Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Macha

Red Phoenix

A celebration of three years of decadence, determination, death and rebirth. Red musk, tonka, Chinese cassia, mandarin, patchouli, benzoin, wild plum and tobacco.

On me: Spicy plum and patchouli, with moderate musk. Not really getting the benzoin or the tobacco. Edited by Shollin

Well, this is one that *seems* like it would work on me in theroy but smells awful on my skin. I hated it in the imp but thought I'd give it a go since I like all the notes. Or maybe not.

I think I hate Cassia. Or whatever that spice note is. I think I'd like it in another blend -maybe as a background note- but in the forefront like this, esp with the other notes in combo, it smells like cinnamon potpourri. And not in a good way.

Swap pile!

This is, indeed, a very red scent.

Unfortunately on me, patchouli and tobacco pretty much dominate the entire scent. Not unpleasant but certainly not what I was expecting.

*sigh*

Again, foiled by patchouli.

I slathered this all over after sniffing it frorm the bottle, and...it disappeared! I put some under my nostrils, just to be sure, and it was...just ..not..there.

I have read from fellow forumites about their skin eating the scent, I just never thought it could happen to me..... :P

Well. guess it will be an excellent room scent...

Bubble gum. No, really. At first this is bubble gum with a hint of cinnamon. The cinnamon starts to creep up a little more, and it's that terrible Red Hots fake cinnamon that I hate. Fortunately, the cinnamon dies down and the scent goes back to being bubble gum. It starts to morph from bubble gum into fruit gum and then starts smelling like a fruity dragons blood. The fruit slowly fades out into just dragons blood which holds sole dominance for a while before the scent dies. While I didn't like this scent like I hoped I would, the patchouli mercifully did not make itself known just as I'd hoped.

Spicy Oriental are my absolute favorite scents of all time! When I had the opportunity to purchase this I just knew that it had my name written all over it. The first thing I noticed was that it really had a 'sharp' smell to it. The cinnamon was very strong and I could detect the tobacco which I really don't care for at all. After applying it I could smell all the spices along with the patchouli (which doesn't detract from the scent but adds to it). The plum comes floating through and adds it's fragrance nicely to the mix and the tobacco all but disappeared. I really love this one! :P

This is warm, fiery, red and very sophisticated! I immediately get something like amber and detect the Chinese cassia straight after. It’s also a very gourmand fragrance despite the musk base. I love tonka and benzoin and I think that’s why I’m loving this so much. It suits my body chemistry a treat. The only note I can’t really discern is the tobacco though perhaps I fancy I can smell the wild plum. A fantastic blend for autumn evenings and I found it to be a great follow-up to Fire Pig. Oh my, a bit later I get the tobacco gently emerging, and beginning to mingle with the cassia – though can only smell it when not madly sniffing my wrists! Even later, I went out to a bar and it was smoky with hand-rolled cigarettes – it was then that I got the tobacco note in Red Phoenix! This fragrance was so tantalising and lasted several hours on me – I think I may have to work on getting a 5mL of this.

Bottle: spice, sweet spice

Wet: the cassia and red musk, with a citrus edge I can sense more than smell

Dry: patchouli and tobacco present (hoping the tobacco doesn't take off), this is darkening considerably

Later: back to mainly spice, the plum is lovely...fantastic, really lovely!

It took me a couple tries to really love Red Phoenix, but I do. Cassia dominates, which it usually does, but the other notes get to slowly come forward, especially the tobacco. It's definitely a Red scent. As it wears, it remains a dry and spicy scent, but it has that characteristic 'bpal' feel which reminds me of incense. It's something akin to Hellion, or a much drier Snake Charmer, both of which are great. And this is, too.

Red musk and patchouli top this, with a bit of cassia sprinkled on top. It's a fiery scent, but earthy, too; a very damp heat.

Patchouli plus musk always smells like Coke to me, and this smells a bit like cherry Coke in the bottle.

Once it goes on, look out! It's not cola-like at all. Here's the cassia, right on top, along with the plum. The tobacco is a sweet, almost feathery smokiness caught in the back.

Smoldering coals, rather than an open flame, Red Phoenix is rich, warm, and sexy, and just a touch dirty. It dries to a spicy, dry finish, the flames at last catching, curling up in tendrils of spice-scented smoke.

