Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Snow Moon

In December, the skeletal, ice-rimmed fingers of winter take hold, and the nights are long, chill and dark. The first flurries of snow touch the land, and the earth itself becomes quiet. A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

In the imp: Pine

Wet on the skin: Vick's Vapor Rub!!!! Darn these winter scents. I have been looking for one and so far I haven't found it.

Dry on skin: Pine sol and Vick's vapor rub!!!! :D

Off to the sales bin with this one!!!! :P

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. FIR and other sweet piney woods, hint of sort of rootbeerish birch, herbal chrysanthemum, that bpal SLUSH note, feminine floral bouquet. Cold, woodsy, floral, slightly sweet.

Wet: Sharper, more astringent - mentholically so - eucalyptus? It's an evergreen mosh pit right now. Less sweet and less floral. Still slushy-snow cold. The birch is just as distinct, and maybe some other non-green woods too.

Dry: It's sweetened up a bit, and the birch has amped which may partly explain it. It's drier, less cold and slushy, more deep forest on a dry night. Florals very faint, and sort of traditional perfumey.

Later: The eucalyptus has calmed down a bit, and the sweetness sort of balances out, but this still PINEY WOODS WHOA on the whole.

Summary: Sweet fir and pine, woody, root-beer birch, a hint of medicinal eucalyptus, with light snow and classic faint white florals. Unisex, I guess? It reminds me a ton of L'Inverno without the fruit.

Stupid sweet pine, gtfo. Grr. Also not a fan of the hairsprayish floral notes.

In the bottle: Pine, cinnamon, snow, pale white flowers. Honestly, I didn't like it the first time I smelled it, but now it's my favorite scent after Helena:

After 10 minutes: The pine stands out. The name for this scent is perfect! It's smells like a forest in snowy winter time, when the flowers suddenly became covered in snow. It smells cold. It's beautiful and has atmosphere.

After an hour: This lasts. I've gotten so many compiments. It's not anything I would ever expect to like, but I love it! It smells the same in the bottle as it does on me. It's delicate and strong. And it lasts.

Overall: Lovely! Snow, and pine, and flowers. It has a perfect wintery atmosphere. A perfect winter scent. I really hope that this comes back as a lunacy scent this year. I'll buy several bottles!!! :P

Wet on my skin this is a blatant cold piney/eucalyptus smell, and there's a hint of mint too. This is such a morpher though so people that are scared of chilly slushy smells don't give up.

My chemistry turns this so sweet on drydown, the cold side dissapears and I get slight floral with lots of sweet sweet berries. Almost the sweet berries of Bewitched or Midwinters Eve. It's such a contrast from the wet stage.

The only thing is, it has absolutely no throw and is very very very faint.

Not a scent I would say is gawjusss, but it's the second slushy scent I've tried (Snow Bunny was the other) and they've both been morphers in the same way, slushy to sweet!

I no longer have my imp of Snow Bunny but, from what I recall, the two are nearly scent twins. BPAL’s slush note, so sweet in and of itself, is interlaced with a piercingly sweet floral perfume. I have a hard time picking out specific floral notes, but I’d say the narcissus has quite a presence, while I don’t smell any rose at all. The fir and birch are content to hang out in the background – I think the woodsy notes were a bit stronger in Snow Bunny. This is really a lovely, girly, wintry blend. I’m wishing I had more than this half imp’s worth.

A lovely, monumentally generous forumite frimped me with this lovely scent, which I am hoarding ferociously and only wearing on the most special of days. :wub2:

In the imp: The Lab's lovely pine note, with clean snow and delicate florals in the background

Wet on skin: The pine mellows (!) while the snow and florals intensify just a bit.

Dry on skin: Beautifully blended pine, snow and wintry florals...this is one of my all time favorites and definitely my most loved lunacy so far. Nothing amps, goes bitter or too sweet, and it lasts for over 8 hours on me. Gorgeous.

Wet: Wet and spicy. Is that the chrysanthemum?

First on: It's the same when it's first on my skin.

Dry: Same, but with...pine? A bit unexpected.

In the decant: When I opened it up, I got hit with a wave of cold air and the eucalyptus that others have mentioned, altogether it's not listed in the notes. (Had it kept to these two notes, it would have been what I wanted Moon of Ice to be, and with some staying power, but sadly enough, the Moon of Ice melted into my wrist within in minutes, so not bottle-worthy.)

Wet: It's already starting to morph away from just cold air and lovely eucalyptus.

The dry-down: I'm getting the florals now, but not as single notes, but as a lovely wild garden about to be covered by falling snow. And there's some kind of minty note in there, which must be the fir. And yes, there's the rose, I suspect, a bit sweet, but tempered by all the other flowers and cooled by the snow. (I amp rose.) And a hint of mum and something spicy underneath.

Right now, it's a lovely scent.

And, it's cool-feeling on my wrist. How does Beth do this!? I love the coolness--could be a great oil for the dog days of summer. :)

Edited to add the following: An hour later, it has gotten a sweet note, like sugar thrown on snow, but not like maple syrup on snow. And I can catch whiffs of it as I move my arm around. Add in a half-hour, and it's starting to fade, but the sweetness seems to be the last to leave. Quite a morpher. Might would like a bottle, but would have to slather or re-apply a lot.

Edited by thekittenkat

What I smelled first was a not-sweet not-exactly-mint mintyness and fir forest. Looking at the notes, I think the not-mint minty is birch. I dont think I get any florals at all out of this, but then again maybe the dusty dry powder thing I smell is the mums. There is just the hint of dry and sweet under the minty not-mint that may be the florals hiding out. This is a very interesting companion to the other snow scents, which seem to be very different from this. Granted, this is pretty aged by now and may not resemble the fresh oil at all... Love love my bottle!

