap with OriginalWacky. :P

In the Imp: Faintly spicy, lemony florals. Iris, musk, lemon, honeysuckle, carnation... all present, all easy to identify. Can't find the white poppy, probably 'cause I don't know what it smells like. :D It's surprisingly nice; the musk and lemon really help to round things out.

Wet: Carnation! And faint lemony goodness, and dry, pleasant florals. There's something a little sticky and sweet in the background; gotta be the honeysuckle. The musk sort of blends in, giving the florals a little substance.

Dry: Pretty much the same. This is pleasant, but it actually reminds me of other essential oil perfume blends... it's not, to me, terribly distinctive or striking (although I am surprised by how much I like it: I expected to find it foul.) My mum loves it, though, which is good, since it's really hers anyway!

This is a 'frimp' I received- I think it's very lovely, but for the life of me I have read and reread the different scents that make it up, and I can't pick out a single one! On me, it's a soft floral. That's all I can make out! Grrrr...me and my non discerning nose! :P

In the imp: Powdery sweet florals with a hint of something spicy.

On the wrist: Spiciness is a little more apparent, this is good.

Drydown: That powdery floral scent is back again. I think the powdery bit comes from the white musk...

Nice, but not for me. I should just face the fact that I am not a florals kind of girl eh?

Off to the swaps.

ETA: Fixed a typo.

Edited by Miseraya

Euterpe - I thought there was a strong possibility that I was not going to like Euterpe because of the Iris note in it and the fact that I can't usually wear iris. Fortunately, the iris is blended far into the background. I distinctly smell carnation and poppy, and as it sits on my skin and warms up, I begin to smell a pretty strong touch of something spicy. Is it perhaps Cassia? That's my best guess. As it dries down, the spiciness remains, but a more mellow and not so biting version of it, and the overall scent is rounded out by the musk and a tiny bit of lemon (almost the lemon of fresh Dorian) shines through. It's a nice fragrance. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really to write home about, either. I won't be buying more, but see no reason not to use what I've already got.

Sweet and slightly floral. On me, this becomes an old lady scent. I am surprised that the lemon is not more apparent. Not bad, but not me, either.

In the imp: A bright, clean scent. I can't really identify any notes. It's floral, but in a very light, bright way. There's a strongly sweet note, which I think is the honeysuckle, but it's not too sweet.

Wet: Okay, I can smell what's probably the lemon, but it's not the usual tangy lemon scent. It's more just a brightness.

Dry: Um. I don't know what this is that's coming out as it dries, but I don't like it. Smells like a cross between soap and some kind of cleaning spray. It definitely reminds me of some cleaning fluid I've smelled...used in a hotel or motel, I think. I really don't want to smell like this. Oh, well.

Oh dear.

Poppy, poppy, poppy's evil smoke!

All around the poppy are such nice things, Euterpe, why poppy? Why for me, who loves music like her own soul, did the muse of music bring poppy?

Now that the poppy has raged over, Euterpe is rather...interesting.

But I do not think I will wear her much.

The poppy is definitely overpowering in the beginning but it mellows out after a few minutes. It turns a bit soapy on me, although there is some lovely floral in it. Feminine but the poppy gives it a darker/deeper edge.

When I first put this on, I was reminded strongly of a 'good' commercial perfume (not a fan of them in general, but it smells like a nicer one). It has a very sharp, high note that I often get from florals and is also very clean smelling, but I can't really pick out the individual notes. Hmm, once it dries a bit it turns into lemon pledge with a touch of floral, :P that must be the lemon kicking in. After about an hour a hint of honey/vanilla peeks out, but that high sharp florally/lemon smell is still there, so the sweetness doesn't salvage this scent for me.

Overall, not my type of scent. It's a very clean and generic (but light) floral, and I can see this being something I want my laundry to smell like, but not me.

Edited by birdiefu

In the bottle: plastic and... makes me think of hairspray. Not too convincing so far.

On my skin: somewhat similar to Stardust. Stardust with carnation. But still some plastic :/

After a couple of hours: honeysuckle shows for a very little time, then all it remains is plastic.

Verdict: well, no. Stardust is much more lovely plastic-sent ;P

In the imp: lemon and carnation and honeysuckle. Yum.

On me, wet: lots of lemon and soapy florals over soft musk. Dammit, I guess the iris must be doing bad things on my skin.

On me, dry: soap, but at the edge of the throw I can smell the carnation and poppy. Arrgh. Where's my citrus and musk and honeysuckle?

Later: hmm, okay, the iris burns off after an hour or so - and I'm left with the scent I wanted, a warm spicy musky base under sweet honeysuckle and lemon.

Verdict: Well, hmm, I dislike that iris phase - but after it's done, I'm left with a fairly decent substitute for Et Lux Fuit. One to re-test.

Edited by storme

In the bottle, this is a very pale floral. I guess that’s why it’s called white musk, right?

Once it’s on, though, I can definitely smell the lemon, and the florals that seem to stick out are the iris, with just a hint of carnation. It balances very well with the lemon, and manages to smell clean without smelling soapy.

After it’s dry, Euterpe is powdery (that is to say, has a powdery nature about it, not that it directly smells like baby powder or anything of the like) fresh scent, that’s light and feminine but definitely not overpoweringly floral (I think the white musk is what’s doing this). Which is a great combination, if you ask me.

Oh, I've been wanting to try this one for a long time. So I'm thrilled to finally be able to.

In the imp: Smells like carnation with a touch of sage to me (why sage I don't know).

On the skin: Oh, this is lovely. Flowers, slightly spicy, a touch of poppy and musk. This is a wonderful floral blend. But not super floral, not super sweet. It's a bit on the dry side, and for some reason reminds of the spiciness in Youth Dew.

Yes, this is all poppy, musk and carnation. This is great.

It’s not particularly longlasting but I only put a smidge on – perhaps it would last longer with heavier application. As it dried, it stayed true as it dried, poppy, musk and carnation. Lovely. It reminds me of a scent that would be especially suitable to wear to work; it’s rather low-key but lovely just the same. Slightly sexy but not overtly so, and somewhat comforting. I could see this would be a scent that would inspire the spilling of secrets.

This is such a cheerful scent! It's bright, fresh, and sunny. I tend to get doom-and-gloomy sometimes so I think this would be good for me to wear on those days to pep me up. I haven't had much luck with citrus scents but this one I can't tell it's there, though I bet I'd miss it if it weren't.

The white poppy in this gave me hope that it might actually STAY ON MY SKIN. It was very generic white Grandma perfume in the bottle, but was lovely on my skin... for, like, two seconds.

Alas, it turns out that I have the chemistry that eats destroys any and all white florals, if my skin's reaction to this, Snow-Flakes and White Moon is anything to go by. :P They just disappear on me.

I certainly like soft white florals in theory, but moments later, it's like I never applied anything -- it's been the same for all of them. The carnation note, I was sure, would have staying power, but there was no throw at all, nothing to indicate that I SLATHERED this stuff on, because I tend to slather.

The next "pale" white floral I eye will be regarded with deep suspicion.

Edited by Grifyn