A wonderful scent, just wonderful.

I almost bought this about three times when it came out, so when the lovely Miss Christy just up and GAVE me a roller bottle, I squeed my pants.

Bottle: Fabulous red musk, cassia, patchouli, and something almost minty-fresh... benzoin? There are hints of mandarin and plum, and the rich brown smell of tobacco. Mmmm. Delicious.

Wet: Drier and more spicy, as the musk recedes and the cassia, patchouli, benzoin and tobacco come out. It's not harsh, though, unlike The Great Sword of War, and the mandarin and plum and tonka provide a sweet background. Gaah. I love this.

Dry: This turns just a touch powdery on me, but in a really nice way-- it's the slick fruit powder I get sometimes from mandarin, but it works here, in combination with amazing spices and the tonka and tobacco. It's gorgeous, and rich, and spicy, and absolutely my kind of smell. Great throw, and long wearing. So glad I've got a bottle.

Verdict: :P

Edited by WidgetAlley

Mmmm. Smoky, spicy, sexy. Straight out of the bottle this scent is very dry and subtly spiced. The tobacco is just enough to be noticeable but doesn't overwhelm everything else. The patchouli stays in the background to provide a stable, earthy base. Everything else blends together perfectly to add just a touch of sweetness. I absolutely love this scent; I just wish it all lasted longer on me! The spice fades first, within an hour, and the rest slowly disappears over the next two hours. The throw isn't overpoweringly strong; it stays close to my body, just barely enough for me to smell while doing my normal work without having to shove my nose into my wrist. Of course, since this is so good, I want to shove my nose into my wrist anyway, but at least I have the option of not. :P

This blend starts off HOT, HOT, HOT! An almost bitter spice - like cinnamon sticks, not big red gum. It's really an amazingly fiery smell...I can't detect the patchouli, nor tobacco individually, though they may simply be too well blended into the background spices. The musk, tonka, mandarin, benzoin, and plum bring some sweetness to the fire and some added depth. This is a hot and complex blend on me, one of my favorite spice blends, and I am a BPAL spice connoisseur! My only caveat with this one is that after an hour or two the sweetness starts dominating the spice and transforming it into something a bit more lukewarm. I think I'd have liked it better had it stayed true to its original fire - though that could just be because my decant is aged! I still plan on getting a great deal of wear out of this one! Very well done!

Wow - what a morpher! This went from 'eh' to 'hmmm' to 'YUM!' over the course of the day... Wet, I'm getting Big Red gum with a bit of patchouli in the background - really sweet & cloying. It's very similar to Bengal's opening volley. Within minutes it vanishes - poof! Barely a trace of cassia, that's it. Luckily, I had a busy day & didn't bother replacing it with anything on my wrists, because after an hour or two, the tart plum & red musk emerge... faintly at first, but slowly warming like a coal in a brazier. By the end of the day the sweetness is gone & has been replaced by lovely smoky tobacco with a bit of tangy red musk lurking in the shadows. I get a bit of warm woodiness too, akin to the final throes of Anne Bonny. I don't get any mandarin, which is fine with me... I almost feel like this is a precursor to Mme Moriarty - similar components, a bit rougher out of the gate, but definitely in the same vein.

In the bottle: Red musk and patchouli, mostly. I have been thinking I prefer white musk to red just generally and I think this clinches it. Wet: Better. The more subtle elements come out to play. i can't smell the mandarin at all, but tht's to the good, as i haven't much luck with orange notes. The plum and cassia are subtle, but lend it body. It almost smells spicey, like there's a hint of cinnamon. i like the way the tonka smooths things out. Dry: Surprisingly sexy woman's perfume, pleasantly femme fatale without being overbearing. This would be hot on the right woman.

I am THRILLED that I didn't buy a bottle of this, cause it burns my skin like Eclipse does. :P The mark of the Red Phoenix, indeed. It's also headachy, which I've learned is what will usually happen with me and red musk. Too bad tho, it is a nice scent on me. The musk, cassia and to a small extent the patchouli are all present, with the mandarin mellowing it out in the background. Can't get the tobacco just now, but I guess I'll never know - it's time to wash this spider rash off. Oh, and plenty of throw, of course.

bottle: this is all cassia upon first sniff.

wet: very strong cassia once applied. after a few moments, the musk and a hint of patchouli.

dry: once this dries, it is far more complex. i'm getting a hint of the plum with lots of spice and a bit of musk. very lovely.

