Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Belladonna

The devil’s herb, which he cultivates with skill and pleasure. According to lore, the spirit of this plant may take the form of a breathtaking, achingly beautiful woman, deadly to behold. This scent is a tribute to such a dark and magnificent plant: a rich green and floral blend, earthy and haunting.

This is the first BPAL scent that I really don't like! Well, there have to be at least a couple I guess.

Smells VERY much like Vicks Vapo-Rub or Pine-Sol on me.

Belladonna

In the Vial: Like others have mentioned, super strong almost chemical scent. Menthol. Eek!

Verdict: Ultimately, I'm scared to skin-test this and I'll pass this on, as surely, though it's not for me, this is the kind of scent for someone out there. :)

I find it a bit strange when I see people calling Belladona sharp or bitter. I think it's a bit comforting in a cool and soothing way. Plus, no matter what I do I always get hints of marshmallow after about an hour or so of skin contact. Strange but pleasant in it's own way. I'll definately use up the imp but I don't know if I'll buy a bottle.

In bottle: it’s pleasantly sharp and very dark green. It may have vetiver, I’m not sure. There’s a smokiness to the earthiness. Wet; That’s not good. It smells like burning brush. Ick. Dry: Scortched Vetiver.In bottle: it’s pleasantly sharp and very dark green. It may have vetiver, I’m not sure. There’s a smokiness to the earthiness. Wet; That’s not good. It smells like burning brush. Ick. Dry: Scortched Vetiver.

Uhg. This smells like some kind of medicinal ointment, and it makes my sinuses burn.

On my skin it smells sort woodsy, herbal, and dark. I don't like it, but it's compelling in the way that unusual features can make a person visually compelling rather than merely beautiful. That is a compliment, even if it doesn't sound like it.

The scent becomes a softer floral version of itself the longer I wear it, gradually taking on a velvety texture.

There is something darkly magical smelling about this, like it's supercharged with malign intent. I am going to wear this when I am feeling bitchy. I think people would subconsciously know to give me space.

PS: The oil itself is a pale absinthe green, very pretty.

it's very green, and almost bitter. however i don't get that much pine out of it- just a hint. that being said it's not overpowering and is almost what i would call light. it's not overly green and it doesn't smell like floor cleaner by any means, which is a problem i have with some of the greener blends. it's lovely underneath my CT:frankincense.

In the imp: Wow, this is really green! And I don't mean the color of the oil :lol: although it is a beautiful pale green. I mean, this is one of the few times an oil has actually smelled like a color to me. No florals that I can detect.

Wet: Pine-Sol! Undiluted, chemical, straight from the bottle Pine-Sol. Still no floral anything.

Dry: Pine needles. The chemically smell is gone, but pine is still all I get. This would smell lovely in a candle around Christmas time, but it's not a hit on my skin.

Source: Lab decant

In the decant: The Nyquil comparison others have mentioned is right on. Herbal with a touch of licorice.

Wet: Strongly herbal. Some evergreen, some eucalyptus, a bit of something I process as "dirt" and moss.

Dry: There is an undertone of sweet floral here, but it remains, to my nose, a bitter scent overall, even as it dries down and softens.

Also, this is the most bright green perfume oil I've ever seen.

In the imp and freshly-applied, this is a very sharp medicinal herbal scent. I was so put off by it that it took me almost 2 months to get up the guts to try it.

I'm glad I did! While I probably won't spring for a whole vial, the sharpness cools off - minty and bright. Still herbal and green. I like.

This would be a good scent to wear on those mornings I just can't seem to wake up. It's very "Hoo-ah! I'm awake now! Ready to go!"

Wet: Sort of... minty? Piney? No no no, it reminds me of eucalyptus! Flowery eucalyptus. Very sharp and astringent, but not unpleasant.

Drydown: The eucalyptus is fading fast, and Belladonna turns into a cold, sharp floral.

Dry: The sharpness has all but disappeared, leaving a soft, very green floral behind. Understated. It's a lot nicer than I expected, but it's really good. I'm going to enjoy using this when I want to feel sophisticated.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Probably

It smells like an old fashioned chest rub my grandmother would smear on me when I was sick as a child. Pine tar and camphor. On one hand it reminds me of her taking care of me as a child, on the other... Phew!

Sorry bpal this one is not a winner for me.

Belladonna is mostly peppermint and vetiver on me with an unidentified herbal note - perhaps sage - and a discreet base of patchouli. It's green and exuberant and bitter and a little earthy, very much like an overgrown garden. Unfortunately, the throw is very light and the scent fades on me in about an hour. I enjoy it though - it's comforting and a bit nerdy in a botanical sort of way.

The oil colour is a pale yellowish green - I was expecting a bright kelly green from the enthusiastic reviews and was a tad disappointed. Oh well!

Rating: 4/5

All I got out of Belladonna was vetiver -- pure, unrelieved vetiver. It started out raw, smoky, and rough-edged, and smoothed out a little over several hours, but I never did smell anything else from it. (Perhaps I amp vetiver?) Anyhow, it was an interesting, mysterious, deep green scent, but as a coworker pointed out, it didn't smell like me at all. I think I'll pass on this one...

Belladonna is very green and the earthiness kind of reminds me of psilocybin. It is subtely white floral with a spicy edge. I dig it.

This is way too medicinal for my liking. In the vial and on my skin, it smells like Vick's combined with something earthy, like patchouli, which is never my friend. I'm picking up on vetiver too, which I also despise. Worth trying if you really like your outdoorsy earthy blends.

in the bottle: Woody, dank, musty, strong resin-y. Like fresh compost and old forest floor. Actually, I like it!

