Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Annihilation. The ice, desolation and barrenness of nuclear devastation shot through by a beam of radioactive mints.

In the bottle, this is a cool mint in icy waters.

Once on my, my skin amps up the mint (no problems there :P), but it's grounded by the scent of ice and the frozen ground, which prevents me from attracting all the cats in a 1/2 mile radius to my wrists.

This is a wonderful summer scent for me. It actually makes me feel cooler when I wear it, which is no small feat in the hazy, humid, hot days of NJ summers. It's also good for the days when I want to be minty, but don't want the "Eat Me!!!"-ness of Lick It.

Yes! In the vial it is a super strong minty scent. Its a wake you up and make you alert type scent.

Wet on the skin, that strong mint is very much in the forefront, the mint is like smelling a mint plant (not peppermint, mint) and you start to smell the aquatic scents pop out in there. It does remind me of a cold winters day in that sense.

On drydown the mint mellows some and makes for one of the most awesome scents ever. This one has staying power too. I love this, a lot!

In the bottle: not really smelling mint. Something sharp, definitely, but not anything I'd identify as mint.

Wet: Still sharp, but no mint. Actually, it's kinda earthy/floral. Not really my thing as a general rule.

On tongue: Oops. Now I taste the mint. Must remember to wash hands before falling back into nailbiting habit, at least when I've recently used that finger to apply bpal.

Dry: Faint mint smell, but that could still be left over from the taste test. Still getting the floral thing -- hrm. Actually it kinda smells like evergreens.

Not sure if I'll keep this one or not. I'm more likely to use it as an air freshener, I think.

Nuclear Winter-

In Bottle: Mint and chlorine! Oh, wow. Smells just like a natatorium.

Wet: Ozone-y. I'm in the natatorium but the air temperature just dropped dramatically. A little light sweet floral too.

Dry: Dries down to a soft aquatic. Pleasing. A little bit floral.

Overall: I like!

This one is a really beautiful, fresh-smelling aquatic on me. It's much less minty than Lick It. I think it would be the perfect summer scent, and I'd definitely buy a bottle if it made a reappearance.

Nuclear Winter was not what I was expecting it to be like. Instead of a frozen scent, this is the smell of the world thawing, of new life- I see it more as Nuclear Spring than Nuclear Winter.

There is a definate mint note, although a green mint- not peppermint like Lick It, that's mixed with a beautiful cold aquatic.

In addition to the mint and melting ice I get a bit of greeness, almost like ferns or some sort of grass peeking out from melted snow. It smells just like the end of winter where green things start peeking out of the ground.

Lovely! I think this will be my official end of winter scent.

In the bottle: hard to describe. I find it both aquatic and sharp. I can't recognize the notes (yet).

On my skin: it turns bitter. I smell no mint here, saddly. It's cold yes... maybe some eucalyptus, but soapy one... oh no, wait... it makes me think of toothpaste :/

After a couple of hours: it doesn't morph much, nor does it stay much of it on my skin.

Verdict: I was so sure I'd love this one. I was expecting Lick It older, stricter sister... but no, I don't want to smell like toothpaste (and not even minty toothpaste).

This one, while not as minty as I hoped, is still quite lovely. I get more "herbal" from it than anything, but it is very evocative of its description -- I smell the cold. How can a scent that smells so full remind me of something that is so empty?

Now there's a watery note -- nice! The mint sort of lays in the background for me, there but not throwing.

It also layers rather well with MMU's "cold" blends like Cherubs in the Snow and L'Hotel Blanche Neige, but my search continues for the perfect minty-cold BPAL note. :P Unless Nuclear Winter comes back reformulated with more mint, I'm hoping Snow Flakes (and possibly Black Ice) fill my cold note needs for 2006.

I didn't much care for this one when I first got it, so I put it away for a few months. Now it's awesome. It's one of my favorite hot weather scents.

Cool watery mint with a strangely gingerbread-y drydown. Odd, but addictive. Very cooling and refreshing.

In the bottle: Slushy mint.

On wet: Gorgeous and grassy - like snow melting in a garden full of wild mint.

Drydown: The lovely slush-touched greenery is joined by a light, almost perfumey sweetness - a combination that makes for a fresh, incredibly unique, and downright elegant fragrance. :P

Overall: Even though I get a little sad when the grassy note fades to make room for that drydown-sweetness, this remains one of my favourite "cold" scents, and easily one of my favourite concept blends. 4.5/5

I have been looking for this for a long time, and finally got a partial decant in a swap.