This is very red smelling. For whatever reason, when I first smelled this a while back I thought it was a warm, rounded cinnamon. I just tried it on again today and thought to myself "this kinda smells like cinnamon, but it's far more mellow.. and really fascinating to smell." Checked the notes on here and sure enough, no cinnamon is listed. This slightly burns my skin when I apply it but it's nowhere near irritating or anything like that. Overall this is a very red scent, yet it is not bursting with sharpness nor is it an 'in-your-face' type of scent. It is a very mellow, rounded, warm, and reddish/burgundy fragrance.. gender neutral, a confident scent with a mysterious vibe.

ETA: It has been brought to my attention that cassia is cinnamon. I knew that. I was just testing you. Really. :P

Edited by Josh

Red Phoenix is gorgeously warm and complex, with ambery musky smoky goodness morphing into soft luscious plum. I need another. I forgot how badly I need another! The cinnamon/spice is there, but it fades quickly and plays a supportive role as the benzoin and tobacco move up. A real keeper.

I am BATHIN' in this, aw yeah! I loves me some plum and patchouli and benzoin and... this is musky and chewy and feminine without being cloying and it's DELISH.

Cassia is the first one to come to the forefront but once it's on it's sexy sexy red musk, with a juicy sidekick i'm thinking is the plum. The warm scent of tobacco (a note I never thought I would like after I stopped smoking but it's very different from what I thought it would be, it's warm and brown and comforting) comes through as a backdrop everything else is played against. This one is sailing right up there as a favorite and it's physically painful to know it's so hard to get more of.

I just mixed a little bit with some jojoba oil and scented my hair with it. Man I smell gorgeous!

i finally tried this. i've had it since some time last last year and kept opening and sniffing...i thought it was going to be something quite beautiful and i would need more, but...i was wrong.

wet/in the bottle: sweet and spicey.

dry: cinnamon and plum.

hrm, like all things with any amount of cinnamon, i started to turn bright red...had to apply a cold wash cloth to calm down.

i would have thought the patchouli would peek out more and the same with musk, all i'm getting is cinnamon & plum. the scent isn't very heavy or long lasting and i can barely tell it's in my scent locket and the cotton tab in the locket is soaked.

i even tried putting some in my hair as that seems to help the scent take off, but i could barely smell anything after an hour and when i did smell something, it was only small bits of cinnamon.

this is a bit disappointing, especially since i really slathered it on - my skin ate it reight up where i put it that it didn't turn red. over all, i think it would make a nice summer scent.

Not a fan of the patchouli family, and truly, that's the only part of this that puts me off. Everything else? Fine and dandy. Luckily, the patchouli hits me first, then is kicked in the tookus by the cassia, plum and benzoin. A rich dark scent, that makes me think of the backrooms of the shops in Chinatown.

Initial thoughts: Hmmm... it's not that the notes fill me with dread, exactly - I really like the cassia in The Dodo, mandarin is Ok, I like tonka, plum, tobacco... red musk and patchouli are a bit iffy... it's just that I'm not getting excited. Yet.

In the imp: Cassia, tobacco, a hint of fruit... ok, now I'm excited.

On the wrist, wet: Red musk, which is unfortunate - stuff doesn't like me much - cassia... not much else, actually. I think my skin's drunk this stuff, or I've just tried too many scents today.

Twenty minutes later: Alas, all I'm really getting from this is the muggy, plastic unpleasantness red musk becomes on my skin and cassia - I was hoping that the fruits and tobacco would make this wearable on me, but it's just not doing anything.

Verdict: Swaps you go.

Tl;Dr: The red musk and cassia are the most prominent parts of this for me.

Although I smell mostly plum and musk in the bottle, on my skin the cassia is quite heavy. I only get a little bit of patchouli and benzoin, and not much tobacco at all. Usually red musk is pretty dominant on me, but not in this one. I can tell there's musk in it, but I wouldn't have pegged it as red musk, which is weird because red musk is pretty distinctive.

Mostly it's just a red cassia scent, with some nice patchouli and benzoin underneath. It smells good, and I like it, but on the whole it's just a little too spicy for me personally.