Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Black Phoenix

Our signature oil. A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won’t stop kissing mirrors for a month.

In the vial: Soft almond and rose scent. Quite nice.

Wet: A sickly sweet cherry, rose and almond mix. Way too sweet for me.

Drydown: Powdery Rose Syrup. Concentrated Rose Syrup. Rose Syrup. *Headache*

Overall: Too sweet for my taste, definitely not for me. Edited by Shollin

In the imp: Oooh, cherry. Dark cherry.

Fresh on the skin: Soapy dark cherry.

5 minutes later: Gaaaaaaah soap. Dark cherry-almond soap, sure, but.

10 minutes later: Also, it's making the inside of my elbow itch. That skin is generally more sensitive than my wrists, but still, not everything has this effect.

3 hours later: Soap.

Verdict: Beh. Soap. So sad. :(

One word: soap.

At first, this is awesome! Cherry-almond, layered over something richer and darker, some kind of wood, perhaps sandalwood. There are almost certainly other notes hiding out somewhere, but I really can't sense them. After it dries down, the delicious cherry-almond floats away, and I'm left with something remarkably similar to Seraglio on my skin: an unpleasant, domineering sort of rose over warped, soggy sandalwood. :( Disappointing.

Sweet cherry-rose, with maybe a very faint hint of almond. Throw and staying power are both of average quality. Recommended if sweet rosey blends like Kurukulla work well on you.

This started WHOA is that coconut? Oh, no, thanks gott, it's almond.

Turned floral-soft, and then a bit soapish.

It evolves constantly, but never quite rings my bells.

There must be rose in here because almost nothing else would turn so horrible on my skin. The cherry is stick bright but it develops over this weird muting laundry sheets flatness, and it's also almost baby powder which also turns sour....all at the same time.

Cherry almond rose? Something like that. I can't really tell as I can only sniff out the secondhand mess it must have turned itself from. Like trying to figure out what zombies looked like before they mutated and grew that third...eye.

In the imp: Wow, this doesn't smell like I was expecting at all. To me, it's clean and cool and crisp and fruity.

On, wet: My nose isn't really sophisticated enough to pick out individual notes, but I certainly smell either cherry or almond.

On, dry: Black cherry cola. I want to say that it's nice, but occasionally I get a little whiff of something that smells slightly medicinal.

Initially, it's cherry syrup. On drydown, though...what a change? The syrupy sweetness is gone, being replaced by a powdery kind of wood. A bit soapy, as others have said. Interesting, but not for me.

wowza! :ack:

this is DARK

this is nothing I would normally choose or wear..

but offcorse I was frimped>> YAY!

and I kind a like it :thud:

it is so much better with my skin chemistry then any other dark cherry or almond scent

cause that's what I smell, hot cherries dipped topped with shived almonds!

if you like this you might wanna try: Queen of Sheba, Dana O'Shee, Jailbait, Knave of Hearts

oh AND Seraglio, Black Hellebore!

edited cause of the 2 other scents that popped up :lol:

Edited by lunaticana

This is so lovely in the imp, like almond and something a tad fruity. I think I'm going to like this one!

Oh, no! This starts out so nice....then it turns to strange overpowering withered rose old lady perfume! Nooooo!

Edited by Sweetie666

oh man it smells so much like almond when i opened it up...i just wanted to bathe in it...

too bad it smelled like maja soap when i put it on but I STILL LOVE IT...

i smell like an 80 yr old woman and i LIKE IT.

I love the smell of almonds, but unfortunately the lab blends I try with almond bring me out in a nasty rash, so I never would have ordered it on my own.

My Velvet/Bard order arrived and so does this frimp. It is really wonderful, smokey almond and cherries. I have now been wearing it for nearly an hour and no rash :joy: .

Normally I don't like cherry and have a bad reaction to almond but I absolutely love this. It also has an amazing throw so I'll have to be careful how much I put on.

5/5

In the imp: I for the life of me cant figure out what this reminds me of, something from my deep past... it drove me crazy trying to think of it

wet: I do smell almonds and that same familiar scent.. argh! what IS it!!!???

drydown: Stays strong, turns slightly powdery. This is sexy is in ultrafemme way, like a dress up, lingerie way... I'm not really a dress up lingerie girl, but I could see wearing it at times :D

Omigosh! I just remembered what it smells like.. a strong version of Jergens Original lotion which is cherry/almond. I always loved that lotion.

