Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Belladonna

Belladonna-

The devil’s herb, which he cultivates with skill and pleasure. According to lore, the spirit of this plant may take the form of a breathtaking, achingly beautiful woman, deadly to behold. This scent is a tribute to such a dark and magnificent plant: a rich green and floral blend, earthy and haunting.

In Bottle: Pine. Lots of pine.

Wet: Pine, but there's more. Grass. I'm reminded of a farm in spring because there's almost an organic, animal thing going on here.

Dry: A resinous smell that leaves me saying, "Huh. Interesting." Not one I'll come back to often, but certainly unique. Who knows; I might acquire a taste for it.

Overall: Interesting. I'll come back to it.

In the bottle: Oof! Eucalyptus and camphor, with a woody base.

Wet: Still camphor and eucalyptus, I'm reminded of Vicks Vapo Rub. As it dries down, it gets a bit more earthy and sweet.

Drydown: A very green blend of eucalyptus and other herbs that smell quite strong, and a bit of an earthy undertone, possibly some vetiver and a bit of a dusty scent. It smells a bit aquatic, actually, very much like a pond, with an astringent scent.

Overall: Other than clearing my sinuses, it doesn't have much of an effect on me. It's extremely green, very fresh, it smells like nature, but I don't get any florals to soften it. It's a very vegetal scent, and not really something I could see myself wearing. On the other hand, it does smell as poisonous and cruel as belladonna.

In the imp - It's green! No really the oil is actually green in colour. We likes this we does :P It smells greenish too, theres a touch of floral as well and the slightest touch of astringency.

Wet on skin - The astringent smell is still there but mellowing and the floral is becoming more pronounced.

Dry on skin - Much more eathy now with the florals keeping low and pine floating to the top. Liking this.

Later - The pine is only vaguely there now. Dried down to an earthy floral with a decadent sweetness. Not at all unpleasant. I don't think I'll be wanting a bottle though.

man - this one disappeared almost as fast as it was put on.

Wet - menthol, camphor and eucalyptus

Dry - pine

This one reminds me of the smell of christmas at one of my most hated jobs and I am afraid that just ruins it completely.

Though I love the green color of the oil, the Vicks Vaporub scent doesn't really rub me the right way.

Belladonna:

Wow, the oil is kinda greenish... looks cool!

In the imp, I smell something leafy and minty.... eucalyptus, pine, & wood.

On me, yah I get the vaporub thing goin on. I kinda like it though, I wouldn't wear it as a perfume ....... I think I might layer this with Baku. It's very herbally & medicinal.

Definitely the prettiest colour I've seen so far. Strangely bittersweet. Reminded me of eucalyptus at first, very sharp. But there's something odd mingling with it, a sweet muskiness. When I sniff it, my skin tingles! I can't see myself getting much use out of this as perfume. I'll use the remainder of the imp as a room scent.

This is Hemlocks sweeter and sexier sister :D Oh how I love all oils that are green in color. ;) :P

On my skin this is a sweet juniper. It's an astringent smelling herb with a nice piney resiny feel to it. This reminds me of camping in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. There are some mountains I climb that are surrounded by many different types of needly type of trees :) (heh) This smells exactly like walking through all of them on a slightly cool summer day.

Mmm mmm! I :D Belladonna

Yup, this is also very pine/juniper/eucalyptus to me. It's a great scent to sniff in the imp to wake up the senses. I actually think it works on my skin, but I generally don't want to smell like pine. This will make an excellent bath or room oil.

I smell pine, pine and more pine.... especially at first.... but I can also detect the juniper some have described, as well as the eucalyptus. As for the floral? I'm really not getting it, but perhaps it will come out a bit after I've had this on for a while. It certainly isn't my favorite, but it is hardly unpleasant. Oh wait a minute now. I'm starting to smell something sweeter and almost honey-like trying to peak it's head out and make itself known, like a patch of wildflowers growing in the middle of a pine forest. Hmmm... interesting. Different.

I actually like that it's different, because every so often I get tired of my usual florals and fruity blends and need a big change that day. I also really like that it wakes me up and makes me feel alert and focused. I have such a problem with that, and wind up procrastinating about so much I want or need to do because I get stuck feeling so blah. Well, Belladonna to the rescue.

This is the perfect scent for me to wear while I'm working on NaNoWriMo. Seriously... I smeared on a little of this and I'm like.... hey, bring on the writing. :P I'm definitely not thinking "bottle" with this one, but I could certainly see keeping an imp around.

Edited by glass_cat

In the bottle: I smell juniper and mint: herbal and medicinal, evergreen, with a touch of sweetness.

Wet: It took on a hint of citrus, reminding me of lemongrass. This is an unusual one, for certain.

Drying down: Rather than acting like a holiday evergreen, this blend has decidedly taken a turn toward cat pee. I can still smell the juniper underneath.

Dry: It's warming up and mellowing out a bit. The juniper is brighter again. That nagging feeling of cat pee is still in the background.

Later: I can see how this can be a really intriguing scent on some. It is herbal and floral, medicinal and green. Yeah, the juniper is not for everyone. It works on me in Yule. In Belladonna, the cat-pee thing is off-putting.

I don't like this one. As soon as I put it on it was pretty much screaming pine at me. I am *so* allergic to pine. Crap. Ummmm....it smells a little like old school Pine Sol.