Overall impression: cold and dry, powdery snowy forest =)

(eta: even prettier the longer its on my skin -- the birch has gone more barky now, still with the powdery not-mint snow vibe)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

I almost cried when I sniffed this one because it reminded me of a certain evergreen potpourri that we had in the house when I was a kid and my grandma was still around in the days before dementia got the better of her. But it is quite lovely; sweet evergreens, the evergreens of which I'm guessing are sweetened by the florals, covered in a chilly blanket of winter-minty snow. Grandma passed on a couple years ago, but I'm so glad I have a scent that will forever remind me of her. :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

Man, I could have sworn there was a little musk in this! Sharp ozone snow as expected but instantly darkens into an enormously complex scent with a hint of fir and something sweet. Maybe it's the chrysanthemum? I did love Chrysanthemum Moon...

Yay! Just looked outside and it's snowing in lightly falling little flakes drifting down in a determined sort of way. Perfect for this oil :)

This begins a bit like Vick's Vapo-Rub on my skin as well, but soon turns to sweet pine and florals on my skin.

This scent is extremely similar to Snow Bunny and Ice Queen. Snow Bunny is a softer scent on my skin though and Ice Queen is not as sweet as Snow Moon. But still, if you like either or both of those blends, this is worth trying.

Edited by angelicruin

When I first put this on, it is pine, snow, and florals.

I figured the snow is melting off of the pine tips onto the flowers. Lots of white ones, and maybe some mums. As it dries it becomes a sweet snow scent. It is Snow Bunny's older sister

the fir is VERY strong at first then disappears within an hour. After that I don't smell much else at all, maybe light flowers, maybe...

but it's almost like I put nothing on

Somehow this always translates to spicy snow and fir on my skin, and while it's utterly ridiculous to think of snow as spicy that's what Snow Moon is to me. Chrysanthemums to my nose is a spicy floral, and it is also a very dominating scent at that. I can barely detect any of the other flowers, and even with a heavyweight like white rose, this is all chrysanthemum - all the time. Fir and birch meld together so seamlessly, that it is hard to pick out their individual scent. Together along with spiciness of the mums and the icy cold, snow and woods, this is one the best snow blends ever. Now if only it would snow more...

It reminds me a bit of The Snow Storm, which is one of my absolute favorite scents. It is strongly pine/evergreen at first, but the florals are really starting to pop - making it smell like a winter garden on the edge of a forest. Really a very lovely scent! :wub2:

Since I love Frost Moon and Cold Moon, I didn't hesitate to pick up some Snow Moon. Snow Moon is similar in feel to those other Moons, as well as some of the icy Yules. There's some pine/fir and some ozone notes, but it's got the same cold, snowy feel as the others.

In the imp -- icy clean fir and birch with white spring flowers, it's a lovely image.

Wet -- the fir dominates, which is no big surprise as I amp woods to death, especially piney woods. Uh oh, and there's a touch of the slight urine smell I get with strong pine scents.

Dry -- remains mostly fir with a touch of sweet flowers, but that wet phase impression unfortunately stays.

Bottle: The Lab's snow/slush note is definitely prominent with a soft pine underneath.

Wet: Pine, pine, pine. I'm in a christmas tree farm during the first winter snow, trying to find a tree for the year. Florals are very, very faint but I can detect what I think is the white rose and the mum underneath it. Could be the tulip instead of the rose. They're buried in needles.

Drying: More flowers coming out. The pine is a sweet one on me, not a harsh one like it has been in other blends. I can also smell some spiciness when I take deep breaths, and assume it is the mum.

Dry: This is gorgeous. I bought it from the sales forum a while ago, can't even tell you when, and hadn't properly tested until today. So silly of me. This really does bring me to a forest of winter evergreens but the first bits of spring peek out from the pine needles and snow.

Verdict: So so so glad I bought this when I did. My brain must have knew something it wasn't telling me.

Snow and fir in the bottle. Goes on as a sweet, berry/floral snow with fir — in the Skadi/Almond Blossom family — and dries as a beautiful fir, similar to Take the Moon. Just gorgeous. Not a ton of throw but it lasts most of the day.

In bottle: Fir is by far the dominant scent, a pure Christmas-tree note, though without any sort of lightness or snowiness. It reminds me a bit of clothes stored in an old cedar chest.

Wet: Wood. Like, fresh-chopped wood, still somewhat moist and living. (Which I guess is birch?) A slight spicy note begins to come in from behind, maybe the chrysanthemum or narcissus? Though it’s not particularly floral. It reminds me of a really nice potpourri. After a little while I begin to notice the rose, though it's still very faint behind the wood. 

Dry: really fantastic length; I can sometimes still smell this the day after I applied it. The dry scent is mainly fir, with just the faintest hint of florals – not enough to pick out any specific flower, just enough to sweeten and soften the wood a bit. It really reminds me of clothes stored in a cedar chest: this lovely, old-fashioned scent.

A fantastic winter perfume that is very unisex. 

Snow Moon is coming back soon, and nearly 20 years after this scent's release, I'm reviewing it 😅 

The 2005 version is in the beautiful cobalt blue bottle, which goes so well with the blue and white snowflake label. Even though it's in the blue bottle and almost 20 years old, the fragrance still somehow smells pure and fresh (and certainly not "off" at all). 

The scent is slushy sweet fir sap, frozen with fancy winter blooms. Rose usually amps on me but stays well blended. It's got some Yule-like spice dusting as well. A lot of people have said "pine", but I don't get much similarity with, say, The Wiley Grasser, which definitely has the pine note. They're both unmistakingly evergreens, but quite different.

Another one of my favourite winter scents. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 2024 Snow Moon is going to be like!