Its sexy Jergens heh!!

Imp: Cherry with something cologne like underneath

Wet: Really dark cherry. Not bad.

Drydown: Oh dear. Cherry's gone and now it's this...sour rose?

Overall: Can't say I'm a fan. The sourness is just too much to want to work through to see if this changes more.

I can tell immediately this is going to be a good one. Warm and thick. A heavy nectar. Beautiful and sexy, I like this quite a lot!

Yum!

I recieved an imp of this this morning , and am in love! I dabbed some on straight away . Black Phoenix is such a yummy scent, i can see why it their signature scent.

Bottle : Cherry , candy .. yum!

Wrist : Cherry gets a bit stronger

1 hour : Has developed a fruity candy wickedness!

2 hours : Fading just a itty bitty bit (but thats probs because i have been cleaning)

3 hours : I dabbed on a wee bit more , and its back to its yummy cherry scent

5 hours (now) : Still lasting , still strong.

Verdict : I am going to buy a bottle of this! This is lovely stuff! Nice for summer too , yum yum yum. I want to try Candy Phoenix next! :wub:

Wet, it smells like a yummy cherry coke! I usually HATE anything cherry but this is good. Sadly, it dries to a powdery sick floral/almond extract smell. I like it enough to hold on to it for possible layering and to see if it works better with a friend's chemistry or to see if it ages differently.

In the Vial: Very, very sweet. I can definitely pick up some almond, and maybe a touch of cherry.

Wet: There is an initial smell of sweetness that almost instantly fades, and a spicy richness that I didn’t smell in the vial comes up.

Dry down: The spiciness becomes more prominent, and some resinous notes seem to come out to play after a few hours, I think I can smell a bit of amber.

Overall, I like it, but I don’t know if I am going to get a big bottle of it. It’s a fun scent though.

In the imp, I definitely get almonds, with maybe a hint of dark florals or berry lurking in the background? Once on my skin, I get the almonds, but then a darker, kind of spicy scent comes out. ...And then it seems to fade to a pretty nondescript scent, like with King of Hearts earlier today. I think I'm going to need to test this one further, like with Hecate.

Edited by Venneh

Wow, this is my first experience of a BPAL perfume turning on me big time. From the imp I get a nice cherry, almond, rose scent and it's pretty much the same wet on my skin on first contact. About a half hour later it turns into soap on me and stays that way. It isn't even a nice floral soap scent or a sudsiness, but Zest soap. Exactly like Zest soap.

I'm not really disappointed since I only tried Black Phoenix out because it was the lab's signature scent. Just plain curiousity on my part with no expectations. So I like it in the imp, but not on me. Maybe it's time to check out scent lockets.

I was wary of this, since there is no real mention of notes, but this is lovely. A very sexy scent; "languid" is absolutely the best way to describe it. On me, there is definitely something spicy and creamy about it. I could see how it could be almond-based.

Ugh, oh no, this is soap on me. And rose, which I can't stand. That's what I get for ordering imps blindly without reviewing. The almond and cherry in it is nice, but it doesn't save the scent for me.

I have no idea why anyone would call it "dark". I don't really consider rose a dark scent, nor almonds. The cherry, maybe, but this isn't dark at all on me, just plain old soap with mild but underwhelming fragrance.

I think I'm an awful BPALer, all the 'signature' scents do nothing for me. First Snake Oil, then this. Maybe I need to hand in my membership card? :(

In the imp: Something fruity and boozy. Cherry liqueur, maybe? It reminds me a little bit of the single dragon's blood note, but not quite.

Wet: This actually reminds me a lot of the Mad Tea Party scents I've tried thus far. Something in it reminds me a little of Alice (bergamot? milk? I'm not sure). And the cherry note reminds me of Queen of Hearts. It's nice, but not nearly as dark as I expected.

Dry: On the dry down, it is darker, more masculine. I get the 'cologne' scent that others have described. It has that dusky kind of male, maybe aftershave scent to it.

I liked it better wet. :(