I gotta warn you... this smell's astringent and medicinal in the bottle. WHEW! :P

WET: Nyquil meet's eucalyptus

Some time later: The medicinal element burns away, and it smell herbal/green with ... yes, juniper.

Drydown: Dry, brisk, echo's of herbal/green/juniper.

Not much of a fan of juniper, and I'm itching to wash this off me. My least favorite bpal scent to date.

Belladonna starts out as a sharp, medicinal scent, but on the dry-down becomes a warm, spicy and only slightly sweet scent.

I can certainly imagine a night-time forest, and a beautiful leaf-clad lady who wavers in and out of my vision. Although I can't be sure if she is just a flower, after all.

Very, very green. I'm getting a lot of menthol and eucalyptus, which doesn't surprise me given the color. I do get a touch of florals underneath. This strikes me more as a room scent than a scent to wear. I'm not sure if I'll keep this or not.

In the imp: Very green and herbal.

Wet: Camphor and dirt. Lurking underneath is a hint of green corruption.

Dryish: Now it's morphed into the scent of an old gardener after a day of working in an old garden--he smells of rotting vegetation, body odor, dirt, and a helping of Ben-Gay for his aching joints. Not something I want to smell like.

Overall: Not for me. I couldn't even let it dry fully because it seemed like it got stronger and stronger. My chemistry amped whatever note that smells like body odor on me--and all from a tiny dot on my wrist.

In the imp: A green menthol, leafy smell. Green as the oil itself.

Wet on the skin: A slight earthy/mossy scent but the menthol/pine notes rule and the whole thing is washed with a green medicinal smell. Interesting for sure...

Drying down: The whole scent is backing down and behaving a lot better. A light floral peeks thru. I can't put my finger on exactly what type of floral...seems a bit dry but with the humidity of the forest I'm not sure.

Dry: Actually kind of nice. A sweetness. Complex greens and a tad of flowers on the edge of a mossy patch...a little resinous pine (but not overwhelmingly so).

But there is a strange, fleeting bite of something medicinal, green toxic juices flowing just underneath the pretty flower. Not sure if I like it...yet I was drawn to keep sniffing at it! And the scent lasted quite some time.

Overall: Not for everybody, and not easy to wear.

This is a dangerous flower. It lures you in with sweetness and the little sharp tang reminds you of that it's toxic. I couldn't keep away from it. I kept sniffing at it and liking it more each time. I'm not sure of I'm ready for a bigger bottle, but I will use the imp.

I dunno, it's dangerous and I'm getting hooked on it.

In the imp: Grassy and spicy herbal. Very green and invigoratingly delicious.

Wet/Drydown: Evil Christmas tree! Herbal-sharp and fresh and biting and venomous and green and dripping. It bites you, quick like a snake, but it turns you instantly into a masochist, desperately wanting it to bite again, loving the pain. A bit drier, and a very dry, dusty earth note creeps in, not that lovely damp earth smell, but different. This really does smell like a plant in the earth, out in nature. It’s amazingly evocative. I don’t really get anything floral in this at all.

Dry: Settles down a bit. It’s still very green and herbal, but there’s a slight acrid tone creeping into it, the same one that’s a lot stronger in Brimstone. I like the wet/drydown phase better, and I would’ve upgraded this to a big bottle purchase if the scent had stayed in that phase. As it is, I’ll use the imp.

In Bottle: If Sweet Tarts grew on a bush, this it what that plant would smell like.

Wet: Still the Sweet Tarts like scent, but it's fading to reveal a powdery scent.

Dry: The initial sweet tart-ness has faded, leaving a slightly sharp or acidic green plant scent, perhaps a little like aloe. It's rounded by a powdery scent.

That's how it smells directly under my nose. From a distance (for example, sitting here typing), I smell baby powder. I can't smell any of the green plant at all.

I'll update this after I've worn it a few hours, but I think that this is one for swaps. I like the green plant aspect, although it isn't for me -- at least, not in this blend. However, the overwhelming similarity to baby powder makes it a definite no go for my skin. I really don't like that aspect of this fragrance.

Edited by naeelah

At first sniff in the imp, and when it's fresh on my skin, this smells exactly like "green" should smell, without florals. It also seems a tiny bit amber-y or incensey. But within half an hour, it turns to something slightly cedar, with a little bit of smoke thrown in, and something reminiscent of moss. It smells...dead, for lack of a better word, compared to the bright alive green it looked in the imp. I got it as a frimp, but it's still kind of unfortunate.

Something in Belladonna smells incredibly familiar, but I have no idea what it is. It's dark and green, and somewhat sharp with what is possibly cedar in the background. It sort of smells like walking through an old, Southern cemetery at dusk, with overhanging tree branches and crumbling tombstones with moss on them.

To me this smells of aloe vera, mint, and eucaliptus. It is very green and fresh, a little bit bitter, and a little bit medicinal. An advantage: it smells on me exactly like it does in the vial. the disadvantgae: it irritates my skin.

Actually, I think it works better as a man scent. If my boyfriend likes it, I'll give it to him. I like other "men's" scents like Casanova, but this is too serious and sober for me.

ETA: The Boy loved it. After I got used to smelling it on him, I feel a pine note that comes and goes.

Edited by Nia

I didn't get so much pine here, which was a relief. I did get juniper, though, which wasn't. There's an astringent greenness to it at first which sort of started to rot after I had it on a while. There's maybe a hint of floral but it's hard to smell it under the juniper and green.