I love it - it is snowy, frosty, icy mints, with a touch of some kind of floral or grass in the background.

I second everyone else who says it might actually be better in the summer than in the winter - although it definitely reflects the winter, it might have cooling effects in the summer. Love it.

Aquatic herbal mint - this is wild mint in an icy garden - none of that candycane sweet mint stuff...

I was wary of mint for some reason; this scent kinda made me wonder why. :P

It's a very soft mint; not too abrasive or strong. It's also a little bit aquatic.

I like the scent of this one, but it doesn't have much throw. Maybe my skin chemistry's wonky lately, because I've tried about 5 scents in the past two days that have had no throw or staying power.

In the bottle: this is crisp and minty. I detect something water-ozone that reminds me of juniper in the background.

On my skin: the mint and juniper comes alive and gives the impression of ice over ground that's been frozen for 3 months.

Drydown: Nuclear Winter stayed true in drydown to its initial application rendering a cool sensation. Perfect year around!

There's something slightly sour amidst the mint. I think I just really dislike aged mint. There's also that slushy pine note that my skin loves to amp to the point where it's overwhelming. Otherwise, it's refreshing and evocative of the desolation it is intended to reflect. Also, I adore the label.

i continue my hunt for the perfect mint bpal. sadly, nuclear winter isn't it for me...it's like an herbal menthol, which makes me smell like toothpaste or extra gum. something just doesn't sit right with my chemistry, so unless it smells better on my SO it's off to swaps.

Cold and minty, and kind of creamy too. It's smooth underneath the startling mint. I like that. It's unexpected!

I don't normally like cold-smelling perfumes OR minty perfumes, but this one is kinda working for me. I'm not sure what it is about this scent, but I actually like it. It reminds me of Villainess' Scintillating soap, which I also like.

Apart from this one, I like exactly ONE cold scent (Snow Bunny) and ONE mint scent (Tokyo Stomp). I don't know, there's just something about Nuclear Winter that grabs me.

It really is a great scent to wear when it's warm out, too.

Oh wow, yum! I have been hankering for Beth's slushy note, and it's divine!

There's evergreen with a wonderful blast of mint and a touch of ozone. The effect really is slushy snow. Initially the green, herbal notes warm the blend, like winter is passing - then the mint rises back and the snow dominates again.

Drying down it softens up to a beautiful minty green, the grassy notes settling down. There's almost a hint of wildflower in there, but it's so distant I might just be confusing it with the creamy sweetening of the evergreen. Either way, it's gorgeous!

:P

I like mint scents, and this one's nice enough scent-wise, but I found myself too weirded-out by the name and concept to wear it. I gave it to friends who are made of sterner stuff, and they said it was a great scent for the oil burner.

So, 2 out of 6 from me, and at least 4 out of 6 from them.

*shudder*

This was my first bottle.

In the imp it smelled like a light floral mint.

Wet, it smelled like a vanilla mint - only without any sweetness. If you took a vanilla extract and added peppermint leaves to it - that's what this semlled like.

It lost some of the vanilla on the drydown, and it ended up being very not sweet mint with a hint of floral and a hint of vanilla.

Essentially, it smelled like working in the herb garden while flowers bloomed - the smell of fresh growing mint with a hint of other scents on the air.

In the imp: Minty, but a different mint than the other minty BPAL scents I like (Snowblind, Tokyo Stomp, etc.)

Wet: This is a spicier mint than I'm used to, and it is amazing. I love this. YUM.

Drydown: This kept the spicy mint scent, but a tiny bit of greenness has come out under it, like the first little sprouts of grass peeking up through the snow. I want buckets of this, gallons and gallons of it so I can bathe in it. It feels so cool and fresh. I wish it had a bit more throw, but that might be my oil-drinking skin.

In Vial: clean, minty, light perfumey

Wet: Slightly sweet mint and something like wet fruits. Maybe a touch of sinus clearing eucalyptus

Later: The mint has disappeared along with the eucalyptus. I am left with a sweet wet fruit scent.

This is actually only slightly minty for me. It's far more Piney and Woody than minty.

Sad because I wanted Minty.

But I have to say it's a great wintery scent and I enjoy it for its own merits now, rather than what I was hoping for