On the skin: Oh, now I smell fresh-cut wood, like in my grandfather’s woodshop! There’s still some green wood, though, freshly cut and set to dry; mostly pine, I think. I definitely like this one!

Later: 20 minutes: Oh, now I smell green growing things deep in the woods, maybe woodland violets and ferns. Still fresh-cut wood, too. But now it’s hardwoods. Oak most likely. Still a very good scent.

Much later: Oh! Now I smell Christmas! Bayberry, maybe? More florals are coming through now, but the fresh-cut wood is still there, in the dark forest late at night, waiting…

a few hours later: Christmas in Southern Germany! Lots of green forest, bayberry, wood smoke from the chimneys and fresh-made sweets for the holidays! This is a VERY pleasant memory for me and it works well on my finicky skin! Buying a bottle!

As soon as I applied this I thought perhaps I had mixed up the imps and applied Siren instead. I get the same sort of creamy ginger-ale scent from both of them while it's wet. It's a ginger-ish smell but without all the bite of ginger.

A few minutes later it starts to mellow a bit and becomes a bit more herby and woodsy. Not a heavy wood, but fresh and light. Juniper? with a hint of pine perhaps. I still have a rookie nose so forgive me.

Not terribly strong and has very little throw on me, but most of the BPAL's are that way on me so far. My skin seems to be eating it rather quickly, sigh.

A lovely fresh slightly creamy woodsy ginger-ale-ish scent. I need to re-test and slather, but it's on the "like it a lot" list so far.

Imp: very sharp like vick's or noxema.

Wet: still vicks but with a tiny hint of dirt.

Drydown: starting to get a bit of pine.

Dry: still vick's noxema, and pine.

Overall: not for off to swaps.

ETA: after letting this age for over a year, I gave it another shot.

imp/wet: very herbal, sharp, and almost pine.

Drydown: not so sharp, and almost has a creamy scent to it. it's nice.

Dry: dry spice, very dusty with a slight hint of patchouli.

Overall: it's really grown on me. Think I'll keep it after all.

Edited by Dani87

Belladonna starts out as a lush pine blend but quickly morphs into a very subtle creamy, light floral swathed in eucalyptus and a bit of wood; how strange, yet so wonderful! Like Dani87, I'm having flashbacks of my junior high Noxzema routine, but I like it. :lol:

I'm really shocked that I like this. I bet this would be fantastic for layering. I wouldn't be surprised if I reach for this on a weekly basis.

In the Imp (ITI): Dark, mysterious green vines, with hints of pitch and pine, and perhaps a little juniper season the air. Delicious. If you are a fan of green scents, this way be a winner.

Wet: I still get the sharp green note reminiscent of pine and juniper, but there is now an earthy quality to the scent, which may be a soil note.

Dry: Early in the day, I noticed an odd, sweat-like or sour quality that seemed to be linked with the scent. When I retest it, it's there once the juniper calms down underneath everything. It could be that I'm not responding well to the soil note, though. I really want to like this, but that after note is a deal-breaker for me.

Other Impressions: Citronella and ammonia, which my husband finds odd. He does, however, think it's nice

I really, REALLY wanted to like Belladonna. Unfortunately, she doesn't like me.

In the bottle: Mmmm, pine-y inscense-y goodness! Think I'll like this one!

Wet: OMF'inGawd! Medicinal incense is the only way to describe it. Very HIGH throw. Argggh, it's everywhere! :ack:

Dry down: Okay, maybe a little better, getting some warm undertones, but it's still making me think of New Age shops filled with surgeons tools, AKA me no likey.

Verdict: I had to wash it off after less than an hour of wearing it. Memo to self- never open again.

1/5

Sorry, but this is absolutely disgusting. Smells like disinfectant in the rest room of a filthy restaurant. Awful awful awful.

Imp: Very mentholic and piney. Smells like cleaning fluid. And yet I find it somehow... refreshing?

Wet: Less industrial cleaner, more pine forest. It still has that hint of cleaner though. I actually don't find offensive, though I doubt I'd want to smell like this often if at all.

Dry: The super-mentholic cleaner smell has dissipated and I'm left with a woody, piney scent that now reminds me of gerbil bedding. Nicht gut.

In the imp: Sharp green herby floral.

Wet on skin: Interesting. Still sharp and green, but I'm getting a distinct Vicks Vaporub scent off of this now.

Dried down: Ok, the Vicks scent is still there, but it's faded down to mingle with the green herbalness. It's more like camphor now.

Throw: Camphor, soft and sweet.

Verdict: *** 1/* I like this a lot, but I don't think I really need it. Mostly I like the camphor scent, but I have a few others that will do that job just fine, I think.

As a lover of deep herbals I ordered this a while ago as an imp, the name caught my eye too :)

In imp: a kind of strange pale like green colour, on opening my nose was assaulted by the smell of some overpowered pine disinfectant....so far I don't like at all! But to try it on and get on with it

Wet on skin: still smells pretty bad! :( it's a not so nice mix of bitter herbal, pine disinfectant that's still pretty overpowering to me :( though after about 20-30 mins I do start to smell some faint berry sweetness coming through

Dry on skin: so, it's been almost 1-2 hours since application, now I'm getting a lot of sweetness! It smells like the bitterness has slowly retreated to the background and letting the deadly berries come out and play, though there's still a fair bit of pine wood in the mix, then there's a smokey note coming to join in with the berries

My verdict: horrible at the start, even if you are a fan of deep bitter herbal mixes, not for me, though after a few hours it is quite nice, shame it's quite a faint smell, if it had better throw once dried, I probably would wear out in the evening, not a daytime scent. Will finish the imp but not a bottle for me